Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "ESO – The Year Ahead"

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
ZOS_JessicaFolsom
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the blog article ESO – The Year Ahead. Read this special message by ESO Game Director Matt Firor to learn what is in store for ESO in 2016!
Jessica Folsom
Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
Staff Post
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "PTS in early February" -Nice. But when will we hear more determinated date?
    Say "on ESO Live", Say "on ESO Live" please
    Edited by Cinbri on January 12, 2016 4:45PM
  • ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    other features we are working on include scrolling combat text (which will go live with the Thieves Guild DLC in Q1), character nameplates,

Please PLEASE ensure this is 100% optional, and give everyone the option to -not- let others see their character nameplates.

And I really hope that you guys won't neglect the importance of the visual response in the game because of scrolling combat text. There are many of us here who're playing for the Elder Scrolls Experience, and I want to see visually on screen what is going on with effects and abilities, and I have absolutely no desire to be forced into focusing on a bunch of text scrolling down the screen.
    Edited by ShadowHvo on January 12, 2016 4:51PM
    Nighren - The Shadow Striker
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

Want to roleplay in elder scrolls online? Check out eso-rp.com
  • Bloody-Goodbyes
    Bloody-Goodbyes
    ✭✭✭
    What is a character nameplate exactly?
    BLOODY-GOODBYES | BLOODY-HELLOS | BLOODY-AGAIN
    The Order of Magnus | Royal Bank of Tamriel | Made In Canada | Bad Luck Charms
  • ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is a character nameplate exactly?

A floating plate above your head displaying the characters name.

The difference between that and our current "nameplates", is that our current nameplates only shows up when you hover over your target. Normal, ordinary MMO nameplates (Like the ones they're talking about) are nameplates that are fixed above all characters heads, no matter the guy you target.

Aka, if you have 20 people on screen, all those 20 people will have a big fat plate above their heads displaying their names, and it moves with them.

... I don't want them, and here is why:
    s10m69.jpg
    Screenshot is stolen from google, but as a former wow player I can 100% confirm this is how it looks like.
    Edited by ShadowHvo on January 12, 2016 4:58PM
    Nighren - The Shadow Striker
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

Want to roleplay in elder scrolls online? Check out eso-rp.com
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Forum explosion in 3...2...1...
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos...i can not tell you what this means to me and a large portion of player base in sure. Please continue to give us future plans and current projects. Matter of fact I really wish you would keep players informed more over time instead of one massive write-up of plans. There are a few other small things (like templar charge...still) that I hope you are planning and wish you would give insight to. The write up you just posted has cemented my dedication and my wife's for this next year. My only complaint about the champion system is and will remain STOP GEAR GATING US, we are not playing a grind MMO. The small grind that's is needed is the grind to get new and interesting gear sets. I do not like outleveling old content like DSA, trials, craglorn, or the idea of outleveling wrothgar. Gear gating post level fifty through champion points takes away from theorycrafting due to not having as many options available. It also reduces the headache for you to not have to give more powerful gear, but more OPTIONS, that is what theorycrafting is, and that is what this game was about in the first year, when v16 was introduced, our options fell out the window, and forced us to regrind for gear we already grinded for...very off putting for a large majority of players...thank you for this write up and please continue to give us updates for the best mmorpg on the market! Maybe a few buddies will come back who I haven't seen in months!
  • Kwivur
    Kwivur
    ✭✭✭✭
    I demand a re-roll
  • strikeback1247
    strikeback1247
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awww I was hoping that the vet removal was coming in Q1 :(
    P.A.W.S. - Positively Against Wild Sasquatches - NO TO BIGFOOT!
  • petraeus1
    petraeus1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Though I understand the difficulties with Justice PvP, I can't help to be disappointed. It was innovative, it was cool, it was something that would make ESO stand apart, it seemed as if you were already so far developing it. I would have loved it if it was only in one or two DLC zones with battle-leveling, have a lore-friendly reason why towns there needed player guards, have it limited that way. But hey. Maybe a year from now you'll look back at the work you guys did on it and reconsider! :wink:
    Edited by petraeus1 on January 12, 2016 5:07PM
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    ShadowHvo wrote: »
    other features we are working on include scrolling combat text (which will go live with the Thieves Guild DLC in Q1), character nameplates,

Please PLEASE ensure this is 100% optional, and give everyone the option to -not- let others see their character nameplates.

And I really hope that you guys won't neglect the importance of the visual response in the game because of scrolling combat text. There are many of us here who're playing for the Elder Scrolls Experience, and I want to see visually on screen what is going on with effects and abilities, and I have absolutely no desire to be forced into focusing on a bunch of text scrolling down the screen.

Nameplates will have toggles so you can choose to turn them on or off. The same goes for scrolling combat text. (And both will be off by default.) We're dedicated to ensuring players have enough visual feedback during combat to play with SCT turned off.
    Jessica Folsom
    Staff Post
  • Legoless
    Legoless
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can we expect Thieves Guild info in January, or will it be closer to PTS release?
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Cinbri wrote: »

Unfortunately, we won't have the PTS date to share during this Friday's ESO Live, but you won't have to wait too long.
    Jessica Folsom
    Staff Post
  • ArvenAldmeri
    ArvenAldmeri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What will happen with those attribute points we got for veteran ranks?
    Magicka sorcerer from start until the end. Always. Through the good times and the bad, even now when its probably saddest PvE dps it has ever been.
    Even as an owner of one radiant apex mounts I am against radiant apex mounts and anything thats not obtainable by direct purchase.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    petraeus1 wrote: »
    Though I understand the difficulties with Justice PvP, I can't help to be disappointed. It was innovative, it was cool, it seemed as if you were already so far developing it. I would have loved it if it was only in one or two DLC zones with battle-leveling, have a lore-friendly reason why towns there needed player guards, have it limited that way. But hey.

I agree.

@ZOS_BrianWheeler With the nixxing of the justice system part 2, the PvP community now has no clue what you are working on in 2016 if anything? Care to provide some enlightenment beyond fixing lag.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• strikeback1247
    strikeback1247
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »

Unfortunately, we won't have the PTS date to share during this Friday's ESO Live, but you won't have to wait too long.

Sooooo... "soon" ?

:^)
    P.A.W.S. - Positively Against Wild Sasquatches - NO TO BIGFOOT!
  • Takllin
    Takllin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I'm happy we finally got a Road Ahead article, I'm a little disappointed in the lack of new information.

This seems to me, just a summary of everything you've said on other mediums throughout the past year, with a few tidbits of new good and bad information(TG update on PTS early February, LFGuild system and the bad of no Justice System PvP, no Spellcrafting this year, no reliable way to debug/fix Cyrodil issue).

I would have liked to hear more about your plans for the second half of the year, at least a teaser.

That said, I'm thankful for the Road Ahead, I liked it. I wished we had more communication/transparency especially from the people at the top.
    Jadokis - AD Redguard DK v16 AR 18
    Jàsènn - AD Orc Templar 47 AR 10
    Jessèn - AD Dunmer DK v16 AR 9 - Former Empress of Blackwater Blade

Tekllin - AD Altmer Sorcerer v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Tekklin - AD Bosmer Nightblade v16 AR 12 (Ret.)
    Jasenn - DC Imperial Templar v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Jasènn - DC Orc Sorcerer v16 AR 15 (Ret.)
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn was hoping the VR change was going in the next patch *sign*

Also see the PvP justice system is going away...Spell Crafting also on a back burner.

• Sausage
    Sausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hope zone chat does not come to Cyrodil. It just leads to organized zergs, Im having tons of more fun on console than I had on PC.
    Edited by Sausage on January 12, 2016 5:14PM
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed; will current VR characters have theirs removed? It seems like the only way to avoid a permanent advantage on the part of the established player base although I dread the raging that will come with it... ;)
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • Alorier
    Alorier
    ✭✭✭✭
    More stuff to make the game lag even more ! The end is nigh
  • Narmaeril
    Narmaeril
    ✭✭✭
    I am looking forward to the Thieves Guild DLC! I am excited about the new story and quests. Let's hear more about this soon :blush:

But you get a big sad face from me for.... :'(
    "Spellcrafting is on the back burner for now."
    I love the magic in Elder Scrolls and ESO... Can't wait for this new creative system for players. Please do hurry up, will you? :*

Greetings

[EU - PC] Amaraldane
    ... die deutschsprachige Rollenspiel-Gilde im Aldmeri-Dominion!
    ~ seit Februar 2014 ~

Join us on www.ESO-Rollenspiel.de!
    The german roleplay community. By roleplayers, for roleplayers.
  • ArvenAldmeri
    ArvenAldmeri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed; will current VR characters have theirs removed? It seems like the only way to avoid a permanent advantage on the part of the established player base although I dread the raging that will come with it... ;)

I am afraid though that if they remove those 15 points it is gonna destroy lot of builds. They should transfer those also to the champion system. Till CP 160 you gain one attribute per 10 CP.
    Magicka sorcerer from start until the end. Always. Through the good times and the bad, even now when its probably saddest PvE dps it has ever been.
    Even as an owner of one radiant apex mounts I am against radiant apex mounts and anything thats not obtainable by direct purchase.
  • Jakhajay
    Jakhajay
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still no words on buyable additional character slots :(

Disappointed with the announcement that PVP will not be coming to the Justice system, but I understand, it would be really hard (nigh impossible) to balance. Just look at what PVP balance has done to PVE gameplay and compund it.
    Sh'ira - One Eyed Tihm - Do'Mazar - Dar'Sol - Hazzahn - J'darr Sun-Arrow - Bishabi -J'manna - Narim Tollana - Abijah-Ra - Idhassi-Ko - Kajhe the Salty - Ti'lani - Sabhan-Dar - Palamai
    JakhajayAlt: Azala-Do - Saahni the Ohmes - S'aolla of the Darks - Zashima-La Ako'Zhajiit - Lo'Mai-Dro - Taheh-Do - Hrrula - Hatamira - Da'lai

Shield Anvil - Trake's Talons
    Knight Praefect - Knights of the Steel Claw

All Khajiit, All the time!
    For Elsweyr and her people!
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of it sounds great, looking forward to the DLCs! I'm actually kind of happy I'll have time to get one of my characters to VR16 before the change hits, since I've been working towards it at the moment.

I was kind of hoping appearance change would be sooner though, going to have to keep my poor purple Redguard covered up a bit longer it seems :'(.
    Longer term, expect to see information about systems like a character customization shop so you can change your character's gender, appearance, name, etc., player housing, and other systems that we'll announce in the future. We'll have much more information about all of these as the year progresses.
    Edited by ListerJMC on January 12, 2016 5:47PM
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    •We will not be adding in the previously discussed PvP component of the Justice System.

:disappointed:

Edited by Gidorick on January 12, 2016 5:29PM
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Divinius
    Divinius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We will not be adding in the previously discussed PvP component of the Justice System. We caveated this many times - as I said at the ESO QuakeCon presentation in 2014, it was always going to be very difficult making it fun, but not exploitable. When introducing new systems to the game, our number one goal is to make sure that we don't introduce new problems. Having players enforce justice on the criminal activity of other players has the potential to introduce imbalances and other issues that greatly outweigh any potential gameplay benefits. The game's central concept of "PvP in PvP areas and be safe in safe areas" needs to stay the way it is.

Thank you, thank you, for finally officially killing that horrible idea. I love you. :smiley:
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man an entire month of Jan with no fixes to pvp; and most of Feb as well...plus magicka dk still being awful... The wait between patches is becoming to long
    Edited by Xsorus on January 12, 2016 5:39PM
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a shame Spellcrafting is being pushed off towards next year (or later) as I think it would help in making every class more equal in their ability to perform every role. Plus, when it was explained how it would work it sounded really interesting and exciting.

I kind of wish you would have mentioned something along the lines of "instanced PvP arenas", which is something I really feel is missing from the game. You know, like a matchmaking system that pairs you up against a random team in a 12v12 Capture the Sweetroll, or some other kind of team based mode.
    Currently PvP (regardless of server issues) is nothing but "biggest zerg rules" and it has been that way as long as I can remember (something which is currently an even bigger issue due to AoE caps, etc.).
    I actually dislike Cyrodiil a lot, which is a shame because I always wanted the sort of "Alliance vs. Alliance vs. Alliance" to work, but when it is all about being part of the alliance with the most players and biggest zergs then it diminishes the whole thing (GW2 was the same way when I last played it), plus if you are a solo player without a group you are usually f**ked.
    I think giving PvPers the choice between several types of PvP is always good to keep the game interesting, though world PvP outside of Cyrodiil can obviously never be a thing due to the alliance phasing.

Sidenote: The ~9 months between Nov 2014 and August 2015 was a pretty significant content draught for ESO, which will hopefully never happen again now that you are on track to releasing big content batches quarterly.

I can't wait to see what the Thieves Guild in the 2nd era will be like!
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • Arthur_Spoonfondle
    Arthur_Spoonfondle
    ✭✭✭✭
    With the passing of the months and years the disappointment, in Zenimax's handling and development of ESO, grows.
  • Lettigall
    Lettigall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Class and build balancing should have been placed somewhere in that thread, hope it's not been looked as minor issue from ZOS.
    Some men just want to watch the world burn... I just want a cold beer!