Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is it possible to be successful in pve, pvp, trials, etc as a High Elf Dragon Knight?

XxRoyalHighnessxX
XxRoyalHighnessxX
Soul Shriven
I am level 10 as a high elf dragon knight, using a destructive fire staff and wearing heavy armor for the most part, as that is all I came across so far. I donʻt want to be a tank this time, at least not while soloing in pve till lvl 50. I have stopped playing as a tank with my vr1 imperial dragon knight. I realized I enjoy playing the Dragon Knight the most, however I will be magicka based for the first time. What type of armor should I be wearing while leveling? I plan on using staffs, destruction and perhaps a two handed weapon or another restoration staff on a second bar later at level 15. Any suggestions on What armor would benefit me the most, boons, enchants etc would be soo helpful. Im starting to wonder if I made some odd and off decisions that may lead nowhere since Iʻve been told dragon knights are for tanking. Also where would I put all my attribute points? It was a no brainer with the imperial but High Elf Im already invested in magic. Any suggestions would help.
Thank you

Best Answers

• lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    First of all, it's perfectly valid to create a dk firemage, even though dark elves might be slightly better for that.
    If you want to use staffs, you should focus on your magicka and spell damage. So get as much health as you need (depends on your skill in moving out of red circles) and invest the rest in magicka. Usefull crafted armour sets are Kargenac's Hope, Seducer, Torugs Pact, Magnus or Eyes of Mara (that you use mostly light armour should be obvious).
    Answer ✓
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure. its possible..But..

People will tell you "You are the tank."
    Destro Staff skills are all magicka based, so Light Armor passives work better with it than Heavy Armor.
    Resto staff is a good complement to the Destro, since it uses the same passives.
    You will almost NEVER be called the healer, as People will tell you "Thats a templar." Maybe off healer, if you are lucky.
    Seducer and Magnus GIft are best for this, with Eyes of Mara for healers.
    2H weapoins use Stamina and geit their Passives from MEDIUM armor.
    Stamina weapons hit like wet noodles if you build for max DPS with a destro staff, because your points are in Magicka, not Stam.
    Heavy armor is TANKING armor, but also helpful in AVA, but you loose all your casting passives, except 5pc set bonuses.
    Passives to decrease spell cost, and increase Magicka regen are important. Applies to class skills, weapon skills, armor skills Mage's Guild and Alliance War skills.
    You will ALWAYS be DPS, and weak DPS at that.

It IS possible to run a hybrid build, I do, (23/18/23), but while the utility of swapping back and forth between Stam and Magicka IS fun, you have to accept you will never be the hard hitter that a (64/0/0) or (0/0/64) build is.

Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
    Answer ✓
  • RoamingRiverElk
    RoamingRiverElk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are plenty of people who damage deal as DKs, and never tank on their characters. And that is perfectly fine. You absolutely don't need to tank on your DK if you don't find it fun.
    Altmer is a great race for a magicka DD DK. There are also lots of Dunmer magicka DKs.

The sets mentioned by lolo_01b16_ESO are good.

As to what you should be using while leveling up your character: I would use 5 pieces of light armor (infused on big pieces, divines on smaller ones), and 1 medium armor piece with the training trait, and one with 1 heavy armor piece with the training trait. This is for three reasons: 1) you never know how the game meta will change 2) undaunted passives will give you higher max stats when you are playing endgame content and have leveled up the undaunted skill line 3) in PvP you may still opt to use many armor pieces other than light armor even as a magicka DK focusing on high damage, depending on what kinds of groups you will be running with. Sharpened is generally a good trait for weapons when leveling, unless you want to use a training trait on it to level up the skill line faster.

Light armor is great for magicka regen/cost reduction which you need as a magicka DK, medium armor helps with stamina management, and heavy armor mostly provides passive damage mitigation in the form of armor/spell resistance rating, but it is really bad when it comes to resource regeneration (you may not have enough regeneration to keep continually using skills - or you may be forced to use drinks, which in turn makes you have less max magicka = less magicka damage you do per attack, less health = easier to burst you down, and less max stamina = smaller pool for defensive actions such as roll dodge and break free from CC + the Helping Hands passive DKs have restores stamina based on a percentage of your max stamina). In PvP, unless you are running with a zerg, you need to invest a bit / somewhat in stamina management too, or you will end up dying when you have been CCd a few times. Also, never underestimate the power of a well timed roll dodge in PvP.

When it comes to leveling up skill lines, as magicka DK I would make sure I will have leveled up at least destruction staff, restoration staff, and one-handed and shield. Bonus points for any additional weapon skill lines. Get the Lorebooks addon and collect all the lorebooks you find on your way in order to level up the Mages Guild skill line so you can get the Meteor ultimate. It's not always part of my magicka DK's builds, but it is a great ultimate and does have its uses.

For mundus stone, I would choose Atronach for increased magicka regen. In PvP, if you have too much magicka regen (meaning, you "never" run out of magicka), I would test The Ritual (10% more healing initiated), though there are other options too. For PvP, Dragon Blood is not really a skill to use anymore for healing, you pretty much need a restoration staff due to the recent nerfing of healing in Cyrodiil.

In the end, what will determine your success, if you choose Altmer for your DK, is your knowledge of active skills, skill passives, various armor/weapon sets available, and in PvP, the ability to read situations correctly. In order to be very good in PvP, you will need to be familiar with not only your own class, but also the skills and builds other classes will be using against you, so you can prepare for them already when you are planning the sets and skills you will be using, but also then react instantly by using the right counters to whatever the enemy is doing. [Edit: and Champion Points, unfortunately. You will need them. Hopefully ZOS will give people a good way of catching up in CP, they really do make a difference, don't believe those who will say they don't.]
    Edited by RoamingRiverElk on September 19, 2015 1:45PM
    Dalris Aalr - Magicka (Stamina) DK | Dalfish - Magicka Sorc | Dal Aalr - Magicka Warden | Dalrish - Mag/Stam NB | Irana Aalr - PvE Templar
    Answer ✓
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well best race is Dunmer, however Altmer can be jus as fun and is the second best option for magicka DK's.

Mundus = The Atronach
    Armor = lightarmor
    Weapons = Destruction staff, 2 1handed-swords with sharpened trait (Dual Wield provides a passive that will increase your spell power. You slot and use class skills on that bar, not Dual Wielding skills!)

Good sets for lowbie magicka builds to mix-match and level up with:
    Magnus 4 pieces.
    Seducer 5 pieces.
    Torugs Pact 2-3 pieces.
    Warlock 5 pieces (not craftable, but cheap at v1, good thing with this is, that the set comes with jewelry!).
    Answer ✓
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deltia did a magicka dps build for DK which looks pretty interesting. He also explains what gear you can use if you can't afford/obtain the higher end stuff - http://deltiasgaming.com/2014/11/30/shooting-star-eso-dragonknight-dps-build/
    Remember, you can always use these builds as templates and switch spells out for your own choice if you find them better.
    Answer ✓
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    Deltia did a magicka dps build for DK which looks pretty interesting. He also explains what gear you can use if you can't afford/obtain the higher end stuff - http://deltiasgaming.com/2014/11/30/shooting-star-eso-dragonknight-dps-build/
    Remember, you can always use these builds as templates and switch spells out for your own choice if you find them better.

OP is level 10 and this max-level build is already ancient and far from optimal today. As Deltia wrote on his site, it is not solo friendly, and that is pretty much the main content for a level 10 player.

However if the build is up to date with the newest patch, I totally agree with you about using these builds as templates, for the purpose of group content and pvp.
    Answer ✓
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I could find suggestions after the newest patch? Im trying a high elf templar almost to level 10. Everything I watch or read seems outdated. Im too busy to keep up with patches and changes. -_- I heard a lot of complaints about the recent changes with the imperial city dlc, but that isn't very useful to my new build etc

At level 10? Dude, I run around in 3 light, 2 medium and 2 heavy.. anything.... on any class.. from quest rewards, or get a guildie to make for you.. Green is best, because blue/purple/gold is a waste of crit mats while leveling.. That way, you level all your armor skills.

Use every kind of weapon, so you get them all to level 50. That way, if you need to respec at VR levels, you are not leveling skill lines. If you find mobs hard, use sword and board or resto staff. (Oh, and tell me where they are, because my leveling characters blow thru mobs on level) If easy, use 2H, desto staff or dual weild.

Telling you skills is pointless at level 10. YOu dont have enough unlocked. But keep one of each skill line on your bar. I usually have something like <Class skill, Aedric Spear line> , <Weapon using skill>, <Class skill, Dawn's Wrath> , <Soul Trap or morph>, <Class skill, Restoring Light line>. The goal again? to get those skills up tword 50 to make the morphs avail.

When you get to level 15, IMMEDIATELY manually equip another set of weapons and get used to weapon-swapping, load one bar with the above, the other with other unmorphed skills of the class and weapon lines that you want to use, until you get them ready to morph. You should never have any skill points not used. Put them in passives, put them in new skills, put them into morphs.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
    Answer ✓
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask a friend or friendly guildies to craft you 5 Seducer armor parts, 2 Torugs Pact armor parts 1 Torugs Pact flame staff.

*Provide them with 100 Jute, 20 Maple, 7 Emerald, 1 Carnelian, 8 Adamantite.

This is the most low-level friendly build for magicka users.
    Answer ✓
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure it is, I have one and I can run trials with it and do pvp (but that's a bit trickier when not in a group).

In some dungeons or other endgame content, you can even protect yourself with things like volatile armor, green dragon blood, magma ultimate or igneous shield if the healer is having trouble keeping everyone alive.

I have one bar single target for boss fights and 1 bar with aoe skills for the trash mobs, both with destruction staff.

Torug's pact + Seducer is a good combination of gear, as said so already by others.
    Edited by The Uninvited on September 22, 2015 10:32AM
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
    Answer ✓
  • XxRoyalHighnessxX
    XxRoyalHighnessxX
    Soul Shriven
    Thanx everyone. I hate not having a definite role. Dps sounds great but not if it's "not as hard hitting" or could reach better potentials if I start a new. When I was a full tank lvls 40 to 50 took so long, I would stay alive forever but would take super long to solo mobbs.

Appreciate it. =)
  • XxRoyalHighnessxX
    XxRoyalHighnessxX
    Soul Shriven

OP is level 10 and this max-level build is already ancient and far from optimal today. As Deltia wrote on his site, it is not solo friendly, and that is pretty much the main content for a level 10 player.

However if the build is up to date with the newest patch, I totally agree with you about using these builds as templates, for the purpose of group content and pvp.

Does anyone know where I could find suggestions after the newest patch? Im trying a high elf templar almost to level 10. Everything I watch or read seems outdated. Im too busy to keep up with patches and changes. -_- I heard a lot of complaints about the recent changes with the imperial city dlc, but that isn't very useful to my new build etc
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife has a high elf Templar, but it is a different playstyle. She survives longer (using puncturing sweep) but has less dps, where as I am squishy but with more dps (crushing shock/molten whip with medium attack weave).

Gear-wise, she uses the same stuff as me. A different class is all about knowing wich skill to use to get the best results.
    Edited by The Uninvited on September 22, 2015 10:55AM
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Altmer DK is perfectly fine for pve and for pvp I would choose Altmer over Dunmer for sure.

Dunmer will give 3% more fire damage but at the cost of 9% magicka regen and 1% max magicka.
    Altmer is probably the best overall choice for magicka builds.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Marrtha
    Marrtha
    ✭✭✭✭
    A DK fire mage type of character is perfectly fine. You should look into light armor though. The thing about PvE, apart from dealing damage, is all about dodging. So if you can move and are mobile enough, you can end up dealing more damage than a flavor of the month dd who decides to eat all the damage and knock backs. Good luck in pve though!
    Use @Marrtha when replying!
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As I wrote earlier in the thread:
    "Ask a friend or friendly guildies to craft you 5 Seducer armor parts, 2 Torugs Pact armor parts 1 Torugs Pact flame staff.

*Provide them with 100 Jute, 20 Maple, 7 Emerald, 1 Carnelian, 8 Adamantite.

This is the most low-level friendly build for magicka users. "
    Remember that you are level 10 with your DK and Templar, this build is best for levelling. The websites post endgame builds and they are never good for a low level who tries to level up - because v16 players do mostly group content, so they run out of resources and expect healers to provide them with magicka, health and stamina. The armor I suggested is craftable, and the main armor for many magicka users who level up.

Level up Destruction staff skills, get Force Shock and Impulse unlocked, those are the two main skills for many magicka dps.

Choose 1 shield skill and 1 healing skill from your class abilities, to support yourself and keep yourself alive, let the 3 other skills you slot be destruction staff ablities, to level it up as quickly as possible.
    Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on September 23, 2015 10:08AM