The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

It's Time For Guards To Be Killable!

Night_Wolf2112
Night_Wolf2112
✭✭✭✭
With 1 Tam going gang busters right now... I think it's time for us, the citizens of Tamriel, to be able to fight back against the immune guard overlords in the major towns!

Just give them stats like the almost impossible to solo World Bosses, and make it so only the caught/spotted criminal can actually fight back. This won't lead to mass murder of the cities guards but will allow that slim hope of taking one down. IF you do happen to beat a guard into submission, your bounty triples!

Escaping guards is BEYOND EASY these days. So I think this will add another level of difficulty for those wanting to give it a go!
  • Mic1007
    Mic1007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless it takes a really large band of criminals to kill a guard, they will never be alive.
    @Mic1007
    Champion Rank 900+
    DC/AD/EP
    PC NA

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another one of these threads (sigh) ...
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No ty, enough buzz in towns with dueling already. I don't find any added value in raiding a guard tbh. Just imagine all the noise and lightning you usually get on a world boss or dolmen but inside a City or Town. :persevere:
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Guards are killable, they do like no dmg. A group of 4 can kill em easy.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • vonScuzzman
    vonScuzzman
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's not that time.
    XBox One NA
  • Cloudless
    Cloudless
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it's not that time.

^
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, stupid idea, we put up with dead bodies all over the floor because lazy sods don't clean up after themselves, we put up with duelling in the bloody market place and the bloody bank! No!!! Enough!!! Sod off to pvp land if you want to get slaughtered
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rex-Umbra wrote: »
    Guards are killable, they do like no dmg. A group of 4 can kill em easy.

OP is talking about the town guards in PvE ... not the keep/resource guards in PvP.
  • will_rob87
    will_rob87
    ✭✭✭
    No, stupid idea, we put up with dead bodies all over the floor because lazy sods don't clean up after themselves, we put up with duelling in the bloody market place and the bloody bank! No!!! Enough!!! Sod off to pvp land if you want to get slaughtered

It won't just be the bodies everywhere that will be annoying. The guard's serve an important purpose: preventing the entire population of the town from being slaughtered. OP, u may enjoy killing everybody, but a lot of people will find it very frustrating waiting for shop NPCs to spawn so that they can sell their stuff. There is already thousands of kill able characters out there. Why do u need a few more?
  • Night_Wolf2112
    Night_Wolf2112
    ✭✭✭✭
    I understand the resistance to the idea.... but it's just like Dueling... you don't have to participate! You can still just run away! Also, I said, 'Only the spotted criminal can fight back! This means, you can't just outright attack a guard, and no one else can help you. So there won't be groups of people taking them down. The guard initiates the fight/'duel' and you choose to accept/fight back or deny/run away! And give them stats that make a 1 on 1 almost impossible but still doable if handled correctly.
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't have killable Guards without introducing player Enforcers.

This topic was brought up many times, and it usually ends up spinning in circles.
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If guards were killable, the only possibilities I can reasonably foresee are:

1. Nothing changes, only foolish thieves even attempt to fight back and no one helps because lol
    2. gangs of players constantly kill all the guards, because if you can kill the guards then who cares. unstoppable open crime at all times.

And if there's some unreasonably powerful force that comes in after the guards are killed, then why did we make them killable in the first place?
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • KimberlyannKitsuragi
    What about making it so important quest npcs and all traders and merchants are not to be killed? I know we have the prevent attacking innocents but some merchants and npcs don't have that white glow deeming them innocent and thus killable. Just code it so shopkeepers and quest npcs don't have the option to be killed and everything else is fair game?
    Feel free to add me. I'm part of the Gummy Guars PC/Mac NA server. Master crafter and working on getting 9 traits on everything
  • will_rob87
    will_rob87
    ✭✭✭
    Meri20098 wrote: »
    What about making it so important quest npcs and all traders and merchants are not to be killed? I know we have the prevent attacking innocents but some merchants and npcs don't have that white glow deeming them innocent and thus killable. Just code it so shopkeepers and quest npcs don't have the option to be killed and everything else is fair game?

But then how long until people want to kill them as well? I can't really see the need to kill the guard's when there plenty of other enemies
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.

I'd like to see better AI for the guards
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i agree with killable guards.
    the only NPC that should be "UNkillable" are the quest givers.
  • tnanever
    tnanever
    ✭✭✭
    With 1 Tam going gang busters right now... I think it's time for us, the citizens of Tamriel, to be able to fight back against the immune guard overlords in the major towns!

Just give them stats like the almost impossible to solo World Bosses, and make it so only the caught/spotted criminal can actually fight back. This won't lead to mass murder of the cities guards but will allow that slim hope of taking one down. IF you do happen to beat a guard into submission, your bounty triples!

Escaping guards is BEYOND EASY these days. So I think this will add another level of difficulty for those wanting to give it a go!

I agree. Guards should be called with increased power/numbers as the fight goes on. The fight should be impossible to win, but much more interesting. Your bounty should keep increasing as you continue to fight/kill guards, with no upper limit.

People who fight guards often would have bounties in the 100s of thousands, which would dissuade this behavior naturally.
  • SaibotLiu
    SaibotLiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's time for player bounties when you go on an npc killing spree through town.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i agree with killable guards.
    the only NPC that should be "UNkillable" are the quest givers.

and store merchants.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like dueling didn't make going to town awful enough.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh, not THIS argument again.

No they should not be killable.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish they would figure out something different for the guards. I'm not sure the perfect solution though.

But, even though I'm fine with dismissing un-immersive things at times, the immortal guard are horrible. Why was I killing Molag Bal when you could just send one of them? Why is a thieves den two feet away from this immortal guard with an obvious door and he doesn't take it out? Why are non-immortal guards in cyrodiil when that would be the smartest place to use them?

Just too many obvious story breakers involved for me.

edit: tnanever above this post has probably the best idea I've seen. On top of what he pitched I'd add no XP for killing a guard so their would be no reason to farm them.
    Edited by xaraan on October 31, 2016 7:07PM
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure I agree entirely; but I do agree it's time for change. I'm tried of the problem with them being invincible and you not being able to leave a building if they are aggroed inside. Please ZOS, some form of a change is due! Also, big fan of One Tamriel.
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meri20098 wrote: »

Are players with bounties fair game?
    If yes, i support this message.
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • Jimbullbee85
    Jimbullbee85
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I think they should be killable as long as criminals stack up a huge bounty per justicar killed and go to jail for a whole week when finally hunted down and caught by a bigger group of armed baddass law keepers. When you go on the login screen all you see is the sad eyes of your character in a dark cell behind bars.
    Jimbullbee, Templar healer battlemage
  • AuldWolf
    AuldWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanks. The obnoxious PvP trolls are bad enough. Without guards, the hassle caused by troublemakers would see an immediate population drop of at least 70/80~ per cent. It would be suicide on ZOS's part to do this.
  • N2woR
    N2woR
    ✭✭✭
    Unkillable guards and they sent me to kill Molg Bal.... Pact logic!
    [PS4]
    Guilds
    Snowborn Wolf Pack Elite
    Snowborn Wolf Pack
    Toons
    Grim Myth - Nord DK Tank
    Just Grim - Redguard Stam Sorc

• raidentenshu_ESO
    raidentenshu_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    N2woR wrote: »
    Unkillable guards and they sent me to kill Molg Bal.... Pact logic!

They be saying this to you :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4carRSKAnFQ
    Edited by raidentenshu_ESO on October 31, 2016 10:46PM
  • Valethar
    Valethar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some people just want to watch the world burn.
    Resistance is not futile! Say no to the Greed Collective™. Boycott Crown Crates.
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they are already killable, just very hard to do

making them easy to kill would take the risk out of the thieving/assassinating system, invalidating and breaking that content.

If I could just kill the guards, why bother sneaking around for the perfect backstab or pick pocket? Why bother ever paying off my bounty, just kill the guards and do what I will!

Nope.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]