Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Awesome News!!! 64 Bit Client Confirmed!!!

Publius_Scipio
Publius_Scipio
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I don't know if you guys have had a chance to absorb all the news today regarding Orsinium DLC, but on the special Twitch stream ZOS had today Rich Lambert quickly mentioned that a 64 Bit Mac client is currently in the works!

Edit: Also mention that gamepad support for Mac come with the 64 Bit client.
Edited by Publius_Scipio on October 6, 2015 2:04AM
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, Chris has already mentioned the ongoing WIP on a 64-bit client some time ago. B)

What's even more awesome is the work on a new renderer utilizing OpenGL 4.1, hopefully bringing FaceFX finally to the Mac client. <3
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Chris has already mentioned the ongoing WIP on a 64-bit client some time ago. B)

What's even more awesome is the work on a new renderer utilizing OpenGL 4.1, hopefully bringing FaceFX finally to the Mac client. <3

I wonder if ESO will see a slight graphics and performance boost with 64 Bit client. If it allows more RAM use I don't see why it can't pump out more on the screen. Or at the very least run even more smooth.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For what it's worth, the biggest boost in graphics performance will very likely come form switching to OGL 4.1. Chris has talked about being able to render the ground in only one pass, then there's all kinds of variable and driver optimizations etc. It will add up, but any gain in performance might as well be eaten up again to some extend by new shinies and eye candy, I guess.

One of the biggest misconceptions about 64-bit memory models is that processes that use them will be noticeably faster per se. Not so:
    • while there are more (and wider) registers available, the code needs to be optimized to take advantage of them, if it is optimizable in the first place. This happens mostly in the domain of the compiler.
    • the same is true about using 64-bit-mode SIMD CPU instructions
    • modern operating systems do a lot of dynamic disk buffering/caching by themselves anyway, so there's no reason for any process not to discard unused data (like textures). Any 64-bit process that allocates more memory than is actually needed at any given time will eventually have disastrous effects on overall system performance.
    But exceptions, a.k.a. crashes to desktop, due to reaching hard memory boundaries, will be a thing of the past. ;)
  • Wolfster
    Wolfster
    ✭✭✭

Pixel shading would be great, too.
  • Wolfster
    Wolfster
    ✭✭✭
    There should be some performance gained just from the switch to 64 bit, but it's probably only in the order of maybe 10% - or 2-4 frames per second for most people. You're absolutely right that the open gl upgrade will be far more significant.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @KhajitFurTrader

Can't speak for the MAC version, but on the PC OpenGL rendering calls are already implemented in the current client and have been for a while.
    shades.gif

Edited by SirAndy on October 6, 2015 10:04PM
  • Hyperplexed
    Hyperplexed
    ✭✭
    @SirAndy

You should read this article... Mac games are always developed with OpenGL if they are native. Even when they are not native (EA titles usually are built over a cider engine) the DirectX functions must be translated to OpenGL, through Cider/Wine.

The thing is that for whatever reason (probably licenses, or because the market is smaller, so the effort is not as big) ESO Mac Client doesnt have OpenGL 4.1 implemented yet.

Mac OS X has its own OpenGL libraries since 10.1 (something like 15 years ago or so)
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Have they fixed WGT for mac yet too? I am too scared to try it again with my group until I have confirmation... lol. I was on PTS today too, and I am still having issues, when I use my gap closer, being unable to use skills for a while, which in PvP is obviously even more annoying, because it often results in my death :D ... My boyfriend plays on PC and doesn't have this issue, leading me to believe that this is a mac issue also?
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • Hyperplexed
    Hyperplexed
    ✭✭
    there's no WGT fix yet... I'm gonna leave the PTS downloading tonight, and see if I can get a group to try it tomorrow on the PTS... I dont expect it to be fixed though...
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »

Can't speak for the MAC version, but on the PC OpenGL rendering calls are already implemented in the current client and have been for a while.
    shades.gif

Since the ESO clients share a common code base across all platforms, the OGL renderer can be found in both Windows and OS X clients (afaik even the PS4 is faintly OGL-ish, while XBone leans on D3D, ofc). Thing is, back when delopment started, only Open GL 2.1 was feature-complete on OS X 10.6. Switching to OGL 4.1 will require at least OS X 10.9 and a Mac with a supported GC.

Apple has been (and still is) taking some flak for insisting to write their own drivers, which leads to delayed implementation of current OGL versions and features, quirky drivers, and not the best optimization of performance. On the other hand, I'm glad I don't have to endure the hustle any more that I got from constantly up- and occasionally downgrading the multitude of Nvidia or ATI Windows drivers for the various graphics cards that I've owned in the past 20 years. B)
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now i wonder if i can convince the PC client to use OpenGL for rendering?
    idea.gif

I have worked with both OpenGL and DirectX a lot in the past and i have always liked OpenGL better.
    type.gif
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Now i wonder if i can convince the PC client to use OpenGL for rendering?
    idea.gif

Edit your UserSettings.txt in your profile's Documents / Elder Scrolls Online / live (or liveeu) folder. There's a line

SET GraphicsDriver.7

On Windows, the corresponding value can be either "D3D11", "D3D9", or "OPENGL" (try "OGL" if the latter doesn't work. Include the quotes in any case).

Don't expect too much from the Open GL renderer on Windows, quality-wise. It supports only 2.1 for the time being, and OGL driver optimization on Windows has always been like the red-headed step-child for ATI and Nvidia both, at least in the consumer/gamer line of drivers.
  • Marques
    Marques
    ✭✭✭
    This is good news and we were all aware of the development of the 64bit client for the Mac as it has been previously mentioned by Chris. It's potentially one of the best things that will happen in ESO on OS X.

Now I haven't read any official take on OpenGL 4.1 adoption. Has this been confirmed or at least discussed by staff somewhere?
  • batetolast1
    Does this mean 64 bit client is going to Mac only? What about Windows?
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

ESO shares a common code base for all supported platforms. Changes of a magnitude like utilizing a 64-bit memory and binary model are thus likely to occur on all platforms simultaneously.
  • stevenbennett_ESO
    stevenbennett_ESO
    ✭✭✭

ESO shares a common code base for all supported platforms. Changes of a magnitude like utilizing a 64-bit memory and binary model are thus likely to occur on all platforms simultaneously.

I'm pretty sure the Console clients are already 64 bit. The Windows and Mac client are likely to switch over to 64 bit at the same time, however. We've mainly heard about it more here in the Mac forum because there are a number of more important improvements tied to the 64 bit client, that impact Mac users more than PC users (OpenGL 4.1, Controller support, fewer memory limits…).

I'm crossing my fingers for more news on this next month after Orsinium has been released…
  • chris.dillman
    chris.dillman
    ✭✭✭
    So it is looking like OSX 10.11 uses 200-300 MBs less memory when running ESO.

This could reduce crash frequency.

Anyone that gives it a try please report back.

-- ESO -- Lead Mac Programmer...
    Staff Post