The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Nirn-Sux

RocDonald
RocDonald
✭✭✭
Farming for this stuff is grueling. You'd think the 28 day research time would be bad enough, now I gotta farm for three hours to get one trait material.? Like, I've heard that writs are where it's at (or Craglorn surveys) but I kinda need to keep my crafting maxed out. Which brings me to my other point. Shouldn't a master crafter have better access to these materials? By that I mean the writs in Wrothgar or hirelings (seriously, if my blacksmith hireling brings back 3 lousy rubedite ore again he's gonna be outta a job).

I realize that many players have already done the grind and will probably troll this post mercilessly and I don't blame them. But still, imho, I think once you max out your crafting the potential drop rate of Nirncrux should increase. Or another possible solution, make 10/10 in crafting (blacksmith, clothier and woodworker) a morph, at least it wouldn't cost 14k to respect all of my sp's then.
  • nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are not inclined to farm it yourself use gold to buy it instead. As for researching nirnhoned at the end of your list that is your mistake for choosing well-fitted, sturdy, weighted, charged, powered, etc.. over it. One other thing, I have two nine trait crafters and learned early on to split the work load until they over lap in researched traits. For example with clothing I split medium and cloth between the two alts. With wood working I divided three staves to one and 2 staves and shields to the other. On metal I obviously split armor and weapons.
    I didn't choose tank life, tank life chose me.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nirn should drop where ever the highest materials drops. But, there is a Lore related reason why it's Craglorn. So, what to do about that and Writs with the Surveys is a quandary. ZOS has mentioned making the material drop in other places, but we have heard nothing beyond they are looking into it. Also, Nirn is really only good on weapons, although there can be some benefit to having it on some armor, depending on your build.

As for the time to Farm, there have been times up there where I have found 3 Nirns in 10 minutes, and times where I gave up after about 30 minutes (I have no patience for extended farming, and my Nirn needs are taken care of)

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    I buy the stuff! I have neither patience nor time to pick up every flower and rock in Craglorn on the off chance some one left some nirn there. Sure I found a couple by happenstance - but not once ever when looking for it. Go figure. I look for a good"ish" deal through a trader and then give it to a benevlolent guildie to make me some gear to research. And the world turns.
    Celebrate for life is short but sweet for certain.
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to farm it on weekends for 4-5 hours straigth. The grind is for everyone!
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to find a single weapon or armor with nirnhoned, I have two chars farming the group delves and whatever humanoids they can take out in the outdoors, but I haven't seen anything with it. I have plenty of the trait crafting material however. I'm kind of in the same boat, I have everything at 8/9 with only nirnhoned missing so yeah once I do get it the research time is going to be insane.

Edited by phaneub17_ESO on April 25, 2016 8:29PM
  • MasterGohan
    MasterGohan
    ✭✭
    Ah the nirncrux farm... I purposely didn't get Orsinium so that my highest level writs are dropped off in Craglorn. That way I can keep 10/10 in everything and still get the good surveys. I farm Craglorn daily just to get enough material for the day's writs but I usually get a nirncrux a day. Some days are better than other. I didn't get one today but I got 3 potents and 2 fortified yesterday.
  • saxgooner
    saxgooner
    ✭✭✭
    Now I have crafted my final gear, i respec and only put it to level 9 in clothing, blacksmithing and woodworking, I now get surveys in craglorn and everywhere I go I collect nightwood etc to get nirn
  • TheRealMcKoy
    TheRealMcKoy
    ✭✭
    I have gotten nirncrux from the wood, metal, and clothing nodes (and I think I got one once from an alchemy weed) and just this weekend I got one from killing a Duneracer in the overland. First time I have ever received one from a mob.

As for the research time...I feel ya. 52 days to research one nirnhoned item since I have already researched everything else. Ugh!
  • RocDonald
    RocDonald
    ✭✭✭
    Ah the nirncrux farm... I purposely didn't get Orsinium so that my highest level writs are dropped off in Craglorn. That way I can keep 10/10 in everything and still get the good surveys. I farm Craglorn daily just to get enough material for the day's writs but I usually get a nirncrux a day. Some days are better than other. I didn't get one today but I got 3 potents and 2 fortified yesterday.
    Really?! So guess I'll just let my sub run out for a while heh heh. Sorry, ZOS ;)

• disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I deliberately reset my skills on one of my vets to deliver goods to Craglorn. I think the Craglorn provisioning surveys are my best bet for getting nirncrux (and even kuta) without hours and hours of grinding. I have only got one potent while I have about 5 fortified though, figure they must be harder to come by.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to find a single weapon or armor with nirnhoned, I have two chars farming the group delves and whatever humanoids they can take out in the outdoors, but I haven't seen anything with it. I have plenty of the trait crafting material however. I'm kind of in the same boat, I have everything at 8/9 with only nirnhoned missing so yeah once I do get it the research time is going to be insane.

Um, there are only two ways to get a nirnhoned item in this game:
    1. Complete the main Craglorn story quest and receive one random nirnhoned item for research.
    2. Crafted by a player.

So you'll get one research item from doing the Craglorn story quest. All other research items must come from other players. Either you farm the nirncrux and give it to a friend or guildie or someone and have them craft an item for you, or you just buy an item from a player.

When nirnhoned was first introduced, people got their one random trait, and then got the other research traits by trading with other players--it was a social game, like trading collectible cards. These days, there are lots of players who know all the nirn traits, so you just contact them and give them the nirncrux or gold and they make a research trait for you.

Now, this will be changing with the Dark Brotherhood update, where there will now be a chance of getting nirnhoned item drops from certain rewards (like leaderboard rewards or the final vMA chest). But until DB is released, nirn research requires interaction with another player. Which fits in with the whole theme of Craglorn being end-game multiplayer/group content.
    Edited by code65536 on April 28, 2016 4:36AM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday I found 2 pcs. fortified nirncrux in some random urns inside Night Mother Gaze set crafting cave (Eldbjorg's Hideaway) in vet. Riften. I didn't complete any writs on this alt.
    I wonder if this was just huge luck or it's somehow normal to find nirncrux there...
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gargath wrote: »
    Yesterday I found 2 pcs. fortified nirncrux in some random urns inside Night Mother Gaze set crafting cave (Eldbjorg's Hideaway) in vet. Riften. I didn't complete any writs on this alt.
    I wonder if this was just huge luck or it's somehow normal to find nirncrux there...
    There is a very, VERY small chance nirncrux drops where other trait stones could drop. Was it urn or perhaps heavy sack?
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Bofrari
    Bofrari
    ✭✭✭
    You know why they nerfed this right because its not part of any dlc and they think it's too good for free they couldn't make any money off of it so they decided to completely destroy it.
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    There is a very, VERY small chance nirncrux drops where other trait stones could drop. Was it urn or perhaps heavy sack?
    Definitely the urns, I've never seen a heavy sack inside crafting stations btw.
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I find this very hard to believe. This is the first report I have ever seen of nirncrux dropping outside of Craglorn, and frankly without some screenshot or hard evidence, I have a hard time to believe it. Nirn is exclusive to Craglorn. If this is really true, it is an anomaly. Nirn can, very rarely, drop in heavy sacks, but again, I've never seen reports of it from any other container. It can only come from crafting mat nodes, so that is ore, wood, cloth, and yes, mobs that drop shadowhide. There have been reports of nirn from alchemy plants, but they have all been false or confused due to loot add-ons or lag spikes.

Regarding OP, we all face feast or famine while farming nirn, been that way from day one. Many of us have a crafter at 10/10 to get level 10 mats, and another at 9/10 to get the Craglorn writs. If you only have one character, you'll have some hard choices to make.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Believe it or not, but it's a fact and truth. I have no reason to brag myself about my super luck. Both nirncrux are already sold, so best will be to forget about this anomaly and do not add it to the list of reported places ;).
  • Mysticman
    Mysticman
    ✭✭✭
    With the changing coming to with DB to Nirmcrux the damand for Potent Nirmcrux will drop dramatically, the trails that will now give you the most damage is Sharpened if you put 66 cp points in Elfborn if not then Precise is better.
    Edited by Mysticman on April 29, 2016 7:33PM
  • Mike0987
    Mike0987
    ✭✭✭
    You wont find a weapon or armour with it on. The only place you can get such an item is finishing the Craglorn main quest, as the final quest reward. (one per character)

• KingWhyteboi
    KingWhyteboi
    ✭✭✭
    nordsavage wrote: »
    If you are not inclined to farm it yourself use gold to buy it instead. As for researching nirnhoned at the end of your list that is your mistake for choosing well-fitted, sturdy, weighted, charged, powered, etc.. over it. One other thing, I have two nine trait crafters and learned early on to split the work load until they over lap in researched traits. For example with clothing I split medium and cloth between the two alts. With wood working I divided three staves to one and 2 staves and shields to the other. On metal I obviously split armor and weapons.

ive done the same now that good looking motifs are out its suck if you need to buy it for 2 toons im almost done converting it to my main thank god
    v16 dark elf temp
    v16 imperial nb
    v16 khajiit nb
    v16 imperial dk
    v16 high elf sorc
    v16 breton temp
    v16 high elf nb
    v16 dark elf dk
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why is potent so hard to come by? I have farmed about 9 Fortified but only ever found 1 Potent.

I have two characters doing all Craglorn writs (except provisioning) and another doing the Craglorn Enchanting writ. Yesterday I did 6 different Craglorn survey maps (and one of them twice as I had 2 maps) for the return of 1 Fortified. Considering you do not get a map every time you turn in a writ, there is not a lot of reward for your efforts.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that most of the problems people have with nirncrux drop rates are RNG, not any change in the drop rate.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree with that ^^, but don't get me wrong, the drop rate is horrible. It's just that the RNG is worse!

I have 8 characters that all do daily writs and have the same hirelings. 2 of the 8 consistently get better stuff in every regard. I thought it would eventually even out, but since launch it has not varied for those 2 getting better results.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • RocDonald
    RocDonald
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, yeah my blacksmith hireling consistently brings back a lousy 3 pieces of rubedite ore. I swear, he would be so fired if I could lol. About 1 in 4 (maybe 1 in 3) he actually brings back some tempers n stuff.
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP I think I did a survey once, when it came out...

Never done it again and I don't care for it, if I need Nirn I buy it.

Gold is acquired easily enough
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just thought I'd revisit this thread as I think I hit the jackpot last night. I spent about 45 minutes or so clearing my Craglorn survey maps. Think I did just about every survey map in Craglorn and with harvesting anything else I saw while reaching them I managed to collect 2 Fortified and 2 Potents. It was like being a kid on Christmas morning!!!

I will probably go a month without anything now.....
  • Aquanova
    Aquanova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mysticman wrote: »
    With the changing coming to with DB to Nirmcrux the damand for Potent Nirmcrux will drop dramatically, the trails that will now give you the most damage is Sharpened if you put 66 cp points in Elfborn if not then Precise is better.

I don't think you even have to go as far as putting the 66 points into elf born for sharpened to be better than Nirn. I tested both traits on the pts with 31 points into elf born and consistently did higher damage with the sharpened trait.

I hope ZOS does something special to Potent Nirmcrux. It makes no sense that the rarest trait is now mediocre.
    NA/PC
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    Just thought I'd revisit this thread as I think I hit the jackpot last night. I spent about 45 minutes or so clearing my Craglorn survey maps. Think I did just about every survey map in Craglorn and with harvesting anything else I saw while reaching them I managed to collect 2 Fortified and 2 Potents. It was like being a kid on Christmas morning!!!

I will probably go a month without anything now.....

That is random for you. Most of the people who want the RNG "fixed" are really asking that it be removed and replaced with something else.

I don't think we will be seeing any change on that front for a good long time.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Celestial_Rift
    Celestial_Rift
    ✭✭✭
    I farmed extensively as a stress reliever after work as the mindlessness of the activity was relaxing, and was looking more for the raw materials than nirn. After a couple of weeks, I ended up with 19 potents and 40 fortifieds, selling quite a few in my trading guild. I would have some incredibly good runs and some with nothing. At the end of the day, I see it more as a way to build up mats for refinement and the nirn is just a nice parting gift. It can be frustrating, as it took me 3 days of farming before I actually found any (I started questioning if I was needing a quest completed)... but it is there. I have yet to receive any from farming mobs, urns, etc. All were from wood, cloth, and ore nodes.
    Fyresnash
    Deep-in-Thots - Trash Healer
  • mdylan2013
    mdylan2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I complete the crafting writs on 8 alts. I only have my main crafter as a 10/10 delivering to Wrothgar. The other 7 all go to Craglorn. I get a potent nirn on average everyday and a coupe of fortified a day, just from the surveys and a little bit of farming.

I do however use up a lot of materials.
    PS4/EU
    CP-1300+
    PSN - LookoutLuke
    15 Max level toons
    PVE/PVP