Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

FPS (Thieves Guild optimization discussion)

• Elijah_Crow
    Elijah_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is soooo not ready to be pushed to the live servers....
  • sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    coolmodi wrote: »
    My results for ultra presets on my desktop (i5-3570k@4.6Ghz + 290X, even though GPU doesn't matter here) while running through Reapers March far away from town. It's just bad...

UtyqA3z.png

A good 1/3 perfromance lost, 32bit runs even worse!
    On live I also have addons running, so that may or may not be some additional fps.

Edit: In cities it looks the same as above, just everything divided by ~2 :)
    Live Rawhl'ka with a *** of people runs better than pts with 0 other players...

I get HORRIBLE performance on PTS if I have view distance set to 100. I'm lucky to get 30 FPS. :(

I'm dreading this going live.
    @sean8102 - Carlore - Daggerfall Covenant
  • infraction2008b16_ESO
    infraction2008b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    View distance, shadows and water reflections (even when not near water) seem to be the main culprits. Turning these down you can get acceptable frame rates for a while but if you play for a while or alt tab the frame rate drops on the same settings in the same places.

With view distance though, it seems they have changed the max setting to literally render everything. On live at max settings you'll still notice distant objects fading in however this is not just the same as turning the view distance down because different objects have different fade in points on live (i.e. a distant building will fade in quicker than a closer NPC).
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey guys, could you try setting "SET GPUSmoothingFrames" to "0" in your user settings file for PTS and see if that has any noticeable difference?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Praseodyme
    Praseodyme
    ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, could you try setting "SET GPUSmoothingFrames" to "0" in your user settings file for PTS and see if that has any noticeable difference?

No influence for me. Results are the same with (or without) that setting and the GPU load is still under 35% in Abah's Landing.
    Guilde Vindicte, première guilde FR à avoir battu [OFFLINE]
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not making a difference for me.

On the same spot at the Rawl Kha traders looking to the temple (spot with the lowest fps in that city for me) i get:

~60fps on live with about 20 addons on ultra settings (2440x1440).

~30fps on pts with 0 addons on ultra settings 32bit client.

~50fps on pts with 0 addons on ultra settings 64bit client.
    Edited by Derra on March 3, 2016 10:30PM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Thavie
    Thavie
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno , it helps, but not much. I have 30 now, and I had under 20 before. But on lve I have 50-60.
    "We grew under a bad sun"
  • Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It did nothing for me, i did not gain 1 fps from it :(
    Some of my favorite screenshots
    My opinions and posts are mostly on a PvE setting.
  • zerosingularity
    zerosingularity
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is worth noting I have had that setting for both Live and PTS for many months now, it makes no difference.

I have fully disabled the core parking that Windows 10 has, so any multi-threaded capabilities that were added should be able to always take advantage of the extra cores. (This was done long ago as well.)

Also I have fully Working SLI on Live and PTS, with a ~20% FPS drop with the 64-bit client and ~50% FPS drop with the PTS 32-bit client, as detailed in many posts.
    NA-PC

Kaineth - Stamina Nightblade (Weakest Player Ever!)
    Elena Stormwood - Magicka Sorcerer (vMA no Death 12/21/15 Score 401148)
    Sheila Feyrondas - Magicka Dragonknight Tank (Frost staves are gonna be fun!)

*Disclaimer* I fail at emotional communication, so assume what I say is NOT meant to be offensive.
  • Yojack
    Yojack
    Not Ginas fault but I seriously shake my head now after seeing her suggestion. Tons of great posts here with legitimate concerns and not going to be fixed with one usersetting command.....
    Yojack, of Yojack's Min/Max and the Yojack Build from Daoc, Wow, Swtor and Gw2. Original Master of the Stunlock!
  • coolmodi
    coolmodi
    ✭✭✭
    Here's another test run with
    • minimum presets
    • minimum with 100 view distance
    • ultra presets
    all in the middle of nowhere. Additionally
    • ultra presets inside Rawl'kha to simulate a more demanding scenario
    dPh0tMC.png
    No addons on both clients, fps unlocked so it goes over 100.

Something uses up a lot of CPU time, all the time! In demanding scenarios (here town) it's just really bad, while on live (with people in it) it's quite smooth, on PTS with 0 people in it it's increadibly laggy.

Even outside of town PTS stutters noticably. THIS CAN'T GO LIVE. A 40% (and potentially even higher in cyrodiil etc.) performance loss CAN'T GO LIVE.

View distance, shadows and water reflections (even when not near water) seem to be the main culprits.
    That's because they heavily use the CPU. Other settings will actually use your GPU and therefore not change fps at all (if GPU is good enough).
    With view distance though, it seems they have changed the max setting to literally render everything. On live at max settings you'll still notice distant objects fading in however this is not just the same as turning the view distance down because different objects have different fade in points on live (i.e. a distant building will fade in quicker than a closer NPC).
    Didn't watch for that, but as you see from my results 0 distance actually is a bigger performance loss relatively speaking. So what you say may be true. Just that it also happens regardless of distance set, so 0 doesn't help that much on PTS as it does on live.
    Edited by coolmodi on March 4, 2016 7:55AM
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this hits live and it´s not a pts server issue (idk why it would be) s*** will hit the fan.

The forum will explode with rage and people will rightfully point out that this has been known early on.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its possible because the pts server might not be as big as the main server also I am betting if you got spammed all that rewards of the worthy mail if you created a vet level toon thats possibly one of the reasons why.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on March 4, 2016 8:02AM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • sparafucilsarwb17_ESO
    sparafucilsarwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you run an amd card you can try this: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/clockblocker-download.html
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its possible because the pts server might not be as big as the main server also I am betting if you got spammed all that rewards of the worthy mail if you created a vet level toon thats possibly one of the reasons why.

This would all be server/latency though surely, not FPS as that's on our end and the way our machines run the game.

I hope live doesn't become this bad on Monday, we have enough issues right now without another large one like this being reported on PTS and still going live.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is not the reason i deleted all mails and still have a performance downgrade even with the 64bit.

Edited by Ra'Shtar on March 4, 2016 8:10AM
    Some of my favorite screenshots
    My opinions and posts are mostly on a PvE setting.
  • coolmodi
    coolmodi
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing that my CPU limits by one core beeing fully loaded I REALLY doubt that is a server issue. There are games that wait for data from the server to render the next frame, but that always results in neither CPU nor GPU to be loaded.

This is a client side issue that causes higher CPU usage. And seeing Gina's reply I fear they have no clue what it is.
    Edited by coolmodi on March 4, 2016 1:52PM
  • ThatGuyCameron
    ThatGuyCameron
    ✭✭✭
    The amount of testing, number crunching and technical knowledge people provide in these threads blows me away. It's as if you guys have been hired to fix a game that's still in Alpha with the kickstarter being the Crown Store.
    Ebonheart EU Xbox One
  • deleted008293
    deleted008293
    ✭✭✭✭
    Where it is located the PTS server?
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1st week of PTS all I did was duel in Cyrodiil, no FPS issues at all just lag at my end.

I logged in 2 weeks later to test some PvE, I had 15-26 FPS. So is it just the PvE? Or did something go in patch 2.3.2/3 that wasn't supposed to?
    PC EU
  • infraction2008b16_ESO
    infraction2008b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

As this guy says:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfncvZVlxIE
    coolmodi wrote: »

View distance, shadows and water reflections (even when not near water) seem to be the main culprits.
    That's because they heavily use the CPU. Other settings will actually use your GPU and therefore not change fps at all (if GPU is good enough).
    Didn't watch for that, but as you see from my results 0 distance actually is a bigger performance loss relatively speaking. So what you say may be true. Just that it also happens regardless of distance set, so 0 doesn't help that much on PTS as it does on live.

Both those scenarios may be linked and your test only showed minimum settings @ 0 vs 100 view distance.

It may be that there's a bug/optimization issue with view distance that not only renders overly distant/out of view objects but it might also affect shadows and even water.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nordmarian wrote: »
    Where it is located the PTS server?

Go to your launche'rs settings (the little cogwheel), open them and tick "show test environment". That should enable you to install the PTS by selecting it from the list on the left side of the launcher. Careful, it's as big as the live client (north of 50 GB).
  • deleted008293
    deleted008293
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry... I was hoping to hear something about the location: EU or NA. :)
    Maybe it has to do something about fps too. I play from EU and my fps on PTS was way lower than on EU Live. Latest patch made it better but it is still under Live performance.

I was wondering if playing on EU and NA will render the same performance issues or not.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Thanks for all your tests and posts, guys. Just wanted to let you know that we are continuing to look at performance and optimizations on our end, too.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • HoloYoitsu
    HoloYoitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your tests and posts, guys. Just wanted to let you know that we are continuing to look at performance and optimizations on our end, too.
    That's nice, but this is literally 3 days before the patch gets pushed to PC. What kind of meaningful fixes can be coded for such a pervasive issue before your final build needs to be compiled, and how do you even have time to test the fix then? Not to mention, how was such a blatant performance issue passed over entirely by QA when it's apparent to literally anyone who logs in the game? Or was the issue known but deemed acceptable?
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nordmarian wrote: »
    Sorry... I was hoping to hear something about the location: EU or NA. :)
    Maybe it has to do something about fps too. I play from EU and my fps on PTS was way lower than on EU Live. Latest patch made it better but it is still under Live performance.

I was wondering if playing on EU and NA will render the same performance issues or not.

No, latency shouldn't impact your FPS very much. In any case, I trust ZOS are on to whatever is causing performance degradation, since the change from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 was very noticeable (for the better), though it's still below the performance we're getting on Live.
  • coolmodi
    coolmodi
    ✭✭✭
    I can lose my connection and still "play" with my normal fps until I get thrown to the login screen. I just can't use skills etc. Latency doesn't affect fps at all.

They changed something for 2.3.x that caused the fps drop, and if that also makes it to live it will be the same there.
    Edited by coolmodi on March 4, 2016 5:49PM
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    still not fixed eh? Great....
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• deleted008293
    deleted008293
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well i got scared for a second when i seen such bad performance when the tg reached on pts for 1st time. Tested both 32 and 64 bit at that time... later i just checked the 64bit on the latest patch and indeed the performance boost was there... yet not enough. My hope is that in the end the 64 bit client will make the live environment MUCH better. 25-50% more fps is HUGE on mid range pc's. Shame that 64 bit didnt helped much with the random loading screens and with low res textures that haunt me always since IC.
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HoloYoitsu wrote: »
    That's nice, but this is literally 3 days before the patch gets pushed to PC. What kind of meaningful fixes can be coded for such a pervasive issue before your final build needs to be compiled, and how do you even have time to test the fix then? Not to mention, how was such a blatant performance issue passed over entirely by QA when it's apparent to literally anyone who logs in the game? Or was the issue known but deemed acceptable?

simple, it's becoming more and more obvious that whatever system the devs use bears little if any resemblance to the live servers as time and again what works fine on dev server is completely broken on pts/live.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol