Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

"Transaction not Authorized" Can not buy Crowns.

0Ithilien
0Ithilien
Soul Shriven
Not that long ago (roughly a few months ago), the Orsinium DLC pack came out on the Crown Store, and since I had already bought the Imperial City DLC pack, I thought about getting the Orsinium one too. I had to get some crowns from the ESO game website because I only had 600 Crowns left.
I had used a prepaid debit card at first, and when I attempted to complete the purchase for about 5500 Crowns, it said "The transaction was not authorized. Please contact your payment provider for additional assistance." I know for a fact that the card had enough money in it for the purchase, because it had $50 inside it, and the 5500 Crowns cost $40.
I then tried it with a normal debit card instead of a prepaid one, and I got the same message "The transaction was not authorized. Please contact your payment provider for additional assistance."
I submitted a ticked, and tried doing my own research on the topic. The ticked ended with nothing happening, and my research led me to find that in the past a lot of people have had the same problem as I. Some have gotten their problem fixed, and others I believe have not.
I thought about starting a whole new account and seeing if that would fix it temporarily or permanently, but since I had already bought the Imperial City DLC, I didnt really want to have to re-purchase it, simply because the ESO website has a problem with my account. (I also know for a fact that its the website and not my card, because I then used that prepaid debit card to purchase Skyrim on steam, and the normal debit card to purchase other things I needed. They both worked fine.)
I would love to continue playing this game, but at this rate, the only content I will be able to have is the Imperial City, and the normal game. Right now that seems to be 2/3 of the content, so it inst that bad (Assuming that IC, and the normal game content are counted as 1/3), but as more DLCs come out, and as the rest of the continent of Tamriel is unlocked for players, that is going to be a lot less content available to me. Any help is welcome at this rate.
  • Blo0dstorm
    Blo0dstorm
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure the country selected in your account, the country you are trying to purchase from and the country your prepaid card originates are same.
  • 0Ithilien
    0Ithilien
    Soul Shriven
    Blo0dstorm wrote: »
    Make sure the country selected in your account, the country you are trying to purchase from and the country your prepaid card originates are same.

From what I read on other peoples posts on the forums, there is no real way to change the country at all once the account is made. And since the purchase for the game, and the original 5500 Crowns worked (and nothing has changed since then), I can not foresee it being a problem with the country.
  • paul_j
    paul_j
    ✭✭✭
    Are you on ps4?
  • 0Ithilien
    0Ithilien
    Soul Shriven
    paul_j wrote: »
    Are you on ps4?

I'm on PC.
  • ZOS_CoriJ
    ZOS_CoriJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to clear up some information on this thread for the benefit of general information:

For prepaid cards:
    This payment method isn't always reliable. In order for a prepaid card to work, you will need a proper Billing Address attached to the card that can be checked with your address registered on your ESO account. This can usually be done online by registering the card. (There's usually an web address on the back for this.) Be sure to also check the refund policies for your card. You want to make sure that any failed transactions return the payment to your card. Even with these measures they can sometimes fail payment so we usually don't recommend them.

For your country:
    You actually can change your country for your account after account creation. Please contact Support to place a ticket on this issue. This is one of the faster issues for Customer Support to address.

OP's issue:
    In relationship to country, please make sure all billing information matches exactly to the billing address for your payment method. Our system is case sensitive with this.

•Do not use abbreviations unless they're done in your billing statement (i.e. St to Street)
    •Do not use any APO FPO address
    •Replace any special characters with English-language equivalents (e.g.: use ae for ä, ue for ü, oe for ö, ss for ß, efor é/è)
    •We also advise you remove any dots, commas and dashes from their address and post code.
    •If you have a separate Mailing Address attached to your payment source, you may need to try using that address

Since you received the error in the past with your old card you may also want to try clearing cache and cookies or switching to another web browser before attempting to use your new payment method.

If you still need assistance, please contact Customer Support again to brief description of what is occurring and what you've tried already. You may also leave the ticket number here. Always make sure you specify your error messages when contacting support (in this case "payment not authorized").

Hope this was informational for everyone.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site

No longer available to take PMs or messages: Please defer to another Moderator
    Staff Post
  • 0Ithilien
    0Ithilien
    Soul Shriven
    ZOS_CoriJ wrote: »
    I wanted to clear up some information on this thread for the benefit of general information:

For prepaid cards:
    This payment method isn't always reliable. In order for a prepaid card to work, you will need a proper Billing Address attached to the card that can be checked with your address registered on your ESO account. This can usually be done online by registering the card. (There's usually an web address on the back for this.) Be sure to also check the refund policies for your card. You want to make sure that any failed transactions return the payment to your card. Even with these measures they can sometimes fail payment so we usually don't recommend them.

For your country:
    You actually can change your country for your account after account creation. Please contact Support to place a ticket on this issue. This is one of the faster issues for Customer Support to address.

OP's issue:
    In relationship to country, please make sure all billing information matches exactly to the billing address for your payment method. Our system is case sensitive with this.

•Do not use abbreviations unless they're done in your billing statement (i.e. St to Street)
    •Do not use any APO FPO address
    •Replace any special characters with English-language equivalents (e.g.: use ae for ä, ue for ü, oe for ö, ss for ß, efor é/è)
    •We also advise you remove any dots, commas and dashes from their address and post code.
    •If you have a separate Mailing Address attached to your payment source, you may need to try using that address

Since you received the error in the past with your old card you may also want to try clearing cache and cookies or switching to another web browser before attempting to use your new payment method.

If you still need assistance, please contact Customer Support again to brief description of what is occurring and what you've tried already. You may also leave the ticket number here. Always make sure you specify your error messages when contacting support (in this case "payment not authorized").

Hope this was informational for everyone.

After submitting a ticket to have my country changed, I found that my country was already set to the correct one. And after doing the things suggested above, nothing has changed at all when I attempt to buy Crowns.
  • ZOS_CoriJ
    ZOS_CoriJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please reply to your email concerning the country name change to receive further service concerning your access. You may also leave the ticket number here. Always make sure you specify your error messages when contacting support (in this case "payment not authorized"). This will help in the situation that the billing department needs to investigate further.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site

No longer available to take PMs or messages: Please defer to another Moderator
    Staff Post
  • 0Ithilien
    0Ithilien
    Soul Shriven
    ZOS_CoriJ wrote: »
    Please reply to your email concerning the country name change to receive further service concerning your access. You may also leave the ticket number here. Always make sure you specify your error messages when contacting support (in this case "payment not authorized"). This will help in the situation that the billing department needs to investigate further.

Thanks, I'll submit a ticket and see if anything can be done about this at all.
  • BeefBoy
    BeefBoy
    Soul Shriven
    Did you manage to buy crowns in the end? I am also receiving the same error, already submitted a ticket.
  • 0Ithilien
    0Ithilien
    Soul Shriven
    BeefBoy wrote: »
    Did you manage to buy crowns in the end? I am also receiving the same error, already submitted a ticket.

Not sure if this is still relevant to you. But no, I did not manage to get the crowns. But I'm not going to give up on trying with tickets, etc... This is an amazing game, I don't want a payment error to cause this game to be unplayable forever.
  • danial_lava
    danial_lava
    Soul Shriven
    0Ithilien wrote: »
    BeefBoy wrote: »

Not sure if this is still relevant to you. But no, I did not manage to get the crowns. But I'm not going to give up on trying with tickets, etc... This is an amazing game, I don't want a payment error to cause this game to be unplayable forever.

did u ever find a solution since july? i am having the same problem and i cant seem to get any proper help, eventhough i have sent numerous tickets in the last week and the support crew have been trying to help but to no avail
  • Morrigath
    Morrigath
    Soul Shriven
    Hi,

I am facing the same problem as described above.
    Could I ask you to review my ticket #170204-000157.

Thanks.