Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How are Argonians holding up with racials?

Oxkill
Oxkill
✭✭
Hello guys,
I'm a returning player, and I've been reading a lot about passives back in 1.6. I would REALLY love to play an Argonian without any regret, and I've been rolling a werewolf dragon knight tank (sword/shield and resto staff).

What's the situation with current the update? Are the racials better or is it just a lost cause?

I don't want to be a min/maxer, but I'd just want the possibility to do the best I can with what I have.
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Argonians racial passives still aren't much better, but the did improve slightly with the Imperial City patch:

•Amphibious: Increased the bonus Health, Magicka and Stamina restore upon consuming a potion to 2/5/8% from 2/4/6%.

•Argonian Resistance: Increased the maximum health bonus from this passive to 2/4/6 from 1/2/3.

•Quick to Mend: Increased the bonus healing received from this passive to 3/6/9 from 2/4/6.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So Argonians are still only for hardcore role players that want to be a lizard, and npcs that you get quests from or buy thing off of.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    So Argonians are still only for hardcore role players that want to be a lizard, and npcs that you get quests from or buy thing off of.

Pretty much, yeah :(
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't write Argonians off yet - we can still be great master crafters without any decent racial passives.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • Oxkill
    Oxkill
    ✭✭
    This is really, really sad. I guess I'll be playing Skyrim until something happens.

I really don't want to play with a character I don't like :(
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets just say that. Last night, in Teamspeak, i told a guild. "The Argonian racials dont do much, but the increased Poison Resist sure helps Werecreatures." Other than that.. Sigh....
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oxkill wrote: »
    This is really, really sad. I guess I'll be playing Skyrim until something happens.

Racials don't matter much unless you expect to enter endgame content, and be competitive with the best players.

If you are a casual gamer, you can have tons of fun and be welcomed among the roleplayers in ESO. There is no content in this game yet that excludes any races, given that you don't go for the high scores.
  • Oxkill
    Oxkill
    ✭✭

Racials don't matter much unless you expect to enter endgame content, and be competitive with the best players.

If you are a casual gamer, you can have tons of fun and be welcomed among the roleplayers in ESO. There is no content in this game yet that excludes any races, given that you don't go for the high scores.

Well, I feel kinda excluded, since I would also like to go for the endgame content. I enjoy roleplaying as a personal thing, building my character personality, but nothing more than that.

It's a real shame: I really like this game, but I don't want to be the last wheel only for my character's look, a mere preference. At least, I'd like some options for my race: I could even play another class, but I don't want to be stuck as a mediocre healer.

Sometimes, it seems to me that ZOS doesn't care about these things at all.
    Edited by Oxkill on September 16, 2015 6:17PM
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I feel kinda excluded, since I would also like to go for the endgame content. I enjoy roleplaying as a personal thing, building my character personality, but nothing more than that.

It's a real shame: I really like this game, but I don't want to be the last wheel only for my character's look, a mere preference. At least, I'd like some options for my race: I could even play another class, but I don't want to be stuck as a mediocre healer.

Oh dear, I think you misunderstood me.

You can still do endgame content with bad racial passives.
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭

This is correct. Unless you are someone who desires being at the top of the leaderboards, you don't really need to worry too much about racial passives. In the grand scheme of things, the benefits from the abilities are pretty small.

It's only when you are playing with the best of the best and trying to achieve the best possible times/scores/etc. that extreme min/max'ing matters a great deal.
  • Oxkill
    Oxkill
    ✭✭

I'm sorry, my mistake: I thought you were saiyng that Argonians were available ONLY for Roleplayers. I've read they'll be working on racials while preparing something for a race change service, and I hope it will be soon.

I don't care about the single number itself, I just want to avoid to get destroyed in pve/pvp for my race choice; this is my greatest fear. Lol
    Edited by Oxkill on September 16, 2015 8:50PM
  • Eas007
    Eas007
    ✭✭✭
    If you like argonian play argonian. I play a Nord dps, it works.
    United we stand, divided we fall. Shields as one!
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allyhoo811 wrote: »

This is correct. Unless you are someone who desires being at the top of the leaderboards, you don't really need to worry too much about racial passives. In the grand scheme of things, the benefits from the abilities are pretty small.

It's only when you are playing with the best of the best and trying to achieve the best possible times/scores/etc. that extreme min/max'ing matters a great deal.

Even then chances are you're not going to be playing a single character all of the time because builds/meta's change constantly and one race/class combo will not stay at the "top" forever.

As others here have said OP, just pick the race you want and play the game for fun. I have played some of the most un-optimal races/class combinations possible (Bosmer Magicka Sorcerer) and still had massive fun and completed content with it.

The only reason to min-max your race is to shave off those extra seconds in times for trials or to have that 10% better buff in PvP, both of which are pointless if not played by great player skills.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Jar_Ek
    Jar_Ek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argonian passives don't actually make you a better healer btw, esp. at end game. They make you a better tank, esp. with the right armour and CP spend.
  • Oxkill
    Oxkill
    ✭✭
    This is relief, guys, thank you. I even tried to get back to GW2, but I was spoiled so much by the atmosphere of ESO that was completely impossible for me. Haha!

This game has HUGE possibilities, I just hope it gets better and better with time.
  • LearnThis
    LearnThis
    ✭✭✭
    I too have wondered this. I have however created an Argonian magicka nightblade that I plan on using for fun. I know it is not much, but since the bonus healing is all around, I plan on being healed more than most others when stealing health. Although, I would like to see the numbers for how much a maxed out Argonian heals for from the nightblade skills compared to a maxed out high elf with their racial passives. No champion points though so it is a fair field.
    PSN: LearnThis
    Bosmer Nightblade (Master Crafting, everything researched)
    Dunmer Dragonknight
    Breton Nightblade
    Breton Mage
    Argonian Templar
    Norn Dragonknight
    High Elf Dragonknight

Champion Points are capped

~I have completed Cadwell's Silver six times and Gold four times... Please do not tell me about the experience of leveling.~
  • Kerioko
    Kerioko
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love my Argonian NB. They make awesome Sap Tanks if you focus on incoming heals and also hold their own as more than capable healers in the right hands. The potion passive is really nice if you are a tank with tripots, so you get the most bang for your buck!
    Dinosaur Chicken Nuggets - Argonian mNB Tank/Heals (PVP)
    Strawberry Semifreddo - Dunmer mSorc DPS // Sunny D-Light - Breton mTemp Heals
    Peanut Butter Sandwich - Orc sDK DPS // Kellogg's Frosted Flakes - Argonian mWard Tank/Heals (PVE)
    Cor-Leonis
    friendship - integrity - perseverance
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LearnThis wrote: »
    I too have wondered this. I have however created an Argonian magicka nightblade that I plan on using for fun. I know it is not much, but since the bonus healing is all around, I plan on being healed more than most others when stealing health. Although, I would like to see the numbers for how much a maxed out Argonian heals for from the nightblade skills compared to a maxed out high elf with their racial passives. No champion points though so it is a fair field.

@LearnThis

Umm..

I assembled a chart a while back. Dont think anything has changed.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qnXBpoRDQgqeXfZBXN-7cYVUH1m9ZnAZYZR9OweQW2g/edit#gid=0

You seem to be a bit mistaken on what the Argonian passives do.

The free one allows you to level up your skills in the Resto Staff line to 50 faster than other races. After that, just like the other free racials, its useless.

The others are:
    IN-COMING healing
    MAX HEALTH
    poison/disease resist
    WHEN DRINKING A POT increase regen on health, mag, sta
    swim speed.

Nothing in there about healing others.
  • LearnThis
    LearnThis
    ✭✭✭
    @Darlgon I know all the passives but maybe I did not understand the one about healing. So the healing is only incoming heals? I had checked with a few different people and the wording for it was that it was healing received, or so we thought. I know it says healing received but I was hoping it was also healing that you gave to yourself. So, are you saying it is just from other people? If so, then this race just became even more sad.
    Oh, not sure if that last comment was clarification or towards me, but I never mentioned healing anyone else.
    Edited by LearnThis on September 17, 2015 8:35PM
    Dunmer Dragonknight
    Breton Nightblade
    Breton Mage
    Argonian Templar
    Norn Dragonknight
    High Elf Dragonknight

~I have completed Cadwell's Silver six times and Gold four times... Please do not tell me about the experience of leveling.~
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Darlgon I know all the passives but maybe I did not understand the one about healing. So the healing is only incoming heals? I had checked with a few different people and the wording for it was that it was healing received, or so we thought. I know it says healing received but I was hoping it was also healing that you gave to yourself. So, are you saying it is just from other people? If so, then this race just became even more sad.
    Oh, not sure if that last comment was clarification or towards me, but I never mentioned healing anyone else.

Yeah.. it works on self-heals. Your comment:
    Although, I would like to see the numbers for how much a maxed out Argonian heals for from the nightblade skills compared to a maxed out high elf with their racial passives.

Made me think you were talking about outgoing healing, as you are talking max health and incoming healing vs max magicka and magicka regen. Those are not even apples to pineapples.
  • LearnThis
    LearnThis
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the confusion, I will try again. My thought is the Argonian have a bonus healing however the High Elves have increased magicka. With a higher magicka pool, would the High Elves receive more healing from the spell than an Argonian with the healing received bonus and a lower magicka pool?
    I hope that clarifies better. Thank you for responding by the way.
    Dunmer Dragonknight
    Breton Nightblade
    Breton Mage
    Argonian Templar
    Norn Dragonknight
    High Elf Dragonknight

• Oxkill
    Oxkill
    ✭✭
    Sorry for the confusion, I will try again. My thought is the Argonian have a bonus healing however the High Elves have increased magicka. With a higher magicka pool, would the High Elves receive more healing from the spell than an Argonian with the healing received bonus and a lower magicka pool?
    I hope that clarifies better. Thank you for responding by the way.

I was wondering something like that too.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If an Argonian and an Altmer have equal builds, mundus stone, skills slotted, home campaign and excluding their champion points player skills:

If a healer casts a healing spell that heals for 100hp, the Argonian will recieve 106hp from it while the Altmer will recieve 100hp.

I don't know wether an Argonian will be able to heal himself higher than an Altmer can heal himself. This leaves to be tested. I don't know any argonians templars I can test this with, who have the same home campaign and addons as I do.

• LearnThis
    LearnThis
    ✭✭✭
    The question that I asked is about self healing though based off of magicka pool. If an Argonian and Altmer are both nightblades using Funnel Health, who receives more self-healing? The skill is based off of damage so the Altmer does more damage and thus receives more healing. However, the Argonian receives a 9% bonus on his or her healing. Who receives more? Does the damage increase (more damage, more healing) from the Altmer account for more or less than the 9% bonus the Argonian will receive?
    Dunmer Dragonknight
    Breton Nightblade
    Breton Mage
    Argonian Templar
    Norn Dragonknight
    High Elf Dragonknight