The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Taverns Made More Useful, and Re-purposed

• Balamoor
    Balamoor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would definitely like to see a Tavern system that makes them more than just empty spaces. I think one good idea would to have a interface that allowed you to play the upcoming card game ES legends in the taverns, winning games could garner boost, special cards achievements and titles. Also setting up a specific series of quest that involved the taverns throughout the game might help.

There is certainly a lot that can be done to give all of these empty spaces more life.
  • AndyTGD
    AndyTGD
    ✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote:
    In The Elder Scrolls there exists a Prostitution Guild. Why not have players "service" other players and both players get a buff and the Prostitute gets gold?

There doesn't have to be visuals attached to this.
    Gidorick wrote:
    lol. Yea. I know. Western society is too prudish to "handle" such things.

Umm, because some of us don't want ESO to descend further into an ERPing mess like Second Life which is infamous for furries engaging in glorified simulated zoophilia between players (visuals or not)? One would also want to avoid glamorising the glorified sex slavery, trafficking and sexual abuse of desperate women. There are plenty of sleazy MMORPGs out there, I'd rather ESO refrain from becoming more like them. But hey.

Balamoor wrote: »
    I would definitely like to see a Tavern system that makes them more than just empty spaces. I think one good idea would to have a interface that allowed you to play the upcoming card game ES legends in the taverns, winning games could garner boost, special cards achievements and titles.

I also really like this idea or something similar to it. Tavern games seem like such a natural addition to the game.
    Edited by AndyTGD on June 20, 2016 3:56PM
  • Bracteamentum
    It would sure give the role play part of the game a boost but on the other side you should consider the amount of game features that would become too much over time.
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New passive:

Lover's Embrace: Receive a 20% bonus to all XP gained for two hours after engaging in erotic roleplay with your Ring of Mara partner
    Edited by arkansas_ESO on June 20, 2016 4:00PM

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • Miszou
    Miszou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not change any buffs to be more effective, the longer you stay?

hang out for 5 minutes and get 1%, or stick around for an hour and get 5%
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    In The Elder Scrolls there exists a Prostitution Guild. Why not have players "service" other players and both players get a buff and the Prostitute gets gold?

There doesn't have to be visuals attached to this.
    Heh! I'll just add that to my list of "guild DLCs I really want to see in ESO", right next to the bards and scholars guild ideas... :p;)
    But yeah, it would be a bit... much considering how the game industry mishandles these things.
    Maybe just an "entertainer" guild, and we just shan't specify just what kind that 'entertainment' really is? I mean, remember a certain quest in Malabel Tor? it could also be massage, arm wrestling or cooking, right? ;)

As for taverns... I really prefer then not be cluttered up with AFK players there for the buff while they are off cooking their pre-gamespree dinner. So I'd be against handing out buffs, but instead having fun bar games...

For example, make up, say, a dozend different bar games, stuff like dartboards, arm wrestling tables, drinking contests, card tables, boardgames, magical games, dancing contests, axe throwing games (a favorite among nords, almost as popular as the drinking contest!) and so on, and have two random-ish (depending on region) ones in each tavern, one free for players to compete against each other, one with an NPC opponent to "train"... both versions gold-powered, wager some gold, win and get the pot, loose and, well, lose your ante.

And if I had all my wishes, it'd be games where your stats gave you a bonus - health giving a bonus to the drinking game, stamina to the darts game for example, and magica to some mystical "use your mind in an tug-of-war type mages guild game"...

And of course, there could be bar jobs for players looking to make some extra coin. Friendly characters serving tables. Intimidating characters standing around looking tough and occasionally throwing out a drunk. Bardic characters playing music. Provisioner-skilled characters manning the kitchen. That sort of thing... could come with a special costume for each position that -must- be worn to complete the job? And maybe opportunities to use some speechcraft skills? A waitress using persuade to get an extra tip? A bouncer using intimidate to quell a bar fight before it breaks out? Whatever...

Which brings us to the next... bar fights. They are a well honed tradition in fantasy genres! So we should have them in ESO too... no weapons, just fists... though the bouncers may have special "subduing" weapons - cudgel, blugs, or a magical stun staff...

So many options that could be added to make ESO more fun!
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AndyTGD wrote: »
    Umm, because some of us don't want ESO to descend further into an ERPing mess like Second Life which is infamous for furries engaging in glorified simulated zoophilia between players (visuals or not)? One would also want to avoid glamorising the glorified sex slavery, trafficking and sexual abuse of desperate women. There are plenty of sleazy MMORPGs out there, I'd rather ESO refrain from becoming more like them. But hey.

But in The Elder Scrolls a prostitutes guild exists... it would make sense contextually and like I said, it could be done tastefully. It wouldn't be an activity for role play at all, but would rather be a gameplay mechanic and a skill line.

The glorification of sex slavery, trafficking and sexual abuse of desperate women is entirely on you @AndyTGD . No where did I say there need to be pimps or that player be forced to do anything or that prostitutes should only be women. You brought every bit of that to the table yourself.

Besides, ever single person playing ESO should be mature enough to not let their outlook on the world be swayed by activities performed in a fictional world, on a fiction planet, by fictional characters. ZOS shouldn't have to design their game to accommodate for crap parenting.

But... You're right in that they have to be socially considerate... which is why I'm not suggesting the simulation of sex in any way, shape, or form. In fact, what I'm suggesting would be less graphic than the stuff I already see taking place out in public spaces. Some of that would make Molag Bal blush.

So, as for ESO "becoming" more like one of those sleazy MMOs. I think we're too late.
    Edited by Gidorick on June 20, 2016 4:44PM
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • AndyTGD
    AndyTGD
    ✭✭✭
    But in The Elder Scrolls a prostitutes guild exists... it would make sense contextually and like I said, it could be done tastefully. It wouldn't be an activity for role play at all, but would rather be a gameplay mechanic and a skill line.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Prostitutes Guild was proposed but ultimately dropped from Daggerfall, right? With all due respect (and I'm saying this with a smile), the mechanic is frankly tasteless and since it operates between players strongly encourages the kind of ERPing behaviour which I was addressing before.
    The glorification of sex slavery, trafficking and sexual abuse of desperate women is entirely on you @AndyTGD . No where did I say there need to be pimps or that player be forced to do anything or that prostitutes should only be women. You brought every bit of that to the table yourself.
    Prostitution is a dark, dark world filled with moral evil, pain and suffering. My point is that any game mechanic which paints prostitution as an enjoyable, pain-free romp resulting in bonuses all-round, glamorises the activity. There are ways to handle such understandably sensitive subjects, but not really in such a scenario.
    As for ESO "becoming" one of them. I think we're too late. The stuff I see taking place out in public spaces would make Molag Bal blush.
    lol, yeah its depressingly present. I did say that ESO ought to refrain from becoming more like said sleazy MMORPGs. It certainly ought not to be encouraged by adding a player-player prostitution guild. ;)

But anyway, back to taverns!
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    INN EVENTS

After looking at the OPs suggestions and revisiting Giddy's thread, as well as considering the way development has gone and trying to get the most players into it, my own recommendations would be:

1. Have the events be short and repeatable with XP/gold rewards and also with achievements for successfully completing something 10, 50, and 100 times. Or 5, 15, 30 times. Or 10, 100, 200 times. Depends on the event, but you get the idea. This encourages players to come to inns for as long as they want without feeling like they have to stay a long time to get anything out of it. If the events are fun, have decent rewards, and unlock achievements with funny/clever titles, people will still visit inns more and stay longer.

2. Have some events be universal, and others rare (original new events or unique versions of universal events). Drinking contests, patterned after the event already present at Geirmund's Hall in The Rift, could be universal. Others could be rare, only spawning at certain times like the Lightbringer, Crimes Pays, Give to the Poor, and I Like M'aiq achievements. The rare ones encourage people to stop more often at different inns. Have NPC comments-in-passing come up if you get the full achievement series for one of the event types ("I heard you can really hold your mead! You're no milk-drinker!").

3. Have a focus on NPC events. That isn't to say no player vs player contests should be available, but if most or all inn events require other players to try/complete the concept will flop. Some players prefer to be solo all of the time, and some play at odd hours. Having fun, rewarding events (see #1) that have some rare, achievement based elements mixed in (see #2) will get people into the inns. But if I go in a certain inn off-hours and no one is there or they are busy, I don't want to have to wait around. Certainly though, have one or two events that players can do together with some nice rewards.

As for the event types/categories I would endorse:

- Bar Brawls. These would be fists only, no ability bar, and without pushover NPCs. You wouldn't be 100-0. You'd have to work for the wins and lose a fair amount. Special/rare version would involve getting drunk first as part of the NPC's challenge as you do in some fights in Ebonheart. The drunk versions would be like rare spawns and have their own achievement. Another rare version would be special named bar brawler champion types that are particularly tough and spawn randomly.
    Rewards: XP, Gold, Credit Toward Achievement(s)

- Drinking Contests. Like Geirmund's Hall include a mechanic that allows you to not pass out (like eating food every so many drink) but with fast/hard drinking NPCs competing at the same time to make it a challenge. This one could include an option for multiple players to join in after the event is triggered but the NPCs would still compete.
    Rewards: XP, Gold, Credit Toward Achievement

- Gambling. Something simple that is easy to follow with text prompt and a basic graphics display but that requires some strategy and luck, like a slightly more sophisticated version of rock-paper-scissors. It should have a chance to make a mistake/lose a round at least twice before the event ends with the player winning or losing, like picking a master lock on a door or chest. Have it be a single game so players can learn/practice it and work on the achievement anywhere in Tamriel.
    Rewards: XP, Gold, Credit Toward Achievement

- Singing. Again, goes back to Geirmund's Hall (and every karaoke night in a bar ever). You pick up a job as an entertainer and have a choice to get a drink (or two, or three, or... the bottle... what was I you me?) before you proceed. You then get a glance at the lyric sheet and begin. The more you have to drink the greater the potential rewards but also the less time you have to read the lyrics at the start and the faster the text prompts go by (if you miss one the default is "..."). The more accurate you are the higher the reward.

So getting tanked and hitting every lyric is a big pay day. Also the drunker you are the blurrier the lyric sheet is at the start. The song book from which your selection is drawn is quite large and some songs are region specific. Achievements for completing songs, completing songs totally wasted, completing songs perfectly, completing songs perfectly while totally wasted, and a single achievement for gloriously blowing a song while totally wasted are included.
    Rewards: XP, Gold, Credit Toward Achievement(s)

INN FEATURES

As for features other than humorous NPC dialogue and being able to buy food and drink or prepare food and drink:

Rent a room for enlightenment bonus. Log out for the night (or at least so many hours) in a room you've rented at the inn and find that your enlightenment bonus has been magnified when you log back in.

Player Guild recruitment board. Click to search guilds by categories and name (level 50 only, crafting, trading, raiding, PvP, etc)

Innkeeper quests. Like prior TES games for an expanded, One Tamriel.
    Edited by tinythinker on June 20, 2016 5:33PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Ep1kMalware
    Ep1kMalware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miszou wrote: »
    Why not change any buffs to be more effective, the longer you stay?

hang out for 5 minutes and get 1%, or stick around for an hour and get 5%

Sweet! I'll rubber band my controller before going to work!