Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Consistent Crashing

• duncan_cougarpreeb18_ESO
    some improvements (no longer a guaranteed crash when picking up a node), but still consistently crashes when taking a screenshot with skill window etc. open

So is this ready for live? Not by a long shot!
  • tfraley
    tfraley
    tfraley wrote: »
    BUMP?

Crashing is ridiculous, I would say 6 times an hour in Cyridel..

Any thoughts.

Working with customer support, it is really dragging out and nothing concrete yet, but will keep you guys posted on any findings.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey all, I've updated my 2.3.5 64-bit client FAQ with a possible fix for the frequent client crashes and pink textures (section 4); it was suggested by Chris, so please give it a try and report how it works out for you.
  • LaucianNailor
    LaucianNailor
    ✭✭✭
    Hey all, I've updated my 2.3.5 64-bit client FAQ with a possible fix for the frequent client crashes and pink textures (section 4); it was suggested by Chris, so please give it a try and report how it works out for you.

This update (I had a PM from Chris to try it too) has worked for me, so is looking very positive.

Mac/PC EU Server

Lots of alts....561+ CP
    Inside Trade Guild
  • steveops
    steveops
    Soul Shriven

this worked for me, thank you.
  • bitsquare
    bitsquare
    ✭✭
    I've got the same system as the OP.

Game crashes when just standing around, doing nothing.

Glowing pink animals everywhere.

I've tried launching the game through Terminal using the steps provided by @KhajitFurTrader but without success.
  • duncan_cougarpreeb18_ESO
    Have you tried a repair? If not please try. Looks like you got some corrupted / missing shades from those crashes before
    That approach and disabling auto loot (at least at the start of the game) helped this one at least
  • SlayerSyrena
    SlayerSyrena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried a repair but the game is running even worse today. I'm running on low graphics but I cannot walk ten steps without a pause. I thought it was just because I was in Deshaan but it's running this bad in Bal Foyen as well.

In Cyrodiil I cannot play Imp City without crashing 2-3 times an hour.

Really crossing my fingers for a fix. I love this game.
    Ebonheart Pact
    All PC/NA, Level 50 * Current Champion Points: 930
    Cyndril - Bosmer Vampire Nightblade - Dual Wield Blades and Bow
    Saryn Duskbringer - Altmer Vampire Sorcerer - Destro and Resto Staves
    Valmion Hlaalu - Dunmer Templar Healer - Resto and Destroy Staves
    Solus Lighthawke - Altmer DK Tank- Sword n' Board and Greatsword
    Stitches-for-Riches - Argonian Templar Healer- Resto
    Ashiran Zahuluu - Dunmer Stam Sorc - Dual Wield Blades and Bow
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Kivian Nightshade - Altmer Magicka NB - Destro/Resto Staves
    Daggerfall Covenant
    S'rala Sugar Claws - Khajiit Stamina Sorc - Dual Wield and Greatsword

Member of the closed early beta group, The Psijic Order
    Guest on first ESO Live
    My ESO fan art and comics
  • Samwell Slayer
    Samwell Slayer
    ✭✭✭
    bitsquare wrote: »

I've tried launching the game through Terminal using the steps provided by @KhajitFurTrader but without success.

Same exact problems. Haven't played in the past week because of it.
    PC/Mac NA server. Cast, in order of appearance (got one of everything):

Samwell Slayer Stam NB AD Stormproof
    Samantha Tarly Stam Sorc DC FC
    The Sawmell Tarly Tank DK EP Stormproof
    Tamwell Sarly Mgk Temp AD FC
    Covenant Blues Mgk DK EP Stormproof
    Samwell Tardy Mgk Sorc AD FC
    Stam Tarly Stam Temp AD Stormproof
    Samwelf Tarly Mgk NB DC FC
    Stamwell Tarly Stam DK DC FC
    Maester Samwell Heal Temp DC
    Samara Tarly Tank NB EP
    Sam Mfing Tarly Mule Sorc EP
    Warden of HTarly. Mgk. Ward AD FC
    Lord Tarly Stam Ward. DC. Still lowbie
  • bitsquare
    bitsquare
    ✭✭

The latest patch seems to have improved the crashing, but graphics issues still abound. Still getting pink animals and features, in addition to bootscreen (Zenimax animation) errors.

Moreover, I am having issues with my addons failing to load properly, in spite of the fact that I am running the latest (not outdated) addons and have deleted and reinstalled them from scratch. These addons are: Advanced UI, Awesome Guild Store, Harvest Map, Lore Books, Master Merchant, SkyShards.

As noted above, I already repaired and reinstalled the game from scratch after the previous patch.

I don't think it is too much to ask that I don't have to reinstall the game from scratch on a regular basis or disable useful (and extremely widely used) addons in order to make the game work.

• KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Moreover, I am having issues with my addons failing to load properly, in spite of the fact that I am running the latest (not outdated) addons and have deleted and reinstalled them from scratch. These addons are: Advanced UI, Awesome Guild Store, Harvest Map, Lore Books, Master Merchant, SkyShards.
    Please take a look at this post; there might be something going on with the value of LUA memory in the UserSettings.txt being set to 0. Can you confirm this? I've provided instructions on how to change the value and how to make the file read-only for further testing.
  • AKSb16_ESO2
    AKSb16_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, 2nd time today that my Mac is crashing while I'm doing bosses in Wrothgar. Not just a simple client crash.
    The client keeps hanging completely, i have to turn the Mac off and on again since force quit isn't even working...
  • Chaos_Serpent
    Chaos_Serpent
    Soul Shriven
    I was wondering why I would get a black screen on start-up and the music would play and then after about 20 seconds, the music would stop and the developer logo splashes would begin.
    Then Yesterday, while the log-in screen was up, I heard the audio for the developer logo splashes. I thought that was odd.
    After I sign in, the game takes forever to load and the ESO oroboros circle icon merely stutters around as if it was having a hard time loading the game. The game has crashed several times in the past three days, not always when looting.

Then today after the game crashed and shut down, there was a log-in screen right behind as if it had been there the whole time. As if there had been a completely separate instance running simultaneously! I'm no programmer but all these appear to be symptoms of the game having problems with multi-threading.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @AKSb16_ESO2, could you please post your system specs here (Apple Menu > About this Mac), would be interesting to know whether there's anything related to hard/software. Please also try to disable all addons if you're using any, there might be a current error in how the client handles their memory usage.

@Chaos_Serpent, regarding how to disable the splash screens, please refer to this post.
    After I sign in, the game takes forever to load and the ESO oroboros circle icon merely stutters around as if it was having a hard time loading the game.
    Which OS X version are you on? If you're still on Mavericks (10.9), consider upgrading to 10.10, or better, to 10.11. The shaders have to be compiled on demand now, Yosemite and El Capitan are twice as fast in this than Mavericks.

Then today after the game crashed and shut down, there was a log-in screen right behind as if it had been there the whole time. As if there had been a completely separate instance running simultaneously! I'm no programmer but all these appear to be symptoms of the game having problems with multi-threading.
    No, it can't. A crashed process can't display anything, because it has been forcibly terminated by the OS. Has the game client been started twice, perhaps, or have you been thrown back to the log-in screen? Did you have to close down the log-in screen manually? Did you see a crash report of the first process?
  • AKSb16_ESO2
    AKSb16_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    @AKSb16_ESO2, could you please post your system specs here (Apple Menu > About this Mac), would be interesting to know whether there's anything related to hard/software. Please also try to disable all addons if you're using any, there might be a current error in how the client handles their memory usage.
    ?

Hello, my specs are :

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
    3,5 GHz Intel Core i7
    24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

I never had any problems with addons, but I will try and turn them of for a while.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
    Great machine, I have the same model. ;) Sans problems, though. And the most obvious difference is that I don't run addons.
    I never had any problems with addons, but I will try and turn them of for a while.
    There seems to be something amiss with addons since the latest incremental patch to the game (see here). Not necessarily with addons per se, but how the client handles their memory, which seems to have unwanted side effects on other parts of the game. In trying to play the game without them, a possible source of the phenomenon you're seeing can either be pinpointed, or ruled out.

Edited by KhajitFurTrader on March 20, 2016 5:18PM
  • Chaos_Serpent
    Chaos_Serpent
    Soul Shriven

@Chaos_Serpent, regarding how to disable the splash screens, please refer to this post.
    After I sign in, the game takes forever to load and the ESO oroboros circle icon merely stutters around as if it was having a hard time loading the game.
    Which OS X version are you on? If you're still on Mavericks (10.9), consider upgrading to 10.10, or better, to 10.11. The shaders have to be compiled on demand now, Yosemite and El Capitan are twice as fast in this than Mavericks.

No, it can't. A crashed process can't display anything, because it has been forcibly terminated by the OS. Has the game client been started twice, perhaps, or have you been thrown back to the log-in screen? Did you have to close down the log-in screen manually? Did you see a crash report of the first process?

Thank you for the prompt and knowledgeable response.

Here's what I know so far and answers to your questions:
    - I am using no add-ons, so that isn't an issue
    - MAC OS 10.9.5, so I will consider upgrading.
    - I think I know what happened in the one case where it looked like two clients were running simultaneously. When I get a crash report, I have the option of clicking the "reopen" button. I clicked the "reopen" button, which closes the larger crash report window and saw the smaller patcher window behind it. I probably thought that patcher window was the new restart and clicked play on it. Thus the "reopen" command from the crash report window probably started the client automatically and I started the client manually and simultaneously via the patcher window. This would explain why I've only seen this once among the many crashes I've experienced.

In a recent related thread a Zenimax employee mentioned that a number of Mac bug fixes will be repaired in an incremental patch this upcoming week. I'll be looking forward to that, and will be looking at an OS upgrade in the meantime.

Thanks for your interest and assistance.
  • Chaos_Serpent
    Chaos_Serpent
    Soul Shriven
    Okay, I decided it was time to upgrade to El Capitan

I did just now finish the upgrade and started TESO at just before 1 am EDT. It started immediately with the developer logo splash screens. That was good. There was no 20 second black screen like before. Likewise, the oroboros icon spun smoothly and the character selection screen appeared without much delay. So far so good.
    Edited by Chaos_Serpent on March 21, 2016 5:06AM