Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Talking about Bind on Pick up (Again)

• Zilch
    Zilch
    ✭✭✭
    Zilch wrote: »
    I would assume many things in the game are BoP, because Zenimax is of the belief that making gear harder to get for each individual player (random item + random trait + random armor type + lowsy drop rates = bad), makes people invest more time in the game and end up playing for a longer period of time.

They're afraid of people getting the gear too fast and end up being bored of the game.

I would personally love more things to be BoE, not only to help the economy, but it would also provide a feel of freedom for the players, as they are not forced into doing things, they don't wanna do, to get new interesting gear.

The development team probably does intend for that effect and I have to wonder if it works for them or if people find the carrot too unappetizing to chase.

Short story:

I was hoping to achieve either the Draugr Heritage set or the Leeching Plate set for the use with a Sanctum group where I thought the healing was a bit too low.

I found very few people to do vICP with and even some of the groups that did get together would fail. I managed to get a bunch of medium armor set pieces for my efforts. I don't really care to do this dungeon since it hasn't paid out with anything that I am interested in.

In the same period of time I put in effort to grinding dolmens and would invite my friends to join me if the Titan boss, which drops the armor I was after, spawned. Dolmen are easy enough to do, decent experience, and eventually, because of bind on equip status of set items, I was able to coax more people into doing them with me. I didn't get a single piece to drop for myself, but have the whole set because I was able to buy it from the people who were nice enough to help me.

Perhaps I am no longer doing dolmens and that may go some distance in driving home the point that items should be bind on pickup for the purpose of long term interest in the game. My issue with that notion comes from my experience with Imperial City Prison. For all of that dungeons challenge and for all of the cool bind on pickup gear it has, so few people care to do that dungeon to the point that I can't regularly go in there. Maybe bind on pickup was intended to make the dungeon interesting for a longer period of time, but because of bind on pickup players have even less of an incentive to go in that place. I guess the opposite holds true of dolmens. People had absolutely no reason to drop what they were doing, travel a non-homed campaign in Cyrodiil, and defeat a dolmen boss, other than helping me out and earning 300k for their efforts.

This is the exact problem with the current item system.

There are tons of sets which are really interesting, but the chances of getting a full set of what you are looking for, or all of them for that matter, are so low, that it in the end leaves one with a feeling of frustration. Then add in the fact, that they can roll 8 different traits.

I've done vWGT a decent amount of times, and I barely have anything to show for it. I think I've gotten 2-3 item drops, in the 10+ runs I've done.

I don't mind the fact that "you have to earn your gear", or what ever people call it for justifying their luck, but I do not believe that basing a loot system filled with RNG, with more RNG and on top of that, Bind on Pickup, is a smart way to do it. Many people probably end up feeling like they are getting nothing out of their time invested, atleast I know I do.

And don't even get me started on the ridicoulus RNG regarding monster shoulders!!

ESO needs more BoE, not less.
    Edited by Zilch on October 30, 2015 3:25PM
    It's time for an overhaul of the current loot system!
    Implement a Token-System, so people get rewarded for their time invested!
    RNG^RNG is both tedious and undesirable!
  • AGrz5585
    AGrz5585
    ✭✭✭
    I'm all for making sets BoE from past DLC when a new DLC comes out
  • abhimat1999rwb17_ESO
    I really don't like their mentality of making most of the gear BoP just coz they don't have enough content and want us to farm for gear until next patch.

Been a few posts about this topic and still waiting for a developer to comment.
    Edited by abhimat1999rwb17_ESO on October 30, 2015 7:28PM
    Tookey - AD Sorceror
  • Garwulf
    Garwulf
    ✭✭✭
    Pointless to whine about this game , its non existent economy, its "non' Lag or its leveling system.
    I find it hard to believe that even one person at ZoS plays the game let alone worries about the game experience.

Move alone nothing to see....
  • CtrlAltDlt
    CtrlAltDlt
    ✭✭✭
    BOP is stupid.. I rather buy the pieces I need from people with better luck.
    PC NA - jeazzy

stamblade outnumbered pvp vol 1. youtu.be/h1ONYfpAJJ8
    Stamblade outbumbered pvp vol 2. No cheese youtu.be/rN4_aRVMvWw
  • WebBull
    WebBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP is BoE, PvE should be BoE.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Garwulf wrote: »
    Pointless to whine about this game , its non existent economy, its "non' Lag or its leveling system.
    I find it hard to believe that even one person at ZoS plays the game let alone worries about the game experience.

Move alone nothing to see....

What do you mean? @ZOS_RichLambert said that he sets aside an hour for himself to play the game every day.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd think the response from this thread alone and all the topics would make them change their minds, @ZOS_GinaBruno any word on why there is such a massive increase on BoP totally ruining PvE players?
    #MOREORBS
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    AGrz5585 wrote: »

I was going to post something like this.

Right now the IC sets are all the new hotness. I think it's perfectly reasonable, for now, to make them really hard to get, behind difficult content, and BoP. Players who enjoy the grind and reward will get it. One or two DLCs down the road, people will be chasing the newest item. Then switch out the old content to BoE and nerf the content a bit.
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    AGrz5585 wrote: »

I was going to post something like this.

Right now the IC sets are all the new hotness. I think it's perfectly reasonable, for now, to make them really hard to get, behind difficult content, and BoP. Players who enjoy the grind and reward will get it. One or two DLCs down the road, people will be chasing the newest item. Then switch out the old content to BoE and nerf the content a bit.

You know, there is some kinda difference between hard to get and ridiculous grind. I mean, I don't mind, I do no need any of the new sets as long as there is no new trial. Plus I have a good group to do the dungeons in speedrun times. So I'll get my sets complete at some point while doing the dungeons every now and then. But there is so many people already struggling with finishing the dungeons, and then they get even more punished by having a low chance of dropping a set item with a *** random trait. This is completely ridiculous.

And I do not believe that the DLC is gonna sell less if they make the items (besides maelstrom weapons) bind on equip. I think it would even help to get more players do the content, because they know they can monetize it ingame. The game runs on money, otherwise you have to farm the mats, upgrademats, runes, flowers and ingredients yourself for everything you need. And most people do not want to spend weeks in doing that just to be able to play halfway competitive. People prefer to be able to do the content and then make some use of the things they drop there instead of having to repeat the content hundreds of time.

People are fed up with all the grind this game is forcing them to do to be able to enjoy the game. And I think ZoS is about to lose a lot of people because of that.

And for once, PvEers and PvPers are in the same boat.

@ZOS_GinaBruno Can we please have an answer on that? Please try to work together with us on stuff like this.. It's not only better for us players, but will also help you guys.
    Edited by Wollust on October 31, 2015 4:02PM
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    double post
    Edited by Wollust on October 31, 2015 4:01PM
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • Wycks
    Wycks
    ✭✭✭✭
    With all the new games on the immediate horizons it's mindless of ZOS to think that making gear hard to get circa 10 years ago is currently a viable business model.

I'm not saying gear has to be handed over, but players need to see a reasonable return for time invested, be able to experiment with builds and generally have more fun.

Personally I have completely given up trying new builds because its impossible to afford/grind and I think 99.9% of the player-base is in the same boat.

But whats even worse is that I still can't even get IC jewelry or craft a main set because of the ridiculous costs.

#clueless
    Edited by Wycks on October 31, 2015 4:15PM
    The numbers thing is always going to be there, but it’s more down to player skill and there are ways through ability choice to configure a group to be stronger vs. large groups of people. - BRAIN WHEELER - 2012 - LOL
  • reclaimervii.sierra117ub17_ESO
    Y knot aske me 4 money ',:^()
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    With all the new games on the immediate horizons it's mindless of ZOS to think that making gear hard to get circa 10 years ago is currently a viable business model.

I'm not saying gear has to be handed over, but players need to see a reasonable return for time invested, be able to experiment with builds and generally have more fun.

Personally I have completely given up trying new builds because its impossible to afford/grind and I think 99.9% of the player-base is in the same boat.

But whats even worse is that I still can't even get IC jewelry or craft a main set because of the ridiculous costs.

#clueless

That's a good point. There are plenty of games out there and if ESO didn't have such an enjoyable flavor or combat, then players may go to other games just because of the itemization in ESO being really bad. But that is what we get from developers who are fans of Diablo 3.
    Edited by Personofsecrets on October 31, 2015 9:17PM
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm all for BoP, with the way battle leveling and CPs are changing the die hard players deserve some form of upper edge and BoP is it.....
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • MikeB
    MikeB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The grind in this game for gear is absurd, dropped sets should be BoE not BoP. Fist you have to pray the pieces you want drop, then you pray they drop in the right weigh (light, med, heavy) and then you pray it has the right trait. I've done over 50 runs of CoH and the monster helm has only dropped twice, and not for me. I've done over 500 vet dungeon runs and have 2 helmets and both have crappy traits.
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirDopey wrote: »
    I'm all for BoP, with the way battle leveling and CPs are changing the die hard players deserve some form of upper edge and BoP is it.....
    You're missing the point. It's not about having an upper edge and guess what all the best in slot come from crafted gear apart from the masters weapons I asked to stay bind on pickup.

The whole bind on pick up in a solo arena just baffles me to no end @ZOS_GinaBruno can we please get any word on this? @ZOS_richlambert
    #MOREORBS
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nifty2g wrote: »
    You're missing the point. It's not about having an upper edge and guess what all the best in slot come from crafted gear apart from the masters weapons I asked to stay bind on pickup.

The whole bind on pick up in a solo arena just baffles me to no end @ZOS_GinaBruno can we please get any word on this? @ZOS_richlambert

No, I'm not missing the point at all, you're having a massive cry (2 threads in one day, pretty sure thats spamming) because you won't be able to sell the sets you pick up.... having missed any points.

Sure, a large number of the new sets are BoP, but they are also introducing 3 new styles so there's going to be plenty of new content for you to farm and sell while also providing a ever so slight advantage to the more frequent experienced players who will be picking more of the gear up....

Oh, and not to be the bearer of bad news but the amount of threads/discussions that there have been on the PTS forums without any changes being made suggests your crying is going to fall on deaf ears.....
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nifty2g wrote: »

No, I'm not missing the point at all, you're having a massive cry (2 threads in one day, pretty sure thats spamming) because you won't be able to sell the sets you pick up.... having missed any points.

Sure, a large number of the new sets are BoP, but they are also introducing 3 new styles so there's going to be plenty of new content for you to farm and sell while also providing a ever so slight advantage to the more frequent experienced players who will be picking more of the gear up....

Oh, and not to be the bearer of bad news but the amount of threads/discussions that there have been on the PTS forums without any changes being made suggests your crying is going to fall on deaf ears.....
    @SirDopey One was for PTS, since PTS is now over I moved it to General Discussion.
    Personally, I'm fine with gold I've got all the stuff I need, all the gear I need so I won't be upgrading anything until next major update.

Having an upper edge in a soon to be B2P environment if this keeps up is not exactly healthy for obvious reasons, and to further the argument, when stuff like this happens Gold Farming websites tend to come back and make even more money than before since they will be the highest source of getting your gold as currently in game sources are quickly dying down. I also hope you realise all the top end gear is craftable so there's not exactly an upper edge to be had. The only gear that should be BoP is the Master Weapons and some other gear from MA. Which I've already stated in the OP, but having everything BoP like it currently is just leads to issues.

Anyway can a mod lock this thread seeing as I've moved it to the general discussion. pls and ty
    Edited by Nifty2g on November 2, 2015 5:26AM
    #MOREORBS