Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The best way to get a mount?

Vael19
Vael19
Soul Shriven
Hi there I am a new player and I was looking at how to best get a mount in the game! I see many low level players on horses, yet no idea how they managed to get them that early. The base price for a horse seems to be 10.000 gold pieces from stables, so I was just wondering, is there a quest or anything that help you get a mount or is buying it the only way?

Also, I am not bothered if buying is the only way, I have a few thousand gold saved up already but as stated, if there is an easier way, I'd like to know!

Thanks in advance.
  • Panth141
    Panth141
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The easiest way?

Buy one on the Crown Store
    PS4 EU - Panth141 | CP 630+
    Dominion
    Almalexia's Fallen - Magicka Dragonknight - PvE Main
    Lost Hope of Sotha Sil - Magicka Dragonknight - PvP Main
    Claws-in-pockets - Stamina Nightblade - PvE/P DPS
    Nocturnal's Guise - Magicka Nightblade - PvE DPS
    Udun - Magicka Templar - PvP Healer
    Onsi's Shattered Blade - Stamina Sorcerer - Dungeon/vMA Farmer
    Stands-like-Mountains - Magicka Nightblade - PvE Saptank
    Auri-El's Forgotten Light - Magicka Sorcerer - PvP DPS

Covenant
    Tharkün - Magicka Sorcerer - PvE DPS
    Rahai-Anaa - Stamina Dragonknight - Provisioner (lol)

Pact
    Perolis - Magicka Sorcerer - Enchanter/Alchemist/BwB PvP

• Vael19
    Vael19
    Soul Shriven
    Haha, I prefer playing the game to earn something, but thanks. ;)
  • RandalMarrs
    RandalMarrs
    ✭✭✭
    That's your choice, cough up 10k or purchase in the crown store.
  • JuZ
    JuZ
    ✭✭
    All your mounts are accessible by all your characters so if someone has a 2nd or 3rd character they have access straight away at level 3 to everything.

Do a few quests, use the gear that's dropped to save money and pretty quickly you'll get enough gold to buy a 10k horse.
  • AntMan100673
    AntMan100673
    ✭✭✭
    ^this

A lot of those low level characters are probably alts for higher level players.

Or they could be genuine low level players that have been given gold by higher level players
    EU - EP - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Magicka DPS - CP160

GT: AntMan100673
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    10k you can do easily doing quests and selling all loot
  • AlphaCrucis
    AlphaCrucis
    ✭✭✭
    I got my horse with the Adventures pack when i purchased the game, so had it from the get go
    Australian, Aldmeri Dominion
    Altmer, Dragonknight (mag), Damage Dealer
    Brenton, Templar, Healer
    Bosmer, Nightblade (stam), Damage Dealer, PvP
    PS4, NA Server
    Guild Member Of: Brotherhood of Bogans
  • THBronx
    THBronx
    ✭✭✭
    Vael19 wrote: »
    Hi there I am a new player and I was looking at how to best get a mount in the game! I see many low level players on horses, yet no idea how they managed to get them that early. The base price for a horse seems to be 10.000 gold pieces from stables, so I was just wondering, is there a quest or anything that help you get a mount or is buying it the only way?

Also, I am not bothered if buying is the only way, I have a few thousand gold saved up already but as stated, if there is an easier way, I'd like to know!

Thanks in advance.

Yeah 10k or Crown Store, i'd say go for 10k, it's easy to make that money later. For now, just keep saving money, don't ever buy gears from npc vendors bcoz it's all overpriced, just use the gear you drop from mobs and that's it!
    Hadamanthys
    Templar of Ebonheart Pact.
    NA Server.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got my horse with the Adventures pack when i purchased the game, so had it from the get go
    The Adventurer's Pack doesn't come with a mount. Perhaps you're thinking of the white horse from the Imperial Edition?
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hijacking this thread-

What pets and costumes are accessible to new players who prefer not to use the crown store yet? There is a dwarven spider pet in a daggerfall covenant group dungeon and some costume rewards for vet ranks? Anything else?
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jim_Pipp

If you go to your collectables screen I believe it actually shows you what items you can earn in game without the store.

From the top of my head it's the following:

Dwarven Spider
    Scamp (Imperial City Expansion Sewers central event)
    Horver (Imperial City Expansion group dungeons achievement)
    One pet for loyalty reward for purchasing each expansion and going to that zone.

@Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Vael19
    Vael19
    Soul Shriven
    Hey all

Thanks for the responses. I did not realise horses share between characters, that's awesome. Also thanks for the tips about selling gear you find and never buying armour from NPCs! :smile: I will just save up the 10k gold then, since it's not that much. :wink:

Happy gaming
    Vael
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Haha, I prefer playing the game to earn something, but thanks. ;)

If you buy one at a stable ingame they cost 42000 gold.If you upgrade to Imperial Edition,you get the white horse for 1 gold.
    If you buy them ingame,you'll have to purchase crowns with real money.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JuZ wrote: »
    All your mounts are accessible by all your characters so if someone has a 2nd or 3rd character they have access straight away at level 3 to everything.

Do a few quests, use the gear that's dropped to save money and pretty quickly you'll get enough gold to buy a 10k horse.

What horse is only 10k? I paid 42000 for my black horse.
  • Vael19
    Vael19
    Soul Shriven
    Volkodav, there is a 10.000 gold piece horse for sale in the stables too. Also, I already have half the gold for that one right now. :smile:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Sorrel_Horse
  • CherryCake
    CherryCake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Vael19 did you manage to do it? Do you have Orsinium? Because there is a good place to steal things, also by grinding if you wish. Are you on PS4 EU? Because if so I would be happy to give you those 10.000. No tricks or anything, but I remember when I didnt have a horse or knew how to make any money in game and it was a real pain running in Cyrodill after my team and getting killed by pesty nightblades ;__;
    I like sweetrolls and I cannot lie
  • Vael19
    Vael19
    Soul Shriven
    @Vael19 did you manage to do it? Do you have Orsinium? Because there is a good place to steal things, also by grinding if you wish. Are you on PS4 EU? Because if so I would be happy to give you those 10.000. No tricks or anything, but I remember when I didnt have a horse or knew how to make any money in game and it was a real pain running in Cyrodill after my team and getting killed by pesty nightblades ;__;

Hey Estelio! I didn't farm for it so not at 10k yet but I'm getting there. I have been entertaining myself stealing items and slipping past guards to sell them, which gives a reliable amount of coin. Didn't dip into PvP yet but I happen to be a nightblade myself. :p Also, I am on PC EU, so I don't guess I can accept your money, sadly! ;) Thanks for the offer though.
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭

Thanks in advance.

Join a trading guild and sell alchemy reagents you can make quite a bit.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Volkodav wrote: »

What horse is only 10k? I paid 42000 for my black horse.

The brown horse is 10k.
  • AnnieBeGood
    AnnieBeGood
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even if you get a horse - you run faster at first. So every day go to the stable and buy a speed lesson for 250g. Full speed takes 60 days.
    By the time you can afford the horse, you will at least move faster than you can run.
    Gulrosa V160 Templar -healer and master crafter
    Annie Spaceshifter V160 magica NB - just a thieving assassin, now retired
    Katerina - 'Daedric Annie' - V160 Stamina DK - now bank alt, wardrobe mistress
    Anni Bee - Vet 160Templar - pvp magica templar - Daedric Lord Slayer
    Lily Malone - stam sorc - pve goddess
    Rey of Jakku Plain - Vet 160 - magica templar dd
    Savanna - magica warden, still learning to play
    and several babies...... learning to ride
    EU server, pc and All for the Pact
    Alith, the best guild in the EU
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steal and fence.

The gold you earn from quests, kills, vendoring lootables, etc. all scale to your level. In other words, you'll only get pocket change at low levels. Those activities don't become lucrative until much later.

Stolen goods, however, are the same value at all levels (though it does scale a little, in that you have a higher chance of looting more valuable items from later zones), so at low levels, theft is by far the best way to make gold. (Though at high levels, it's not that good.)
    Edited by code65536 on May 24, 2016 9:30PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quick summary of options:

Gold:
    Brown horse for 10,000g
    Other colours for 42,000g

(Contrary to what some out of date websites will say all these horses have exactly the same stats and can be trained to exactly the same level as any other mount.)

Imperial Edition
    If you buy the Imperial Edition (either the boxed version, the digital version or the crown store upgrade) you will have instant access to a white horse. You used to have to buy it from the stables for 1g, but now it will simply be unlocked in your collections when you create your first character (or when you buy the upgrade).

Crown Store
    This is the only way to get mounts which are not horses. Which mounts are on offer changes regularly and prices vary between mounts. If I remember correctly the cheapest are 900 crowns.

Which is best?
    That's up to you. Buying one with gold is just a matter of time, whereas the others will cost real money. But if you want one immediately, want something other than the 4 horses sold for gold or if you're subscribing or buying the Imperial Edition anyway then another option may be better.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Thanks in advance.

@vael19 When the game started the only 'special' horse was the Imperial Horse that came with the Imperial version of the game (also had Imperial as an optional race and some other knicknacks). All of that being said, the fastest horses, the horses with the best stamina, and the horse with the best carrying capacity (they were all separate back then) had to be purchased at 32,727 gold or something like that. I actually purchased those horses back then. The game has changed a bit since then but 10,000 gold isn't as bad as it would seem and its well within your capacity to earn. You can defer your crafting skills and sell white quality junk that has no traits. Everything with traits or green+ is worth breaking down though. If you're lazy you can sell all of that stuff too though. Sell blue motifs on trader guilds (join one if you need money). Purple motifs you might want to hold onto, particularly if you like the motif and want to craft it later. The same can be said of recipes for provisioning. Sell sell sell. It all quickly adds up.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Volkodav, there is a 10.000 gold piece horse for sale in the stables too. Also, I already have half the gold for that one right now. :smile:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Sorrel_Horse

Are you on Pc? AD?
    I might be able to help you out with that. :)
  • Meier
    Meier

Yeah good idea, but you need repair and charge items, and it spend money in all characters, if you not repair can't use the items properly and mobs kick you.
    "The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish......
    Soldiers! don’t give yourselves to brutes - men who despise you - enslave you - who regiment your lives - tell you what to do - what to think and what to feel! Who drill you - diet you - treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder. Don’t give yourselves to these unnatural men - machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts! You don’t hate! Only the unloved hate - the unloved and the unnatural! Soldiers! Don’t fight for slavery! Fight for liberty!
    In the 17th Chapter of St Luke it is written: “the Kingdom of God is within man” - not one man nor a group of men, but in all men! In you! You, the people have the power - the power to create machines. The power to create happiness! You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure.
    Then - in the name of democracy - let us use that power - let us all unite. Let us fight for a new world - a decent world that will give men a chance to work - that will give youth a future and old age a security. By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power. But they lie! They do not fulfil that promise. They never will!
    Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people! Now let us fight to fulfil that promise! Let us fight to free the world - to do away with national barriers - to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men’s happiness. Soldiers! in the name of democracy, let us all unite!"
  • imapogostick
    imapogostick
    ✭✭
    I've seen a lot of people give money to players without horses who just start up in pvp so maybe pvp a little and people will throw you a couple k
  • GivvumBoane
    GivvumBoane
    ✭✭✭✭
    Buy the cheapest one. They are all the same except for cosmetic differences
    All hail the prophet that is Mike Judge, for his Idiocracy prophecy is near fruition.