The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

another lost girl (dual wield magicka nightblade)

LexaKomTrikru
hey guys, im a new player, shes a breton
dual wield magicka nightblade (at least trying to be). im a little bit lost. I got a few questions
into what should I invest my skill points?
is daggers the ultimate dual wield weapon?
and light armor. it's really hard to find! so I was thinking about making it myself. does anyone know what supplies I need for that? I see all these people wearing stunning armor (sets) how do I make something like that?

I know thats a lot of questions.
many thanks!
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most important thing for a new character as far as where to invest your skill points is to make sure you have at least 1 ability from each of your class skill trees on your skill bar. If you don't do this, then you won't gain XP in that skill tree and you won't unlock higher level skills.

Other than that, just pick whatever active skills you'd like to use and invest skill points in those skills, and when they've leveled up enough invest skill points in morphing them. At lower levels be picky about what passive skills you spend skill points on. If a passive isn't going to really do you any good until later in the game, don't waste a skill point on until later in the game. While your character is newish skill points are at a premium. Later on, skill points will become plentiful, and you can afford to put them in all kinds of passives, even ones that will only be useful situationally.

Depending on just how new you are, you may or may not have unlocked weapon swap (you get it at level 15). If you have unlocked it, then one thing you can do is put skills on your second bar that you may not actually be interested in using right now, but that you want to level up for the future. Then you stay on your main bar during combat, but swap to the second bar when you turn in a quest. That way you can level a bunch of different skills even if they wouldn't currently work very well with your setup. That's just an option, though, you can also go the more traditional route and set up the second bar to be useful in combat right now.

You also shouldn't worry too much about where you put your skill points - you can always pay some gold to respec them later.

Daggers are great for dual wield if you're interested in increasing your weapon critical (thanks to a passive that you may not have unlocked yet). If you're a magicka build, however, you're going to be better off using dual wield swords, as they increase the damage that you do, which affects all abilities, including magicka-based ones. If you don't yet have the passives unlocked that give you different bonuses depending on what type of weapon you're using for dual wield, then it doesn't make any difference what weapons you use (for now).

As far as armour goes, I'd suggest getting started with crafting. I could go into an explanation of how to get started with that, but instead I'll just point you to a video guide that goes over it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nqvR-u3QnA
    @MissBizz has more detailed guides about it on her channel too, but the one I linked above is a good one to get started with.

Good luck!
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a ton of crafting videos on my youtube channel youtube.com/missbizz (Thanks UrQuan!)

I think UrQuan gave you some SOLID advice for how to build your character. Speaking of levelling, I'll touch on crafting. You may not want to spend many (or any) skill points on crafting early on, but do be sure to start researching traits now - as this will be extremely useful for you later on. You can also deconstruct items to help raise your crafting level - so when you can afford to put skill points in, it will already be levelled up some!

If you join a friendly guild, you may be able to ask a guildmade to craft some armor for you to get started. Don't worry too much about needing a new set of armor every 2nd level, just use the same stuff until you feel it's hindering you (combat will be tough after awhile). Also be sure to repair your armor!
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EDIT My Boss called while I was typing this out, so I have duplicated some advice from above.

Your leveling your first character?

Then, don't worry about builds for now. Worry more about preparing for Champ Ranks.

1. Slot a skill from each of your Classes on your bar at all times so you level your 3 NB Classes. Once you get those to Morph Stage, then slot another skill so you level all of them.
    2. Wear a mix of armors so all 3 level, 3 light/2 medium/2 Heavy or some combo
    3. No matter what weapon you use, try to level all the weapon skills to at least the morph stage. Once you have leveled those to Morph Stage, then look at leveling alternative weapons.

Now, as to your question about Dual Wield. It certainly fits a Stamina Night Blade. And, some Magic Night Blades use it to increase spell power, (although I thought that only helped Sorcerers) but on a magic character, you have to ask your self if using a weapon that scales from your off resource is a good way to go. Then again, if all you do is a Skill Rotation, then your weapons don't really matter. Me, I weave light and heavy attacks so I use a Destro Staff on my Casters.

As for crafting, its a journey. It starts with deconning all the mob loot you get, and researching traits. There are quite a few threads in the Crafting section that talk about strategies for that.
    Edited by Nestor on September 30, 2016 7:36PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• LexaKomTrikru
    UrQuan wrote: »
    The most important thing for a new character as far as where to invest your skill points is to make sure you have at least 1 ability from each of your class skill trees on your skill bar. If you don't do this, then you won't gain XP in that skill tree and you won't unlock higher level skills.

Other than that, just pick whatever active skills you'd like to use and invest skill points in those skills, and when they've leveled up enough invest skill points in morphing them. At lower levels be picky about what passive skills you spend skill points on. If a passive isn't going to really do you any good until later in the game, don't waste a skill point on until later in the game. While your character is newish skill points are at a premium. Later on, skill points will become plentiful, and you can afford to put them in all kinds of passives, even ones that will only be useful situationally.

Depending on just how new you are, you may or may not have unlocked weapon swap (you get it at level 15). If you have unlocked it, then one thing you can do is put skills on your second bar that you may not actually be interested in using right now, but that you want to level up for the future. Then you stay on your main bar during combat, but swap to the second bar when you turn in a quest. That way you can level a bunch of different skills even if they wouldn't currently work very well with your setup. That's just an option, though, you can also go the more traditional route and set up the second bar to be useful in combat right now.

You also shouldn't worry too much about where you put your skill points - you can always pay some gold to respec them later.

Daggers are great for dual wield if you're interested in increasing your weapon critical (thanks to a passive that you may not have unlocked yet). If you're a magicka build, however, you're going to be better off using dual wield swords, as they increase the damage that you do, which affects all abilities, including magicka-based ones. If you don't yet have the passives unlocked that give you different bonuses depending on what type of weapon you're using for dual wield, then it doesn't make any difference what weapons you use (for now).

As far as armour goes, I'd suggest getting started with crafting. I could go into an explanation of how to get started with that, but instead I'll just point you to a video guide that goes over it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nqvR-u3QnA
    @MissBizz has more detailed guides about it on her channel too, but the one I linked above is a good one to get started with.

Good luck!

I can't thank you enough!!!!!!!! thank you so much. :smiley: add me as a friend will you? :smile:
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LexaKomTrikru Are you on PC NA? If so we could likely get you a guild invite if you like... UrQuan, Nestor and I are all in the same guild lol.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • LexaKomTrikru
    MissBizz wrote: »
    I've got a ton of crafting videos on my youtube channel youtube.com/missbizz (Thanks UrQuan!)

I think UrQuan gave you some SOLID advice for how to build your character. Speaking of levelling, I'll touch on crafting. You may not want to spend many (or any) skill points on crafting early on, but do be sure to start researching traits now - as this will be extremely useful for you later on. You can also deconstruct items to help raise your crafting level - so when you can afford to put skill points in, it will already be levelled up some!

If you join a friendly guild, you may be able to ask a guildmade to craft some armor for you to get started. Don't worry too much about needing a new set of armor every 2nd level, just use the same stuff until you feel it's hindering you (combat will be tough after awhile). Also be sure to repair your armor!

thanks girl !!! watching them rn <3
  • LexaKomTrikru
    Nestor wrote: »
    EDIT My Boss called while I was typing this out, so I have duplicated some advice from above.

Your leveling your first character?

Then, don't worry about builds for now. Worry more about preparing for Champ Ranks.

1. Slot a skill from each of your Classes on your bar at all times so you level your 3 NB Classes. Once you get those to Morph Stage, then slot another skill so you level all of them.
    2. Wear a mix of armors so all 3 level, 3 light/2 medium/2 Heavy or some combo
    3. No matter what weapon you use, try to level all the weapon skills to at least the morph stage. Once you have leveled those to Morph Stage, then look at leveling alternative weapons.

Now, as to your question about Dual Wield. It certainly fits a Stamina Night Blade. And, some Magic Night Blades use it to increase spell power, (although I thought that only helped Sorcerers) but on a magic character, you have to ask your self if using a weapon that scales from your off resource is a good way to go. Then again, if all you do is a Skill Rotation, then your weapons don't really matter. Me, I weave light and heavy attacks so I use a Destro Staff on my Casters.

As for crafting, its a journey. It starts with deconning all the mob loot you get, and researching traits. There are quite a few threads in the Crafting section that talk about strategies for that.

hey thanks for responding!! :)
    I dont even know what Champ Ranks are haha! (lvl 7)
  • LexaKomTrikru
    @MissBizz I am on the europe one :|
    Edited by LexaKomTrikru on September 30, 2016 8:56PM
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aw shucks. We can't invite you to the guild, but feel free to ask us questions. Just have a good time playing. Like UrQuan mentioned, you can always reset your attribute point or skill points for gold later on, so it's not permanent or anything :) Just enjoy the game and have fun, try to learn it as you go.

And you start getting champion points when you get to Level 50, so no need to worry about them yet ;)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably the best advice is:

Just play the game, do quests and have fun. Try different skills and weapon attacks. Find a rotation that makes sense to you that kills the mobs.

Also, the key to this game is to be Mobile, Agile and Hostile. Standing in one place and spamming skills or weapon attacks might give you good damage output, but it will also get you killed. Move around, use terrain, fire off attacks from a position of advantage. Don't stand in Red. Learn to Block and move around (you can pretty much avoid any NPC based attack if you learn to stay out of Red, block and interrupt/bash with your weapon or shield and dodge roll.

Edited by Nestor on September 30, 2016 9:05PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• LexaKomTrikru
    @MissBizz @Nestor thank you so much guys honesly :)
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LexaKomTrikru Are you on PC NA? If so we could likely get you a guild invite if you like... UrQuan, Nestor and I are all in the same guild lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPELc1wEvk
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • happymaarit
    happymaarit
    ✭✭✭
    @UrQuan The tip about swapping bar when you turn in quest is awesome, wish I knew about it earlier, but I'm only around 30 so it will still be useful! :smiley:
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't thank you enough!!!!!!!! thank you so much. :smiley: add me as a friend will you? :smile:
    Glad it was helpful! And if you were on PC/NA I'd invite you to the guild...
    @UrQuan The tip about swapping bar when you turn in quest is awesome, wish I knew about it earlier, but I'm only around 30 so it will still be useful! :smiley:
    Yeah, it's definitely not something you need to do, but it can be really handy for leveling skills. Especially if you really only care about the morphed version of the skill.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Sheva I 7 I
    Sheva I 7 I
    ✭✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPELc1wEvk

LOL!