Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Caldwell Silver/Gold vs A new character

catcher51
catcher51
As I near completion of my EP character, I've decided that I definitely want to experience the other two faction storylines. However, I can't decide whether to do it as my current guy (improving him even more) or just start a new character (giving more variety to Pvp and getting to do a new playstyle.) obviously I could do both eventually, and might, but I usually don't have that much time regularly, so at least for now I'll have to pick one. So what does everyone think? Which did you do and did you enjoy it? If you have done both which was more enjoyable? Thanks so much for any help.
EP Dunmer DK Dual Wield - Allamus

"In war there is no prize for the runner-up."
— General Omar Bradley
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Playing as a Vet in silver and gold will give you CPs that you can use on any alt.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    With the up comming changes from DB patch you will probably get more out of your time to fully get your CP up right now.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thinking was to level one character to VR 16 before DB and let my other VR characters rest. With DB, all of myour Veteran alts will be fully leveled.

However, I may have made a mistake in this. If I want to do Cadwell on my other Alliance alts, I think I am S.O.L. I will be immediately over level in all the Cadwell zones that I have not done.

This makes everything from CP 10 to CP 120 a dead zone for me. Brilliant, ZOS!

I expect this will ripple through the crafting levels, too, as many materials will become "flyover territory" for many players because alts will not need CP 10 through CP 140 gear.

Edited by Elsonso on May 14, 2016 3:28PM
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering how things are, those materials are already flyover territory, v16's who create new chars often don't bother changing gear too often, because the content is easy and we just grind through those levels, only completing the quests that open maps and gives skillpoints and advances skill-lines.

I think I did normal and veteran DSA with my friends, who joined with their v12 chars in v1 gear several times. When I was levelling my sorc, I wore v1 gear untill v8 where I switched to stamina gear, to level up dual wield.. >.< oh and I didn't even bother assigning my champion points. One of my non-veteran chars don't even have armor glyphs, because I can manage well without, and I cba to go to enchanter vendor and get lowbie glyphs.

Honestly I wish they would just remove over half of them. It's a huge clutter where only the raw materials get sold through guild traders, the refined materials are garage sale junk.. and lowbies who wish to do group dungeons, pvp or quest in battlescaled zones have to bother updating their gear regulary.
  • AntMan100673
    AntMan100673
    ✭✭✭
    I decided to do silver and gold rather than start new characters in the other alliances. You're going to want to get as many cp's as possible for pvp so do silver and gold as a vet character would be my recommendation. The only downside is I've also done the wrothgar and thieves guild dlc so even though I'm only as far as grahtwood (the 2nd area in gold for my EP character) I'm already vet16 with 310ish cp's and it's a cake walk so if you want it to be a bit more challenging either start a new character or at least don't do the dlc's before silver and gold. If you just want to experience the story then it doesn't matter
    EU - EP - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Magicka DPS - CP160

GT: AntMan100673
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @AntMan100673 doing silver and gold helps with the immersion of the game a bit, but more importantly, you will get a ton of skillpoints for clearing out the content. Of course you can skip teh sidequests and focus on pioking up the skyshards + doing the faction main quests, however you might as well pick up the quests since you walk around :p
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering how things are, those materials are already flyover territory, v16's who create new chars often don't bother changing gear too often, because the content is easy and we just grind through those levels, only completing the quests that open maps and gives skillpoints and advances skill-lines.

Today, not everyone zooms through VR 1 - VR 15 using the Wrothgar XP farms. This means there are people out there, and a sizable number, who level more normally through those levels.

Come DB, the Champion System gives no choice in leveling, and from what I understand, a lesser reward for doing Cadwell on alts.

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lordrichter I was talking about players who already have a v16 char, and level up new ones.

From what I've seen, most players do go through Silver & Gold with their main characters. It's when they create new chars they skip all sidequests and only focus on Cadwells Almanac to gain skillpoints. I have met a few who did all sidequests with their new alts, however that's like 1/25... and even fewer who never quested :p

The reward for doing Silver & Gold is skillpoints + xp, not much xp but enough to level up skills.
    - For instance I wanted to level up Dual Wield on my magicka based sorcerer, and since I was alone + lacked decent spamable AoE skill from my class lines, I had these two choices:
    1. Quest to gain xp
    2. Switch to Stamina Build to grind and gain xp

• catcher51
    catcher51
    So the gist of what I'm hearing is it is simply much more beneficial (esp with the champion system coming soon) to do cadwell now and then play an alt somewhere down the road, enjoying the cpive already accumulated. Anything else I should note?
    EP Dunmer DK Dual Wield - Allamus

"In war there is no prize for the runner-up."
    — General Omar Bradley