Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO PC/Mac Launcher Issues – Update 12

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
We have several issues involving the ESO Launcher since Update 12 was released that we’re working on addressing, but want to provide some clarity and workarounds until these fixes are in place.

Server selection on launcher only says “The Elder Scrolls Online (NA)”
This is a known display error associated with the Update 12 patch that results in the ESO Launcher displaying "The Elder Scrolls Online (NA)" as your only server option. Please note that the launcher no longer indicates which Megaserver you are connecting to, and the option to choose your server is now found within the in-game login screen.

Can’t switch to EU megaserver
First, make sure you’re selecting the Live EU megaserver from the in-game login screen; it is no longer done from the Launcher. Once you select Live EU, it may take several minutes for the server selection to update. Wait until you see the MotD change to reference EU before you log into the game.

If you've tried the above and still can't connect to EU after waiting several minutes, try selecting Live, then switch back to Live-EU and wait until the MotD updates.

We've also heard from some players that logging into Live first, logging out, then selecting Live EU and logging in has a good success rate.

EU characters appear to be missing
Make sure you’re logging into the correct server by choosing your preferred server at the in-game login screen, then wait until you see the MotD change to reference EU. Logging in before this occurs will place you in the NA megaserver.

Realm Status icon is missing
This was temporarily removed since server selection is now done in-game, but we do plan on adding some sort of notification to the launcher in the future. In the meantime, you can check realm status through the MotD on the launcher and login screen, visiting the Service Alerts page, keeping an eye on the forums for updated banners, or following us on Twitter @TESOnline.

Computer reboots during patch download
This is due to an update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable. Once this update is applied, your patch progress should continue. In the event you get stuck in a rebooting loop, you can visit Microsoft’s page to download the update manually.

Entire game (40GB) is being downloaded instead of just the patch (2.3GB)
EU players may find this is happening after the Launcher update is complete. Close the launcher. Navigate to where you have ESO installed on your machine, and open the “Launcher” directory. Open “launcher.settings” in Notepad (or any preferred document editor) and look for the “region”:”EU” entry. Change this to read “region”:”US”, and save the launcher.settings file. The launcher can now be reopened and the patch continued.

If “region” is already set to “US” in settings, then navigate to where you have ESO installed on your machine. If you see a newly-created folder titled “Elder Scrolls Online”, delete that. Then, rename your original folder titled “Elder Scrolls Online EU” to just “Elder Scrolls Online.” When you re-open the launcher, you will download the 2.3GB patch rather than the entire game.
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Tendrielle
    Tendrielle
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Gina, and once again, as you did not mention this:

When on the Login screen in the left column "LIVE(EU)" is already selected, but the message in the notification window on the bottom says "North American", you will end up on the American server.

As a workaround, you need to change the server to "LIVE" (=NA) and then back to "LIVE-EU". Every time you log in.
    The message in the window on the bottom will update in due time and you can finally play again on the EU Server.

EDIT says its included in Gina's message now :-) Thanks!
    Edited by Tendrielle on October 6, 2016 7:35PM
  • Franieck
    Franieck
    ✭✭✭✭
    My launcher is stuck at "loading" so I can't even start the download... How do I solve this?
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Tendrielle wrote: »

When on the Login screen in the left column "LIVE(EU)" is already selected, but the message in the notification window on the bottom says "North American", you will end up on the American server.

As a workaround, you need to change the server to "LIVE" (=NA) and then back to "LIVE-EU". Every time you log in.
    The message in the window on the bottom will update in due time and you can finally play again on the EU Server.

Yep, just realized we need to add that too. Stand by for an edit to the post...
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Alex_Lex
    Alex_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tendrielle wrote: »

Yep, just realized we need to add that too. Stand by for an edit to the post...

And we should wait for up to 3-4 min to see that the server name in the announcements changed.
    Edited by Alex_Lex on October 6, 2016 8:20PM
    EU: Beatrice gra-Brog, Rebellie, Yshterie, Jearra , Lirielline
    Christess, Fleuretta, Jubilee Cake, Braviliana, Onyxette
    M'adjirra, Dances-around-Nirn, Nerieth, Estrice, Ann der Wood
    Éternelle, Burns-all-the-babies, Jyggurag
    NA: Dice Twice, Nikka from the barrel
  • Niaver
    Niaver
    ✭✭✭✭
    What about other problems, not connected to launcer?
    For instance, quest marks not working, empy and bugged map in Craglorn?
    PC EU - Daggerfall Covenant - @Niaver
    Erazar (main) - Khajit DK tank

Proud owner of Maelstrom Sharpened Bow
  • BigBressler
    BigBressler
    ✭✭
    This is due to an update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable. Once this update is applied, your patch progress should continue. In the event you get stuck in a rebooting loop, you can visit Microsoft’s page to download the update manually.

I followed the link and reinstalled to the newest version, but it still forces a reboot on my computer. Running Windows 10: 64-bit.
    Main: Ioannes Jun Bressler - CP 560+ - Imperial Templar Tank
  • Truepotato
    Ok, I finally got to log in in the forum [ ask a GM to create a acc here for me lol ]

Patch realease : update the game - OK

Log in the game [ 0 addons ] - dont have quest markers - dont have skill animations - I can't see that hit numbers on mobs - amazing lag - everthing looking weird.

Try everthing that you guys say here.
    And I unistall and re-install the game from 0 and nothing.

I'm trying to get some kinda of light from the gm on the support,but,so far nothing.

Before the patch? Everthing was just fine >_<

* sorry for the english
  • WyndStryke
    WyndStryke
    ✭✭✭
    Truepotato wrote: »
    .... - dont have skill animations - I can't see that hit numbers on mobs - amazing lag - everthing looking weird....

Have you previously edited the UserSettings.txt to change the worker thread limit? If you did, change it back to the original value of -1.

• Truepotato
    WyndStryke wrote: »
    Truepotato wrote: »
    .... - dont have skill animations - I can't see that hit numbers on mobs - amazing lag - everthing looking weird....

Have you previously edited the UserSettings.txt to change the worker thread limit? If you did, change it back to the original value of -1.

Yes,I changed,don't work,so I changed back,don't work again,so I take the user from another player in another post,don't work,so I changed back to the original . xD

Edit. I will going to delete the live folder and start the game,that way I thing that will creat a [new] folder from 0 lmao

/\ Don't work too ahahaha
    Edited by Truepotato on October 6, 2016 9:57PM
  • Truepotato
    Found something weird now *img
  • WeerW3ir
    WeerW3ir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have several issues involving the ESO Launcher since Update 12 was released that we’re working on addressing, but want to provide some clarity and workarounds until these fixes are in place.

Server selection on launcher only says “The Elder Scrolls Online (NA)”
    This is a known display error associated with the Update 12 patch that results in the ESO Launcher displaying "The Elder Scrolls Online (NA)" as your only server option. Please note that the launcher no longer indicates which Megaserver you are connecting to, and the option to choose your server is now found within the in-game login screen.

First, make sure you’re selecting the Live EU megaserver from the in-game login screen; it is no longer done from the Launcher. Once you select Live EU, it may take several minutes for the server selection to update. Wait until you see the MotD change to reference EU before you log into the game.

If you've tried the above and still can't connect to EU after waiting several minutes, try selecting Live, then switch back to Live-EU and wait until the MotD updates.

EU characters appear to be missing
    Make sure you’re logging into the correct server by choosing your preferred server at the in-game login screen, then wait until you see the MotD change to reference EU. Logging in before this occurs will place you in the NA megaserver.

Realm Status icon is missing
    This was temporarily removed since server selection is now done in-game, but we do plan on adding some sort of notification to the launcher in the future. In the meantime, you can check realm status through the MotD on the launcher and login screen, visiting the Service Alerts page, keeping an eye on the forums for updated banners, or following us on Twitter @TESOnline.

EU players may find this is happening after the Launcher update is complete. Close the launcher. Navigate to where you have ESO installed on your machine, and open the “Launcher” directory. Open “launcher.settings” in Notepad (or any preferred document editor) and look for the “region”:”EU” entry. Change this to read “region”:”US”, and save the launcher.settings file. The launcher can now be reopened and the patch continued.

If “region” is already set to “US” in settings, then navigate to where you have ESO installed on your machine. If you see a newly-created folder titled “Elder Scrolls Online”, delete that. Then, rename your original folder titled “Elder Scrolls Online EU” to just “Elder Scrolls Online.” When you re-open the launcher, you will download the 2.3GB patch rather than the entire game.

i.... i.... LOVE YOU !!4 O.O (you know what way...)
    its fixed. DOBBY IS FREE!

THANK YOU!
  • Trublz
    Trublz
    ✭✭✭
    Was playing the game and had to run to the store. Exited game, launcher was up and normal.
    When I came back the launcher was up but all that is on it is the map of tamriel and the word loading. No loading bar no game options, nothing.
    I've tried closing and reopening and restarting my computer but this didn't change anything.
    Anyone have any idea what could be going on??
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Edited by Trublz on October 6, 2016 10:56PM
    CP531 Air-eez Redguard DK DPS
    CP531 Hayd-eez Imperial DK Tank
    CP531 SomethinFishy Khajit NB DPS
    CP531 Heracl-eez Orc Sorc DPS
    CP531 Anark-eez Dark Elf DK DPS
    CP531 Herm-eez Breton Temp DPS
  • Truepotato
    Well,after waiting for more then 36hrs,talk to 3 GM the only thing that they say was : /reloadUI - reapir the game.

So...I give up.

Seens that is not going to be fix any time soon
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got something different, I got the dialog from MS setup which says something about the setup having problems and did it install correctly, I answered 'yes' because I had no idea one way or the other .. it did NOT reboot.

Edited by KerinKor on October 6, 2016 11:52PM
  • Night_Watch
    Night_Watch
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

(Sorry! This is a long post - as needed.)

Gina;

I have not played TESO for a little while (a month maybe) but wanted to try again today and started the launcher.

The launcher went through the (expected) update to itself and the the game. On reaching 100% the launcher simply froze!

I closed the launcher and restarted only to see that it was trying to DL the entire game again - very slowly.

As instructed in your post, I closed the launcher. I'll reoprt within quote;
    EU players may find this is happening after the Launcher update is complete. Close the launcher.

Closed Launcher!

Navigate to where you have ESO installed on your machine, and open the “Launcher” directory. Open “launcher.settings” in Notepad (or any preferred document editor) and look for the “region”:”EU” entry. Change this to read “region”:”US”, and save the launcher.settings file. The launcher can now be reopened and the patch continued.

Already reads US.

If “region” is already set to “US” in settings, then navigate to where you have ESO installed on your machine. If you see a newly-created folder titled “Elder Scrolls Online, delete that.

No! The folder is "The Elder Scrolls Online" and is dated long before today.

Then, rename your original folder titled “Elder Scrolls Online EU” to just “Elder Scrolls Online.” When you re-open the launcher, you will download the 2.3GB patch rather than the entire game.

Continued outside of quote;

There is no "Elder Scrolls Online EU" folder as above comment, the folder is "The Elder Scrolls Online". Surely deleting this deletes the entire game as there is no other TESO folder shown save for "Launcher" and "uninstall".

So! I renamed the folder "The Elder Scrolls Online" to "The Elder Scrolls Online Old" and restarted the launcher. As suspected, I was back to launcher trying to DL the whole game - the new folder it created was "The Elder Scrolls Online".

I stopped the launcher, deleted the new folder and renamed the old back to "The Elder Scrolls Online" and shut down my PC to take a break.

On returning to PC and tyirng launcher again, there was a small(er) DL (sorry I forget size) then the 'Play' button appeared. Thinking everything was good now, I pressed 'Play'. Sadly, on this attempt to play and all subsequent attemps, my PC screen turns black with only the toolbar showing and a TESO crash reporter as shown;

TESOcrash.png

I have looked in my documents folder '\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live' and see that 'Errors' has no files and the files in 'Logs' are some months old. Should I be looking somewhere else for a crash report / log to put in this post for examination? I cannot see any obvious crash report / log files in any of the game installation folders or in my documents.

As a test, I did go to my documents '\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live' and renamed 'UserSettings' to 'UserSettings old'. I hoped that a new 'UserSettings' would be made and solve the issue. It did not! The new file I hoped for did not get created. I have reverted the original 'UserSettings' to the correct name.

As is, I cannot so much as get to the game log in screen - never mind play TESO. I would really prefer to not have to delete / uninstall and re - download and install TESO again. Would appreciate any help!

EDIT: Yes! Forgot to mention I'm In the UK and normally play on the EU server. Also tidied up post a little.
    Edited by Night_Watch on October 7, 2016 12:08AM
    "If there is an underlying oneness of all things, it does not matter where we begin, whether with stars, or laws of supply and demand, or frogs, or Napoleon Bonaparte. One measures a circle, beginning anywhere."

Charles Fort - Lo! (1931)
  • Darkheart
    Darkheart
    ✭✭✭
    To log in on the EU server all you need to do is on the log in screen is set server to Live and press accept and then right after set it to Live-EU and press accept and then log in. No need to wait for minutes to see the message about European Megaserver. Its this short and simple. :)

Try it and you will see.
    Returning Home to Daggerfall.
  • Tendrielle
    Tendrielle
    ✭✭✭
    Good call! Realized this myself, wasn't sure though if it would be the same everywhere.
  • Alamos80
    Alamos80
    Soul Shriven
    MY computer stuck on Updating. As you see no close icon on program on top right corner. No repair, not a single choice. When close it, changes to 'Updating Applcation List'.
    I've deleted the whole game to reinstall it, the launcher always run into this. No option to even start the game or do choices.

Any suggestion?
    I've checked the registry with program called Advanced Care, and used IObit Uninstaller as even the uninstaller didn't run properly.
    For me this seems a full Launcher issue as update came it killed Launcher and now have a feeling the game wasn't effected. Sent to Support as well, but a day gone and no info on it.
  • Zinnia53
    Zinnia53
    Soul Shriven
    I have found this update for the EU server quite inconsistent and therefore irritating.

Do subscribers to the NA one find the same?

I have followed the instructions faithfully, leaving the PC even to make my breakfast, hoping the server signal would turn to the EU one and still I am stuck.

It's quite hit and miss from the EU - not so great.

• grkkll
    grkkll
    ✭✭✭
    Zinnia53 wrote: »
    I have found this update for the EU server quite inconsistent and therefore irritating.

Do subscribers to the NA one find the same?

I have followed the instructions faithfully, leaving the PC even to make my breakfast, hoping the server signal would turn to the EU one and still I am stuck.

It's quite hit and miss from the EU - not so great.

Switch to LIVE and the back to EU and it changes in a minute or so. Standard tech support "switch it off and then on agan" advice but an annoying glitch nevertheless
  • JDWood
    JDWood
    Soul Shriven
    Alamos80 wrote: »
    MY computer stuck on Updating. As you see no close icon on program on top right corner. No repair, not a single choice. When close it, changes to 'Updating Applcation List'.
    I've deleted the whole game to reinstall it, the launcher always run into this. No option to even start the game or do choices.

Any suggestion?
    I've checked the registry with program called Advanced Care, and used IObit Uninstaller as even the uninstaller didn't run properly.
    For me this seems a full Launcher issue as update came it killed Launcher and now have a feeling the game wasn't effected. Sent to Support as well, but a day gone and no info on it.

Exactly the same issue here.
  • Iruil_ESO
    Iruil_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Hi.

One of my friend using steam has the error making him dl the entire game again.
    When at 25%, he has a message about "corrupted files", Something like that (sorry, i don't speak English well... the French message is "source fiable de fichiers corrompus") .
    Any help please?

EDIT : Problem solved. -> Steam / steamapps / common / ESO EU -> ESO
    Edited by Iruil_ESO on October 7, 2016 1:27PM
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry guys.. this will all be fixed in Update 13 !!
  • APDrone
    APDrone
    ✭✭
    I'm getting the following when trying to launch NA ( only option)
    Downloaded the updates last night.. rebooted ( which scared the hell out of me ) and got this message when hitting 'play'.

====================================================================
    eso encountered a fatal error. (Error 6)
    Description: Client Fatal Error
    ====================================================================

[reporter]
    version = 0.01

[extra]
    ProductName = eso
    Version = eso.live.2.6.4.1363685
    branch = live
    client.executablebits = 64
    client.mode = startup
    client.renderertype = D3D11
    client.session_start_timestamp = 2016-10-07T11:10:49.173Z
    client.timestamp = 2016-10-07T11:10:49.797Z -frme 0-
    computer.name = MAINGAMING
    computer.user = Scott
    cpu.arch = 9
    cpu.count = 4
    cpu.level = 6
    cpu.type = 8664
    data.dir = C:/Program Files (x86)/Zenimax Online/The Elder Scrolls Online/
    exe.buildnum = 1363685
    exe.opt = release
    exe.reltype = public
    exe.type = client
    fe.code = 6
    fe.descrip = Client Fatal Error
    gfx.description = 21.21.13.7270
    gfx.deviceid = 5121.694696002.161
    gfx.driver = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
    gfx.vendorid = 4318
    mem.system_physical = 16344
    os.osbits = 64
    os.platform = windows
    os.version = 10.0.14393.
    ptime = 659
    reportfield.ver = 3
    version.major = 2
    version.patch = 6
    version.subpatch = 4

Hi all,

(Sorry! This is a long post - as needed.)

Gina;

I have not played TESO for a little while (a month maybe) but wanted to try again today and started the launcher.

TESOcrash.png

• cazzandra
    cazzandra
    Darkheart wrote: »
    To log in on the EU server all you need to do is on the log in screen is set server to Live and press accept and then right after set it to Live-EU and press accept and then log in. No need to wait for minutes to see the message about European Megaserver. Its this short and simple. :)

Try it and you will see.

That's not working for me, others may find the same,

Probably quicker to wait for MOTD to change than keep logging in & out.

Is there an ETA for the fix for this issue yet? It's really annoying!
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We've also heard from some players that logging into Live first, logging out, then selecting Live EU and logging in has a good success rate.

When will it be fixed?
    I have to do this multiple times every time I try to log in, which is very annoying.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Night_Watch
    Night_Watch
    ✭✭✭
    Darkheart wrote: »

Try it and you will see.

This may be all good and well for some - not for all!

I cannot even get to the game log in screen. I cannot change between live and live-EU. I start the launcher, click play then get the issue as described in my earlier post.

Today I tried again and got same issue then used the crash reporter window (see earlier post) to report what happens.

I see nothing in the launcher settings (access via 'cog') or launcher 'Game Options' that allows server changing. Server access is, I've been led to believe, on the game log in screen that I cannot access.

This is a real problem and needs a solution.

Edit for further info: I have been in launcher settings and set 'Run 64Bit Game Client' as checked or unchecked and get the same result either way.

UPDATE:

I just ran 'Repair' from 'Game Options' on launcher and it has put me on to a large DL. Whole Game? So! I'll wait for this to finish and try to run game again and hope it will work. I do not know how files have become corrupt or even if they genuinely have but I'll wait and see what happens. It's gonna take hours by the look of the launcher progress to complete the DL. :(

TESOrepair.png

Edited by Night_Watch on October 7, 2016 3:59PM
    "If there is an underlying oneness of all things, it does not matter where we begin, whether with stars, or laws of supply and demand, or frogs, or Napoleon Bonaparte. One measures a circle, beginning anywhere."

• Hlaadriel
    Hlaadriel
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Is waiting 45 minutes long enough to have the change of the MotD or should I wait more? It still shows NA even though Live-EU is selected.
    Really, that this has not been found during UAT or QA is just making me amazed at how tests are done.....DnoAJf.jpg
  • Night_Watch
    Night_Watch
    ✭✭✭
    For goodness sake!

I was called away from PC after the 'repair' started downloading the large file (see previous post).

I just got back to PC and see there is a new folder - only appeared during repair and is dated today!

The new folder is 'The Elder Scrolls Online EU' and has only one sub folder called 'depot' - i suspect this is because of the large DL and other folders will follow.

What the heck is going on?

Do I stop the DL? Do I delete the new 'The Elder Scrolls Online EU' folder (partial DL)? Do I delete the old, seemingly correct, 'The Elder Scrolls Online'?

If I delete the original folder that seems to have the correct files and go with the new download am I likely to have to go through this all and have to DL again?

Why, for the sake of all that is good, is the launcher now (apparently) downloading into the new folder? Why did the launcher create the new 'The Elder Scrolls Online EU' folder - we know from a previous post by @ZOS_GinaBruno that 'The Elder Scrolls Online EU' is the wrong folder - or at least the wrong name for the folder.

This is messed up ZOS. This is very frustrating for your customers ZOS.

Edited: missing characters in text.

Edited by Night_Watch on October 7, 2016 5:17PM

• pkb16_ESO2
    pkb16_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    my launcher said after downloading that i need to repair.
    So i pressed it and now it downloads till full and then restarts again, and again, and again...
    Should i stop it and restart?
    What can i do?
    regards