The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.1 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

FPS (Thieves Guild optimization discussion)

• daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just ran the same "benchmark" on my laptop. Specs and game config below:

PC specs
    Asus K56CB notebook
    Intel Core i7-3537U @2GHz
    8 GB RAM
    GeForce GT 740M
    Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD
    Windows 8.1 x64

Graphics settings
    Windowed (Fullscreen) 1024*768
    V-Sync and AA OFF
    Texture Quality High
    Subsampling Quality High
    Shadow Quality OFF
    Water Reflection Quality OFF
    Maximum Particle Systems 1024
    Particle Suppression Distance 50
    View Distance 25
    Ambient Occlusion OFF
    Bloom OFF
    Depth of Field OFF
    Distortion OFF
    Sunlight Rays OFF
    Magelight Lighting ON
    Grass OFF

Min/max/avg fps:
    tnVNCzc.png
    FPS graph:
    qktdFeV.png

Conclusion
    On this weaker system the difference isn't nearly as large as on my desktop; still, there's a 9% penalty in average fps (compared to 36% on the desktop).

As it is, the only thing in favour of the PTS client is that the FPS never dips below 14 (6 in the case of the live client). However, the live client had a weird hiccup at the very beginning of the test where it nearly froze, so the numbers may be a little skewed; if we discounted that issue, the PTS client would come out even worse.
  • Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @daemonios could it be something with the change to DX11 and NVidia drivers?
    Some of my favorite screenshots
    My opinions and posts are mostly on a PvE setting.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ra'Shtar wrote: »
    Hey @daemonios could it be something with the change to DX11 and NVidia drivers?

Your guess is as good as mine :)

That said, many people were already running the client using DX11, I think. DX9 was just a fallback when the newer API wasn't available. So I'm pretty sure the test I ran on the live server already used DX11.
  • sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ra'Shtar wrote: »

I'm running AMD GPU and have a massive perf drop on PTS compared to live as well. Both live and test client are using D3D 11. Noticed the same drop on another PC with a GTX 770 as well.

Here is a benchmark of running through Daggerfall along the same path. From the wayshrine to the stable by the docks, and back to the wayshrine.

Sorry for the different chart styles, not familiar with excel :blush:

PTW68fr.png

yi7X3SZ.png

Pretty bad drop in performance (about 20 FPS!), esp considering the live server had lots of characters in the area, and the test server was empty. Would have been even worse on test server if it was populated.

Specs
    Z77MA-G45 Motherboard
    Intel Core i5 3570 @ 4.0Ghz
    24GB DDR3 1600 RAM
    8GB Radeon R9 390X
    Samsung 840 Pro SSD
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Settings

Ultra 1080p
    Water reflections on max setting
    View Distance 80
    Particle settings on default ultra settings
    Edited by sean.plackerb14_ESO on February 27, 2016 4:53AM
    @sean8102 - Carlore - Daggerfall Covenant
  • uso245
    uso245
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't have anything to do with Nvidia drivers because people with high end AMD cards are experiencing it as well. I was in Black Desert Online's closed beta too and gotta say not a single fps drop or sudden massive lag at all and with their whole after you log into the server and no loading screens after that, I am certainly tempted to make that switch.
    My Facebook Page
    My Youtube Channel
    (DC NA Megaserver) Beta Tester
    My Twitter
    Art of Death
    Fate Stay Night

Member since February 2014
    l
    Strategist/Tactician
  • Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    uso245 wrote: »
    It doesn't have anything to do with Nvidia drivers because people with high end AMD cards are experiencing it as well. I was in Black Desert Online's closed beta too and gotta say not a single fps drop or sudden massive lag at all and with their whole after you log into the server and no loading screens after that, I am certainly tempted to make that switch.

RIGHT!? i too tried the beta and i can play the game with all those people running around at max settings with 50+ fps, i did not liked the game itself because the quest is awful but it has a lot better graphics than ESO and i get a lot more fps, ZoS should hire the people who optimized that game cose right now ESO is one of worst optimized MMOs in the market. @uso245
    Edited by Ra'Shtar on February 27, 2016 3:23AM
  • Aelendil
    Aelendil
    ✭✭
    Any dev comment on this problem since this rly can't make it to live servers?
    Edited by Aelendil on February 28, 2016 5:55PM
    Server: EU
    Guild: Het Vreemdelingen Legioen
    Account Name: @arieblom
    Characters: Aelendil Lv50 Nightblade, Temael Lv50 Templar, Sorcael Lv50 Sorcerer, Wardael Lv50 Warden

• Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aelendil wrote: »
    Any dev comment on this problem since this rly can't make it to live servers?

I wish, not a single word from them i hope this doesn't mean they are ignoring the problem.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tried it on the PTS today and compared it to live.

Rawl kha on live is between 80 and 110 fps with some players around (only usersetting modification to up the fps limit of the game to 144).

Rawl kha on pts is at 30 to 50 fps.

What the actual snip.

This is an i7-4790k @4.5, 16gb ram, gtx 980ti windows10 pro with the game running fullscreen ultra settings at 2440x1440.
    Edited by Derra on February 28, 2016 9:56PM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    What the actual snip.

I don't know why that snip made me laugh so hard.
  • Lifecode666
    Lifecode666
    ✭✭✭
    This is bad news..

is this with 64bit client?
    Up the hornz
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it´s with the 32bit client as they´ve not managed to get 64 working for win 8 and 10 yet.

This can´t go live @ZOS_GinaBruno
    <Noricum>

• Darlon
    Darlon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    let's see what today's patch and tomorrow's maintenance bring...
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darlon wrote: »
    let's see what today's patch and tomorrow's maintenance bring...

I'm waiting for the patch to post new benchmarks for 2.3.4 32-bit and 64-bit.
  • Lifecode666
    Lifecode666
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... this is really dangerous times..

So many people thinking they will get better performance, myself included....
    When 64 bit client is released I demand MUCH better performance in the entire game, especially in cyrodil..

...If not, I have to upgrade my processor and motherboard just to play eso.
    Not gonna happen, when I can play witcher3 on ultra settings with no issues.

I really hope that it all works out well..

Edited by Lifecode666 on February 29, 2016 1:14PM
    Up the hornz
  • Skynetwork
    Skynetwork
    ✭✭✭
    ohh ohh, it has improved nothing. x64.exe is running now under win10 pro, but i have still 35-40 fps in the new zone. this can´t go live.

:neutral:

(i7 6700k@4.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 2 x MSI GTX 970)
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep no difference here either. Still <50% the FPS I get on live.

I am hoping this is just a PTS thing since this happens with every PTS session.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Annnnnnnnddddd... I'm disappointed. The FPS have undoubtedly improved, but it's still worse than live. More importantly, I'm suffering from terrible micro-stuttering whenever I move my camera around. Like the FPS went down to single-digit, but my benchmarks actually don't show the FPS that low. I kept running/riding into walls and other obstacles, and also noticed huge input lag (e.g. mount not responding to spacebar to jump). It's terrible and almost unplayable. If I move around town without touching the camera (just navigating with W/S/A/D keys) I don't get the stuttering. [EDIT] After logging in to the PTS again, the micro-stuttering is completely gone. I don't know what caused the issue in the first place.

Here's the numbers from my desktop, done in the same conditions as my post above (e.g. no add-ons, etc):

Min/max/average FPS
    PJ3DIXn.png

FPS for the duration of my test
    f9HBmWb.png

I'm surprised to see such a big improvement with the 64-bit client actually. But it's still a performance penalty compared to live, and if the micro-stuttering isn't fixed it's going to be unplayable for me.
    Edited by daemonios on February 29, 2016 6:16PM
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is pretty bad. My fps is halved (or worse) on the PTS. Whats going on??
    Edited by khele23eb17_ESO on February 29, 2016 6:13PM
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I will say that my FPS is improved on the PTS for sure, however it's still bad compared to live.

Hopefully this is just a PTS-specific issue and will resolve itself come Live.
  • Darlon
    Darlon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was a lot better for me after the patch...
  • zerosingularity
    zerosingularity
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll chime in and say I am noticing similar FPS drops to everyone here. The 64-bit client on PTS is better than the 32-bit, once I got SLI to work. (Have to force alternate frame rendering, because no SLI profile available.)

I do get ~60 FPS average on PTS, but 80+ on live, so yeah. Code needs some HARDCORE optimizations. I think at this point, FPS fixes for both consistency and max/min needs to be top priority. Everyone here seems to have BEAST machines that are well above the recommended specs and have low FPS. I think some serious communication about this issue is warranted.

Admitting there is a problem earns more respect and credibility than silence until a solution is (hopefully) available.
    NA-PC

Kaineth - Stamina Nightblade (Weakest Player Ever!)
    Elena Stormwood - Magicka Sorcerer (vMA no Death 12/21/15 Score 401148)
    Sheila Feyrondas - Magicka Dragonknight Tank (Frost staves are gonna be fun!)

*Disclaimer* I fail at emotional communication, so assume what I say is NOT meant to be offensive.
  • Yojack
    Yojack
    Definitely better then 2.3.3 but definitely worse then live even with 64bit. Looking at task manager my memory usage is 2.5g just like live so eso is not taking advantage of the extra memory. Is there a way to boost texture cache etc to get more performance at ultra settings?
    Yojack, of Yojack's Min/Max and the Yojack Build from Daoc, Wow, Swtor and Gw2. Original Master of the Stunlock!
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    64-bit client works okish for me too. The average fps seem to be a tad lower but the min fps are somewhat higher (meteroing 20 npcs does not produce fps under 30).
    <Noricum>

• Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    64-bit client works okish for me too. The average fps seem to be a tad lower but the min fps are somewhat higher (meteroing 20 npcs does not produce fps under 30).

Yeah but with a 64bit client you are supposed to get higher fps even if its just 5 more not lower, something is going on and the silence from the devs has me very worried this cannot go to live bcause this mmo is already on of the worst optimized ones on the market.
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe.... the plan is to ruin FPS with the next patch and then return it to normal in the 64bit client so that it seems like the client is a big improvement? :open_mouth: Or maybe im just paranoid :P
    Edited by khele23eb17_ESO on February 29, 2016 10:42PM
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol
  • sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is my experience with the x 64 client, running the same benchmark I did in my post above. As you can see its a improvement compared to 2.3.3 and much closer to live, but still live server performance is better.

y1Z2bCm.png

I ran these benchmarks today on both servers with the following settings.

1080p ultra-high pre-set
    Water reflection quality high
    View distance 60

Edited by sean.plackerb14_ESO on February 29, 2016 11:27PM
    @sean8102 - Carlore - Daggerfall Covenant
  • coolmodi
    coolmodi
    ✭✭✭
    My results for ultra presets on my desktop (i5-3570k@4.6Ghz + 290X, even though GPU doesn't matter here) while running through Reapers March far away from town. It's just bad...

UtyqA3z.png

A good 1/3 perfromance lost, 32bit runs even worse!
    On live I also have addons running, so that may or may not be some additional fps.

Edit: In cities it looks the same as above, just everything divided by ~2 :)
    Live Rawhl'ka with a *** of people runs better than pts with 0 other players...
    Edited by coolmodi on March 1, 2016 5:44AM
  • Lifecode666
    Lifecode666
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else tested??

It's just that on live I have 10 fps in cyrodil when bananas,smurf and tomato clash together..

I was looking forward to maybe 20 fps, but seems like i will have 0 fps now:-) lol

anyone?

What i want is 60+
    Edited by Lifecode666 on March 1, 2016 11:10AM
    Up the hornz