The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Tips for normal trials

Brrrofski
Brrrofski
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
So I'm about to start running trials on normal with my guild. I've ran a few before with other people, always as dps.

Just wondering how many tanks/healers you need per trial really? How much health do people need as minimum (i know tank should wear ebon, but nobody has it as we're just starting out)?
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In my (so far very limited) experience running normal trials learning the mechanics of the fights is much more important than gear. I'm pretty sure all the people in my group are just running their standard dungeon gear since we're all still collecting the group buff sets.

For example, you could probably take Skinrai & Vashai in MoL naked if you can just get the people in your group to stay on the correct side of the room.

I believe we usually run with a main tank, an off tank and 2-3 healers.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm gonna link @Alcast 's vid on gear (since i has a few explanations with it) just below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtzqCbKdo3w

To this I'd add Akaviri Dragonguard and Werewolf Hide as an option for tanks, and if you have an offtank, Lord Warden is a pretty nice addition if he gets hit pretty rarely.

Healers can also pick Gossamer, but more as a second option (need dat spell power cure!).

Healers and tanks rock Warhorn, which combined with sets such as TBS on DDs (extra health) and Ebon allows people to have about 20k health. The tanks should have a base of 30k health approximately, for DDs and healers, having 16k is pretty dangerous, due to the very high amount of AoEs, so they should try to get 1 max health bonus, which is enough for most content combined with Ebon and a good warhorn uptime.

The number of healers and tanks depends on content, but normal trials need no more than 1 tank and 2 healers. Only MoL requires you to have a ranged taunt slotted, but even a DD can survive a boss in the normal mode. Once you've completed enough normal trials, you'll know how many healers and tank you need for the vet ones ;p

Group buffs are pretty important, keeping Elemental Drain and Siphon spirit will allow your mag DDs to sustain their magicka for long fights. Repentance, shards and Master Restoration staff w/ Healing springs help both the tank(s) and stamina DDs.
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't need much at all for the normal trials.

No need for special gear. No need for any special arrangements. Alcast's video recommendations are aimed for people trying vet trials. The recommendations are sound, but unnecessary for normal trials.

What you do need for a normal-mode trials:
    • 1 tank
    • 2 healers
    • Every other role is a DD
    • Additionally, for nMoL, you will need 1 off-tank for the Twins boss

(The composition for vet trials is similar: the non-HM versions of vAA and vHRC are 1T/2H/9DD, and everything else--vAA HM, vHRC HM, vSO, and vMoL are 1MT/1OT/2H/8DD.)

As a baseline of experience, everyone should be able to complete the 8 "easy" vet dungeons (the non-DLC ones). If you have the group composition above, and every DD geared the way they would for a vet pledge, you'll be fine. The tank should have sword-and-shield on both bars, and the healers should be using Healing Springs.
    Edited by code65536 on August 24, 2016 11:22PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

No need for special gear. No need for any special arrangements. Alcast's video recommendations are aimed for people trying vet trials. The recommendations are sound, but unnecessary for normal trials.

• 1 tank
    • 2 healers

(The composition for vet trials is similar: the non-HM versions of vAA and vHRC are 1T/2H/9DD, and everything else--vAA HM, vHRC HM, vSO, and vMoL are 1MT/1OT/2H/8DD.)

As a baseline of experience, everyone should be able to complete the 8 "easy" vet dungeons (the non-DLC ones). If you have the group composition above, and every DD geared the way they would for a vet pledge, you'll be fine. The tank should have sword-and-shield on both bars, and the healers should be using Healing Springs.

Awesome, exactly the info I needed.

Yeh, I healed sanctum on normal. Mutagen, healing springs, Combat Prayer for the buff and the odd breath of life to proc spell power cure is all I did pretty much. Kept purifying light up too. Then just warhorned. Was a lot easier than I thought.

Thanks for the help guys!
  • IwakuraLain42
    IwakuraLain42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend to take an off-tank into HRC (for the group split at the 2nd boss) and for learning trials (when your prime tank dies) anyway. At least in the beginning of your learning phase it's better that way.
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

• 1 tank
    • 2 healers

Spot on agree with this. Everyone should have one self heal as well. Normal trials should not be a problem in any semi-organised group so good way to learn the ropes.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • DschiPeunt
    DschiPeunt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    So I'm about to start running trials on normal with my guild. I've ran a few before with other people, always as dps.

Just wondering how many tanks/healers you need per trial really? How much health do people need as minimum (i know tank should wear ebon, but nobody has it as we're just starting out)?
    Ebon can be bought at guild stores though.

Do you plan on running vet trials at some point? Or only normal mode?
    Server: EU AD || Guilds: EquinoX

Telleno || Dro-M'Athra Destroyer || Magicka DK || My YouTube-Channel || Profile on ESO-Database

World 1st vMoL Hardmode
    World 1st vHRC Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vAA Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vSO Hardmode (Dark Brotherhood)
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DschiPeunt wrote: »

Eventually. Just want to get the gear first.

I have a question though. I tanked normal hell ra. Resources were fine and everything was OK. I died once though, on the first boss, the air atros. I have 28k health, was blocking, resistances at either 28k or 33k (is bloodspawn procced) abd minor maim up. He still one shotted me though.

Is there a way around that?
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I have a question though. I tanked normal hell ra. Resources were fine and everything was OK. I died once though, on the first boss, the air atros. I have 28k health, was blocking, resistances at either 28k or 33k (is bloodspawn procced) abd minor maim up. He still one shotted me though.

dodge, use igneous shield or just walk away from the boss when he spins around. But i think you should be able to block and just shield/heal against this. Stats seem fine imo.
    Noobplar
  • DschiPeunt
    DschiPeunt
    ✭✭✭✭

That sounds to me like the "whirlwind" mechanic of the boss. Maybe you ran out of stamina or something. Otherwise that sounds weird, that he would one-shot you.

If you plan to run veteran trials after some time and with a set group of people, I would suggest you go into the normal trials with the same team setup, that you would run the veteran trials with. That gives you an idea of how the group performs and also gives everyone the opportunity to get comfortable in their role. You can and should also try to work out the mechanics in normal. Too many start to find out the mechanics only in veteran mode and fail.
    As others already described, a good setup would be 1 Main-Tank, 1 Off-Tank, 2 Healers and 8 Damage Dealers. Everyone should find out, what their role is and what their job in the group is. For example, DDs shouldn't run restoration staffs, except it is part of the group tactic. Healers should also know, that buffing and sustaining the DDs is part of their job. Just spamming Breath of Life and Healing Springs does not make a good healer.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :)
    Server: EU AD || Guilds: EquinoX

Telleno || Dro-M'Athra Destroyer || Magicka DK || My YouTube-Channel || Profile on ESO-Database

World 1st vMoL Hardmode
    World 1st vHRC Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vAA Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vSO Hardmode (Dark Brotherhood)