Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Summoned creatures unsummoned on weapon switch

jdminton
jdminton
Is anyone else experiencing this issue for the first time today? I use one of my weapon ability bars for things like summoning clannfear and Winged Twilight as I move around and then swap over to the backup weapon for combat related spells when in combat. That action now unsummons both creatures leaving me alone. Why would this be happening?
  • Rajajshka
    Rajajshka
    ✭✭✭
    They have to be on both bars for them not to unsummon.
  • jdminton
    jdminton
    That is new then because it worked for me prior to this weekend. Also, it is not correct. Why would summoned creatures go away because you switched weapons?
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jdminton wrote: »
    That is new then because it worked for me prior to this weekend. Also, it is not correct. Why would summoned creatures go away because you switched weapons?

If you are referring to the sorcerer summoned pets then they are classed as togglable skills. Toggles need to be on both bars to remain toggled when you switch bars, if they aren't then they toggle-off when you switch to a bar where the skill is absent. If you are referring to the NB summoned creatures then I have no idea sorry.
    PC | EU
  • jdminton
    jdminton
    Like I said, it was working a couple days ago. Maybe that was something different for a few days after the server work, but it was working for me. I had just gotten to weapon swapping with this character so I have no idea what it was like before that.

But what is the point in having the summoned creatures go away if you switch weapons? That doesn't make sense as far as gameplay is concerned. Spell casters are at a significant disadvantage if the summoned creatures disappear because they have to use a spell on the other ability bar. My other character uses ardent flame abilities and switches weapons without the fires going out.

I'm not saying you're wrong, of course, just that it is bad game development if that is intentional.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like I said, it was working a couple days ago. Maybe that was something different for a few days after the server work, but it was working for me. I had just gotten to weapon swapping with this character so I have no idea what it was like before that.

But what is the point in having the summoned creatures go away if you switch weapons? That doesn't make sense as far as gameplay is concerned. Spell casters are at a significant disadvantage if the summoned creatures disappear because they have to use a spell on the other ability bar. My other character uses ardent flame abilities and switches weapons without the fires going out.

I'm not saying you're wrong, of course, just that it is bad game development if that is intentional.

Sorc pets have always been toggles and toggles have always worked this way. What you experienced can only be a bug. I agree that sorc pets are annoying to use because they take up 2 slots each but people argue that if they weren't they would be op. They add max magicka, tank, do a fair bit of damage and heal you on dispell. Sorcs with pets can have 46k magicka in pvp, they need to have a drawback.
    PC | EU
  • jdminton
    jdminton
    I agree they could have a drawback. But I think it would be more reasonable to reduce their duration or health instead of having them not available when you switch. As sic-fi as all this is, it bugs me when this type of thing happens that doesn't fit. I was trying to keep non-combat and combat spells on separate ability bars for ease of use in combat without having to keep going back to the skills bar. I guess I'll have to find a different way. Thanks for the help!
  • Nirnrot
    Nirnrot
    ✭✭✭
    I agree they could have a drawback. But I think it would be more reasonable to reduce their duration or health instead of having them not available when you switch. As sic-fi as all this is, it bugs me when this type of thing happens that doesn't fit. I was trying to keep non-combat and combat spells on separate ability bars for ease of use in combat without having to keep going back to the skills bar. I guess I'll have to find a different way. Thanks for the help!

Sounds like me when I first figured it out. I was perplexed as to why I couldn't have my summon when I switched bars, but just like everything else in TESO, you learn to play around it. Although now I know that if they were not a toggle, they would be way overpowered. I think it's a good balance.. I just wish they made the Summoned Pets scale to your Stamina/Weapon Power if that is higher than your magicka. I was rolling around with a bow and a clanfear for a while and loved it, but as you level up and the difference in your stats and build become more apparent, it just doesn't work anymore. Hope that changes soon.
  • Belidos
    Belidos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It couldn't have worked that way a couple of days ago because it's never worked that way. You probably had the pets on both bars and didn't realise it.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do yourself a favour and just drop them. Taking up two slots when a sorc has so many awesome abilities is sacrilege.

But Yeh, it never worked just on 1 bar before.

Always been toggle.