The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Explain to me 64 bit client(running on all cores?) performance increase or not, more fps???

Lifecode666
Lifecode666
✭✭✭
Hello everyone..

I am one of those that have some outdated parts in my pc, therefore I was looking forward to this 64 bit client, because someone told me that I would get better performance and more FPS when it arrives.
This sounds SO good in my ears since i love cyrodil pvp, but in massfights I get 7-10 fps(all graphics tuned down) even though I have a brand new graphic card,16gb ram and ssd disks I am told ESO relies heavy on prosessor?(sry for bad english)
That is bad for me since that is sadly the only thing I have not upgraded. I have a old i5 3.2ghz prosessor or something.

I was told that this 64 bit client will make the game run on all cores(this is latin to me) so everyting will be better.

Now......wherever I go and read posts everyone is saying that FPS is lower on pts than on live, and I am just really sad about reading this.
I thought this was suppose to make everything better and smoother..
Please help me understand because this is what I am looking forward to in next dlc, dreaming of 10-20 more fps in cyrodil etc...sad panda..

I have infact not seen one post that says something like: wow... awsome.. I have so much smoother gameplay... more fps etc...
@ZOS_GinaBruno
Up the hornz
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    After 64-bit client was launched it increased my fps two times, after next patches - 64-bit fps became equal to 32-bit fps. And my 4 cores still not used.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An i5 processor should be plenty to run the game on. If you get 7-10 FPS on min settings despite having a good graphics card the problem is elsewhere. Maybe a bad driver, or the game is set to use the integrated GPU in your processor(intel HD 3000-4000) instead of the dedicated card.
  • Lifecode666
    Lifecode666
    ✭✭✭
    outside cyrodil I have around 30fps
    Up the hornz
  • Thavie
    Thavie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a bad driver, or the game is set to use the integrated GPU in your processor(intel HD 3000-4000) instead of the dedicated card.
    lol, it's not about bad driver or integrated card, because there is no issues with playing any other game. The problem is in PTS client, for some reasons started with integrated card. Driver is not meaned to deal with all yours alpha-beta-programms, if ZOS want us to test their PTS properly - they need to deal with new drivers and new OS.
    "We grew under a bad sun"
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are amongst the people believing in the fairytale that a magic "64-bit client" will solve all your problems. Time to wake up my friend: they will not.

While it is true that 64-bit software is capable of running on all cores instead of being more restricted to a single core, the real optimization is done in the programming of the game itself and in the graphic card drivers and DX suite, regardless of wether the client is 32-bit or 64-bit. And the truth is that in fact they have optimized the client greatly over the past year to a degree that on a good setup even the 32-bit client nicely spreads it's threads and tasks over all cores.

BUT the programmers are dependent on the mechanics and nature of the game because that dictates the nature of the load to be processed. For instance until person X has moved from behind that tree I cannot know if I will be able to cast my fireball at them or not so the load is not known up front and A must wait on B which must wait on C to happen etc... So this linear process can only be handled by a single thread, as opposed to encoding a video of which the load is known up front and can therefore nicely be spread over as many cores as you like.

That is why you will suddenly see 1 core spike when all these people in Cyrodill are moving around you and all their relative position and action data needs to be calculated in 1 single thread.

Therefore the only thing that will save you right now is change your computer hardware to host a CPU that is optimized to handle a single thread load as good as is possible nowadays. For example an overclocked Intel-I6700K would be perfect for this and you will feel the difference today and for years to come, in both this game and future ones
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This has been discussed numerous times before...

Switching to a 64-bit memory model will first and foremost help with client memory management stability, not performance. The OS X client has additionally gained a huge performance boost by switching to a new rendering path featuring OpenGL 4.1.

Multi-core usage needs to be programmed into the underlying code, if it is at all possible to divide the task at hand into multiple threads; sometimes, it simply isn't -- the DirectX rendering queue isn't multithreaded until version 12. There are multiple threads running in the client already (e.g. sound FX, music, user and disk I/O, networking), but their workload isn't as high as the main thread's (the renderer itself), and some of them need to be synced on a regular basis. Additionally, consumer versions of Windows utilize a feature called Core Parking, which prefers running active threads on a single core to preserve energy (i.e. other cores can reach deeper sleep states by resting more often for longer times).

ESO still profits the most from a high CPU single thread/core performance; changing the client process' memory model to 64-bit won't automagically change this. And keep in mind that the game as a whole continues to consist of not one, but two parts: the server part, and the client part. The possible client-side FPS depend in no small way on the server-side performance and network latency in-between them.
  • Lifecode666
    Lifecode666
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for help.

But the 64 bit client and dx11 must do something for performance??

Or is this only for future graphical updates...
    Up the hornz
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    With the discontinuation of Direct3D 9 for the benefit of D3D11, and by going 64-bit, they have set themselves up for the future. Instead of maintaining 3 rendering paths, they can now concentrate on two, including the upcoming integration of DirectX 12. To really profit from the potential performance gains of the latter, the rendering queue would need to be adapted to multi-thread usage. As @profundidob16_ESO has correctly stated, the client mostly gets told by the server what to render, so it remains to be seen whether MMOs like ESO can profit at all, and by how much, from multi-threading.
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for help.

But the 64 bit client and dx11 must do something for performance??

Or is this only for future graphical updates...

Future mostly. To profit today you need a new singlethread performant cpu with still at least 4 cores (to be future proof) and futurewise when they implement DX12 on Windows 10, you'll want one the new graphic cards that will appear later this year (AMD Polaris, Nvidia Pascal...) to support and allow new DX12 software techniques such as e.g asynchronous computing to further spread the load over different cores so essentially you need a new pc. Sorry to burst your bubble buddy :)
  • Lifecode666
    Lifecode666
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all answers... Everything is obvoiuosly way more complicated than i thought and way over my head.

So to get better performance i need a new i7 skylake, but then i need a new motherboard aswell to support 1151 socket etc...etc..

Well,Well... I will not spend 6000 NOK just to get 10 more FPS in cyrodil when i can run The witcher 3 on ultra settings..

Cheers
    Up the hornz
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my case the 64-bit client, after finally getting it to work on Windows 10, is soaring.

I played for roughly 4-5 hours last night and was completely blown away by the details, the ambient sounds, the graphics detail, the new motion/emotes of NPCs, the script and the dialogue/voice acting, pretty much everything in TG atm. (In fact it feels a bit like a new game tbh).

And the 64-bit client in general is smoother and faster loading, (I mean the LOD load/graphics for NPCs in dialogues etc), under windows 10 (no compatibility mode) than on Windows 7, but that might be thanks to the Win10 installation being so bare bones compared to my bloated windows 7 install.

My monitor is 1080P 60hz 5ms, so I'm sticking with that resolution and vsync on, I understand many hard core riggs may have other milage than me, but overall it's a noticeable improvement.

I run on an i5 4460 3,2 with a GTX750 2Gb, 8MB 1600 rig and have solid butter smooth gameplay on High all on except Ambient and grass. I use Parkcontrol to unlock all parked cores and have the
    -USEALLAVAILABLECORES as command switch on the 64-bit client shortcut on the desktop (don't know if this has any effect, but I figure it can't hurt).

I do mostly PvP but on the PTS it's not quite representative due to number of players.

Cheers/Skål
    Edited by Idinuse on March 2, 2016 1:15PM
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't want to hijack your thread, but I was curious about the x64 project, specifically on Mac. From what I read, it looked like it would do wonders for performance and stability, but I haven't seen any threads of how much better and smoother the game plays now. I quit playing on my iMac when came out on console, but I still have the game. So, do any Mac users notice big improvements?
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you use Master Merchant? I've noticed that just having that turned on when I go into Cyrodil that my FPS can drop 50%. I try and turn that off before entering Cyro and then back on when I'm done.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI, 64 bit isn't required to use multiple cores. Programming for multi-threading is required for that. 32 bit apps can use all cores, just the same as a 64 bit one.

64 bit allows for memory addresses over 4 billion, so you can use more that 4GB of RAM with the application. (32 bit can only really use 3.5GB due to Windows OS requirements).

This means the 64 bit client should be able to load more objects into RAM, meaning less disk access and swapping of assets. This should theoretically improve performance.

For an app to use multiple cores, it needs to be developed to use multi-threading. This is where it allows parts of an program to run on different cores simultaneously. Special care needs to be taken when developing like this so operations are still done in correct order.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kylewwefan wrote: »
    So, do any Mac users notice big improvements?
    The answer to that is a big, definite yes. Both stability and performance have been improved tremendously on the OS X platform. You may want to take a look at the recent threads on the topic over at the Mac Tech Support forum (link in my sig below), though, as YMMV depending on the age, amount of memory, and GPU of your machine.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thavie wrote: »
    Maybe a bad driver, or the game is set to use the integrated GPU in your processor(intel HD 3000-4000) instead of the dedicated card.
    lol, it's not about bad driver or integrated card, because there is no issues with playing any other game.

You may have an issue with your driver and play 90% of your games fine because they don't make use of the features that are affected. It certainly isn't as simple as 'my other games run fine so it cannot possibly be the driver'.

• NerfPlease
    NerfPlease
    ✭✭✭
    Now......wherever I go and read posts everyone is saying that FPS is lower on pts than on live, and I am just really sad about reading this.

watch

• Lifecode666
    Lifecode666
    ✭✭✭
    NerfPlease wrote: »

watch

Awsome.
    Gonne be interesting to see how this goes...
    Up the hornz
  • sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    NerfPlease wrote: »

watch

Is that a comparison between the 2.3.4 (PTS) 32 bit exe and the x64 PTS EXE? If so I'd be curious to see a comparison video of the live server, and the x64 PTS. All the benchmarks I've done and seen do show a nice boost between 32 and 64 bit PTS clients, but the 64 bit seems to always be slightly behind the live server version.
    @sean8102 - Carlore - Daggerfall Covenant
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is that a comparison between the 2.3.4 (PTS) 32 bit exe and the x64 PTS EXE? If so I'd be curious to see a comparison video of the live server, and the x64 PTS. All the benchmarks I've done and seen do show a nice boost between 32 and 64 bit PTS clients, but the 64 bit seems to always be slightly behind the live server version.

just an FYI but there are cases where 64-bit can actually be slower then its 32-bit counterpart

These cases revolve around the fact that pointers and other data types are two times the size which means it needs to use more RAM which means accessing them can actually take longer and be slower under some conditions.

Im glad ESO is getting a 64 bit client, it should make the game more stable, but im not sure if that translates into large FPS increases...the majority of ESO FPS issues are due to unoptimized netcode and server issues.

lets hope for the best.
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak