Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

You're doing it wrong - Is it just me?

carljokl
carljokl
✭✭✭
I have been playing ESO a few months now. I wonder if it is just me who feels like however I play I will be "doing it wrong". I have received advice from people which can be helpful.

Still no matter how long I play I still feel like I am not a good player. There always seems to be something I am not doing right. I don't have the character build right. I don't have the right gear combination. I don't have the right buffs. I am going about making money or earning experience the wrong way.

People make claims: I can make x amount of gold in y amount of time easily. I can level up a character in z amount of time. Then my own experience falls far short of being able to do that.

I wonder firstly if it is common for people to feel that way?
It is best to take all advice on board and strive to be the most effective player possible?
Is it better to embrace being a poor / imperfect player and just relax and focus on enjoying the game instead?
Edited by carljokl on September 19, 2016 5:16PM
My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
Sorcerer | Dragon Knight | Templar | Night Blade
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there where we should tell you that you are doing forum posts wrong?

:smiley:

Edit: Had a lot to say, but decided to boil it down to a simple message: Don't worry about what other people think. Listen to them, but do what you want. Adapt their advice as necessary, but don't blindly follow.
    Edited by Elsonso on September 19, 2016 12:39PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is natural. I felt great being the first one in my guild to clear VMA. Then I watched some videos Streak One posted. That player can kill all 9 bosses faster than I can clear one round.

It is healthy and normal to not always be "the best". But if you do truly seek to be as effective as the top tier, if you do want people to speak of your accomplishments? Remember that every bit of experience and advice helps. Listen to advice or mechanics. Test everything. Make friends with people of all calibers, and most of all relax. You WILL become a better player as you gain experience.

Of course, if you're only in this for fun, dude forget the ones shouting from their soapboxes to "run this, use that, only ever do THIS." Just get out there and explore Tamriel, whatever you decide!

I wish you luck :)
    Edited by DocFrost72 on September 19, 2016 12:34PM
    Options
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Much advice you get will not be applicable if you don't have a particular setup and max CP. It takes awhile to figure these things out. Even when you have the gear, and the CP, some things won't fit your play style or feels more like doing chores to set every skill into play.
    Options
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I avoid PVP because I feel far outmatched by other players. I've been playing ESO for over a year now and I still feel like a Noob. Earning CP is sooooo slow at the moment and I'm running out of content to earn it. Many people suggest doing Maelstrom Arena but I still feel very squishy. I'm certainly not a hardcore player, but it's getting frustrating.
    PC/EU DC
    Options
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭

If you did it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

I have had: "This discussion wasn't worth creating"
    My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
    Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
    Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
    Options
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭

Then I notice the possibly fitting irony that I used "your" instead of "you're" but I fixed that now. I do know which one to use when, honest.

My Characters

Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you having fun? Then your doing it right.

If your killing the mobs before they kill you, then your powerful enough.

If your not having fun, then change your perspective, not your build.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Tao of ESO is a long and perils journey with many winding roads . Speeding up animation canceling , finding thos best setups for fighting and places to loot takes a lot of time and testing . Some of the advice here is really great so I do listen and try most ideas .
    Options
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I avoid PVP because I feel far outmatched by other players. I've been playing ESO for over a year now and I still feel like a Noob. Earning CP is sooooo slow at the moment and I'm running out of content to earn it. Many people suggest doing Maelstrom Arena but I still feel very squishy. I'm certainly not a hardcore player, but it's getting frustrating.

This ^^ I feel especially scrubby when I enter PvP. There are people there who have been practicing and playing in PvP since day 1.

That said, sometimes I feel like even if I had the same amount of time playing something difficult as someone, I'll still be worse than them. = P I grew up with three brothers, and they were always better than me at everything through natural talent. I always had to study more just to barely get around the same grades as them. Whenever I run into something difficult in a video game, like the chocobo race for Titus' ultimate weapon in FFX, I'll ask them to do it for me. It'll take them an hour to do what I couldn't do in 30. = ( At least I'd get my weapons though. xD

Some people are just better than others at some things... higher IQ or, in video games, faster hand-eye coordination.
    Options
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    I have had surprising fun playing PvP. I expected to be killed easily but did much better than expected at least the first time. It makes a big difference if you work with a group of other players who look out for each other. Playing a Cyrodiil campaign as a single isolated player is no fun. One player can't even as much as capture a farm on their own. Team play makes all the difference.
    My Characters

Options
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    carljokl wrote: »
    I have had surprising fun playing PvP. I expected to be killed easily but did much better than expected at least the first time. It makes a big difference if you work with a group of other players who look out for each other. Playing a Cyrodiil campaign as a single isolated player is no fun. One player can't even as much as capture a farm on their own. Team play makes all the difference.

Um... but sorry people take keeps by themselves all the time (personally done it too)

There are many solo players out in Cyrodiil (i prefer this as I can actually get a good 1v1)

What you need in PvP for single play, first is not to get excited. If you (like me in the beginning) get over excited and hit buttons too often (say a vigor spam lol) your resources drain and you die.

Another example is being so excited you let buffs lapse, i was theory crafting with a buddy, swapping vids, and he mentioned how in a particular battle my hurricane was up only once. Now I am very conscious of making sure all my buffs stay up.

As for builds, good starting points are:

20K health after boosts
    30Kish + for main resource
    Higher regen is better against players, higher damage is better for less experienced players
    3K+ for weapon or spell damage (varies with each build of course)
    Efficient use of mundus (such as thief or serpent examples)
    Impenetrable trait basically BiS (for such basic guidelines it's BiS)
    Crit and Crit prevention are not to be ignored
    Animation Cancel
    Learn when to block vs dodge roll vs heal through (RD is an example)

These are just basic starting points, more like guidelines than rules ;)

But taking a farm can be fairly easy.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
    Options
  • Suter1972
    Suter1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pandorii wrote: »

Some people are just better than others at some things... higher IQ or, in video games, faster hand-eye coordination.

I get nailed by my 11 yr old in most games. Fifa, COD, overwatch. Then again he plays far too much but the hand /eye coordination and speed is something us adults will never match a kid on. Its like hes part of the game! Half the time im thinking 'is that the dishwasher finished/kettle on/knock at the door etc etc' rather than concentrating on the game
    Edited by Suter1972 on September 20, 2016 8:15AM
    Was - Breton DC ( GIRL - Guy In Real Life toon) Magika Templar Healer/ 5-8 trait Crafter - currently CP290 and learning now starting again on xbox…...

xbox suter1972 - Character name - Hota Woskeef

Xbox EU ESO+ Mature (40+) UK casual gamer
    Options
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unless you are doing hard group content, it doesn't really matter.

In harder group content like DLC dungeons and vet trials though, people will get annoyed if you aren't contributing to the group and making it even harder. There you do need to do certain things in certain ways. Which is only fair as it's other people's time.

Other than that though, the game can be done however you want to do it.
    Options
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭

Um... but sorry people take keeps by themselves all the time (personally done it too)

There are many solo players out in Cyrodiil (i prefer this as I can actually get a good 1v1)

Ironically in summary: You can totally take PvP resources solo and other player is able to do so effectively.

Why can't I?

"You're doing it wrong!" :wink:

My experience trying to take on a farm solo:

Each guard is built like a boss. Taking them down takes so long that even if I can manage to lure them off one by one, they will regenerate faster than I can take them down.

If I get too close to the capture flag the mages will all start blasting me en mass. I try to dodge the magic but it like a homing missile and follows me wherever I dodge so it hits me whatever.

Try to even the odds with a siege weapon. Wherever I put it I swear there ends up being some tree getting in the way of me having a clear view of where I am shooting. I do some good damage but struggle to see if I have taken everyone down at a distance.

While I am trying to grind down the farm guards, some player notices the farm is under attack. The player attacks me from behind with my considerable blindspot due to skewed siege weapon view. I notice I am under attack but by the time I get out of the siege weapon and try to formulate defending myself I have already lost enough health that the other player finishes me off without too much trouble.

As I lie dead on the floor I get the added bonus of watching the same player set fire to my siege weapon and the hard earned alliance points it represents go up in smoke.

Like many other things it ends up coming down to: "You're doing it wrong!".
    Strategy, build, buffs, equipment, abilities etc.

I can use a better build but training it up takes time.

Edited by carljokl on September 20, 2016 8:35AM
    My Characters

Options
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People make claims: I can make x amount of gold in y amount of time easily. I can level up a character in z amount of time. Then my own experience falls far short of being able to do that.

There's a very good explanation for this one :

tumblr_static_tumblr_m85h1p5gur1rcqpjdo1_500.jpg

Options
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    I can just imagine the Harbourage after I leave.
    After the big speeches about having confidence in me to conquer with my heroics.
    The companions would be all like: "Did you see the vestages's build? What is up with his armour choices? He is doing it wrong! Glad we have thousands of other vestiges to rely on. One of the other better vestiges will take down Molag Bal easily. Maybe we should just leave the fighting to Cadwell."
    My Characters

Options
  • Sludge04
    Sludge04
    ✭✭
    A quick way to level up is to try and get a group in Wrothgar and just run around doing all the world bosses. This is helped massively if 3 or 4 of you have different daily quests but you get a generous amount of xp without the daily quest anyway. Try this once a day, at least do the daily world boss. I'm levelling up a NB and I will do one dungeon and at least one boss in Wrothgar every time I log in, it's a grind but it helps. Delves are another good source for xp boosts.
    Options
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing ESO since Early Access in March 2014. To this day, I find myself "doing it wrong" all the time. Character builds change nearly every update, as new sets (and old sets) are released or changed. Sometimes the community on the whole finds new and better ways to accomplish what we were already doing, but less effectively. In an environment of constant and rapid change, it's not realistic to hold oneself to unreasonably strict standards. Remember that this is a video game, and we play to have fun. If you aren't having fun chasing the meta, then don't.

Keep in mind also that often times when you see "earn x gold or AP in y amount of time," there are probably factors you don't see on the surface. For example, does that method of earning gold/AP account for having little or no CP, or is that individual at the CP cap, and thus far more efficient at grinding/farming/etc?

My best suggestion to you would be to focus more on the gear that people recommend, and improve your rotation as you go. One of the most effective ways to improve as a player is to tackle vMA - it doesn't matter if you beat it tomorrow or next year, only that you try and get better. To supplement this, I recommend finding a small (<100 people) guild that has people who actually want to help you get better. You can find this in larger guilds, but your chances of finding people with the time to spend on you are greater in a smaller one. Often times, these players can introduce you to skill combinations and even single morphs of skills you'd never considered or known about, which can help a lot. You want to find people who are both friendly and experienced, and little by little, they can make suggestions and show you methods of improving your build or rotation. It would also help substantially to have access to guildmates like this when you take on vMA, because sometimes sitting down and talking about the exact order of kill priorities and mechanics is what it takes to beat it.
    Edited by Autolycus on September 20, 2016 9:20PM
    Options
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For attacking a farm. (I do remember when I couldn't)

Give yourself an edge, lure a few guards away from the menders and tower mages etc. Get their attention and run to the side of a building so the range users can't get you and menders can't heal em.

Seige won't work as they'll just heal.

A PvP build won't do as well as a PvE build, AoEs are your friend.

Remember they can't CC break so use them to your advantage. Bash menders too. Watch out for eclipse if you're a magicka build
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
    Options
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I main a Dragonknight healer, so I am told that I am doing it wrong all the time. :p I listen to what people say, but I recognize it as suggestions, and then evaluate whether or not I want to take it. I don't play with people who insist on orders instead of suggestions.

Everything changes in this game. It used to be magicka uses light armor, stamina uses medium, and tanks use heavy, 100% of the time. With recent changes to heavy armor passives, there are now cases where heavy makes more sense for a character who didn't wear it before.

If you are having fun, growing your own character and improving at your own pace, and able to finish the content you want to finish? Then you are doing it right.

Some ways are easier, yes. And some ways don't work for the higher end challenges. But if your methods work for what you want to do in the game, then who cares?

My Dragonknight healer needs spell power cure to do veteran dungeons. My Stamplar DPS needs to level the Fighter's Guild and unlock Vigor before she can do veteran dungeons. I enjoy them both, I love the direction both are heading, and I am having fun. That's right enough for me.
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
    Options
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    For attacking a farm. (I do remember when I couldn't)

Give yourself an edge, lure a few guards away from the menders and tower mages etc. Get their attention and run to the side of a building so the range users can't get you and menders can't heal em.

Seige won't work as they'll just heal.

A PvP build won't do as well as a PvE build, AoEs are your friend.

Remember they can't CC break so use them to your advantage. Bash menders too. Watch out for eclipse if you're a magicka build

How quickly do the guards respawn? Is it likely new to get stuck with the problem that once I have taken down the guards then the menders that new guards will star to spawn?
    My Characters

Options
  • Dasovaruilos
    Dasovaruilos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the club!

I think this is normal for the majority of the players. When I started playing, I didn't read anything. So I could do easily do the solo part and did not die once (Templar with healing Puncture Sweeps? You can practically do the whole solo part of the game with one button) and thought I was very good..

Then I tried a dungeon... Man, what a rough time! I almost quit the game thinking I would never be able to survive. But a few months later, I can heal most vet dungeons with a good group. And then I thought I was very good.

One day someone invited me to a Trial and I accepted... And everything happened again. Then I was able to finish a few with good groups. And then I thought I was very good.

So I decided to explore Cyrodiil... Well, you know the drill. Despair at first, death after death, then I manage to do somethings. And then I thought I was very good.

And then I entered Imperial City Sewers... Same thing. And then I thought I was very good.

Recently I tried Maelstrom Arena... I'm still in the despair phase and I truly believe that I won't be leaving it here anytime soon. But this happened with all the other things, so I just keep trying.
    Options
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It depends who are the one telling you this.

Like... Dont take exercise tip from a fat guy.
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
    Options
  • Daveheart
    Daveheart
    ✭✭✭✭

Ironically in summary: You can totally take PvP resources solo and other player is able to do so effectively.

Why can't I?

"You're doing it wrong!" :wink:

My experience trying to take on a farm solo:

Each guard is built like a boss. Taking them down takes so long that even if I can manage to lure them off one by one, they will regenerate faster than I can take them down.

If I get too close to the capture flag the mages will all start blasting me en mass. I try to dodge the magic but it like a homing missile and follows me wherever I dodge so it hits me whatever.

Try to even the odds with a siege weapon. Wherever I put it I swear there ends up being some tree getting in the way of me having a clear view of where I am shooting. I do some good damage but struggle to see if I have taken everyone down at a distance.

While I am trying to grind down the farm guards, some player notices the farm is under attack. The player attacks me from behind with my considerable blindspot due to skewed siege weapon view. I notice I am under attack but by the time I get out of the siege weapon and try to formulate defending myself I have already lost enough health that the other player finishes me off without too much trouble.

As I lie dead on the floor I get the added bonus of watching the same player set fire to my siege weapon and the hard earned alliance points it represents go up in smoke.

Like many other things it ends up coming down to: "You're doing it wrong!".
    Strategy, build, buffs, equipment, abilities etc.

I can use a better build but training it up takes time.

In general, I'd say play however you want and just relax and enjoy yourself. However, if you plan to do any group content, then yes, you're doing it wrong.

If you want help with your build, many of us are able to help you with some background information like class/main resource/level.
    Daggerfall Covenant (PC-NA)

The Order of Mundus | Nightfighters
    Options
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    Dont take exercise tip from a fat guy.

...unless your goal is to become fatter better optimised for cuddling.

My Characters

Options
  • Farmerr
    Farmerr
    ✭✭
    You're not gonna be an awesome player after a few months. It takes time to learn the game mechanics, your play style, different builds and skills, and understand what works with what even with help from the more experienced players.

Even if people aren't telling you to l2p or git gud, etc, you really are still in the process. People that tell you they are doing all these different things understand how and when to do that and spend an excruciating amount of time learning it. Any game is really a giant set of models and statistics waiting to be manipulated.

It depends on your goal. If you want to be the best player you can be and can only have fun once you reach that, which you never really do, you need to play with/against experienced players and put a lot of hours into the game.

As for me, I've got enough problems in real life to worry about being a good player in that sense, so I'm quite content to simply explore, fight, quest, whatever with mediocre gear and not wondering if this is the most efficient way or right combination.

I've only been here a few months as well and pick up on a lot of things just playing the game and chatting with other players. Be patient and put more time in, play the game, have fun. This isn't something you need to stress about.
    Options
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have been playing ESO a few months now. I wonder if it is just me who feels like however I play I will be "doing it wrong". I have received advice from people which can be helpful.

Still no matter how long I play I still feel like I am not a good player. There always seems to be something I am not doing right. I don't have the character build right. I don't have the right gear combination. I don't have the right buffs. I am going about making money or earning experience the wrong way.

It is best to take all advice on board and strive to be the most effective player possible?
    Is it better to embrace being a poor / imperfect player and just relax and focus on enjoying the game instead?

well, I would definitely not take all the "advices" personally. It might be that you just meet many immature people :smiley: in the game.

But some people like to play in a min-maxer way (get the best possible damage, best possible armor stats, minimise all debuffs etc) and when you group with such people, they often criticize or advice how to improve.

For sure it is good to check out some builds on the net (for example Sypher`s or Deltia`s), set gears are a must in vet levels, if you want to play in a group and be helpful to the group. If you play only solo, then they do not matter that much. But they would for sure help you too (they increase stats of your character)

Leveling fast, depends on the experience of the player and on the time availiable for playing, go google some "eso guides" on the net if you like, there are many good advices out there.

I was first playing the game (until maybe level 45) with no knowledge of any build- or skill- or game-theory at all. Then I had a nice chat with one of my very experienced guild mates on Teamspeak (external voice chat client) and he adviced me many good things, crafted me some good set armors and my character stats almost doubled. I also adopted a build from Sypher, modified it a bit, that helped me a lot too.

Like everything in life, also to be "good" in a game requires some time and study ;)

feel free to ask if you have some more specific questions ;)
    Edited by altemriel on September 21, 2016 1:43PM
    Options
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fyi, guards take a while to respawn (like a long while) so you don't have to worry about them respawning.

For me, I lure as many guards off to the side as possible and kill them.

The 4 that stand in the main circle (two menders twoDK guards) are the toughest (there is also a mage on the tower that shoots down)

CC break immediately, (they always use eclipse or rune cage type moves) if you're magicka watch out for the negate bubble. Focus on the menders, the guards have a self heal but use it only once.

CC the DKs if you can and kill the menders, if its too much, run to a side of a building and heal then re - engage.

The idea is to separate and conquer as much as possible.

Sometimes I still die if i take em all on at once.
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
    Options
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭

If you were doing everything right there would be nothing to improve upon which would be the real failure.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
    Options
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭

What platform are you on btw?
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
    Options