The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Discussion Thread for "Update 11 Guide: ESO Style Parlor"

• MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pashen wrote: »
    YoshinJaa wrote: »
    1000 Crowns to change your Appearance.
    3000 Crowns for Race change (and Appearance as well).
    2500 Crowns for Name change (lol)

200 Crowns per each premium hairstyle, adornment, etc.

3500 Crowns for a Complete change (first 3 listed). Best value (due to pricing) if considering to buy the Race or Name change.

Not sure why these prices are that high, but not a fan of them at ALL.

Some of this I understand the price, but the Name Change...that is utterly ridiculous. Sorry but that is an outrageous price for a change of letters.

Is not just about changing letters, its a balance to prevent the constant changing of names.

Why would they care how often someone wants to change their name?
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So wait, those of us who've waited over two years for this because we couldn't zoom into our characters during character creation at launch get to pay a thousand Crowns each to finally fix the mistakes we couldn't see at the time we made them?

Come on, pull the other one.
    Edited by MasterSpatula on July 26, 2016 5:51PM
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No word on how much they want for the base game hair pack, but they gave the price for everything else.

My guess is like 4000 Crowns, since it has 90+ hair styles in it (an 18000 Crown value! ...ahem)

Whoops, that was just an oversight! The hair style pack containing all hair styles from the base game will be 1000 crowns.

Well there's SOME good news. But really, NONE of these options should be more than 1,000 crowns and the name change should be the LEAST expensive thing, not the MOST expensive thing.

• CasNation
    CasNation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall these are pretty much in line with what I would expect an MMO to charge for these services. I was actually expecting more for the "complete overhaul" package. The only one I think is priced to high for the gain is the name change. Was expecting 2000 crowns. The others I think are priced on point.

And I am glad the hair styles are a reasonable price. Definitely going to pick up a few of those.
    PC NA AD
    Gamma Fyr: Dunmer Sorcerer Stamina DPS (the Missing Sister...props to those who get the reference)
    Samekh Fyr: Dunmer Nightblade Magicka DPS
    Claire Le'Rouge: Breton Templar Heal/Tank (the Resplendent Bastion)
    Augustus Constantine: Imperial Nightblade PvP (Blackwater Bandit)
    Shadow-of-Sundered-Star: Altmer Dragonknight Lowbie
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kharnis wrote: »

3500 Crowns for a Complete change (first 3 listed). Best value (due to pricing) if considering to buy the Race or Name change.

Some of this I understand the price, but the Name Change...that is utterly ridiculous. Sorry but that is an outrageous price for a change of letters.

Is not just about changing letters, its a balance to prevent the constant changing of names.

The solution to frequent name changing is simple: put in conditions that restricts name changes to once per month per character. Charging 2500 Crowns for a simple name change is, quite frankly, ridiculous. Especially considering that every other price is actually quite reasonable.

No that's absolutely dumb....just grey it out meaning the character gets greyed out for X amount of changes total within X timeframe just like deleting a character.

Pricing it higher is just greed
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would never happen but for once if most players got together and refuse to use and pay for these items.
  • Kharnis
    Kharnis
    ✭✭✭
    Kharnis wrote: »

The solution to frequent name changing is simple: put in conditions that restricts name changes to once per month per character. Charging 2500 Crowns for a simple name change is, quite frankly, ridiculous. Especially considering that every other price is actually quite reasonable.

No that's absolutely dumb....just grey it out meaning the character gets greyed out for X amount of changes total within X timeframe just like deleting a character.

Pricing it higher is just greed

I'm...not sure if I just haven't had enough coffee yet and don't quite understand what you're trying to say, but I think you and I agree: 2500 Crowns for a name change is pure greed on their part.
    "Technology today is a race between engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof devices, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

- Rich Cook
  • mistermacintosh
    mistermacintosh
    ✭✭✭
    I like the combo offer, it looks like they want to discourage too many changes (like name) yet I think the prices are about 500 crowns too high.

They have to do literally nothing once they implement this system, so I doubt they really care how often we change our characters.

It seems that they worked out that most folks who are going to change race and appearance in the next update will also want to change names, so they devised a menu that works out to about 3500 crowns ($30) per character (3500 for the race/name bundle or 3500 for a name and appearance separately).

For those of us that have been playing since beta, who have put in years of work into our characters, they know they can get away with scalping us in this way, so that's exactly what they're doing. Unless they come up with some introductory reduced price, limited-time bulk character or loyalty discount (for supporting them for 2+ years), we have no reason to think otherwise.
    Edited by mistermacintosh on July 26, 2016 6:33PM
    Legalize Nirnroot!

Mac User, NA Server (CP810+, PVE focused):
    Magicka Templar Ra the Everlasting (Level 50 - Main Character)
    Stamina Sorcerer Khazaka-ri (Level 50 - Crafter)
    Dragonknight Tank Skalda Flamewreath (Level 50)
    Pet Sorcerer Hellias Ocume (Level 50)
    Magicka Necromancer Socelon (Level 4)

Templar Healer Mends-Through-Panic (Level 50)
    Stamina Nightblade Adanna-daro (Level 50)
    Stamina Warden Marely Sprigs (Level 50)
    Stamina Dragonknight Ursula Trollcalmer (Level 50)
    Stamina Necromancer Daengeval (Level 4)

Stamina Templar Cornellus Graves (Level 50)
    Warden Healer Pays-For-Luxury (Level 50)
    Magicka Sorcerer Sophia Flash (Level 50)
    Magicka Dragonknight Cinvalo Aloavel (Level 50)
    Magicka Nightblade Esmerelda the Cruel (Level 50)
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds about right to me. Not too cheap that it encourages repeated usage, but cheap enough that for those to whom this matters, they will be able to afford it.

1000 Crowns is about $10, cheaper than WoW.
    3000 Crowns is $25, same as WoW.
    2500 is a bit steep (WoW's name change is only $10), but they really missed a trick by not including name change as part of appearance and race change, rather than as something separate, which I think is their biggest mistake.

Preyfar wrote: »
    My character's appearance changed permanently in game due to a bug. I'm glad I can finally fix it, but I am miffed at the price
    So wait, those of us who've waited over two years for this because we couldn't zoom into our characters during character creation at launch get to pay a thousand Crowns each to finally fix the mistakes we couldn't see at the time we made them?
    Agreed. In those situations, the price is too high for fixing something that was caused by a bug. A reduced-cost token would be nice for any character created while there were bugs affecting character creation.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • AJTC5000
    AJTC5000
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just highlight a bit of flawed logic:

1000 crowns for appearance change only
    3000 crowns for appearance change and/or race change (valuing race change at 2000 crowns)
    3500 crowns for appearance change and/or race change and/or name change (valuing name change at 500 crowns)

> 2500 crowns for name change only

Um . . . ? Either someone has *** up with their maths, or ZOS are really trying to pry as much money as they can from us, knowing that name change may be the most common thing bought . . . bloody hell.
    • PC/NA - @AJTC5000
      DC - Alena-Draco - Dunmer Magicka Templar

PvE Achievements
      Trials
      • vHRC HM
      • vAA HM
      • vSO HM
      • vMoL HM (Dro-m'Athra Destroyer)
      • vHoF HM (Tick-Tock Tormentor/The Dynamo)
      • vAS HM (Saintly Saviour/Immortal Redeemer)
      • vCR HM
      • vSS HM
      • vRG (Oax HM)
      • vDSR (Reef Guardian HM)

Arenas
      • vMA Flawless
      • vBRP
      • vVA Flawless (Spirit Slayer)

Dungeons
      • vFL HM (Leave No Bone Unbroken)
      • vSCP HM (Mountain God)
      • vMHK HM (Pure Lunacy)
      • vMoS HM (Apex Predator)
      • vFV HM (Relentless Raider)
      • vDoM HM (Depths Defier)
      • vLoM HM (Nature's Wrath)
      • vMGF HM (Defanged the Devourer)
      • vIcereach HM (No Rest for the Wicked/Storm Foe)
      • vUG HM (In Defiance of Death/Bonecaller's Bane)
      • vSG HM
      • vCT HM (Bane of Thorns)
      • vBDV HM (Ardent Bibliophile)
      • vCauldron HM (Subterranean Smasher)
      • vRPB HM (Bastion Breaker/of the Silver Rose)
      • vDC HM (Battlespire's Best/The Dreaded)
      • vCA HM
      • vSR HM
      • vERE HM (Invaders' Bane)
      • vGD HM (Fist of Tava)
      • vSH HM (Magnastylus in the Making/Curator's Champion)
      • vBS HM (Temporal Tempest)
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AJTC5000 wrote: »
    Um . . . ? Either someone has *** up with their maths, or ZOS are really trying to pry as much money as they can from us, knowing that name change may be the most common thing bought . . . bloody hell.

I guess there's a difference in perspective, because I would tend to think that if minor appearance tweaks cost less than major changes, then the tiny tweaks would be the most common thing bought. I would expect them to make quite a bit off of those, TBH.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dethbl00ms wrote: »
    I like the combo offer, it looks like they want to discourage too many changes (like name) yet I think the prices are about 500 crowns too high.

They have to do literally nothing once they implement this system, so I doubt they really care how often we change our characters.

It seems that they worked out that most folks who are going to change race and appearance in the next update will also want to change names, so they devised a menu that works out to about 3500 crowns ($30) per character (3500 for the race/name bundle or 3500 for a name and appearance separately).

For those of us that have been playing since beta, who have put in years of work into our characters, they know they can get away with scalping us in this way, so that's exactly what they're doing. Unless they come up with some introductory reduced price, limited-time bulk character or loyalty discount (for supporting them for 2+ years), we have no reason to think otherwise.

Basically I'd consider this "fair" if they doubled my crown allotment each month for subbing. I know there's no chance in Oblivion of that though. So I guess let's just hope they are smart enough to do a half price Crown sale before this hits.
    Edited by MornaBaine on July 26, 2016 6:37PM

• mistermacintosh
    mistermacintosh
    ✭✭✭
    SubtleHate wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Halve the prices.

At least temporarily for those of us with 8+ characters, please.
    Legalize Nirnroot!

• mistermacintosh
    mistermacintosh
    ✭✭✭
    No word on how much they want for the base game hair pack, but they gave the price for everything else.

My guess is like 4000 Crowns, since it has 90+ hair styles in it (an 18000 Crown value! ...ahem)

Whoops, that was just an oversight! The hair style pack containing all hair styles from the base game will be 1000 crowns.

This seems like a great deal. Doesn't even come close to making up for the token-gouging, but hey I'll take it.
    Legalize Nirnroot!

• Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1000 crowns for one appearance change?

I fully expected these to become something I could use frequently, like in any other game with a barber shop. With these prices I'm unlikely to use them at all. Even more so since nothing in the line of cultural hairstyles (TES3 Dunmer hairstyles? High Elven Falinesti?) has been added.

Sorry to say that for the first time I'm really disappointed with an update.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • mistermacintosh
    mistermacintosh
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that you guys have the nerve to only letting us re style our characters by paying with real life money is bad and greedy enough, but the fact that a name change is not included in race change is even worse then that.... Just watch, zenimax will do the same thing for housing when it comes around. You want that special house in your favorite zone? 5k crowns. Oh you didn't like the door type that the house came with? that'll be 1k crowns more please. Zenimax has no idea what consumer goodwill is. You lost mine, i hope it was worth the extra money it earned you. And i wouldn't be suprised if it was.

@MyNameIsElias - Just to point out that you can get them in a bundle that includes the race and name change for 3500 Crowns. That makes the name change 500 Crowns.

The point is that most of us will be paying 3500 crowns ($30) per character. It's not a big deal if you have like 3 characters that you actually care about, but for those of us that want to change 8 or more, it is really going to add up.
    Legalize Nirnroot!

• mistermacintosh
    mistermacintosh
    ✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    ZOS I also want you to know that once again you've completely disappointed your roleplaying community. So many of us were thrilled that we could now do things like kill a character and yet use that same template so as not to lose all our progression by being forced to reroll in order to create a new character. But at over 20 bucks a pop? No way. You'll get to gouge me ONCE on this because I've been counting on it to make some major changes rather than deleting characters I've already leveled. But then I will NEVER use these options again. And I will be using them less than I planned and indeed doing some deleting and rerolling. As a paying customer I am here to tell you that I am DEEPLY UNHAPPY with your decision on this. And yes, I'll be telling people to wait for new games rather than pick up this one because of the road you are choosing to go down. I am VERY disappointed.

Yeah, I didn't even think about role-players. All those players who have wanted to try it out, but had names that didn't work for the guilds and who weren't about to re-roll: you're hurting them too. 2500 crowns to change a line of text. Wow, thanks for the sweet deal.
    Legalize Nirnroot!

• mistermacintosh
    mistermacintosh
    ✭✭✭
    senhavran wrote: »
    I have a level 4 ish Khajiit with all the mount skills maxed out, I wanted to change her hair, her fur and her name but I'd rather delete her as she is low level and wait to max my mount skills again with 45k gold than paying 3500 crowns. lol

Race/appearance change is 4 x more expensive than in FFXIV, wow...

There is a lot of things I dislike about FFXIV but at least we can change our make up, our hair style and color (no sex, race, eyes color, skin color, voice, just things you could REALLY change by going to a "barber shop") in game with gold, that's something that should be added in my opinion: a limited appearance change for in game gold, very immersive.

As for name change... it's 3 x more expensive than in FFXIV. But as FFXIV has a mandatory subscription fee, I guess it's just fair that they have to pay less than in a buy to play game and ESO Plus subscribers have crowns that they can save to buy those tokens.

Yet, I miss Galathil. >_>

Yeah, if all of my characters weren't 9-trait master crafters, home-alliance heroes, knew just about every motif, and had pack and mount upgrades maxed out, I'd totally re-roll to avoid paying 28000 crowns in August.
    Legalize Nirnroot!

• mistermacintosh
    mistermacintosh
    ✭✭✭

Who cares how many times we change our names? What impact will it have on anything? They put the whole system in our hands. All ZOS has to do is deposit earnings into their piggy banks.
    Legalize Nirnroot!

• mistermacintosh
    mistermacintosh
    ✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »

Sounds about right to me. Not too cheap that it encourages repeated usage, but cheap enough that for those to whom this matters, they will be able to afford it.

1000 Crowns is about $10, cheaper than WoW.
    3000 Crowns is $25, same as WoW.
    2500 is a bit steep (WoW's name change is only $10), but they really missed a trick by not including name change as part of appearance and race change, rather than as something separate, which I think is their biggest mistake.

Preyfar wrote: »
    My character's appearance changed permanently in game due to a bug. I'm glad I can finally fix it, but I am miffed at the price
    Agreed. In those situations, the price is too high for fixing something that was caused by a bug. A reduced-cost token would be nice for any character created while there were bugs affecting character creation.

Seriously, if you're changing your race or sex, you're probably going to want to change your name. Why would they not include that other than pure greed?
    Legalize Nirnroot!

• Ling
    Ling
    ✭✭✭
    race change is ok for 3000 crowns in my opinion and also name change for 2500 crowns!

but every appearance change for 1000 crowns is NOT ok ... in my opinion u should pay one time 1000 crowns to unlock a barbier and you can change your appearance every time! (maybe with ingame gold then)
    Lìng ~ Ebonheart-Pact
    Achievement points: 33290
    Alliance rank: Grand Overlord (50)(since 2016)
    Soloplayer
  • Lettigall
    Lettigall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking at those prices, it's good thing that armor dying was implemented before crown store...
    Some men just want to watch the world burn... I just want a cold beer!
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    Are you KIDDING ME??? Seriously ZOS how badly is your company doing financially to justify these kids of prices?

Higher prices tend to be a sign of manufacturer and retail confidence, not desperation.

The ESO+ elitists wanted continued dominance over their preferred form of video game welfare while making everything in the Crown Store irrelevant crap for anyone except filthy casuals with too much money.

And maybe it still is. But it's not the prices bothering people. It's the cognitive dissonance between the elitist mindset and the want for customization options locked behind a feature they never wanted in the game. And that kind of inner drama is fun to watch. Because nobody ever blames themselves for the increasingly complex situations they get themselves into...
    signing off
  • Alp
    Alp
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why have some of you made 8 characters you dislike and levelled them all enough to justify paying for changing the appearance instead of just starting over?

I'm not going to defend ZOS but I don't think we are supposed to be encouraged to change our name or race very often. That and the old subscription that's now not mandatory anymore wasn't a bad price to pay in my opinion. It wasn't much more than changing your characters race was it?
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems fair to me.. was even expecting race change to be more, ie. 5000.

It's not something you do daily anyway.. and if you don't like it, you can always grind up a new character, which doesn't even take that long anymore.
  • Feynn
    Feynn
    ✭✭✭
    So the Race Change obviously includes Appareance Change as well. Does it also include a complimentary name change? It wouldn't make any sense to change an Orc character to become an Argonian, and have it still named Gurgak gro-Burlog instead of Lowers-her-Tail. But having to spend an additional 2500 Crowns for the name change on top of the 3000 Crowns for the race change seems just a bit too much, don't you think?
    Join us on Stormhaven RP! The largest TESO roleplay community of the Daggerfall Covenant, EU Megaserver.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what happens when we ask for things.
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feynn wrote: »
    So the Race Change obviously includes Appareance Change as well. Does it also include a complimentary name change? It wouldn't make any sense to change an Orc character to become an Argonian, and have it still named Gurgak gro-Burlog instead of Lowers-her-Tail. But having to spend an additional 2500 Crowns for the name change on top of the 3000 Crowns for the race change seems just a bit too much, don't you think?

It does not. But there's a name+race bundle that'll cost 3.5k.
  • Ehefkae
    Ehefkae
    ✭✭
    Feynn wrote: »
    So the Race Change obviously includes Appareance Change as well. Does it also include a complimentary name change?

No, but they have a bundle with Race + Name Change for 3500 crowns.

Personally I find all of the prices except for the Name Change to be reasonable. I had hoped for 1500 or at most 2000 crowns for that feature. As it is, for the three characters I want to modify, I'm looking at 8500 crowns (1 race/name change and 2 name changes) which is only 500 crowns shy of a 6 month sub crown allotment. That's pretty steep, in my opinion.
    Tenacious Deals - The only trade guild that will rock your socks off!
  • Neirymn
    Neirymn
    ✭✭✭✭
    At least, now I know that I'd better not screw my future characters if I want to save some crowns from my sub to buy something else in the CS. :D