Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Creating a Healer

Mhylton44142
Mhylton44142
✭✭
I have 2 questions here, so please bear with me. I've always been a fan of DPS characters in every MMO I've ever played so naturally that's where my first character went, but one thing I've run into so far when trying to do group content is a lack of good healers. Out of the 8-9 dungeon runs I've done so far, only 1 had a good healer. I had the idea of creating a character to fulfill the healer role. My question is this: If I'm going to fill the role of healer in group content (which I only do on the weekends-rest of time is leveling), does it make more sense to level a magicka based templar healer or would a magicka based NB be a viable healer for dungeon? Does the resto staff on a magicka NB provide enough healing to be an adequate healer during dungeon runs? Thanks for your input. BTW, at the moment I am leaning towards the NB since I have so much fun with the class, but I'm willing to go with a templar if it means being a "better/stronger" healer.
Edited by Mhylton44142 on September 22, 2015 4:54PM
  • LameoveR
    LameoveR
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see only one question.

Templar healer is the best.
    Others will tell you blablabla that every class can heal bla bla if you get good equipment blabla and put champion points into blablabla.

• Mhylton44142
    Mhylton44142
    ✭✭
    LameoveR wrote: »
    I see only one question.

Second question is regarding the resto staff:

Does the resto staff on a magicka NB provide enough healing to be an adequate healer during dungeon runs?
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen viable NB healers, although never tried it myself. From what I have seen it takes a lot more skill to be a good NB healer, where being a Templar healer is simply just easier due to Breath of Life (there is no resto staff skill equivalent to that). Of course, Templars also have a few skills under their belt that can help DPS and buff them which also makes them easier to use.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • LameoveR
    LameoveR
    ✭✭✭✭
    NB has some ally healing ability morphs.
    Damaging enemies heals allies. So, it's more damage oriented.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Templars mainly bring breath of life and their ultimate to the healing table, and to a lesser extent repentance, purifying ritual, and channeled focus, though these are more situational. Those two are great for emergencies, but the resto staff has a lot of great skills too. You're also going to want to dig purge out of the aliance war skill line either way.

Templars are more tanky healers, they are able to watch and respond. They'll be easier for new healers.

NB healer will be part DPS while also needing to keep the heals up and sustain them with more focus on resource management. They are viable, but probably a lot more work.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    You CAN be a good healer with any class; however, as mentioned above, it is so much easier to be a good healer with a Templar. An average player can heal well with Templar...It takes a pretty skilled player to be as efficient with a healer of another class (and this comes from someone who's main is a Templar healer).

Also a lot of groups will only accept Templar healers, because they feel that Templar is "the healing class".

That said, I'm one of those people who feel like you should play what you enjoy. If you prefer playing NB, go for it.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templars are a support class, with a whole skill line dedicated to healing, alongside a lot of passives that goes to team mates. If you wish to be a healer, go with templar.

Nightblade healers can be good, and viable as healers for group dungeons, but they are not as supportive and much less preferred. Most healers are bad in this game, and among the worst are the ones from other classes, because they have less support abilities + they have to be more skilled to pull off a good healer. So if you choose to be a nightblade healer, expect to be rejected and not trusted, if you choose to run with random groups and pugs.

Also whatever class you choose, be prepared for very bad dps, very bad tanking, cries for Mystic Orbs, Elemental Drain, Siphon Spirit and stamina. If you choose not to be a templar, then you have to farm a master restoration staff to provide stamina to your team.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would say Templar is the best class if you want to be a healer.

However, I have a Mag NB Vamp that i just love to use. I use it mostly for DPS but I also consider myself a healer supporter.

My main weapon is a restro staff. I hit the enemy with my retro staff, and soon as the spell is done I heal, i do this over and over. Then I use my vamp drainage skill to stun the enemy, once they are stunned I go in for the kill with my Teleport striker. If that don't work then I cloak back out and start healing again, and then start spamming my Funnel health. Funnel Health deals damage and also heals you and a few of your teammates.

Since you like DPS I would definitely try the NB as a backup healer.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Anyolname
    Anyolname
    Benton, templar, light armor.
  • rb2001
    rb2001
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will heal you!

If you are on PC DC, I will save you.
  • Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭
    Anyolname wrote: »

My buddy runs this and can heal for days it seems like. He is only VR1 and rarely runs out of Magica to heal with. The biggest issue is keeping the mobs off him. The will run right by the person who started the fight for the healer in the back - constantly...
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Pyro117 wrote: »
    Anyolname wrote: »

My buddy runs this and can heal for days it seems like. He is only VR1 and rarely runs out of Magica to heal with. The biggest issue is keeping the mobs off him. The will run right by the person who started the fight for the healer in the back - constantly...

This shouldn't be happening as frequently as it sounds like it is for your groups? Is the tank not using a taunt? Or do you have multiple group members using taunts and causing the boss to become immune to taunts. Is your friend accidentally using a taunt?

The tank should be able to keep the boss and other more serious threats off the healer for the most part (excluding, of course, certain special boss mechanics that target people at random and the like). Because its hard too tank everything in ESO, the occasional add will target the healer, but for the most part as long as aggro is being effectively maintained the hard-hitters shouldn't be constantly attacking the healer.
  • HebrewHatchet
    HebrewHatchet
    ✭✭✭
    I run a DPS magicka sorcerer with gear and skills to heal if needed. Sorcerers, like nightblades, have no class heals so they rely on the healing staff. The only thing you need to worry about then is your magicka regen. If it is sufficiently high and you are good at resource management, then go for it, you'll do fine as a nightblade healer. Just remember that you have no real burst heal, but if I can do it as a sorc, you can do it as a NB.
    [PS4 NA]
    PSN: HebrewHatchet