Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Update 11 Guide: ESO Style Parlor"

• Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No class change?
    PC/EU
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lettigall wrote: »
    Looking at those prices, it's good thing that armor dying was implemented before crown store...

Yeah, someone at ZOS was probably seriously bummed. I bet that if they could take a mulligan, they would. :wink:

No class change?

Nope. No Alliance change, either.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...I'm really, really glad I was so picky during character creation. :astonished:

Somewhat off-topic:
    Did anyone else feel seriously creeped out seeing that eyeless Argonian manikin? :cold_sweat:
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Xael
    Xael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_KaiSchober

For these prices some changes need to be made before you go live.

Race Changes do not include a name change.
    Appearance change does not include a name change either.
    This is a terrible design. Either it's a massive oversight or you are doing this on purpose as another cash-grab.

Here are reasons why this current design is bad. Let's look at these hypotheticals:
    • Bill has an Argonian named like other Argonian npcs befitting nothing but an Argonian. Bill decides to race change to an Altmer. Name no longer fits. Now you have to pay for a name change along with the race change.
    • Tom has a male Nord named Larry. Tom decides to get an appearance change to go female. Name no longer applies. Now Tom has to buy a name change alongside the appearance change she already purchased.

This to me screams of intentional rip off. Especially if the prices are kind of high (and they are). Keep in mind when you introduced the Banker and Merchant there were no notes in the description indicating you couldn't repair on the Merchant, use the guild bank on the Banker. Each cost 5k crowns. No refunds. Guess who bought both not knowing these little facts? Me.

Regarding the new character changes:
    The 3 changes should be supersets of each other.
    1. Name change
    2. Name change + appearance change
    3. Name change + appearance change + race change

World of Warcraft managed to get this right. So did several other MMORPGs that are older. Are you really going to gouge us like this?
    I got killed in pvp, nerf everything...
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    YoshinJaa wrote: »
    1000 Crowns to change your Appearance.
    3000 Crowns for Race change (and Appearance as well).
    2500 Crowns for Name change (lol)

200 Crowns per each premium hairstyle, adornment, etc.

3500 Crowns for a Complete change (first 3 listed). Best value (due to pricing) if considering to buy the Race or Name change.

Not sure why these prices are that high, but not a fan of them at ALL.
    Sounds about right to me. Not too cheap that it encourages repeated usage, but cheap enough that for those to whom this matters, they will be able to afford it.

1000 Crowns is about $10, cheaper than WoW.
    3000 Crowns is $25, same as WoW.
    2500 is a bit steep (WoW's name change is only $10), but they really missed a trick by not including name change as part of appearance and race change, rather than as something separate, which I think is their biggest mistake.

Preyfar wrote: »
    My character's appearance changed permanently in game due to a bug. I'm glad I can finally fix it, but I am miffed at the price
    So wait, those of us who've waited over two years for this because we couldn't zoom into our characters during character creation at launch get to pay a thousand Crowns each to finally fix the mistakes we couldn't see at the time we made them?
    Agreed. In those situations, the price is too high for fixing something that was caused by a bug. A reduced-cost token would be nice for any character created while there were bugs affecting character creation.

@Enodoc
    This isn't WoW and ESO is no where close to that level of success, quality nor does it offer that level of customization for the time it was released. Let's make sure we are comparing apples to apples and WoW is not that but as results of poor design and awful visuals for creation, the cost is disrespectful.

Now the costs for a cosmetic change which largely was requested because the freaking character creation is poor should not be cash only.

WoW actually does not charge real money for the basic changes, it's in-game gold.
    Now in wow you're trying to combine basic and gender changes with ESO, and for me, that why this is waaaay to high.

Let me change my hair, face, make-up, and physic with in-game gold.
    If you want to charge me for a gender change with a name change for $10....O K then it's comparable.

The name change and everything else is incredibly overpriced.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    1000 crowns for one appearance change?

I fully expected these to become something I could use frequently, like in any other game with a barber shop. With these prices I'm unlikely to use them at all. Even more so since nothing in the line of cultural hairstyles (TES3 Dunmer hairstyles? High Elven Falinesti?) has been added.
    Ling wrote: »
    but every appearance change for 1000 crowns is NOT ok ... in my opinion u should pay one time 1000 crowns to unlock a barbier and you can change your appearance every time! (maybe with ingame gold then)
    @Faulgor @Ling
    Sounds like you guys would be better off buying the hairstyles and adornments bundles (all existing hairstyles for 1000 Crowns, that you can change whenever you feel like it, is a good deal, I think). Hopefully there will soon be a bundle containing all existing adornments as well, and then you don't really need to bother with the Appearance Change tokens at all.

3500 Crowns for a Complete change (first 3 listed). Best value (due to pricing) if considering to buy the Race or Name change.

Sounds about right to me. Not too cheap that it encourages repeated usage, but cheap enough that for those to whom this matters, they will be able to afford it.

2500 is a bit steep (WoW's name change is only $10), but they really missed a trick by not including name change as part of appearance and race change, rather than as something separate, which I think is their biggest mistake.
    Agreed. In those situations, the price is too high for fixing something that was caused by a bug. A reduced-cost token would be nice for any character created while there were bugs affecting character creation.
    @Enodoc
    This isn't WoW and ESO is no where close to that level of success, quality nor does it offer that level of customization for the time it was released. Let's make sure we are comparing apples to apples and WoW is not that but as results of poor design and awful visuals for creation, the cost is disrespectful.
    Bah, whatever. I was only trying to see what other MMOs charged for the same things, and WoW was the first one I though of. Success and quality was not relevant for what I was looking at; one MMO, and another MMO, was all I was interested in.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most of this is perfectly fine. It is mostly inline or lower than other MMOs. The only issue is namechange. 1500 is more than enough and inline with other games. Don't be stupid ZoS.

It's not though. Star Trek Online has an in game tailor that costs a trivial amount of in game currency to change everything you want about your character. You pay a really small amount of in game currency for some changes while other changes like some uniforms require a cash shop purchase, and you can use the tailor as often as you want. I can entirely change the way my character looks and go back 10 minutes later and change it again.

To have played that game for years where I can change hair, height, head size, body bulk, eye color etc. for free as often as I want, and then come here where it costs 1000 crowns to do it once, is maddening. I mean wtf. Name change should cost money, yes. Race change should cost money, yes. Appearance change should NOT cost money unless you're changing to something that you have to buy, like a hair style or clothing from the cash shop.

This is a blatant cash grab.
    Edited by Holycannoli on July 26, 2016 11:36PM
  • LEGENDARYYY
    LEGENDARYYY
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is too pricy, FAR too pricy. I mean, do you wanna discourage ppl from buying stuff in crown store?

Like, instead of a race change I can buy a whole new game on Steam.

If you had lowered the costs you would definitely reach much higher total sales. Do you not realize that?

Every store in real life has understood this, how can ESO Crown Store lag 100 years behind.

Take me for example, I'd probably do two-three race changes for 500 crowns each,, maybe a few appearance changes for 300 crowns and four name changes for 200 crows each thats 3K + crowns I would spend. And I would spend it cause it would be worth the money.

Now, with these prices, I won't spend a single crown. And frankly idc too much about it, it just makes me sad on your behalf ZOS.

CP capped.

EP - Nord - Eystein Blodsbringar - Tristat DK Tank
    EP - Nord - Eyjolf Blodsbringar - Stamina NB PvPer
    EP - Argonian - Tired-Of-Cats - Magicka Sorc PvPer
    EP - Khajit - Cutepaws - Banker
    EP - Redguard - Jathod Trearan - Stamina DK DD
    EP - Redgaurd - Dhenus Okzhat-Si - Stamina Sorcerer DD (vMSA toon, 569K)
    EP - Altmer - Haqsin - Magicka Sorc DD
    EP - Altmer - Minia Feaine - Templar Healer

+ about 20 deleted alts

GM of Pact Veteran Trade (Craglorn), Traders of the Ebonheart (Mournhold), Pact Veteran Trade II (Mournhold)

All part of the "Akatosh Imperium".

Want competitive Cyrodiil? Support THIS thread.

Me soloing Veteran Elden Hollow and AA: HERE
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These prices are insane.

3000 to change your race, which 99% of people will need to accompany with a name change? aka 3500 crowns! 3000 crowns I could've bought Orsinium.

And if you just want to change your name (since we never knew we would even see each other's names on console so we have a lot of dumb names, waiting for this feature) it costs 2500 Crowns. That's te cost of Imperial City.

What are you doing? You'll make everyone think you're greedy, disgusting Devs with a reputation like EA. New players already leave from the terrible console performance, but now you further incentivize people to avoid ESO with outrageously greedy prices? What is wrong with you all.

If this is how it's gonna be forget about player housing. I'll use my pack mules. Don't need to spend hundreds of dollars for it. Whenever I see ZOS put a smidgen of effort into a new feature I know they'll rip us off now. Great.
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS, y'all done goofed on this one. From implementation all the way through pricing.
  • Bislobo
    Bislobo
    ✭✭✭
    TBH i am only impressed by the name change price... It should be something like 1000-1500. The rest is spot on, it should be costly to change race becouse it affects gameplay. The name change price tho is a money grab, it's a quality of life system that should be granted to the community for far less...
    Redguard Dragonknight - Bislobo
    Orc Nightblade - Bislobø
    Redguard Sorcerer - Bisłobo
    Imperial Templar - Bíslobo
    Altmer Sorcerer - Bisløbo
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...I'm really, really glad I was so picky during character creation. :astonished:

Somewhat off-topic:
    Did anyone else feel seriously creeped out seeing that eyeless Argonian manikin? :cold_sweat:

I really, really wish character creation wasn't broken when I created five of my characters.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    Pashen wrote: »

Some of this I understand the price, but the Name Change...that is utterly ridiculous. Sorry but that is an outrageous price for a change of letters.

Is not just about changing letters, its a balance to prevent the constant changing of names.

Why would they care how often someone wants to change their name?

Leaderboards use character name, not @handle. That is one reason on its own.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xael wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_KaiSchober

For these prices some changes need to be made before you go live.

Race Changes do not include a name change.
    Appearance change does not include a name change either.
    This is a terrible design. Either it's a massive oversight or you are doing this on purpose as another cash-grab.

Here are reasons why this current design is bad. Let's look at these hypotheticals:
    • Bill has an Argonian named like other Argonian npcs befitting nothing but an Argonian. Bill decides to race change to an Altmer. Name no longer fits. Now you have to pay for a name change along with the race change.
    • Tom has a male Nord named Larry. Tom decides to get an appearance change to go female. Name no longer applies. Now Tom has to buy a name change alongside the appearance change she already purchased.

This to me screams of intentional rip off. Especially if the prices are kind of high (and they are). Keep in mind when you introduced the Banker and Merchant there were no notes in the description indicating you couldn't repair on the Merchant, use the guild bank on the Banker. Each cost 5k crowns. No refunds. Guess who bought both not knowing these little facts? Me.

Regarding the new character changes:
    The 3 changes should be supersets of each other.
    1. Name change
    2. Name change + appearance change
    3. Name change + appearance change + race change

World of Warcraft managed to get this right. So did several other MMORPGs that are older. Are you really going to gouge us like this?

Except for the name change... these prices are exactly the same as wow...
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doncellius wrote: »
    These prices are insane.

3000 to change your race, which 99% of people will need to accompany with a name change? aka 3500 crowns! 3000 crowns I could've bought Orsinium.

And if you just want to change your name (since we never knew we would even see each other's names on console so we have a lot of dumb names, waiting for this feature) it costs 2500 Crowns. That's te cost of Imperial City.

What are you doing? You'll make everyone think you're greedy, disgusting Devs with a reputation like EA. New players already leave from the terrible console performance, but now you further incentivize people to avoid ESO with outrageously greedy prices? What is wrong with you all.

If this is how it's gonna be forget about player housing. I'll use my pack mules. Don't need to spend hundreds of dollars for it. Whenever I see ZOS put a smidgen of effort into a new feature I know they'll rip us off now. Great.

If you notice, DLC is relatively cheap. Like housing, there is no reason to limit purchase of DLC like there is race change or name change that can have an impact on the gameplay and social world of ESO.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanks , price is wrong but thanks for the option .
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    1000 crowns for one appearance change?

I fully expected these to become something I could use frequently, like in any other game with a barber shop. With these prices I'm unlikely to use them at all. Even more so since nothing in the line of cultural hairstyles (TES3 Dunmer hairstyles? High Elven Falinesti?) has been added.
    Ling wrote: »
    but every appearance change for 1000 crowns is NOT ok ... in my opinion u should pay one time 1000 crowns to unlock a barbier and you can change your appearance every time! (maybe with ingame gold then)
    @Faulgor @Ling
    Sounds like you guys would be better off buying the hairstyles and adornments bundles (all existing hairstyles for 1000 Crowns, that you can change whenever you feel like it, is a good deal, I think). Hopefully there will soon be a bundle containing all existing adornments as well, and then you don't really need to bother with the Appearance Change tokens at all.

@Enodoc
    Bah, whatever. I was only trying to see what other MMOs charged for the same things, and WoW was the first one I though of. Success and quality was not relevant for what I was looking at; one MMO, and another MMO, was all I was interested in.

But it's not even similar because basic cosmetic changes in WoW don't cost real money.

-PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Kronuxx
    Kronuxx
    ✭✭✭✭

I am glad they put race change at such a premium price. Prevent people from constantly trying to be FOTM. Although it would be more like Flavor of the Day if it was cheaper. Thank you ZOS.
  • Neirymn
    Neirymn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be ok with those prices if we had something in game just to do basic changes to our appearance, something limited so that paying 1k crowns to redo all our characters appearance is justified.

Please, give us a face sculptor in major cities, like Galathil, there is some lore behind this women and her craft if you listen to her lines, that would be pretty cool, I think.
    I once practiced my art in the salons and manors of Tamriel's great and good.

Or make it an assistant, at least we won't have to pay every time we want to change a little something, except in gold.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=w45rOt_BlSs
    Edited by Neirymn on July 27, 2016 2:30AM
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    After calming down and filtering myself, here is the polite reaction to these prices.

Appearence meh, but almost reasonable. Race change, that is way too high. Name change, I honestly find that a joke. Maybe a typo, so BOTD for now.

Of course, had you found racial passives that weren't inherently overpowered in a game designed for soft caps where there now are none, or simply locked a name change to once a week on a character based GCD, that would have solved these issues.

Appearance change should have had a gold option, and I will not back down from that idea.

And to be totally frank, I could overlook mounts for 40 real life dollars (lol), but paying 25 bucks to change my name in a video game is unjustifiable. Not even worth changing my appearance for ten bucks.

Almost enough for me to leave, but I think I'll vote with my wallet and unsub first. Gods above, ZOS...
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For anyone defending these Costs,I hope your OK with future things you might like being this high(housing,wearables,mounts) it's only going higher.with no sub required and state of issues/forum communication, this is the future of the game. Start saving,lol.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    After calming down and filtering myself, here is the polite reaction to these prices.

Appearence meh, but almost reasonable. Race change, that is way too high. Name change, I honestly find that a joke. Maybe a typo, so BOTD for now.

Of course, had you found racial passives that weren't inherently overpowered in a game designed for soft caps where there now are none, or simply locked a name change to once a week on a character based GCD, that would have solved these issues.

Appearance change should have had a gold option, and I will not back down from that idea.

And to be totally frank, I could overlook mounts for 40 real life dollars (lol), but paying 25 bucks to change my name in a video game is unjustifiable. Not even worth changing my appearance for ten bucks.

Almost enough for me to leave, but I think I'll vote with my wallet and unsub first. Gods above, ZOS...

All three prices are within the realm of reasonable, compared to other games. Sure, you can pick your games to make ESO sound expensive or cheap, but a quick jaunt around the internet comes up with enough different numbers to show that ZOS is at the upper end, but they are still in the range. Name change is the most out of line, and odd enough that there has to be another reason for it to be that way.

They made two mistakes with "race change". The first was not adding the name change. My guess is that they will do this when they get around to it, which won't be any time soon. The second was calling it "Race Change". They really needed to call it something more impressive, like a "Character Makeover", which sounds a lot more expensive.

If they had moved Gender change from Appearance, added in Name change, and called it something more impressive, it would probably have gone over better, even at 3000-3500 Crowns.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »

All three prices are within the realm of reasonable, compared to other games. Sure, you can pick your games to make ESO sound expensive or cheap, but a quick jaunt around the internet comes up with enough different numbers to show that ZOS is at the upper end, but they are still in the range. Name change is the most out of line, and odd enough that there has to be another reason for it to be that way.

They made two mistakes with "race change". The first was not adding the name change. My guess is that they will do this when they get around to it, which won't be any time soon. The second was calling it "Race Change". They really needed to call it something more impressive, like a "Character Makeover", which sounds a lot more expensive.

If they had moved Gender change from Appearance, added in Name change, and called it something more impressive, it would probably have gone over better, even at 3000-3500 Crowns.

I wouldn't mind the race price if I knew the passives we're set in stone.it's does after all include appearance and gender change.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »

I wouldn't mind the race price if I knew the passives we're set in stone.it's does after all include appearance and gender change.

You make a good case for waiting to see if Wrobel has race passives out of his system before buying any race changes...
  • GreatWhite000
    GreatWhite000
    ✭✭✭
    Race change is ridiculously expensive. I bought the banker and the dro-mathra senche mount, but I won't be getting any race changes. Name change too, but if I were to change race I would change character name as well and 3.5k crowns is just too much too justify - its cheaper to buy another character slot and level the same character as a different race or even delete the character and reroll a different race. Very disappointed in the race change pricing.
  • Lara1701
    Lara1701
    ✭✭✭
    The name change is certainly overpriced. Am I running a million dollar company? No. However, I did take Economics 101 back in the day and I'm aware that cheaper prices will cause people to spend more. The more of a deal people feel they're getting, the more of their dollars they'll part with.

That being said, the re-customization is overpriced too. In a game like The Old Republic you're charged itemized amounts for each change. You don't have to pay a massive, flat rate to change one feature. That's what you have to do here. I've deleted a V4 and re-leveled up past it. I'm perfectly content to do that again. If ZOS would like to offer me a better deal, I'd be happy to take it. Many players, either due to finances or being thrifty like me, will simply power-level. I may make use of it one time, but beyond that I'm going to re-create.

I'm perfectly happy with the price of the old hairstyles (though, I wouldn't have objected if you threw us a bone and gave subscribers those for free, huh?) and I'm happy with the new stuff at 200 a pop.
    "M'aiq knows much, and tells some. M'aiq knows many things others do not."
    ―M'aiq the Liar
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ill recognize this as an official discussion when i see a dev post a reply or statement, otherwise its just typical banter between the players,some great points and posts BTW. im just curious why they decided to take a suggestion made by the players awhile ago and make it cost this much.
    Edited by Mojmir on July 27, 2016 5:43AM
  • Leogon
    Leogon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3000 crowns for one race change and 2500 crowns for one name change?
    Considering the fact that 5500 crowns costs $50 CAD...
    giphy.gif

• Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leogon wrote: »
    3000 crowns for one race change and 2500 crowns for one name change?
    Considering the fact that 5500 crowns costs $50 CAD...
    giphy.gif

have i got a costume for you!!!

MJylxv1_zpsp1zngj6e.png
  • Ravereth
    Ravereth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why Race Change don't allow to change Alliance ?
    No option for Alliance Change?

@ZOS_GinaBruno