The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Argonian Templar?

EldritchPenguin
EldritchPenguin
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello, everyone.

I made an Argonian Templar today, hoping to spec as a healer.

To my understanding, a Breton would be a flat-out better choice, but I already have a Breton character, so I thought I might try something a bit different.

I was mostly just wondering how well an Argonian would work as a Templar Healer, or if I should go with a different sort of build. And if an Argonian Healer does perform competitively with more optimal races, how I should go about building that.

Thank you for your time.
Lilelle Adlis - Dark Elf Dragonknight

Vaynothah Sailenar - Dark Elf Templar

Sherivah Telvanni - Dark Elf Sorcerer

Nephiah Telvanni - Dark Elf Nightblade
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Argonian Templars make great healers, I've played one since launch and healed pretty much all the content in the game.

For a build just keep the racial passives in mind. I don't use tripots because of the potion passive for example.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »
    Argonian Templars make great healers, I've played one since launch and healed pretty much all the content in the game.

For a build just keep the racial passives in mind. I don't use tripots because of the potion passive for example.

Well, I'll give it a go. I figure that the resource management, the increased health, and the bonuses to healing might not entirely make up for the Breton's huge magicka pool, but it's worth trying.

Thank you.

• EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although, what I perhaps should have explained better is that I was wondering if I should adjust the build at all. Like, should I build more offensively or supportively because I have the Argonian's defensive racials, or should I build more defensively to get better synergy with them? And, more importantly, how much am I gimping myself by choosing Argonian, if at all?

• wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well IMO you're not gimping yourself at all. Yes you'll have a little bit less max magicka than a Breton but getting an ultra high magicka stat is not really make-or-break for a healer.

I only have the one mageplar (Argonian) but the build I run is pretty similar to your standard templar healer. I don't need any defense beyond rune and sweeps. When running with stamina characters you'll want shards and repentance, orbs / drain / siphon to support the magicka ones. Obviously breath of life unless you're with a crew you run with a lot and can get by without it. Throw in a couple resto skills, entropy, radiant, meteor and nova / barrier / etc and you're good to go.

The main rule with a healer is to never run out of magicka. The rune is a big help here and the occasional potion will help you get through any spammy heal checks. Keep your mates topped off with health and resources then just shards / sweeps / radiant oppression until everything is dead.

Gear options are pretty much the same for other templar healers: SPC + whatever or Kags / Julianos if you don't have SPC. I plan on trying out the new Sentinel of Rkugamz set and see if that helps support stamina DDs in places where you can't use repentance.

For champion points I just spec like a DPS. Between the 5% argonian bonus and the major mending buff you should always have up you won't need blessed for more healing power, so thaumaturge and elemental expert to make your sweeps hurt like hell.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright. I will keep all of this in mind. Thank you very much for your time.

• wolfaust
    wolfaust
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, everyone.

I made an Argonian Templar today, hoping to spec as a healer.

To my understanding, a Breton would be a flat-out better choice, but I already have a Breton character, so I thought I might try something a bit different.

I was mostly just wondering how well an Argonian would work as a Templar Healer, or if I should go with a different sort of build. And if an Argonian Healer does perform competitively with more optimal races, how I should go about building that.

Thank you for your time.

Believe me, Argonians are not good race for Templar Healer. I was created Templar Healer when I created my second character. I played with this character almost 2 years and then I realized that it was a bad choice. Then Zenimax added Race Changer to Crown Store and now I'm free. Choose Breton for Templar Healer. Its racial skills are best for a Healer. :D
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why are Breton racial passives (+10% max magicka and -3% spell cost) better than high elf passives (+10% magicka and +9% magicka regeneration) and argonian passives (+3% magicka and +5% healing done/received)?

I made Breton from the outset and I'm now almost finished training her - she was leveled long time ago, but wanted to level all skills before getting in dungeons and get all passives so I went to explore Tamriel. I intend on running 5 Spell Power Cure and 5 Amberplasm for maximum regeneration. But I'm not yet decided on which mundus to run. My options are Atronach for even more regeneration, Apprentice for spell damage (including heals) or the Ritual for even stronger heals. Another option is the Thief for more critical damage, since heals can crit too and healer needs to do damage especially in the execute phase - radiant oppression, which can crit too according to the tooltip.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Argonian Templar is a Tank-Healer and I can handle all content including trials and dungeons.

Level up that lounge lizard!!
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    wolfaust wrote: »
    Believe me, Argonians are not good race for Templar Healer.

Actually, Argonians are not that bad. In fact, I've read that if you're going strictly for healing, then they are the better choice. They do get +5% bonus to their heals. However, if you are going to do dps and heal, then yes, you'll be better off going with a Breton or High Elf for the +10% Magicka.

Now for pvp, Argonians have some nice racials. +9% health, +3% magicka, +5% healing done/received. And the poison resist is helpful, too. Lol..I've even found the extra swim speed in some areas helpful.
  • Caipiroska
    maxjapank wrote: »
    wolfaust wrote: »
    Lol..I've even found the extra swim speed in some areas helpful.

trust me, i can't go to the water with my alts because im used to the argonian speed.
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caipiroska wrote: »
    trust me, i can't go to the water with my alts because im used to the argonian speed.
    Hell, my Argonian is my alt, and I can't go in the water with my main anymore because of the Argonian speed. xP

• failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bretons are the best tank/healers
    Altmers are the best magicka-DD/healers
    Argonians are the best overhealers

@Asardes many players prefer Breton over Altmers, because of the extra spell resistance. Bretons have so much resistance, that they can sometimes spam heals in situations where Altmers have to block-cast skills.... they're basically easy-mode, where as Altmers are squishy as hell, and have to consider their own survival in more situations than Bretons.

Argonians compared to the other two races are basically only good overhealers. It's not a race to choose for competitive leaderboard numbers. If you care to be on the top end of Leaderboards among the 0,1% best, then choose Altmer or Breton.
    -If you just want to join leaderboards, play normal competitive gameplay and you like the Argonian race, then choose this - because for anything other than top end of leaderbords, it's mostly a l2p/gear/tactics/group-issue and any race is good enough.