Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Trying to install but its saying "Setup Quit Unexpectedly"

Red_Crusade
Hey everyone, I need help with something. I have a MacBook Pro and I bought this game and I'm trying to download it. So I go to the website and click the download button, something comes up in the download folder, I click it, then something comes up where you pick your language and you click the install button. But every time I do this and I click the install button it and window comes up that says "Setup Quit Unexpectedly" and tells me it'll automatically send a report to Apple and to reopen it and everytime I reopen it nothing happens and this is really frustrating. Does anybody know anything I can do to fix this problem?

If there is any other way I can download the game please let me know
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Greetings @Red_Crusade !

There has been a problem with the installer, so what you will need to do is download the unpacked launcher from here directly:

http://patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/BNA_Launcher/TESO_OSX.dmg

Please be sure to let us know if you're still having trouble after doing so!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  •  Red_Crusade
    Ok thanks. Do I have to delete the installer I downloaded before?
  • ZOS_MollyH
    While it won't likely cause any conflicts, it's always a good practice to remove unneeded files :)

Staff Post
  •  Red_Crusade
    Ok, thank you so much! But I don't know if i Should be worried about this or not but i downloaded the ling you gave me and its installing but its been on 0% for about 10-20 minutes now. Is that a problem or should I just be patient with it?
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Be patient with it. You may need to ensure your OSX firewall has permissions enabled, and that you are logged in from an admin profile.

We advise players to ensure that they have added an exception for the game to the OS X Applications Firewall:

Open System Preferences from the Dock
    Click on Security and Privacy
    Navigate to the Firewall tab
    Click on Firewall Options…
    Check for Bethesda.net_ Launcher.app OR Launcher.app in the Box.

Players should ensure that they are signed in using an Admin profile.

Players can view their profile with the steps below:

Navigate to the Apple menu.
    Select System Preferences.
    Click Profiles.
    We recommend players to contact Apple Customer Support should they encounter any issue with signing-in or setting-up an Administrator Profile.
    Staff Post
  •  Red_Crusade
    I went to the firewall settings and it wasn't even turned on so I turned it on and none of those two things were in the box so I don't think thats the problem. But it just went to 1% so I guess thats good
    Edited by Red_Crusade on September 28, 2015 7:12PM
  •  Red_Crusade
    I was installing eso again and then I clicked the pause button thinking I could come back to it later and I closed the launcher and then when I wanted to come back to it and start downloading it again is said "Internal error..." so I deleted every so file I could find and tried to install/download the game again and its still saying the same thing so is there anything I can do to fix this problem?
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Hi @Red_Crusade :)

An "Abort: Pointer is NULL" Error usually indicates that the game files did not download or install properly. Often, a simple system restart will resolve this, but if it does not, you may fix the issue by completing the following steps:

For Mac:

Restart the computer.
    Navigate to the System Preferences under the Apple Menu.
    Open up Network in System Preferences (Usually located in the third row, third icon).
    Make sure the network connection with a green dot next to it is selected.
    Click the Advanced button in the lower right corner.
    From the drop down menu, click on Proxies.
    In the Select a protocol to configure list, uncheck Auto Proxy Discovery.
    This error can also occur because of a corrupted user profile. This page of the Apple Support explains how to create a new user profile on Mac:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11468?viewlocale=en_US

We recommend that the game should always be launched from an Administrator profile.
    Staff Post
  • drkrismmc
    drkrismmc
    Soul Shriven
    Hi ZOS_MollyH,

I tried all the above steps several times. I still get the "Abort: Pointer is NULL" Error. I have a brand new Macbook Pro with all the updates.

Please let me know if anything else can be done.

Thanks!
  • Vorzha
    Vorzha
    Soul Shriven
    ZOS_MollyH wrote: »
    Greetings @Red_Crusade !

There has been a problem with the installer, so what you will need to do is download the unpacked launcher from here directly:

http://patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/BNA_Launcher/TESO_OSX.dmg

Please be sure to let us know if you're still having trouble after doing so!

This is exactly what I needed as well. Any chance it can get added to the known technical issues post?
  • falkodex
    falkodex
    Soul Shriven
    You know, we just purchased a brand new iMAC 27" desktop system and we are having the same problem, the SAME run around fix suggestions.

So, either this game runs on this platform or it doesn't!!

(And I am NOT going to set up a dual boot with windows because if I wanted windows I would of bought a PC and I didn't)

So, whom ever this: ZOS_MollyH person is, what is it going to be? Does this game work or "NOT" ??

• KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do the Macs in question have Retina displays? If so, please check out this thread. There is a link to the original solution of installing ESO in a HiDPI environment in post #2.

Hope that helps. :smile: