The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

GAME WILL NOT DOWNLOAD!

theedingo
theedingo
Soul Shriven
So, I downloaded 2 different ESO links. 1 was from when I bought the game online and the other was an alternate link that a mod posted online. The first one tries to open but the java then shuts down and comes up with an error stating "Elder Scrolls Quit Unexpectedly" The other download from the mod was TESO_OSX. That one shows the download screen, but it closes right away and shows an error "Abort: Pointer is NULL"....Not getting any help from emailing support. I've looked at every forum and tried everything...
  • Slammer99uk
    Slammer99uk
    ✭✭✭
    Re-download the client from the account page. Just a gentle reminder to download the MAC client while you are using your MAC do not download it in a bootcamp Windows unless you intend to play it under bootcamp :)

The download page auto detects which client you need from the operating system you are in at the time.

Also very important:- If you have a Retina display, when you install the game, make sure your screen res is not full Retina, change it to 2560x1440.

good luck
    Edited by Slammer99uk on August 10, 2016 5:39AM
  • theedingo
    theedingo
    Soul Shriven
    @Slammer99uk My Mac resolution only goes as far as 1920x1200..I do have retina display and thats why I think the Java is failing when I try to open up the installation. I don't have any windows on my Mac either.
  • theedingo
    theedingo
    Soul Shriven
    @Slammer99uk Also, I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAY1_3ONmiM and although it is for pc it is exactly the same as for Mac. I did everything exactly the same all the way until the point where it says src_path...after I pick that I get the folder that says MacLauncher and in the folder that is suppose to have the exe file, it does not...I'm missing the .exe file and that could be why it won't download
  • Slammer99uk
    Slammer99uk
    ✭✭✭
    Ok let's try it step by step.

- Have you re-downloaded the installer file from the account webpage? - if not do so.

- Do you have Java installed? - Check in system preferences, the bottom box - if not install it. (not sure if this is actually needed, but you mentioned it, and I have it installed as well)

- When you double click the installer file what happens exactly?

See the following image, this shows the install path that the installer should put the actual .app file, in this case it just shows as ESO. you may not have the "Games" directory.

path.jpg

Will wait for you to reply before going any further.
    Edited by Slammer99uk on August 11, 2016 8:05AM
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @theedingo,

you will most likely find the solution to installing ESO on a Mac with Retina display in this thread/post.

You do not, under any circumstances, need to install a third-party Java Runtime Environment in order for the ESO Installer to run.

• theedingo
    theedingo
    Soul Shriven
    @Slammer99uk When I click the installer a little terminal and java symbol show up on the bottom of my window. After like 2 seconds they disappear and say that Java has quit unexpectedly.
  • theedingo
    theedingo
    Soul Shriven
    @KhajitFurTrader I am not on an iMac and my resolution does not go up to 5k
  • Slammer99uk
    Slammer99uk
    ✭✭✭
    theedingo wrote: »
    @Slammer99uk When I click the installer a little terminal and java symbol show up on the bottom of my window. After like 2 seconds they disappear and say that Java has quit unexpectedly.

Please dont pick and choose which of my questions you are going to answer. We are trying to help you out here. We cant do that unless all the information is supplied by you.

Please answer all my questions in my last reply.

- Have you re-downloaded the installer file from the account webpage? - if not do so.

- Do you have Java installed? - Check in system preferences, the bottom box - if not install it. (not sure if this is actually needed, but you mentioned it, and I have it installed as well)

- When you double click the installer file what happens exactly?

See the following image, this shows the install path that the installer should put the actual .app file, in this case it just shows as ESO. you may not have the "Games" directory.

path.jpg

Do you have anything under this path?
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @theedingo,

you're trying to install ESO on an Mac with a Retina display, right? It doesn't matter whether the Mac in question is a 4K/5k iMac, or a MacBook (Pro). What matters is that the ESO Installer, which should be downloaded from the Account web page only, comes with its very own Java runtime environment (JRE), that balks at HiDPI screen resolutions. Installing an external JRE won't help in this case.

What probably will help is the solution in the thread I've linked above: reduce the Mac's display resolution from "Best for Display" (HiDPI) to a lower, discrete resolution (non-HiDPI). Let me know how that works out for you. ;)