Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Thieves Guild Guide: Areas"

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the web article, Thieves Guild Guide: Areas.

The warm sands and clear waters of southern Hammerfell await you, hero. Learn about the rich history of Hew's Bane and its main points of interest.
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What kind of area sizes are we dealing with here? Is Hew's Bane the size of Stros M'Kai? Of Khenarthi's Roost? There are only 2 delves? Are they bigger than normal delves?
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    HYPE!
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • deleted008293
    deleted008293
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its safe to say it is bigger than Stros M'Kai. Perhaps its closer or even bigger than Khenarthi's Roos as well. That city alone is HUGE. Indeed overall its not a full size zone. It doesn't bring many delves to explore.
    From what I understood there are 2 delves. Single player ones. One trial which its safe to say it cover the content for more than 2 group dungeons alone. Then there are also lots of small delves dedicated to thievery.
  • Takllin
    Takllin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just an FYI, this is not showing up in the Dev Tracker. @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Jadokis - AD Redguard DK v16 AR 18
    Jàsènn - AD Orc Templar 47 AR 10
    Jessèn - AD Dunmer DK v16 AR 9 - Former Empress of Blackwater Blade

Tekllin - AD Altmer Sorcerer v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Tekklin - AD Bosmer Nightblade v16 AR 12 (Ret.)
    Jasenn - DC Imperial Templar v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Jasènn - DC Orc Sorcerer v16 AR 15 (Ret.)
  • Talek
    Talek
    ✭✭✭
    It's 1/3 size of normal zone i guess with city even bigger than orsinium. srsly is this standard? now with every new dlc we will get bigger and bigger towns? Capitals of the alliances looks so low compared to orsinium or abah. I'm not saying it's bad, it just shows how rushed the original content was, today mournhold or elden root will be enormous.

And hey white & black camels sneak peak, now we can assume every mount that come in will be basic + white and black limited edition versions :)
    Edited by Talek on February 1, 2016 10:31PM
  • petraeus1
    petraeus1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Talek wrote: »
    It's 1/3 size of normal zone i guess with city even bigger than orsinium. srsly is this standard? now with every new dlc we will get bigger and bigger towns? Capitals of the alliances looks so low compared to orsinium or abah. I'm not saying it's bad, it just shows how rushed the original content was, today mournhold or elden root will be enormous.

And hey white & black camels sneak peak, now we can assume every mount that come in will be basic + white and black limited edition versions :)

I kinda agree and then again don't. Elden Root, Wayrest and Mournhold are still formidable capitals in their own right. ZOS wants to show what they can do now, and that's great. It's kinda natural for a game with a long lifespan and continued development. I wanna see what cool stuff they can make and would rather have them create new and fabulous cities than reworking say Daggerfall or Sentinel. At the same time it looks odd when new zones bring cities that are supposedly in the grand scheme of things of minor importance, but they drastically outshine the capitals of the factions in terms of aesthetics and size. ZOS is their own guardian in that respect, and I'm not at all sure if I wanna tell them to tune it down. Paradoxical.
  • Farorin
    Farorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am looking forward to it... but god, why did it have to be Hammerfell??

Curse that sand-ridden place.
  • Pensola
    Pensola
    ✭✭✭
    Farorin wrote: »

Why don't you like sand? Is it because it is coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere??

Lol, but poor Prince Hew, he just couldn't get anything right. I almost hope we will get to meet him in ghost-person somehow, if only to have the choice to lie to him about yet another failure he had post-mortem, or tell the truth. XDD
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nordmarian wrote: »
    Its safe to say it is bigger than Stros M'Kai. Perhaps its closer or even bigger than Khenarthi's Roos as well. That city alone is HUGE. Indeed overall its not a full size zone. It doesn't bring many delves to explore.
    From what I understood there are 2 delves. Single player ones. One trial which its safe to say it cover the content for more than 2 group dungeons alone. Then there are also lots of small delves dedicated to thievery.

The new trial is actually located in Reaper's March, not Hew's Bane.

Which is good, because it sets a precedent of DLCs adding content to existing zones, and gives me hope that future DLCs will finally add vet versions of Volenfell, Vaults of Madness, etc.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Darkheart
    Darkheart
    ✭✭✭
    *peers* Is that a nightingale belt on that woman on the screenshot of Shark's Teeth Grotto? :smile:
    Returning Home to Daggerfall.
  • Darkheart
    Darkheart
    ✭✭✭
    Returning Home to Daggerfall.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

@code65536: Where did you find this? It makes sense but I've not heard this Elsweyr elsewhere.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's 1/3 size of normal zone i guess with city even bigger than orsinium. srsly is this standard? now with every new dlc we will get bigger and bigger towns?

I would guess Thieves Guild will have a very urban focus... gotta have buildings to break into and people to pickpocket. If so, a large city is a must.

Imperial City, well, that's a no-brainer. And Orsinium was largely about rebuilding a city.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dark Brotherhood was also urban focused, but after that... well, it might be time to do something not urban, and have a new landscape to explore.

• James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@code65536: Where did you find this? It makes sense but I've not heard this Elsweyr elsewhere.

In the most recent ESO Live they said it was on a island actually so I dunno where Reapers March came from.
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Darlon
    Darlon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was said in eso live that it was located in reapers March. Which makes sense since it has a khajit based story....
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

From the ESO Live episode.

First, if you look at when they bring up the map to talk about the location of Hew's Bane, you'll see a trial icon in the southwest of Reaper's March.

Second, when they talk about the trial itself and how to reach it, the developer said that you can either walk up to it in Reaper's March, or talk to a quest-giver in Hew's Bane who will then take you there.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Mysticman
    Mysticman
    ✭✭✭
    Darlon wrote: »
    It was said in eso live that it was located in reapers March. Which makes sense since it has a khajit based story....
    It doesn't matter where it's located at on a map since it's underground so all you will see on a map is a mark where the door is located. There's two ways to put lots of content in a small area, put stuff underground or build stuff straight up, it looks like we will get both in Hew's Bane.
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mysticman wrote: »
    Darlon wrote: »
    It doesn't matter where it's located at on a map since it's underground so all you will see on a map is a mark where the door is located. There's two ways to put lots of content in a small area, put stuff underground or build stuff straight up, it looks like we will get both in Hew's Bane.

It's actually on/in a mountain. :)

The Maw of Lorkhaj was formerly known as the Temple of the Seven Riddles, obviously located at the southern border of Reaper's March on top of a mountain.
    Darkheart wrote: »
    *peers* Is that a nightingale belt on that woman on the screenshot of Shark's Teeth Grotto? :smile:

It might be a piece that later on inspired the nightingale armor. Don't forget this is about 1,000 years earlier.
    Farorin wrote: »

No worries, next DLC will be Gold Coast and then we'll hopefully/finally get to see more of Black Marsh and/or Elsweyr. :D
    Edited by Smaxx on February 2, 2016 8:37AM
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1/3 of ESO's normal Zone is still = 1 Normal WoW Zone, so it's not too bad (1 Normal ESO Zone = 3 WoW Zones combined). The difference is only that ESO's Zones offer way more content, so that's a big +. I have no doubt that TG DLC will have a lot of new content.

As for the original content, it was hardly rushed. Mournhold and Elden Root look great, even though they were probably designed 5+ years ago. The technology at ZOS is evolving all the time, so it's easier for them to create better looking cities. Hell the Art for Orsinium was perhaps done before ESO was even released.
    Edited by Bloodfang on February 2, 2016 3:09PM