Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Eclipse just keeps getting worse

• Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I afraid Eclipse became same sort of templars' myths just like Healing Ritual - everyone heared about Eclipse, but noone used it and those who used it, didn't survive to tell others about it.
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS does not have a great track record here: they sometimes try to get players to use bad skills by simple persuasion rather than by actually fixing the skill itself.

Remember when 1.6 was coming out, and Wrobel was touting Liquid Lightning as the salvation to Sorceror Class-skill DPS issues in PvP? True story.
    Templars are 'just slower... by design'
    Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
    VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS does not have a great track record here: they sometimes try to get players to use bad skills by simple persuasion rather than by actually fixing the skill itself.

Remember when 1.6 was coming out, and Wrobel was touting Liquid Lightning as the salvation to Sorceror Class-skill DPS issues in PvP? True story.

Wonder whats the persuasion on both eclipse morphs. 1 just became simply useless by rarely reflecting anything and most likely only useable on XBOX/PS4 platforms due to all random casual PVP'ers who barely give a f on bubbles around them, and the other one being just a 2-3 times weaker version of Curse.
    ~ @Niekas ~

• bertenburnyb16_ESO
    bertenburnyb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Zos,
    Do u even Templar?
    guess not
    Haze Ramoran Dunmer Dragonknight Tank/Dps – Smoked-Da-Herb Saxheel Templar Tank/Healer

Red Diamond, Protect us 'til the end (EU EP Thorn)
  • AfkNinja
    AfkNinja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Zos,
    Do u even Templar?
    guess not

Isn't it weird? 80-90% of the Templar community on these boards is in agreement on the changes we need. All they would have to do is play a Templar and I am sure they would see where we are coming from. Just play the class and it's shortcomings are blatant.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AfkNinja wrote: »
    @Zos,
    Do u even Templar?
    guess not

Isn't it weird? 80-90% of the Templar community on these boards is in agreement on the changes we need. All they would have to do is play a Templar and I am sure they would see where we are coming from. Just play the class and it's shortcomings are blatant.

What's sad is that they decide to change stuff like breath of life where there is no such templar consensus.
  • Fungy148ub17_ESO
    Fungy148ub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I really want some form of aoe reflect that is still different from reflective scales. Either a ground targeted (or centered on caster) eclipse zone that reflects spells of enemies standing in it, or adding a region around the eclipsed target where other enemies reflect if they stand in it. Preferably having the eclipsed region linger even if the target has broken free and can cast.

It should be a powerful defensive utility and right now it just fails to provide that.
  • bikerangelo
    bikerangelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Zos,
    Do u even Templar?
    guess not

What's sad is that they decide to change stuff like breath of life where there is no such templar consensus.

And it won't solve anything. With the Major Mending change, all Templars have to do in PvP is find a corner to hide behind, set up their house, and spam BoL away while giving insanely powerful burst healing to all players, whereas before those players had to be within the Purifying Ritual radius.

The LoS check was the necessary change, but in return healbots got a 25% encouragement boost to spam it even more.
  • Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Zos,
    Do u even Templar?
    guess not

That idea must have come from Stamina DKs/NBs who think their class/builds are totally balanced (which in fact, would be balanced if other classes/magicka builds except Sorc were on par) and them trying to 1vX with Templar spamming BoL in the X is too hard.
    ~ @Niekas ~

• Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Before pts i didn't believe that it possible to nerf Eclipse even further... oh my naivity.
  • AfkNinja
    AfkNinja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    Before pts i didn't believe that it possible to nerf Eclipse even further... oh my naivity.

It's easy to break something when you have no idea how it works or how it SHOULD work..... :)
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Zos,
    Do u even Templar?
    guess not

And it won't solve anything. With the Major Mending change, all Templars have to do in PvP is find a corner to hide behind, set up their house, and spam BoL away while giving insanely powerful burst healing to all players, whereas before those players had to be within the Purifying Ritual radius.

The LoS check was the necessary change, but in return healbots got a 25% encouragement boost to spam it even more.

A Fassalas wearer and a werewolf will make that major mending worthless. The healer will be standing behind a corner dishing out 1k heals.
    Edited by timidobserver on February 25, 2016 4:34PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Joy_Division I just have to ask you why it would be overpowered if Eclipse did not get involved in CC Immunity? All your opponent would need is someone on their team slamming Efficient Purge or Cleansing Ritual. Voila, nothing to see here. We pay a high cost for activating the skill, both in magicka and time. Eclipse unlike Defensive Posture and Reflective Scales requires Timing, Distancing, and Foresight to use. It should have a payoff that is better than these skills for that reason. Ironically, Eclipse is functionally and qualitatively worse, and keeps getting worse with every change they make to it. I use to love this skill. I would go around bubbling up the whole enemy raid of range folks, and I'd keep them bubbled. They either had to properly counter it with a purge or go in melee range. All a DK has to do is keep flapping if he's getting ranged attacks coming from all sides. Eclipse has no where near that defensive viability, yet its cost is the same, and comes with all the other frailties I've just stated. In short I don't think the cc immunity is warranted because the skill just isn't that good, despite my wish that it were. It is just too easily countered, and ends up being more of a cheap buff for your enemies.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Joy_Division I just have to ask you why it would be overpowered if Eclipse did not get involved in CC Immunity? All your opponent would need is someone on their team slamming Efficient Purge or Cleansing Ritual. Voila, nothing to see here. We pay a high cost for activating the skill, both in magicka and time. Eclipse unlike Defensive Posture and Reflective Scales requires Timing, Distancing, and Foresight to use. It should have a payoff that is better than these skills for that reason. Ironically, Eclipse is functionally and qualitatively worse, and keeps getting worse with every change they make to it. I use to love this skill. I would go around bubbling up the whole enemy raid of range folks, and I'd keep them bubbled. They either had to properly counter it with a purge or go in melee range. All a DK has to do is keep flapping if he's getting ranged attacks coming from all sides. Eclipse has no where near that defensive viability, yet its cost is the same, and comes with all the other frailties I've just stated. In short I don't think the cc immunity is warranted because the skill just isn't that good, despite my wish that it were. It is just too easily countered, and ends up being more of a cheap buff for your enemies.

If there was no cooldown you could spam it on someone. It would take stam to break and then they'd have nothing left go cc break. Not everyone will run in a group or have those skills.

It needs a cool down, or not be placed on the enemy.

But then all DKs and temps would just reflect and ranged battle would be a thing of the past.
    Edited by Brrrofski on February 25, 2016 4:59PM
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »

If there was no cooldown you could spam it on someone. It would take stam to break and then they'd have nothing left go cc break. Not everyone will run in a group or have those skills.

But then all DKs and temps would just reflect and ranged battle would be a thing of the past.

I don't know, you can only apply it to one target at a time, and it's only projectiles. It's also expensive to keep recasting. Rather than CC immunity, they could add a reflect limit like scales, that would pull it into line.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • bikerangelo
    bikerangelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Zos,
    Do u even Templar?
    guess not

A Fassalas wearer and a werewolf will make that major mending worthless. The healer will be standing behind a corner dishing out 1k heals.

You have no idea how excited I am to see that set on live, I really hope they leave it as is and don't apply an internal cooldown.
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    AriBoh wrote: »
    So if we are to 'defend our house' rework eclipse entirely -

Eclipse - You place a 10m area of protection around you that absorbs the damage of any projectile in the radius.

Total Dark - You place a 10m area of protection around you that absorbs the damage of any projectile in the radius and heals allies standing in the area for 25% of the absorbed amount.

Unstable Core - You place a 10m area of protection around you that absorbs the damage of any projectile in the radius and damages any enemy in the area for 50% of the absorbed amount.

OP? Idk but it keeps us 'in our house' and adds unique group utility.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. That would make defending our House viable if not slightly OP... depends on how many attacks it absorbs and the cost.

Any skill that keeps us confined to a 10m area should be borderline OP.
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Zos,
    Do u even Templar?
    guess not

You have no idea how excited I am to see that set on live, I really hope they leave it as is and don't apply an internal cooldown.

I only pointed it out to say that I don't understand the complaints I am still seeing about healing, los, and major mending. I think healing has been nerfed enough directly and indirectly for one patch.

• Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Zos,
    Do u even Templar?
    guess not

I requested to add this set for last 6 months and so I really glad they finally added it. Why do they listen itemization feedback but ignore templar feedback :'(
  • Theodard
    Theodard
    ✭✭✭
    @Joy_Division

I believe you might be a dirty red, but you are welcome in my yellow Templar house anytime for a drink and chat about all that _still_ needs adjustment for Templars. I personally greatly appreciate all of your thoughtful write ups, responses, theory crafting, etc.

I so want this skill to be very useful to use. I did not in fact use this last summer, since at that point I was more of a stamplar. Now that I'm all magicka based, I wish I would have used it then. Unstable Core in TG seems nice. However my limited testing showed that it certainly wasn't all that great. While it hits harder now to at least some degree, the lack of reflect hurts IMO. I honestly would simply be happy if Total Dark could be applied to multiple targets at this point. I do not know if I'll use this skill at all now beyond preliminary testing once it goes live, but I certainly hope we get some love here.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mostly because CC breaking is expensive, almost punitively so for non stamina builds in light of the no stamina regen penalty for block, and thus I think whenever that action is used, regardless of circumstance, the player deserves the 6 or 8 seconds of immunity.

I know people could slot purge, but in such a case against a templar with a non-breakable eclipse, then that skill becomes mandatory, which is something I do not think should happen in a game that restricts the number of skills I can use.

I understand this makes it easy for opponents to simply remove the primary purpose of the spell. But just because it is easy does not mean there is not a cost in terms of price and time. If we make it so opponents could CC break, but not be given immunity, this is how a fight with a sorcerer would go.

Templar: eclipse
    Sorcerer: break free
    Templar eclipse
    Sorcerer: ...
    Templar. jab-jab-jab-jab-jab-jab-jab.

If we made it so no CC at all (i.e. had to be cleansed), fight would go like this:

Sorcerer: purge
    Templar eclipse
    Templar: "how's your magic regen?"
    Sorcerer: "hopefully better than yours."

The game's philosophy is centered around always being able to control your character in spite of the debuffs and CCs put on them. No charms, long duration CCs, banishments, etc. Everything you do to opposing players is removable. So I am OK with eclipse falling into this pattern. I fully expect the opponent to break it just as they would a blazing spear stun.

You are, however, correct in that the defensive viability is lacking. The does not mean a solution has to deviate from the game's philosophy or turn templars into want-to-be DKs. If say a templar got major protection for 8 seconds upon casting this and either minor main or more damage the enemy for breaking the bubble, now all of a sudden the spell has real defensive value even if the target CC broke it. I would also agree the spell is far too expensive for what it does. Also the idea of making this an AOE that puts a "void" and bubbles enemies within a specific area is another possibility.

I made this thread to point out there the base mechanic of enemy debuff + damage is a good idea that should not be scrapped. Rather reformed.
    Edited by Joy_Division on February 25, 2016 7:38PM
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Joy_Division indeed unbrekable Eclipse is too OP, but problem is that after changes on pts, Scales really became mandatory. Nor Eclipse nor Defensive Stance can't counter Scales now and that is huge buff for Scales; and thats why Eclipse from useless debuff should become self-buff that won't involve things like CC break.
    So while Eclipse was nerfed, Scales was buffed hard. Not sure if i should be sad or laugh at this.
    Edited by Cinbri on February 25, 2016 8:06PM
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    @Joy_Division indeed unbrekable Eclipse is too OP, but problem is that after changes on pts, Scales really became mandatory. Nor Eclipse nor Defensive Stance can't counter Scales now and that is huge buff for Scales; and thats why Eclipse from useless debuff should become self-buff that won't involve things like CC break.
    So while Eclipse was nerfed, Scales was buffed hard. Not sure if i should be sad or laugh at this.

Again, this is just a different philosophy. If templars really really want to make Eclipse a reliable reflect, then ZoS has to remove all the other attributes and aspects of the spell and make it like a DK's scales.

I never denied that and thought I made that pretty clear. I am not going to convince people who want the reflect come hell or high water to prefer or even like what I have proposed.

I am pointing out things are not that simple. For two years ZoS has resisted, fanatically so, all of our pleas to change our skills, abilities, and archetype because they have a specific "vision" for what a templar ought to be and have repeatedly said they are against homogenization. I have a ton of criticism of their combat team but I can't say I blame them if they feel a class self buff reflect is part of the DK identity and should exclusively stay with them.

All I endeavored to do in this thread is to address the issues and problems with the spell as its mechanics and functionality exist in the game. Something the devs could work on immediately and present us with in the TG update rather than a complete overhaul or something that would leave us with a crappy and overly nerfed spell until "no ETA." That's it.

Edited by Joy_Division on February 25, 2016 8:42PM
  • staracino_ESO
    staracino_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am curious where the current/PTS iteration of Eclipse fits into the 'house' theme? Right now all I can come up with is that it is like having a really annoying recording before your answering machine lets them leave their message.

But on topic, I did more testing and I cannot make this ability work well for me. A possible way to make it work better (without a complete rewrite) would be to have no break free, and offer no CC immunity, but only reflect one (the next) projectile fired. The high cost would mean a Templar can spend their entire Magicka pool to try to lock 1 player out of projectile attacks, since they would have to recast it each time they fired one. It would certainly be a unique way to play, with some obvious counters. Skilled players would be able to use it to deadly effect.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ideally, I'd like to see Eclipse become a self buff. The homogenization line is just a bs reason that sounds good. If homogenization meant anything, Sorcs wouldn't have been given anything remotely similar to breath of life. It shouldn't be that hard to make eclipse a self focused reflect with a different flavor/feel than reflective scales.

• david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If there was no cooldown you could spam it on someone. It would take stam to break and then they'd have nothing left go cc break.

So it would essentially be Talons? Doesn't sound like ZOS has a problem with a spammable skill that eats stamina... at least not if a DK is using it.

Templars are 'just slower... by design'
    Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
    VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An idea. Remove reflect form eclipse, remove target cap and remove CC portion of it but make it only heal templar when ANY skill used by attacker.
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • kaalmoth
    kaalmoth
    ✭✭✭
    I very much agree with joy_division here.
    I started playing on ps4 and I didnt pvp right from the start so I didnt really use much of eclipse when it was still multitarget. But even when we could only target one player, it was still usefull, mostly in small scale, 1v1 fights.
    Tbh I used it all the time, it was my opener, because stams don't care and usually don't break from it and magicka will most of the times have at least 1 spell reflected, or it would break the damage burst and give some air. It was the perfect counter to scales, and to talons spammers running around you whipping.
    What annoys me the most, is that the rework was introduced, maybe even thought, as a buff... I think this is where templars lost the most, double reflects and melee powerfull spells reflection nerf will hit us hard.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »

I don't know, you can only apply it to one target at a time, and it's only projectiles. It's also expensive to keep recasting. Rather than CC immunity, they could add a reflect limit like scales, that would pull it into line.

You could permanently lock a sorc from using much. Especially out they use a staff. They'll have curse and endless fury. That's it.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any idea of community is better than what zos did.