The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cheating in ESO

• outsideworld76
    outsideworld76
    ✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    31:59
    Too many people presented themselves as 'good' and tell you the 'l2p' is the only issue.

Cyrodiil has major lag issues of which I'm certain cause of lot of imbalance and now we even have to deal with this cheating stuff. PvP is FUBAR.
  • mchermie
    mchermie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reevster wrote: »
    Has anyone ever seen a GM online in ESO? I havent lol, I play up to 12 hpours a day at times....have not seen one yet.

Ive never seen one, but I did get whispers from one once
    Retired
    NA DC
    K-Hole
    McHermie NB - AR 42
    McHermes DK - AR 18
    Lord Typh Templar - AR 11
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever seen a GM online in ESO? I havent lol, I play up to 12 hpours a day at times....have not seen one yet.
    They usually hang out in starter zones Auridon, Glenumbra and Stonefalls. Sometimes they talk in zone chat and help ppl like IM STUCK types. It gets quite funny sometimes.^^ They have the Z tag on their names, so that's how i know.

Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dyride wrote: »
    Zyle wrote: »
    The #1 thing I agree on is: ZOS needs a more active in game presence for issues like this. You can't tell me that if a GM logged on and witnessed someone cheating it wouldn't be enough to issue an immediate perma-ban.

I hate to say it but I can do something terrible on the forums and receive a ban quicker than I can receive a ban in game for blatantly cheating like said players were.

I believe that GMs are able to stay invisible. But I do agree that they should have more of an active presence to engage the community and stay on top of things.

I think it's more like they can turn visible, normally they are not visible. I have seen one, and I'm the only person that I know that has. I got him/her to turn visible by appealing to their ego, you know a whisper of "wow can you guys actually turn visible and do special things? That would be pretty cool" and visible they turned and then teleported me around a bit.

This was back when Craglorn was still current and there was a big account hacking thing going on (without the email going out etc.) They did their best to restore stuff to my account, I still have some stuff they made for me.... rules don't apply to GM created stuff, they can stack things you normally can't stack.
  • Thornen
    Thornen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 for the Lord. Unfortunately Zenimax's solutions are often worse than the problems.

Also in game GM's are make believe like elves or Eskimos...
    Edited by Thornen on June 1, 2016 1:11PM
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Fengrush

Good Video Bro! As always you hit the nail on the head!

I do want to add a little of commentary. As you said, the "Smart Cheaters" will simply add little values here and there and see what they can get away with, most likely on throw away accounts. Since there is really nothing Client Side(Punkbuster) or any type of real progression and behavior based anti-cheat system(VAC which Valve uses) a lot of these cheaters will fly under the radar, at this point i don't see ZOS investing the resources into really fixing and preventing this type of stuff.

Right now I know of a few known cheaters(Folks i and many others have seen speed hacking and everything else in Cyrodiil for months ) that have got their perma-bans reversed. This tells me one thing:

ZOS won't take any type of hard stance on this because they risk losing too many Crown and DLC sales on a game with a withering population. They are going squeeze as much out of this game as possible. All while allowing cheating to run rampant in this game while saying publicly that they "don't tolerate cheating" simply because it doesn't cost them any money to say this.

Look at Steam VAC system

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4044-qdhj-5691

All VAC bans are permanent - Valve has a zero-tolerance policy for cheating and will not lift VAC bans on request. Steam Support agents cannot remove or modify bans. If a round of VAC bans is determined to have been issued incorrectly, they will be automatically reversed by our servers. Creating a Steam Support ticket will not cause your ban to be removed.

When a cheat is detected, VAC issues a ban on the account for a future date. You do not need to be online at the time for this ban to take effect.

You see that, call into Customer Service and cry all you want, they will not lift your VAC ban. Infact they can't,CS can't lift your ban. if your banned in error the system itself will automatically lift your ban. This is what ESO needs, but i doubt ZOS has the stomach to do what needs to be done. They proved they didn't when they handed out 3 days bans for folks exploiting crafting writs for tons of tempers and gold, 72 hour slap on the wrist. Now we have known cheaters being unbanned.

Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• phbell
    phbell
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @FENGRUSH

This has proven to be very enlightening, because I often wondered how I could get killed by 5 or more skills (including a few meteors) within a second or two. This behavior makes me depressed because I really like the game and the friends I have made while on it, and now I am forced to re-evaluate whether I even want to play.... Bummer.

Cheating is a matter of character -- or more accurately the absence of character. Just because something can be done does not mean it should be done. First the lag and now this; Now, if I go back to Cryodiil I will always wonder. Perhaps I will find an alternative.

I have walked this planet for more years than most in these forums and can share the observation that those that cheat at the little things in life - will also cheat at the important things in life. Those compelled to cheat are simply not worth knowing because they cannot be trusted. You seem like a very decent fellow and may wish to rethink your friendship with those mentioned.

Thanks again.

Peace.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Starshadw wrote: »
    The thing is, people have been cheating from Day One.

And to be honest, I'm not sure ZOS can stop it - because the reason it's so easy to cheat is because the game is designed to allow add-ons. That puts holes and openings in the code that are just begging to be exploited.

You know how and Add On to ESO gets his approval? Yup, it is sent to the same ESO devs who study it and see if it can be a good addition to the game or if it breaks playability.

So, please stop talking about something you don't know.
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dyride wrote: »
    Zyle wrote: »
    The #1 thing I agree on is: ZOS needs a more active in game presence for issues like this. You can't tell me that if a GM logged on and witnessed someone cheating it wouldn't be enough to issue an immediate perma-ban.

I hate to say it but I can do something terrible on the forums and receive a ban quicker than I can receive a ban in game for blatantly cheating like said players were.

I believe that GMs are able to stay invisible. But I do agree that they should have more of an active presence to engage the community and stay on top of things.

Something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCsMKypvmB0
    Edited by Xvorg on June 1, 2016 5:36PM
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • God_flakes
    God_flakes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stikato wrote: »
    Well said. This whole episode is very demoralizing.

I sat out TG because my build basically got trashed, IC was still undeveloped, and some other gameplay and performance issues. It seemed as if some of these issues were being addressed, and I have been thinking about playing in DB.

Now that this cheating has been exposed, it has called into question so much. Like you said, it feels like there will be this shadow of doubt that will hang over PVP and lead to a lot of frustration and acrimony. And a lot of us are busy, and don't feel like spending an evening of gaming wondering if people are cheating.

Have to say I agree. I'm filled with disappointment and a whole lot of mistrust. I have heard and seen so many people throwing others under the bus, many top players who are using the CE to tweak their stats to give them an edge but not be obvious. I have reflected on past fights and battles and wondered bitterly, did our team lose because someone had inflated stats? I remember all those times Columba and I and many others have come here and stated our suspicions and so many insulted us and accused us of wearing tin foil hats. I remember so many of those fights that just felt wrong. Like last week against 3 AD when a level 23 healer was single targeted and couldn't be killed. I came here and said something and right away some dude jumped on me and defended those AD and said "get good". I know someone who has video of a well known AD running speed legs but he's so sure Zos won't do anything to the player (because they already unbanned his partner) he won't even be bothered to submit the video. He's simply gonna leave the game. Can't say I blame him. I myself am livid about the 50$ I just spent on IC and exp scrolls the day before this scandal broke. Why did I bother when I can just d/l this well known and easy to use cheat engine and with the push of a mouse button I can save myself time and money. Why not? Zos isn't or can't or won't do anything anyway. And on and on it goes. I hate to say it, because I was in denial a few days ago, but this whole thing is going to be the final flush that sends this game down the crapper. Zaz and @FENGRUSH will do down as legendary whistle blowers. And I'm glad they did what they did. In fact I wish I could send Zaz an edible arrangement.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went ahead an watched the rest . And some old videos too . Something about it all reminds me of ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GGNdnlCbfMs

^ You and Sypher going back and forth with each other in old videos and of course joking in this one .

@FENGRUSH

Did you know about the CE all the time or just recently ?

^ Question is not an allegation . Several people knew a long time ago and didn't use it themselves . The question is legit with no strings attached .

Edited to explain a very vague post before any more people take it the wrong way . In my defense , I was typing with one finger on a IPad an eating a subway sammich in the other ....
    Edited by Rohamad_Ali on June 1, 2016 7:45PM
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first place to look after losing a fight should always be the mirror. Cheating is a reality in most games, but unless it can be proven, it is not the reason you lost that fight -- today or six months ago.

Even in games with no cheats available, it is common for the best players to be constantly accused of cheating. Not many people are humble enough to accept they do not know everything about a game or that somebody else may have better senses or motor skills.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    The first place to look after losing a fight should always be the mirror. Cheating is a reality in most games, but unless it can be proven, it is not the reason you lost that fight -- today or six months ago.

Even in games with no cheats available, it is common for the best players to be constantly accused of cheating. Not many people are humble enough to accept they do not know everything about a game or that somebody else may have better senses or motor skills.

AFAIK there is no game that has no-one cheating. Every game I personally have ever been involved with has had at some point a cheating scandal
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watching how broken this game is and how much more broken it gets with every so called "update" is disgusting. I'd rather have all the perma batswarm *** over what we have now. Atleast i would have normal FPS and SOUND.
    :]
  • Ghost-Shot
    Ghost-Shot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Watching how broken this game is and how much more broken it gets with every so called "update" is disgusting. I'd rather have all the perma batswarm *** over what we have now. Atleast i would have normal FPS and SOUND.

LF Vanilla server, PST
  • Morostyle
    Morostyle
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ghost-Shot wrote: »

LF Vanilla server, PST

Vanilla cross-server mmmmmm yes!
  • God_flakes
    God_flakes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the cheating apologists: stop putting lipstick on the pig. Stop trying to mitigate this. Stop minimizing it. Idgaf that this has happened in other games. I care that it's so rampant and in your face now in THIS game. And I want to know what is being done about it because from where I sit it looks like a big fat nothing and Zos owes their customers some sort of explanation of an action plan to rectify this.
    Edited by God_flakes on June 1, 2016 6:54PM
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    God_flakes wrote: »
    To the cheating apologists: stop putting lipstick on the pig. Stop trying to mitigate this. Stop minimizing it. Idgaf that this has happened in other games. I care that it's so rampant and in your face now in THIS game. And I want to know what is being done about it because from where I sit it looks like a big fat nothing and Zos owes their customers some sort of explanation of an action plan to rectify this.

I'm with you on the indignation and anger, but really ZOS owes us something? ZOS don't owe us ***.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • God_flakes
    God_flakes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously? They owe us nothing? Not even an explanation? Why are they unbanning KNOWN cheaters? People that actual video was sent in of them?! This is absurd and it gets worse by the day.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All I'm saying is that recent revelations alone do not prove that anyone in particular is a cheater. I estimate 99.99% of accusations of cheating I've observed are completely baseless. Now and before.

Too many people are using this controversy as an excuse to justify losing.

The reason cheating is bad is because it's unfair to other players. So are baseless accusations. By making them, one becomes as bad as an actual cheater.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously? They owe us nothing? Not even an explanation? Why are they unbanning KNOWN cheaters? People that actual video was sent in of them?! This is absurd and it gets worse by the day.

Yeah sir/madam,

They unequivocally owe us nothing. It would more than likely be a bad business decision to keep this going status quo, sure, but they don't actually owe us a damn thing.

It seems like semantics, but is an important distinction. What they should do as best practice to keep their customers happy and their obligation to their customers are not the same thing.
  • God_flakes
    God_flakes
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All I'm saying is that recent revelations alone do not prove that anyone in particular is a cheater. I estimate 99.99% of accusations of cheating I've observed are completely baseless. Now and before.

Too many people are using this controversy as an excuse to justify losing.

The reason cheating is bad is because it's unfair to other players. So are baseless accusations. By making them, one becomes as bad as an actual cheater.

You have your anecdotal evidence and I have mine. Wanna see the screenshot I have that lists some of the banned people and those who are known to use the CE and have yet to be caught? You've had your experiences in game and I've had mine. We all win at times and we all lose at times. It isn't as simple as "the people complaining are the people who are losing" so enough with that garbage. Here we have a top DC streamer helping out this and sharing his concerns about it being used in subtle ways to give guilds and players a winning edge and people like you are going to continue to deny and minimize? Please. Spare me. We are well beyond that. We are beyond speculation. I think human nature being what it is we can safely assume a LOT of players are and have been using this very, very easy engine.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Two steps forward , three steps back if true . Although I expected this scenario as well . The company has said in a round about way , they need to and will address this issue publicly . An YEAH ! Anyone that's ever owned a business knows they need to lol . The quicker the better and the stronger the stance the better . Let's hope we get the solution that works here and not some diluted down nonsense .
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A difference between you and I is that I've long known this was happening to some degree. I chose to play anyway.

If you choose to continue to play, you cannot use the existence of cheats as a license to accuse anyone you like.

Few people have expressed more outrage at ZOS polices over the past six months than I have. This isn't about ZOS. It's about our integrity as a community.

Good ethics don't only mean that one doesn't cheat. They also mean that you don't accuse anyone of cheating without solid proof.

There is great ignorance about ESO's mechanics. The game is poorly documented by ZOS. The players who have taken the time to learn legal mechanics can appear to be cheating by those who have not. The former represents a minority and the latter a majority.

Yes, the probability is that many well-known players have cheated. However, that does not mean 1vX_player00 cheated.
    Edited by zyk on June 1, 2016 7:35PM
  • Crispen_Longbow
    Crispen_Longbow
    ✭✭✭✭✭

AFAIK there is no game that has no-one cheating. Every game I personally have ever been involved with has had at some point a cheating scandal

Maybe a common denominator of those games was the above section in bold. Couldn't resist, you walked right into that one.
    Crispen Longbow - Daggerfall Covenant (DC): NB - Rank:50 (NA/PC) - RIP (Blue VE, Khole, LoM, MO)
    Crispen Longboww - Aldmeri Dominion (AD): NB - Rank:50 (NA/PC) - Crispen's House of Pain RIP (KP, Yellow VE, Omni)
    Crispen Longbow-EP - Ebonheart Pact (EP): NB - Rank:50 (NA/PC) - RIP (Red VE)
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The paranoia is [snippty snip thick around here ! I'd like to encourage my fellow gamers to take a moment to visit your local watering hole , play hackysack , congregate in a smokey dorm room or just go outside an attempt a few minutes with the evil sun . What ever you younger people do these days besides game . Before everyone turns on each other like a bunch of rats in a bad episode of the The Shield .

Ya'll need a little time away from ESOGATE .
  • God_flakes
    God_flakes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A difference between you and I is that I've long known this was happening to some degree. I chose to play anyway.

If you choose to continue to play, you cannot use the existence of cheats as a license to accuse anyone you like.

Few people have expressed more outrage at ZOS polices over the past six months than I have. This isn't about ZOS. It's about our integrity as a community.

Good ethics don't only mean that one doesn't cheat. They also mean that you don't accuse anyone of cheating without solid proof.

There is great ignorance about ESO's mechanics. The game is poorly documented by ZOS. The players who have taken the time to learn legal mechanics can appear to be cheating by those who have not. The former represents a minority and the latter a majority.

Yes, the probability is that many well-known players have cheated. However, that does not mean 1vX_player00 cheated.

Sorry, you're wrong again. I've been one of the more vocal ones about this, I simply didn't know exactly how it was happening and to what extent.

And shut up with your useless and petty lectures. I'm not accusing anyone specifically. I am sitting here on information that someone who comments here a LOT is using this cheat engine and I'm deliberately refraining from outting them. I can be patient. The opp will present itself.

I think a lot of people are waiting to see what Zos does about this. Because if they keep unbanning cheaters and letting them ruin the game for the rest of us...I can see a lot of people getting this little toy and getting some payback.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe a common denominator of those games was the above section in bold. Couldn't resist, you walked right into that one.

Lol well I did preface that with the As Far As I Know, also how could I speak on something I have not been personally a part of? Isn't that exactly what a lot of these cheating cries are about? Hearsay, conjecture and subterfuge?

That's not my bag, baby.
  • God_flakes
    God_flakes
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol well I did preface that with the As Far As I Know, also how could I speak on something I have not been personally a part of? Isn't that exactly what a lot of these cheating cries are about? Hearsay, conjecture and subterfuge?

That's not my bag, baby.

Except we now know with 100% CERTAINTY there is cheating going on!!!!!! It isn't baseless conjecture anymore. Come on nah. Just knock it off.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not my bag, baby.

I largely agree with you. But I think there are windows in some games when cheats aren't prevalent. A completely cheat-free game is next to impossible. In addition to memory hacking, cheaters can target:

- APIs
    - Drivers
    - GPUs
    - Art assets
    - I/O
    - Network activity
    - and more..

Which is why a solution like VAC has been the winning strategy.

Ban humans.