Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why do I take damage when a mob dies???

spainchaudub17_ESO
I was in IC, up on a platform and some of my party are down below killing mobs. Each time a mob died I had 4g more damage to my armor. Why?
  • SleepyTroll
    SleepyTroll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in IC, up on a platform and some of my party are down below killing mobs. Each time a mob died I had 4g more damage to my armor. Why?

xp is what degrades armor. ZOS's system for armor degradation is very basic. How many times an enemy hits you doesn't matter if you hit them doesn't matter, if you get experience it matters.
  • NadiusMaximus
    NadiusMaximus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh of course. Makes perfect sense. Pft wtf.
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭

It actually does make sense, if you think about things in terms of fairness...If you only take damage when you get hit, tanks would pay huge repair bills all the time and dps & healers would pay significantly less. This isn't really fair when everyone is contributing to the completion of group content, so instead, ZOS made XP the primary determining factor of when your armor degrades.

If you don't want to take damage for hits you aren't taking, then you can always leave your party while not actively fighting. But if you are going to get the XP and the loot, you should also have to pay the repair bill.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    empathy
  • NadiusMaximus
    NadiusMaximus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allyhoo811 wrote: »

It actually does make sense, if you think about things in terms of fairness...If you only take damage when you get hit, tanks would pay huge repair bills all the time and dps & healers would pay significantly less. This isn't really fair when everyone is contributing to the completion of group content, so instead, ZOS made XP the primary determining factor of when your armor degrades.

If you don't want to take damage for hits you aren't taking, then you can always leave your party while not actively fighting. But if you are going to get the XP and the loot, you should also have to pay the repair bill.

That tanks bills are the price he pays to be a tank. The mage s bill is the price he pays for doing more damage than the tank. Figure 1 gold for every 1k damage taken. Something, I don't know, like that.

Everything equals out.

You want to not take damage and live, pay me.
    You want to deal DPS and be squishy.,pay me.
    Wanna do both, pay me.
    Oh, you do neither, Templar, pay me anyway.
    Edited by NadiusMaximus on October 26, 2015 5:40AM
  • Artemisshrikes
    Artemisshrikes
    ✭✭✭
    some mobs have a damage effect after they die like flame atronachs
    VR 16 Dragonknight Sarenvog (AD, Former Emperor)
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    That tanks bills are the price he pays to be a tank. The mage s bill is the price he pays for doing more damage than the tank. Figure 1 gold for every 1k damage taken. Something, I don't know, like that.

Everything equals out.

You want to not take damage and live, pay me.
    You want to deal DPS and be squishy.,pay me.
    Wanna do both, pay me.
    Oh, you do neither, Templar, pay me anyway.

Not sure I follow your logic, but sure...ZOS definitely should have designed the game in such a way that the least popular role (i.e. tank) also has to pay a higher repair bill than the squishes he/she is protecting. But of course, everyone gets equal loot and equal XP...That makes total sense :smiley:

And no, I don't play a tank, I play a squishy healer :wink:
    Edited by Allyhoo811 on October 26, 2015 6:20AM
  • spainchaudub17_ESO
    OK. XP = damage. It makes sense as the damage occurred just after each mob died. Thanks.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK. XP = damage. It makes sense as the damage occurred just after each mob died. Thanks.

The main reason we even have damage in the game is to function as a gold sink to curb inflation. Figure its about a 30% tax if you vendor to NPCs everything you loot.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"