The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[Quest] One of the Undanted - NOT working as DESIGNED

Rastoide
Rastoide
✭✭✭
EDITED: I'm sorry if you just got here, i'm newb, and i thought this was a bug, so its told like how i experienced it, but if you see it thru, you'll get whats the issue.

Hi, I'm kinda new. Got my char lvl10-11, got this quest a few days ago and was already kinda eager to find out what was it REALLY all about.
So earlier today I logged in just to travel to the dungeon, to get inside and get a feeling of things.

Once outside I found Mordra fishing and I spoke to her, yet there was no interaction.
I proceeded and got inside. There was this group of NPCs talking and one had quest icon so I spoke with him.. blabla spiders and fire, and whatnot (doesn't matter right now lol).
So I went ahead, got myself killed 2 times with the first group of spiders and decided to leave and come back once I'm ready to face it.
Before leaving for some reason I thought.. I dont really know what i thought, but I ABANDONED that quest. The one you get inside I abandoned it. Figured I'd start it when i'm ready.
TPed to city, and logged off.
Right now I logged in and I had, as an active objective, to go to talk to Mordra.
So as it happens, they thought I cleared the cave, and went ahead with the initiation. Lol. Look.

UAryBcR.jpg

After that I clicked "Never mind." - abandoned quest - and took the first one again. So I can do it properly.

Apparently something is wrong with the objectives or I'm not sure tbh. But there's that!
Hope I helped.
Rastoide wrote: »
Yes, i noticed last night, the objective clears as soon as you enter, and "you are good to go", but when you turn in with Mordra she thinks you cleared the place..

Here, look:
plMoF5P.jpg

And thats exactly what the objective SHOULD be, right? Or am I Undanted for just opening a door and leaving? :/
So yea, you might be right tho, its not actually a bug. But it does sounds like it's wrong man.

Whats worst is.. I went there alone and sat outside the door for 10 to 15 minutes waiting for players to gather up with me and go for it, and for 10 to 15 minutes I saw people coming and leaving, some went in and out in a blink, and i saw a range of lvls like 8 to 16, and about 10-12 different players.. Until this guy lvl15 stops in front of me and talks to me. We gruoped up and cleared it.
So it seems to me that a lot of people get the undanted initiation for "free". Dont call it a bug, but its clearly wrong to me. If I could, i'd make so objective clears after opening the EXIT door, or killing the last boss - like the fighters guild, i noticed i got xp for fighters guild when i killed the boss..
Edited by Rastoide on August 3, 2016 2:00AM
  • Rastoide
    Rastoide
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yea, I spoiled myself the reward.

Seems kinda..... ugh.. lol.. No comments!! :D
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not actually a bug, One of the Undaunted has always worked like that. While the dialogue suggests you should also complete the dungeon, all you actually need to do to complete the quest is go inside it and leave again, as all the objective says is "Enter <Dungeon>".
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Rastoide
    Rastoide
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, i noticed last night, the objective clears as soon as you enter, and "you are good to go", but when you turn in with Mordra she thinks you cleared the place..

Here, look:
    plMoF5P.jpg

And thats exactly what the objective SHOULD be, right? Or am I Undanted for just opening a door and leaving? :/
    So yea, you might be right tho, its not actually a bug. But it does sounds like it's wrong man.

Whats worst is.. I went there alone and sat outside the door for 10 to 15 minutes waiting for players to gather up with me and go for it, and for 10 to 15 minutes I saw people coming and leaving, some went in and out in a blink, and i saw a range of lvls like 8 to 16, and about 10-12 different players.. Until this guy lvl15 stops in front of me and talks to me. We gruoped up and cleared it.
    So it seems to me that a lot of people get the undanted initiation for "free". Dont call it a bug, but its clearly wrong to me. If I could, i'd make so objective clears after opening the EXIT door, or killing the last boss - like the fighters guild, i noticed i got xp for fighters guild when i killed the boss..
    Edited by Rastoide on July 31, 2016 7:10PM
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Undaunted intro quest is a joke. Just some colorful dialog of Undaunted people thumping their chests. You are told to visit the dungeon, and simply entering the door satisfies the quest, and you're done. It's working as designed. It's just that the design is rather poor. Nothing that teaches people about dungeons in general, about the "trinity" of roles in group PvE, etc.

Compare this to the intro quests for Cyrodiil and for crafting, and you'll see what I mean when I say that this question is useless.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Rastoide
    Rastoide
    ✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    The Undaunted intro quest is a joke. Just some colorful dialog of Undaunted people thumping their chests. You are told to visit the dungeon, and simply entering the door satisfies the quest, and you're done. It's working as designed. It's just that the design is rather poor. Nothing that teaches people about dungeons in general, about the "trinity" of roles in group PvE, etc.

Compare this to the intro quests for Cyrodiil and for crafting, and you'll see what I mean when I say that this question is useless.

@code65536 no man, its clearly not working as designed. NPC says "CLEARED". Didn't you see both pictures? She says "Gran-gran could have CLEARED that cave out faster than you did.", that means its designed, its written so you're soposed to go all the way thru, and clear the dungeon. That is what is written, so its clearly not working as "designed".

Thank you tho, you gave me new idea for proper tittle..
    Edited by Rastoide on August 3, 2016 1:57AM
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that it would be better if you were supposed to complete the dungeon too, but that's asking for a change to what was intended, and they don't often change things that are working as intended. It's working as intended (from a coding perspective), but not as written (from a narrative perspective).

Since we're therefore talking about changes to the quest to match the narrative, I would suggest instead overhauling the quest completely to make it more useful as a group dungeon introductory quest (this is from another thread):
    Enodoc wrote: »
    [A solo quest to teach dungeon basics] is a great idea. I think this would be most easily incorporated by making it part of the Undaunted recruitment quest "One of the Undaunted". Change the requirements of that quest so that instead of just having to set foot inside the first zone's Group Dungeon by yourself (you don't even have to clear the dungeon to complete the quest), you are sent to an instanced dungeon with 3 NPCs.

Logically, these NPCs would be Turuk Redclaws, Mighty Mordra, and Kailstig the Axe, as they are the three recruiters. This would be a short instance introducing the group dungeon mechanics and would have you take on the role of tank, healer, ranged DPS and melee DPS in sequence. If you don't have the appropriate weapon/class skills, you would be temporarily given access to a resto staff and Grand Healing for the healer section, a mace/shield and Puncture for the tank section, a bow and Poison Arrow and/or a destro staff and Destructive Touch for the ranged DPS section (your choice of either or both), and a battle axe and Cleave and/or dual daggers and Twin Slashes for the melee DPS section (your choice of either or both). The three recruiters would take on the roles that you are currently not exploring so that the setup is always 1 tank, 1 healer, 2 DPS.

In line with the suggestion above, successful completion of this short tutorial quest would be required to unlock the Dungeon Finder. Additional characters on the same account would not need to complete the quest again, but could if they wanted to.

UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Rastoide
    Rastoide
    ✭✭✭
    I still stand on a disagreement with you. But I admit what you suggest is better than what it actually is, BUT...
    I disagree because the narrative makes you understand something quite challenging, and creates a huge expectation, but yea, as it happens most people feel like undaunted is a joke, so ZOS didn't quite get the result they wanted. But the story-telling is quite fine. And keeping up with it, makes no sense to make that quest (as you suggest), or a related quest, to be a tutorial kinda thing with a npc group and such.. that'd ruin even more the Undaunted thingy. Its meant to be something challenging as this is what Mordra makes you feel. And it is ok if you ignore the fact that quest completes as soon as you step in. But since that is all, who cares anyways.. its just that one quest right? So what does it matter. Thats probably the logic most get. But i'm new, so.. yea.. Now i understand. After all the XP for the undaunted increases by completing more dungeons (I hope)..

[All this doesn't mean i wouldn't want it to work properly, as a new player that loves this game i must say: this kinda sucked.]

I'll fix this thread one of this days.