Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What is the benefit of allocating additional Skill Points to an active crafting passive?

Shadowshire
Shadowshire
✭✭✭✭
If memory serves, a player's avatar begins with the first passive ability of each craft already unlocked and activated, so it is usable from the outset to begin crafting that product,, thus increasing the avatar's skill level for that craft.

As the skill level for a craft increases (or is it the character's level -?-) other passive abilities become "unlocked" one-by-one for that craft. The player can choose to allocate a Skill Point to "activate" an unlocked passive to obtain the benefit of it.

Question: what is the benefit of allocating another Skill Point to a passive which has already been unlocked and activated?

Obviously, allocating another Skill Point should "increase the ability of the character to use that craft" but any fool who can think at all knows that. What I want to know is the specific effect that allocating a Skill Point for an activated passive will have.

For example, my avatar has reach Level 10 Woodworking and the "(1/10" after the first passive is now "(2/10)". As far as I can determine, my avatar has the ability to craft with Oak now, as well as with Maple initially. However, for the first Woodworking passive (and for one or two others that I've activated) a "+" symbol currently preceeds its description.

I did not expect to see this, and cannot find any information as to whether it is deliberate -- not a bug -- and, if it is deliberate, what benefit would the avatar receive from allocating another point to that passive?

Thank-you for your time and attention to this query.

CONCLUSION

Merlin13KAGL has incorrectly correctly stated that a player can see the benefit that allocating another Skill Point will have by left-clicking on the plus symbol to read the description, then either affirm or cancel the choice. Although correct, the reply omits essential information.

When the player left-clicks the plus symbol, the software displays a dialog. It shows an image on the left with an arrow pointing to another image on the right. Below them is a query to confirm expending the Skill Point to upgrade the passive, or to cancel the decision instead. The player must put the mouse cursor on the image to the right of the arrow, then read the tooltip that is displayed to learn the benefit of upgrading the passive. The tooltip for the image to the left of the arrow displays the current benefit of the passive.

NOTES:

(1) If a crafting passive is available initially by default, and after a locked passive is unlocked, then its tooltip only discloses the current benefit of the active passive.

(2) The tooltips for passives that were initially available by default never disclose anything else, only the most recently-added benefit. (Bethesda should add to the tooltip the craft's Skill Level at which another Skill Point may be allocated to upgrade the benefit.)

(3) The tooltips for passives that were initially locked disclose the craft's Skill Level (AKA "Inspiration") at which another Skill Point may be allocated to upgrade the benefit. But they do not describe the benefit that will be obtained by upgrading it. The player must wait until a plus symbol appears to the left of the displayed image of the passive (see above). The plus symbol appears only while at least one Skill Point is available, and the player's character has accumulated enough experience with that craft to benefit from upgrading.

Updated on January 30, 2016, to correct the original remarks in this Conclusion. My apologies to anyone who was misinformed by the previous comments.

Edited by Shadowshire on January 30, 2016 11:56PM
--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi

Best Answers

• myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't think I can give you a short answer. Each passive you unlock does something. Every point you add into that passive improves it. Makes it more powerful / higher level / more effective.

Long answer follow the link!

http://tamrieljournal.com/crafting-and-professions/
    Answer ✓
  • HebrewHatchet
    HebrewHatchet
    ✭✭✭
    Like you said, it allows you to craft with different, higher level materials to make higher level armor/weapons.

Why would you want to spend points in this?

Besides the obvious answer (to craft higher level gear), you want to put points into these passives because they unlock higher level crafting writs. In case you don't know, crafting writs are daily mini missions that require you to make some armor or weapons and reward you with random rewards.

Why would you want to unlock higher level writs?

Although higher level crafting writs cost more to complete (higher quantity of a higher priced material), they give you the best odds of acquiring rare and expensive items. For example, the three equipment crafting skill lines give you the best chances at glass motif fragments, and if you have spent the necessary skill points (and reached the necessary character level), Craglorn survey reports (which is the fastest way to collect fortified and potent nirncrux).

Similarly, putting points into recipe improvement allows you to do higher level provisioning writs which give the best odds for getting Psyjic Ambrosia recipe fragments.

Unfortunately enchanting and alchemy writs don't yield any super rare items (unless you count Kuta found in enchanting surveys).
    [PS4 NA]
    PSN: HebrewHatchet
    Answer ✓
  • dreamfarer
    dreamfarer
    ✭✭✭
    There's an extremely simple method of testing this: reset your skill points, and don't spend any of them. Your crafting skill will still be at 50 (or wherever it was) and you'll be back to 1/10 for the basic crafting skill (with a "+" beside it).

Then go and try to craft something which requires the higher materials.

This should take about 5 minutes to test and if you can prove it, you'll have helped the devs find a very weird bug, or if not you'll be able to see what the point of putting skill points into a passive is.
    Answer ✓
  • Tallowby
    Tallowby
    ✭✭✭
    I made a crafters aid... link in my sig.... May aid in answering some of your questions.
    NEED THE HELP OF A 9 TRAIT MASTER CRAFTER ON XBOX ONE NA - ALL STYLES LIST ---> My known Styles
    Tallowby's Crafter Aid ...... CONSOLE - How to run a DPS Test

XBOX ONE NA - Guild The OTG (accepting applications)
    Arden Sul | Bosmer | Nightblade | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter |
    Tallowby | Imperial | Templar | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter | EVERY STYLE KNOWN!
    Freya Bolt | Altmer | Sorcerer | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
    Wacko Smacko | Imperial | Dragon Knight | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In addition to what has been already said, the level of your primary skill also determines what kind of resources will your hireling bring you (when you unlock the hireling passive).

If you leave primary skill at 1/10, he will be bringing you maple. If you raise it to 2/10, he will be bringing you oak etc.
    Edited by Sharee on September 22, 2015 8:46PM
  • HebrewHatchet
    HebrewHatchet
    ✭✭✭
    @Sharee do you have a better chance of getting purple and gold upgrade materials from hirelings when you have a higher level primary skill?
    [PS4 NA]
    PSN: HebrewHatchet
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you read the passive tooltips, they're actually fairly self explanatory.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sharee do you have a better chance of getting purple and gold upgrade materials from hirelings when you have a higher level primary skill?

I don't think so, but that is just a gut feeling.
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    In addition to what has been already said, the level of your primary skill also determines what kind of resources will your hireling bring you (when you unlock the hireling passive).

If you leave primary skill at 1/10, he will be bringing you maple. If you raise it to 2/10, he will be bringing you oak etc.

EDIT: Just to be clear about this: ... In my observation, the player is not required to add a Skill Point to incease a specific passive, for example, from "(1/10") to "(2/10)". That changes occasionally when the craft's skill experience level -- shown as a giant digit(s) at the top of the page for each craft -- reaches a higher level. The craft's skill experience level at which a passive's level increments depends upon the specific craft and/or upon the specific passive.

EDIT: For woodworking, apparently the first increment is when the skill experience level reaches 10. For alchemy, the first increment is at a lower level -- I can't recall which -- and, if memory serves, the level at which each alchemy passive increments is not the same for all of them.

It is unclear to me whether activating an unlocked passive at a higher skill experience level than when it became unlocked will start that passive's level indicator at a higher value than "(1/X")" where X is the maximum number of possible increments.

As far as I know, adding a Skill Point does not increment a passive's level. But yes, when it increases, a hireling will send the crafting resource appropriate for the incremented value.
    Edited by Shadowshire on September 24, 2015 4:01PM

• Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It unlocks the option for the increased level, but you most definitely have to spend the skillpoint(s) to get access to it.

It works the same as other skills, in that regard.

For instance, you can have 50 skillpoints available, but you won't be allowed to unlock 10/10 until your crafting skill has reached a certain level.

Reaching that level alone does not advance the passive.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The first passive determines the level of materials you can use. Even if you max out the woodworking level, you will be unable to use anything better than maple until you allocate a skill point to the appropriate passive. It doesn't happen automatically.

Every passive has a clear description. I'm not sure why you're confused about their purpose.
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't think I can give you a short answer. Each passive you unlock does something. Every point you add into that passive improves it. Makes it more powerful / higher level / more effective.

To quote the Tamriel Journal section to which you referred, under the Item Improvement topic for Woodworking, you state:

"Based on how many Resins you use, your chance to successfully improve an item increases. Improving items is not risk-free, though. If you fail to improve an item, it will be destroyed. You can choose to use between one and five Resins. By default your chance to improve an item is 20%. This chance can be improved by using more Resins and by investing skill points in the woodworking skill line. You can completely eliminate the chance of failure by using the max amount of Resins. (emphasis added) "

Okay, I suppose that's the answer for the Woodworking craft and the first passive which is also called "Woodworking". What allocating Skill Points to the other Woodworking passives will do, I suppose that one just takes the chance that it will be worthwhile. The same uncertainty remains for all of the other crafts as well.

• Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Read the tooltips, OP. There is nothing uncertain about what they do, unless your tooltips are bugged and not showing.

Each passive of each crafting line indicates what the current and next point (if you attempt to upgrade) will do.

Earn it.

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like you said, it allows you to craft with different, higher level materials to make higher level armor/weapons.

Why would you want to spend points in this?

Besides the obvious answer (to craft higher level gear), you want to put points into these passives because they unlock higher level crafting writs. In case you don't know, crafting writs are daily mini missions that require you to make some armor or weapons and reward you with random rewards.

Why would you want to unlock higher level writs?

Although higher level crafting writs cost more to complete (higher quantity of a higher priced material), they give you the best odds of acquiring rare and expensive items. For example, the three equipment crafting skill lines give you the best chances at glass motif fragments, and if you have spent the necessary skill points (and reached the necessary character level), Craglorn survey reports (which is the fastest way to collect fortified and potent nirncrux).

Similarly, putting points into recipe improvement allows you to do higher level provisioning writs which give the best odds for getting Psyjic Ambrosia recipe fragments.

Unfortunately enchanting and alchemy writs don't yield any super rare items (unless you count Kuta found in enchanting surveys).

Thanks for your reply.

So far, all of the Crafting Writs for which my two avatars have certification have apparently been satisfied by making Level 1 bows, staves and/or shields (Woodworking) or by making Level 1 pieces of cloth or rawhide armor (Tailoring). In my experience, if I made a higher level Maple staff, for example, my avatar would not receive any more GP for it than if the staff was Level 1.

So far, the Crafting Writs themselves have not stated which Level that the items to be made must be. This has been true for Woodworking, Tailoring, Provisioning and Alchemy, and one may become certified in Enchanting, too. I don't plan for any character to be a Blacksmith -- I have had enough of that in other games, thanks ( :) ) I don't play TESO just for the crafting, or for trading items with the goal of getting rich.

My preference is to craft things which the character will need and use themselves and to trade or sell the surplus to pay the bills.

• dreamfarer
    dreamfarer
    ✭✭✭
    Just to be clear about this: ... In my observation, the player is not required to add a Skill Point to incease a specific passive, for example, from "(1/10") to "(2/10)". That changes occasionally when the craft's skill experience level -- shown as a giant digit(s) at the top of the page for each craft -- reaches a higher level. The craft's skill experience level at which a passive's level increments depends upon the specific craft and/or upon the specific passive.
    Your observation is in error there. Just straight up incorrect. You can level a craft from 1 to 50 and the first passive will remain at 1/10 the whole time. Only when you invest skill points in it will you get 2/10 or higher.

The other passives improve in the same manner. Leveling up the skill from 1 to 50 will unlock the ability to spend Skill points in them but until you actually spent the points you will see no benefit from them.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Okay, I suppose that's the answer for the Woodworking craft and the first passive which is also called "Woodworking". What allocating Skill Points to the other Woodworking passives will do, I suppose that one just takes the chance that it will be worthwhile. The same uncertainty remains for all of the other crafts as well.
    There is no uncertainty. Investing in the Woodworking passive allows you to use higher tier materials. Maple goes only to level 14, you need to invest a point to unlock Oak going up to 24, then another point and so on. It's the same with every craft.

Resins effectiveness is governed by a different passive: Resin Expertise.

Just... read the tooltips.
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    It unlocks the option for the increased level, but you most definitely have to spend the skillpoint(s) to get access to it. ....

That hasn't been my experience so far. When the passive Woodworking (1/10) changed to Woodworking (2/10), my avatar became able to craft bows, staves and shields from Oak up to his current character XP level (18). For example, he crafted a Level 18 Oak Lightning Staff which he enchanted with Petty Glyph of Shock, and it inflicts the amount of damage appropriate to such a Level 18 item. (Interestingly, a Level 18 steel sword inflicts the same amount of damage, aside from any added by enchanting it. He received one such sword as a quest reward although he has no use for it.)

In contrast, a crafted Maple staff will never have a Level higher than 14. Sometimes an avatar might loot a Level 15 Maple staff or be given one as a reward, but I've never seen one that has a level higher than that (also, we can only craft items that have a level which is an even number.)

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    dreamfarer wrote: »
    Just to be clear about this: ... In my observation, the player is not required to add a Skill Point to incease a specific passive, for example, from "(1/10") to "(2/10)". That changes occasionally when the craft's skill experience level -- shown as a giant digit(s) at the top of the page for each craft -- reaches a higher level. The craft's skill experience level at which a passive's level increments depends upon the specific craft and/or upon the specific passive.
    Your observation is in error there. Just straight up incorrect. You can level a craft from 1 to 50 and the first passive will remain at 1/10 the whole time. Only when you invest skill points in it will you get 2/10 or higher ....

When I wrote "in my observation" I could have written "in my experience" because, in fact one of my avatars has crafted a Level 18 Lightning Staff from Oak without allocating another Skill Point in the Woodworking passive (for the Woodworking craft).

The passive incremented from "(1/10)" to "(2/10" when his Woodcrafting Experience Level reached Level 10, and a "+" symbol now appears in front of it. Again, I haven't allocated any Skill Point to it (yet). But he has in fact been able to produce the staff as I have stated.

So that is why I asked this question: what specific benefit(s) does the avatar receive if the player allocates a Skill Point to an activated passive?

EDIT: Maybe what you assert was correct at some time before, and the effect of the increment has been changed in a subsequent patch. Or maybe you have just been assuming that since the "+" symbol accompanies the increment, then you must allocate a Skill Point to access Woodworking 2. Or maybe what I have done reflects a bug in the software. You decide.

EDIT: Apparently almost my entire reply was in error. :-(
    Edited by Shadowshire on September 25, 2015 2:15AM

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Read the tooltips, OP. There is nothing uncertain about what they do, unless your tooltips are bugged and not showing.

Each passive of each crafting line indicates what the current and next point (if you attempt to upgrade) will do.

Unless there is something that has escaped my notice, the tootips I've read do not disclose the benefit of adding a Skill Point to a crafting passive after it is alredy activated. The tooltip changed after the passive was activated by allocating a Skill Point to it (after it was unlocked), but it hasn't changed since.

Certainly, I will double-check that, but I don't believe the tooltip has changed since the passive was incremented. Believe me, I try my best to find the answers to such questions as this with every other source that is feasible. Asking a question in the forum or submitting an inquiry to TESO Support is a last resort.

Edited by Shadowshire on September 22, 2015 10:31PM

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I wrote "in my observation" I could have written "in my experience" because, in fact one of my avatars has crafted a Level 18 Lightning Staff from Oak without allocating another Skill Point in the Woodworking passive (for the Woodworking craft).

The passive incremented from "(1/10)" to "(2/10" when his Woodcrafting Experience Level reached Level 10, and a "+" symbol now appears in front of it. Again, I haven't allocated any Skill Point to it (yet). But he has in fact been able to produce the staff as I have stated.

You probably allocated a skill point to raise it from 1/10 to 2/10 and forgot you did (or clicked it by mistake).

Without manually allocating a point there, you will never be able to craft anything above maple. At the crafting table, all higher materials will appear red, and be unusable, regardless of how high your woodcrafting experience is.
    Uzc5g5c.jpg
    Edited by Sharee on September 23, 2015 6:45AM
  • timparr
    timparr
    Soul Shriven
    A note on writs - You won't get a higher level writ until you have unlocked the passive to be able to craft at that level. For example, you will only be asked to craft maple items in writs if your woodworking passive is just 1/10. When you spend the skill point to get 2/10 then the next writ will be for a second tier wood (can't remember what that was now...)

Advantages of higher level writs are that you get better rewards for cashing them in money/items/inspiration (much better at the top end)

Disadvantages are that you need to turn them in to a different location (which you may not have found yet) and that the mats generally cost more to get, especially if you are not adventuring in the areas they are found in. On the other hand, if you are adventuring in an area that now gives you Birch wood, you are not going to find Maple wood any more so it would then make sense to increase your wood passive so that the writs ask you to make birch items.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're making it harder than it needs to be. As @Sharee , @Rosveen , and @dreamfarer have also pointed out, you do not get the benefits until the passives are unlocked.

Every crafter here knows this from every Skillpoint reset/respec that's every taken place.

You likely had an existing writ from level 1 in your quest log when you placed an additional point in Woodworking, allowing you to make Oak items.

The writ remains valid until turn in or abandon. Subsequent writs will be for oak.

Unless there is something that has escaped my notice, the tootips I've read do not disclose the benefit of adding a Skill Point to a crafting passive after it is alredy activated. The tooltip changed after the passive was activated by allocating a Skill Point to it (after it was unlocked), but it hasn't changed since.

Certainly, I will double-check that, but I don't believe the tooltip has changed since the passive was incremented. Believe me, I try my best to find the answers to such questions as this with every other source that is feasible. Asking a question in the forum or submitting an inquiry to TESO Support is a last resort.
    When you add a skillpoint to a passive and confirm it, it goes to the next level.

Prior to that, you can hover over the existing passive - it will show you the current benefit.

If you click the plus sign beside, just as with morphs, it will show you what the upgraded passive would provide you, if you accept the change and burn the skill point.

You do not actually get the benefit until you spend the point, period.

If you are insistent your character works differently, then you have a bug exclusive to you and you alone. On that note, in your case only, there is no benefit to adding skillpoints to your crafting line, ever.

If you're convinced the skill line progresses on its own this way, then proceed as normal.

When you (don't) reach the next tier, you'll see.
    Edited by Merlin13KAGL on September 23, 2015 10:55AM

Earn it.

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wrote:
    There is no uncertainty. Investing in the Woodworking passive allows you to use higher tier materials. Maple goes only to level 14, you need to invest a point to unlock Oak going up to 24, then another point and so on. It's the same with every craft.

Resins effectiveness is governed by a different passive: Resin Expertise.

Just... read the tooltips.

For what it is worth: the tooltip always describes the current stage of the crafting passive.

It does NOT disclose the benefit that will be received from allocating another Skill Point to that passive. At least, that is the case for the passives which are unlocked and activated by default (i.e., at the time that an avatar is created).

The tooltips for default passives also do not disclose the experience level for the craft at which the next increment will be available. However, the tooltips for most, if not all, of the initially locked passives do disclose the experience level for the craft at which the next increment will be available (until, of course the increment reaches the maximum).

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Merlin13KAGL:

Thank-you for your long and detailed reply.
    .... As @Sharee , @Rosveen , and @dreamfarer have also pointed out, you do not get the benefits until the passives are unlocked.

Every crafter here knows this from every Skillpoint reset/respec that's every taken place.

The most likely reason for my assertion that it is not necessary to allocate a Skill Point to increment a passive is that I allocated a Skill Point to the default Woodworking passive at Woodworking 7 and subsequently forgot about it. I suppose that the tootip was changed at the time, too, and I looked at it. Since my avatar did not have Oak wood on hand, it didn't particularly matter until he found it in Deshaan, around which time he had reached Woodworking 10, quite a while after the passive "upgrade".
    .... You likely had an existing writ from level 1 in your quest log when you placed an additional point in Woodworking, allowing you to make Oak items. The writ remains valid until turn in or abandon. Subsequent writs will be for oak.

That might have been the case, and I have since noted the materials change in the Writs. As far as I know, however, having such a Writ doesn't affect the tooltip(s) for the corresponding crafting passive(s).

(edited for clarity) Unless there is something that has escaped my notice, the tootips I've read do not disclose the benefit of adding a Skill Point to a crafting passive until after it is already activated. The tooltip changed after the passive was activated by allocating a Skill Point to it (after it was unlocked), but it hasn't changed since. ....
    When you add a skillpoint to a passive and confirm it, it goes to the next level.

Prior to that, you can hover over the existing passive - it will show you the current benefit.

If you click the plus sign beside, just as with morphs, it will show you what the upgraded passive would provide you, if you accept the change and burn the skill point.

You do not actually get the benefit until you spend the point, period.

I agree with the first two statements and suppose that the third is correct, but the third is incorrect. When I was searching for information from the player UI as to the benefit of allocating a Skill Point to the Woodworking passive, I probably did not click the LMB on the plus symbol because I had not decided yet whether to allocate a Skill Point to it. I do recall hovering the mouse over the plus symbol to see whether it had a tooltip, and it doesn't.

Before I wrote the OP, I had made only one "upgrade" to each of the first two Alchemy passives. It probably did not occur to me at the time that I could click the LMB on the plus symbol to obtain information about what the upgrade would do. In context,

It is just a confirmation dialog that the player isn't making an input error. No description of the benefit of allocating the Skill Point is included in the dialog. Normally, I would expect a player to know the benefit that the upgrade would provide before they choose to click the plus symbol to effect the upgrade.

Which is to observe that a player does not have any information, from the game UI, as to the benefit of allocating another Skill Point for the next "upgrade" until even when the plus symbol is present for that passive. Then they can do as you describe to learn what benefit there will be. Doing as you describe does not disclose anything.

EDIT: deleted

The independent documentation about this matter that I've found appears to be seriously outdated, and it isn't produced by Bethesda or by Zenimax Online.

Again, thank you for your kind comments.
    Edited by Shadowshire on September 25, 2015 2:25AM

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @dreamfarer:

Thank-you for your replies.
    dreamfarer wrote: »
    There's an extremely simple method of testing this: reset your skill points, and don't spend any of them. Your crafting skill will still be at 50 (or wherever it was) and you'll be back to 1/10 for the basic crafting skill (with a "+" beside it). ....

Funny that you should mention it, because I decided to do that with one of my avatars (using the respec "script" from the Crown Store), because I wanted to change his primary weapon skill line, and reclaim Skill Points that I wasted from acting on outdated advice in a "player guide". The developers do more than fix bugs (the lowest priority, usually), they also change features as well as develop new content. So just about anything that anyone states about the game at any given time can become incorrect, incomplete, and/or misleading.

However, I didn't occur to me to craft anything with that avatar before I re-allocated his Skill Points. :-(

As I restored most of the Skill Points, as they had been allocated before, I paid particular attention to the Crafting skill lines (e.g., Clothing and Woodworking). I looked at the tootips for the default passives of the respective skill lines, and at the tooltips for passives which had not been unlocked, as well as what was shown after allocating a Skill Point to unlock some of them.

One thing that I discovered is that I had previously allocated a Skill Point to the default Woodworking passive when the experience level for that craft reached Level 7 -- then I forgot about doing so, because it only became relevant when that avatar began gathering Oak in Deshaan at Woodworking 10.

As I have stated before, the tooltips only describe the ability for the current increment of the passive.

EDIT: Merlin13KAGL has incorrectly stated that a player can see the benefit that allocating another Skill Point will have by left-clicking on the plus symbol to read the description, then either affirm or cancel the choice. That does not happen, the dialog merely confirms whether the player wants to commit allocation of the Skill Point. It would be better if the dialog did present the changed tooltip as it does for morphing.

EDIT: On the passives which were not activated by default: after unlocking, their respective tootips show the next experience level for the craft at which the next upgrade for that passive will become available. That should be added for the default passives, too. For them, the player does not know the craft's experience level that must be reached before the passive can be incremented.
    Edited by Shadowshire on September 25, 2015 1:46PM

• Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Merlin13KAGL @dreamfarer @Sharee et. alia

LONG & PHILOSOPHICAL :smile:

As to whether the TESO software which I am running has bugs that the TESO software you are running does not have, in theory, they should produce the same output from the same valid input.

Nonetheless, in practice it is possible that we will not encounter the same bug(s) even if we are using comparable hardware platforms. There are just too many possible differences between the respective computers, and the software is configured to operate according to the platform and other specifics of the computer on which it is installed.

Then add the context that the game is hosted on a server, and the TESO client on the players' computers is interacting with that server's TESO host software (as well as with the respective players) through the Internet often via our own LAN.

Accordingly, there is no certainty as to whether our experiences in the course of play will ever be entirely the same.

Frankly, it is amazing that it ever works at all!

That said, TESO is the buggiest game that I've played in a long time. I have to log-out and back in at least once an hour, and often the wisest recourse is to quit and run the Repair option on the Launcher UI. From time to time the software crashes and dumps me to the Launcher for no apparent reason. For what it is worth, I have reason to suspect that my ISP is "shaping" the traffic between my computer and the ZO megaserver (i.e., throttling my usage of the bandwidth).*

Some bugs are "ephemeral", i.e., the conditions under which they occur and/or the action(s) which the player did that produced them are difficult to identify completely. Sometimes a bug will occur and sometimes it won't, and often nobody knows why -- may never know why -- something happened which may never happen again.

In my experience, the most common bugs occur because an activity, such as unlocking a chest, was originally coded to work in a single-player context. The designer did not consider the possible situations in which one or more other solo players (i.e., not in a group) are also present, and interacting with the same NPCs and items. Situations also arise in which there are one or more solo players with one or more groups, as well as the possibility of multiple groups interacting with the same NPCs and items without any solo player present. Evidently, for many features, the developers adopted the functions which they had written for a prior single-player game(s), and have since been forced to spend more time and effort to adapt them for the TESO multiplayer context.
    * Please realize that I am not requesting technical support or advice from anyone reading this post!!!

Edited by Shadowshire on September 25, 2015 1:48PM