Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

FPS (Thieves Guild optimization discussion)

Ra'Shtar
Ra'Shtar
✭✭✭✭✭
They got even worse with today's patch, now while looking towards the city of Aba's Landing my FPS drop to 15!!!!! how is this possible its getting worse and worse with every patch it used to be 32 with the first patch then 24 and now 15, what are you doing you are killing me!!!!

Some of my favorite screenshots
My opinions and posts are mostly on a PvE setting.
  • Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play at max settings in live and in PTS on medium i have 40 FPS.
    Edited by Ra'Shtar on February 22, 2016 9:43PM
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure why @Xeven is being so petulant. I've noticed low FPS and more FPS drops in Abah's Landing and across Hew's Bane ever since the newest update was on the PTS. It is definitely worse in and around Abah's though.

My specs are i7-4790k, R9-290, game on SSD, and 16GB RAM with an 80 down/12 up mbps network speed, so I don't think it is on my end.
    Gore-of-the-Forest Argonian Nightblade
    Wode Earthrender Breton Dragonknight
    Ceol the Last Baron Redguard Dragonknight
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
    Erebain Salothran Dark Elf Templar
    Rituals-of-the-Forest Argonian Warden
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lighten up people. It's obviously Aba's Landing.
  • Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My specs are i7 4770, 16 GB RAM, windows 10 - 64 bit, Nvidia GTX 970.

Xeven its not just Abah's Landing its everywhere they are just far worse in that city i used to get 50+ fps in Wrothgar and in the PTS i have 20-25 fps tops, please don't derail the thread with trolling or obnoxious comments anymore if you don't agree you have made your point.
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS wrote:
    Made some optimizations to improve the overall frame rate for both PC and Mac game clients.

Sounds like they're having the opposite effect.
  • Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this goes to live i'm going to give up.
  • HoloYoitsu
    HoloYoitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pictured: ZOS board room meeting.
    3t5f5l.jpg
    Edited by HoloYoitsu on February 22, 2016 9:20PM
  • Skynetwork
    Skynetwork
    ✭✭✭
    My specs are i7 6700K, 32 GB RAM, Windows 10 - 64 Bit, 2 x Nvidia GTX 970 (SLI).

live server PvE constant 60 FPS @ 4K (3840x2160)
    PTS server Abah's Landing (no other players on screen) 30-40 FPS, also in other regions...
    There is something very wrong with PTS Client performance. and no, its not the inet conection, or the US pts, i think its something with the dx11 thing.

(sorry for the bad english)

Greetings :)
  • dennissomb16_ESO
    dennissomb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not just the new zone. When I first went onto PTS I noticed the significant drop in FPS. I made sure my video settings were exactly the same for live and PTS. I then ported to zones in each faction and ported to Cyrodil going to a couple keeps. In every case my fps on live was 100 fps and on the PTS the average was 15-40 fps. decided to take it a step further and turn off the few mods I run and same result.

Not sure if it is the PTS hardware, or something in the actually update but fps on the test server are significantly lower.
  • infraction2008b16_ESO
    infraction2008b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much unplayable on a gtx 970, this needs to be fixed before hitting live.
  • pema
    pema
    ✭✭✭
    I turned off shadows, that helped. I run on ultra live, and pts just had big trouble.
    We did a run of maw, and we all had issues, lot of drops in fps.
    Officer of Alith Legion
    Ebonheart Pact guild, EU server.
    Check out our site alithlegion.com
  • Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pema wrote: »
    I turned off shadows, that helped. I run on ultra live, and pts just had big trouble.
    We did a run of maw, and we all had issues, lot of drops in fps.

It didn't not help too much it just raised my fps by 5 which is absolutely sad, but thanks for trying :)
  • Kyoma
    Kyoma
    ✭✭✭
    Compared to the previous PTS version (2.3.2) this patch gave many people in our raid severe fps problems. Of course this is the PTS we're talking about and not live so a difference in performance (besides latency) can be expected. But with a clear difference in performance between yesterday and today it seems to be more than the 'general PTS performance' difference.
    Will I be able to forget all the wounds that pierce my flesh?
    You and your childish justice. I'll rip it to pieces.
    Come on, it's showtime. A rain of blood like a volcano
    And now I'll blow all of you and you and you...
    All to tiny pieces. All to tiny pieces.
  • Yojack
    Yojack
    Just chiming in. Definitely something for the worse performance wise. Fps have been cut in half in most areas. Wrothgar....hews bane....it's really noticeable.
    Yojack, of Yojack's Min/Max and the Yojack Build from Daoc, Wow, Swtor and Gw2. Original Master of the Stunlock!
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just did a comparison between live and PTS. All settings are the same (ultra, 1920x1080 full screen). A couple more add-ons enabled on live than on PTS. These aren't exact measurements, just my "feeling" from keeping an eye on the in-game fps counter.

LIVE
    Orsinium: ~55 average fps, ~40 fps minimum (indoors: ~60 fps)
    Wayrest: ~60 average fps, ~48 fps minimum (indoors: ~60 fps)

PTS
    Orsinium: ~30 average fps, ~24 fps minimum (indoors: varies a lot, tends to stay between ~40 and ~70 fps)
    Wayrest: ~25 average fps, ~17 fps minimum (indoors: ~40 fps average)
    Abah's Landing: ~25 fps, ~18 fps minimum (indoors: fps goes up and down, from 100+ to mid 30s)

I've noticed in PTS the fps are a lot less constant. They rarely stabilise when outdoors, go all the way up to 70+ fps, but mostly stay in the mid-20s to 30s.

This worries, me, as the PTS is getting noticeably lower performance with much fewer players in-game. I can only expect performance to degrade further on live.
    Edited by daemonios on February 23, 2016 11:09AM
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »
    Just did a comparison between live and PTS. All settings are the same (ultra, 1920x1080 full screen). A couple more add-ons enabled on live than on PTS. These aren't exact measurements, just my "feeling" from keeping an eye on the in-game fps counter.

LIVE

PTS
    Orsinium: ~30 average fps, ~24 fps minimum (indoors: varies a lot, tends to stay between ~40 and ~70 fps)
    Abah's Landing: ~25 fps, ~18 fps minimum (indoors: fps goes up and down, from 100+ to mid 30s)

I've noticed in PTS the fps are a lot less constant. They rarely stabilise when outdoors, go all the way up to 70+ fps, but mostly stay in the mid-20s to 30s.

This worries, me, as the PTS is getting noticeably lower performance with much fewer players in-game. I can only expect performance to degrade further on live.

@ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_RichLambert, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

This issue really needs to be resolved asap. This CANNOT go to the live server as is. There's a serious problem within the game code that is increased with EVERY patch done.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Psilent
    Psilent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robbmrp wrote: »

LIVE

PTS

This issue really needs to be resolved asap. This CANNOT go to the live server as is. There's a serious problem within the game code that is increased with EVERY patch done.

FPS has been getting worse since IC was launched. Was hoping the 64 bit client and DirectX 11 would fix it.
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Psilent wrote: »
    Robbmrp wrote: »

LIVE

PTS

FPS has been getting worse since IC was launched. Was hoping the 64 bit client and DirectX 11 would fix it.

I agree but they can't get it to work so it doesn't have any impact on this patch. They need to check their coding as it's causing issues with FPS. When someone can take the exact same rig and have higher FPS on live versus PTS that's a coding issue and has nothing to do with that persons rig. Are the graphic effects too high in TG? @ZOS needs to resolve this before this patch goes live. What's the point in trying to play a game at 15 FPS with all your settings turned to low graphics? This will totally kill the game.

If you think Cyro is bad NOW, wait till everyone tries to play it with 15 FPS..... There won't be a reason for ANYONE TO LOG ON....

@ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_RichLambert, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom I sure hope this is a high priority for a resolution before going live. Otherwise this WILL kill the game.
    Edited by Robbmrp on February 24, 2016 3:16PM
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I also noticed that my fps starts to drop rapidly when Im selling items in at a vendor.

Its not really game breaking or anything but its strange to say the least.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Praseodyme
    Praseodyme
    ✭✭✭
    Ra'Shtar wrote: »
    They got even worse with today's patch, now while looking towards the city of Aba's Landing my FPS drop to 15!!!!! how is this possible its getting worse and worse with every patch it used to be 32 with the first patch then 24 and now 15, what are you doing you are killing me!!!!

As for me, it's the same issue with the new patch : FPS dropping in the 20's in all graphically charged area, with a CPU global use that does not exceed 17% and a GPU workload always below 45% !

Spec. :
    i7 4790K @4.2 GHz
    GTX 980
    16 GB
    Win7 x64

Settings : Ultra @1440p

In addition to this, the x64 client (which was previously functional for me) now crashes the game.
    Edited by Praseodyme on February 26, 2016 12:39AM
    Guilde Vindicte, première guilde FR à avoir battu [OFFLINE]
  • Darlon
    Darlon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and still nothing from @ZOS
  • Praseodyme
    Praseodyme
    ✭✭✭
    All of this makes me very pesimistic, considering ETA of TG is now within two weeks.
    Perhaps a "Z" (but not a zombie, hey ! ;) ) could tell us a little bit more ...
    Guilde Vindicte, première guilde FR à avoir battu [OFFLINE]
  • sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    My FPS is MUCH worse on PTS than live. I'm lucky to get 30 fps in a town on PTS. Dropping the view distance way down to 30 or so gets me to 40 ish FPS.

i5 3570 @ 4.0Ghz
    Radeon R9 390X
    Windows 10 x64

settings: Ultra 1080p (Runs fine on live server)
    Edited by sean.plackerb14_ESO on February 26, 2016 6:34AM
    @sean8102 - Carlore - Daggerfall Covenant
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really hope they don't release it this way....does anyone remember the 5 FPS fiasco of the 1.2.3 patch...i really hope we don't see a repeat of that...
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If theese FPS drops go live ZOS can expect to loose a large chunk of players to BDO. This patch is the last chance for a lot of us.
    Edited by themdogesbite on February 26, 2016 1:37PM
    :]
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I also have a ton of FPS issues and have done since IC although they've (kind of) slightly gotten better, I did post in the PC Support forums about this.

On live right now I get 80-144 FPS pretty much constantly on maximum settings except for when ESO "locks out" a CPU thread and I drop to 10-40 until I /reloadui.

On the PTS? Hah. I get <15 FPS on the same settings and don't even get above 50 FPS with everything on minimum. It's baffling.

The only thing I am hoping for is that the 64-bit client resolves all these issues.
  • Psilent
    Psilent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If theese FPS drops go live ZOS can expect to loose a large chunk of players to BDO. This patch is the last chance for a lot of us.

I've had a few miserable days in PvP because I'll have 40+ FPS then it'll drop to 8 FPS and sit there until I zone into a delve or Alt+F4.

Really was hoping this would be fixed with TG. Reading and hearing about FPS issues on the PTS doesn't give me much hope. :(
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm starting to think it is every major area. I popped into Elden Root to go out and get a map marker to Craglorn and inside the Tree was 15 fps and no one was there. I usually get high 50s with dips to the 40s if a lot is going on when I'm on live.

i5-2500K, 8GB Ram, GTX760, Windows 7Pro, 64-bit client, 1080P, Ultra settings
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran a little test using FRAPS (www.fraps.com) to try and get a more reliable sense of the performance on the PTS client. The following are my PC's specs and the game's settings. The only difference between Live and PTS is that I ran PTS with all add-ons disabled to try and squeeze every bit of performance out of the game. In both cases I was using the 32-bit client (64-bit client isn't working on Win10).

PC specs (same for Live and PTS)
    Asus Z170-Deluxe MB
    Intel Core i7 6700K @4GHz
    16GB DDR4-3200
    GeForce GTX 980ti
    Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD
    Windows 10 Home x64

Graphics settings (same for Live and PTS)
    1920*1080 fullscreen, VSync off, AA on
    All settings maxed/turned on
    Maximum Particle Systems 1024
    Particle Suppression Distance 50
    View Distance 100

The way I tested was port to the Orsinium wayshrine, start the FRAPS benchmark and do a circuit I often run to pick up, craft and hand in all writs on my main character:
    - Ride to the provisioning writs board near the temple, pick up all writs;
    - Enter the temple, go to the enchanter and open the Enchanting interface as if I were crafting the glyph;
    - Exit the enchanter and temple, ride to the crafting writs board, pick up all writs;
    - Enter the forge, go to the blacksmithing table, open and close the crafting UI, then do the same with the woodworking table;
    - Exit the forge and ride to the clothier, open and close the clothing UI;
    - Exit the clothier and ride to the bank, open and close the bank interface (as if picking up previously crafted foods/potions);
    - Exit the bank, ride to the writs hand-in zone, then ride back to the bank, open and close the bank interface, stop the benchmark.
    This provides both outdoor and indoor areas, with lots of moving around town, so it should represent a typical gaming session.

Results
    Like I previously mentioned in this thread, the results showed that the PTS client has noticeably lower minimum, maximum and average FPS compared to the Live client:
    VwzJly7.png?1
    Below is the graph of FPS values for the duration of the "benchmark". You'll notice that the duration isn't exactly the same (it's hard to do exactly the same path in exactly the same time), but it's still clear that the FPS are lower on the PTS than on the Live client for the majority of the test:
    H5cdbzC.png?1

Conclusion
    It's clear to me that the PTS currently has a significant performance penalty over the live client, even with an above average system like mine and without the additional stresses of live (like more players on-screen and in nearby areas). I fear that weaker systems might suffer even more and make the game unplayable with reasonable graphics quality settings.

It would be nice to hear from other people using different platforms (e.g. x64 client on Win7, or different hardware configurations). Any insight from the devs would also be particularly appreciated, namely any confirmation that they are aware of the performance issues and whether they expect to address them before Thieves Guild goes live or shortly thereafter.
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran a little test using FRAPS (www.fraps.com) to try and get a more reliable sense of the performance on the PTS client. The following are my PC's specs and the game's settings. The only difference between Live and PTS is that I ran PTS with all add-ons disabled to try and squeeze every bit of performance out of the game. In both cases I was using the 32-bit client (64-bit client isn't working on Win10).

PC specs (same for Live and PTS)
    Asus Z170-Deluxe MB
    Intel Core i7 6700K @4GHz
    16GB DDR4-3200
    GeForce GTX 980ti
    Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD
    Windows 10 Home x64

Graphics settings (same for Live and PTS)
    1920*1080 fullscreen, VSync off, AA on
    All settings maxed/turned on
    Maximum Particle Systems 1024
    Particle Suppression Distance 50
    View Distance 100

The way I tested was port to the Orsinium wayshrine, start the FRAPS benchmark and do a circuit I often run to pick up, craft and hand in all writs on my main character:
    - Ride to the provisioning writs board near the temple, pick up all writs;
    - Enter the temple, go to the enchanter and open the Enchanting interface as if I were crafting the glyph;
    - Exit the enchanter and temple, ride to the crafting writs board, pick up all writs;
    - Enter the forge, go to the blacksmithing table, open and close the crafting UI, then do the same with the woodworking table;
    - Exit the forge and ride to the clothier, open and close the clothing UI;
    - Exit the clothier and ride to the bank, open and close the bank interface (as if picking up previously crafted foods/potions);
    - Exit the bank, ride to the writs hand-in zone, then ride back to the bank, open and close the bank interface, stop the benchmark.
    This provides both outdoor and indoor areas, with lots of moving around town, so it should represent a typical gaming session.

Results
    Like I previously mentioned in this thread, the results showed that the PTS client has noticeably lower minimum, maximum and average FPS compared to the Live client:
    VwzJly7.png?1
    Below is the graph of FPS values for the duration of the "benchmark". You'll notice that the duration isn't exactly the same (it's hard to do exactly the same path in exactly the same time), but it's still clear that the FPS are lower on the PTS than on the Live client for the majority of the test:
    H5cdbzC.png?1

Conclusion
    It's clear to me that the PTS currently has a significant performance penalty over the live client, even with an above average system like mine and without the additional stresses of live (like more players on-screen and in nearby areas). I fear that weaker systems might suffer even more and make the game unplayable with reasonable graphics quality settings.

It would be nice to hear from other people using different platforms (e.g. x64 client on Win7, or different hardware configurations). Any insight from the devs would also be particularly appreciated, namely any confirmation that they are aware of the performance issues and whether they expect to address them before Thieves Guild goes live or shortly thereafter.

This is GREAT information, very nice job @daemonios !

@ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_RichLambert comments on the FPS issue?
    NA Server - Kildair