Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Molag Kena Crashing

• RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Fixed an issue that was causing your game to crash after the Imperial City update, specifically on Mac OS X v10.11."
    Ah, perhaps, perhaps…
    I'll test tomorrow.
    n the meantime, have you tried to set the particle system sliders to their respective minimum? Just a shot in the dark, I keep hearing that crashes in this encounter may be caused by excessive use of lightning.
    I've tested with all setting on minimum, and I can avoid the crash on the first lightning spinning attack if I am neat the border of the arena and if I don't look at the impact. But with exactly the same configuration, I can't avoid the second crash.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Delsskia wrote: »
    Yeah, I had ALL settings on minimum for 2 of my crashes.
    Ok, it's rather not related to memory then. If it should turn out to be a driver issue, I can imagine that it'd take some time to code around it.
  • radicalb21
    radicalb21
    ✭✭✭
    Way to go ZOS. The issue here is that a good portion of the community that plays on the mac platform has been having issues with crashes on the Molag Kena fight for over three weeks now and three incremental patches cycles and still no fix for the issues. This was a problem even on the PTS Server prior to the IC patch going to live servers. So technically this problem has been around for almost two months. It was never fixed on the PTS and is now on the Live server. Now you go and fix a crash in OS X 10.11 which hasn't officially been released by Apple and you fix the low res models of senche mounts. You can't possibly expect me to believe those had priority over the Molag Kena crash. I for one would expect ZOS to have fixed this by now as half the community the MAC side that is has been more than patient. Right now I would say that most MAC users would consider this a slap in the face.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    radicalb21 wrote: »
    Now you go and fix a crash in OS X 10.11 which hasn't officially been released by Apple and you fix the low res models of senche mounts. You can't possibly expect me to believe those had priority over the Molag Kena crash. I for one would expect ZOS to have fixed this by now as half the community the MAC side that is has been more than patient.

First off, clearing up the issue with the game not properly starting in 10.11 was necessary, because OS X El Capitan will officially launch in 9 days, and there are always those who want to adopt new OS versions asap, against better judgement. ;) It was probably easily fixable as well, since the workaround for this issue was setting the value of an environment variable to 0. Set this constant from 1 to 0 in the source, boom, done. So it's best to get this off the table now.

Fixing the senche texture LOD was very likely easily fixable as well. The same had happened in the past with horse textures (search for it here in this forum), so they knew right where to look and what to do.

Regarding priority: I have no doubt at all that the Molag Kena issue has a very high, if not the highest priority. The thing is, highest priority doesn't necessarily mean a quick solution. If it had a solution that was easy to find and quick to code, it would've been done already. But it's not. Does this mean that they're not absolutely doing anything in their power to identify the issue and work on a fix? No. Sometimes, things aren't simple.
  • Saddiq
    Saddiq
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't noticed any in-game mentions of the Mac issue, such as groups clarifying when they form that no Macs are allowed on WGT. Has anyone seen this in-game or are we Macs so few that no one's even noticed?
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is only a few Mac user, I think.
    But sometime, when someone ask me some help for the tower and I said that I cannot finish the dungeon, some people ask me if I am on Mac.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Saddiq wrote: »
    I haven't noticed any in-game mentions of the Mac issue, such as groups clarifying when they form that no Macs are allowed on WGT. Has anyone seen this in-game or are we Macs so few that no one's even noticed?
    You have to consider that the percentage of Mac users in the player population is very likely rather small. It surly is big enough so that tapping the market pays off, but looking for marketshare numbers, the highest I found was 13.4% in Q3/2014 in the US. But not all Mac users are gamers, too. ;)

In addition, the overall percentage of players running the Whitegold Tower is probably rather small as well. Multiply this with the percentage of Mac users, and the number is very likely too small to make an impact on the whole.

I certainly do not want to play down the issue, I know how aggravating a reproducible crash can be, especially when trying to play with friends in a group encounter. That's why I believe that behind the scenes, the work on a fix for this is continuing.

I've been playing on the Mac since I got my first iMac, in 2007 (been playing on PCs since 1988). The "gaming situation" back then was rather grim, Steam was just starting with a very small portfolio, there were a few ports by Aspyr (Civ III FTW), only Blizzard was at large with WoW. Gaming on the Mac has come a very long way by then, the available games have increased a thousandfold, and then some. ZOS was absolutely right to tap into the Mac market, because it has been constantly growing all the time.
  • Saddiq
    Saddiq
    ✭✭✭
    Hehe, I remember the Civ III Mac days. That was slim pickins.

Yeah, if the numbers are that low than that explains why zone chat hasn't brought it up yet.

Would really like to start cracking on WGT, already zone chat says 'experienced players only' when forming WGT pugs. Hate to fall behind but at least I figured out all the pre-Kena mechanics so I'll only be rusty on Kena when the Mac fix finally comes through.
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm terrified to even try this dungeon again to see whether it still crashes for me! 3 times now it has happened repeatedly and it has wasted the time of my group who were unable to complete the dungeon without me (being the healer) This issue is really really frustrating for me. I feel slightly cheated, having paid for this DLC, the dungeons being one of the main reasons that I was so excited for it :neutral:
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • Archire
    Archire
    We should try and form a group of people who can't finish WGT, that way we can get experience on the first bosses without damaging the runs of those who aim to finish the dungeon. :p
    "We commend to Aetherius and thee, Auri-El Blessed Eagle, the soul of the beloved before us. May she find eternal light and warmth in Your blessing, and may she be welcomed into the home from which she has been so long denied."
    —Altmer saying

Arcariel - Altmer Sorcerer - Tank
    Dominii - Altmer Templar - Healer
    Braylinn - Altmer Nightblade - DPS
    Calandriel - Altmer Sorcerer - DPS
    Aldmeri Dominion - North America

Grievance - Family, Honor & Loyalty
  • DearLady
    DearLady
    ✭✭
    Lol that's actually a great idea! if anyone ever wants to run through it in ep I'm down. I heal or dps. DearLady is my username. :p that way when we all crash we at least know what's going on.
  • Hyperplexed
    Hyperplexed
    ✭✭
    yeah feel free to add me if you need a tank on EP, @Hyperplexed

that way we can rant together! =(
    Edited by Hyperplexed on September 21, 2015 10:37PM
  • Hootnannius
    Hootnannius
    ✭✭
    According to today's patch notes: "Fixed an issue that was causing your game to crash after the Imperial City update, specifically on Mac OS X v10.11."

Does this mean Molag Kena is fixed? I don't want to inconvenience three other people on a dungeon run, if I'm not going to be able to do the final boss.

Please let us know.
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like I've said, I'll test it today. I hope it's good, but even a crash-fixing for the other crash is good (fifteen crash in four hour today, again…).
  • Hyperplexed
    Hyperplexed
    ✭✭
    Well, considering I'm not on 10.11, I see no reason for me to test it...
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And… no, still crashing during the second spinning attack.

Furthermore, I miss the completion achievement, the non death AND the timer with this stupid crash. But I got a head, thanks to my team.
    Edited by RoyJade on September 22, 2015 9:14PM
  • Archire
    Archire
    Its arguably reason to ask for a partial refund, or some sort of discount to the ESO Plus membership until fixed. #daydreaming
    "We commend to Aetherius and thee, Auri-El Blessed Eagle, the soul of the beloved before us. May she find eternal light and warmth in Your blessing, and may she be welcomed into the home from which she has been so long denied."
    —Altmer saying

• Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭
    From Patch Notes:

Dungeons & Group Content
    General
    You will now need to defeat all bosses within an encounter before receiving jewelry item sets.

Does this apply to WGT? Frankly if this *** isn't fixed by the time my sub is up, I won't be paying. Since I can't play the new content, why am I paying them for it?

#fixyershit
    -Jeth
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jewelry item set only drop on final boss, and the final boss of the WGT is alone.
    ZOS have clarified this post : before the maj, you can drop more than one ring on multiple final boss, like the Pellingrade in the sewer ; you kill the first, drop a jewelry piece and then kill the second and drop a second piece. It's no more possible.
  • Elara_Northwind
    Elara_Northwind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I give up :neutral:
    Sorcerer, Templar, Wolf Collector, Housing Addict!

GM of Salted Wings Tavern and Salted Wings Housing 🏠🌻

'A House is Built with Boards and Beams, a Home is Built with Love and Dreams'

Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/c/ElaraNorthwind
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Hey all,

We understand and appreciate the frustration regarding the Molag Kena crash. Chris has been working hard to get it resolved. The process for what seems like a simple bug does occasionally take time on the back end before it shows up on the live servers. Things have to be tested fully to ensure it doesn't break anything else, and that they are in fact a FIX not just a temporary solution.

So far we do see that a resolution has been put in place and should be making its way to the live servers in an upcoming patch. We are unable to provide an ETA on that, as it depends on a number of factors, but if it passes all of its checks along the way it should be resolved soon.

Thank you again for your patience!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Saddiq
    Saddiq
    ✭✭✭
    Nice, thanks for the open communication half-way through instead of only at the end. Much appreciated.
  • Hyperplexed
    Hyperplexed
    ✭✭
    yeah, thanks for giving us some feedback on the issue, its greatly appreciated. However, I do hope that this fix is implemented as soon as possible, as it is very frustating to not be able to do one of the most important aspects for me (dungeons) from the IC content.

I shall patiently wait!
  • Archire
    Archire
    ZOS_MollyH wrote: »
    Hey all,

We understand and appreciate the frustration regarding the Molag Kena crash. Chris has been working hard to get it resolved. The process for what seems like a simple bug does occasionally take time on the back end before it shows up on the live servers. Things have to be tested fully to ensure it doesn't break anything else, and that they are in fact a FIX not just a temporary solution.

So far we do see that a resolution has been put in place and should be making its way to the live servers in an upcoming patch. We are unable to provide an ETA on that, as it depends on a number of factors, but if it passes all of its checks along the way it should be resolved soon.

Thank you again for your patience!

Thank you so much for the feedback! We really appreciate it! :)
    —Altmer saying

• RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, thanks for the feedback !
  • Hyperplexed
    Hyperplexed
    ✭✭
    and today's vet pledge is... *drumroll*

Deadmines! (oh wait no, different MMO...)

*rolleyes*
  • Rutyshacklford
    Rutyshacklford
    Soul Shriven
    Really find it unfair that you have White Gold Tower as the vet pledge still, when not 100% of the users that are able to play it, CANNOT.

I have a solution around this everyone. Find a group of people willing to carry you, enter the dungeon and crash. let the other 3 people beat molag kena for you and voila you beat her and get the loot!

congrats on not letting us get the full experience ZOS! at least you're working on it. glass half full and all
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a solution around this everyone. Find a group of people willing to carry you, enter the dungeon and crash. let the other 3 people beat molag kena for you and voila you beat her and get the loot!

It's working for the loot. Not for the dungeon achievement or for the daily, because you need to be here when the boss die. I've tried.
  • Hyperplexed
    Hyperplexed
    ✭✭
    and its not easy to be carried when you're either the tank or healer (I've tried LOL)
  • DearLady
    DearLady
    ✭✭
    ^ the suggested above doesn't work. First time this happened to me I kept logging back -- not knowing this was a huge bug ---- and they eventually beat her without me, but there was no loot for me. I was able to come back and stay once they beat her I just couldn't last more than a few seconds without it crashing again while they were fighting. It really, really sucks.