The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Cyrodiil Tips for Sorcerer

danthedon4
Hey Guys,

I am a level 48 Sorcerer playing on PS4 and I am really struggling in Cyrodiil. I'm not sure if I have levelled up correctly or I am doing something wrong but I seem to just get thrashed. I want to be able to hold my own and have some input with my group.

Does anyone have any tips on what works best on my ability bar for Cyrodiil or any other advice? I was thinking of just abandoning my Sorcerer and starting a new character but I really enjoy the play style during the main game.

Thanks for reading :)

Best Answers

• ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Let's see...

- A few Sorcerer skills are almost mandatory, class defining skills that rarely miss in any build. These are Bolt Escape (either morph), Hardened Ward (unless you are a pet build, wich is the exception) and Crystal Fragments. Velocious Curse (again, other morph for pet builds) is used in almost every build since 1.6, too, simply because burst damage is so effective.
    - As a main healing ability, Healing Ward from the Restoration Staff skill line is by far the most powerful choice. Although, as long as you are battle levelled, Regeneration may still complement it.
    - And watch out that you don't clutter your bar full of toggles.

Aside from that, for a beginner, you should hear the same as any class... don't give up, learn animation cancelling, eventually join a guild or regular group and maybe start dueling (though admittedly, the last one could be difficult as of now on consoles ^^).

Here are two links to another forum user's guides and a short video to understand animation cancelling, should that be needed (though I do not know how different it behaves on consoles).

Surviving Cyrodiil - How to (hopefully) die less often
    Preparations for battle - How to create a decent build for Cyrodiil

Tutorial - Animation Canceling - Legend - The Elder Scrolls Online
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
    Answer ✓
  • Francescolg
    Francescolg
    ✭✭✭✭
    @danthedon4
    try a very easy way to spec, so that you put your most important spells on both bars (!) to learn them, that is:
    - Hardened Ward (keep it always up and spam it if in combat, 1 DD (direct damage) skill + 1 Ward (if sth. is shooting at you) and repeat.
    - Bolt Escape (also on both bars!)
    - Crystal Fragments (on both bars to learn how to detect the proc (when your hands start to glow blue and you can cast an instant spell, which btw is your strongest class weapon)
    - put what you like on the other slots.

Further suggestions:
    Destruction staff
    1 - Bolt Escape
    2 - Hardened Ward
    3 - Daedric Mine Field
    4 - Crushing Shock
    5 - Crystal Fragments

Restoration staff
    1 - Bolt Escape / Retreating Maneuvre
    2 - Hardened Ward / Healing Ward
    3 - Light Armor shield (Harness Magicka
    4 - Velocious Curse
    5 - Crystal Fragments

You basically spam Crushing Shock AND light/heavy attacks (mouse click weapon attack) and wait for your Crystal Fragments proc. Meanwhile (very important) you have to hold up Hardened Ward AT ALL COST, otherwise you'll be a free kill for everybody, specially Bow-Gankers and Gank-NBs.. With the above bars everything you do can proc your 5. Crystal Fragments, that is how you learn to use it.

You RELY on Crushing Shock, as it can interrupt other players and by some game-mechanics you'll get out MORE DMG, if you interrupt a player.
    Use Curse and Crushing Shock against Tanks/Chars who take no damage because they block most of the times. Such ooponents will be tricky, you'll need light attacks/curse/CS/mine field and maybe some Area Effect (Destro Staff AE, Lightning Storm, etc.) to deal with them, or a well placed CC.

Now the goodies: Healing Ward... The most powerful shield ig, if used correctly (lets say ONLY CAST IT under 50% life!). You have to develop a feeling for your absorb shields: you keep them up WHILE at the same time doing damage, nothing can really hurt you except some unluckily CC. You want to use a lot of instant spells, so that every spell has a high chance to proc your Crystal Fragments. Even your absorb shields proc it, also your teleports, so just use your "instant magic" and learn to recognize CF.

When you get attacked by a melee char, you can a) port away immediately (better 2 times!!) and then use your mine field, or you use Healing Ward and port. The secret to success lies in how you combine port (mobility), shields and Direct Damage (DDs) spells + Crystal Fragments. Remember to use Crushing Shock against every casting / channeling player, especially Templars, they don't like it, as you interrupt nearly ALL their "main spells"..
    It is pretty easy and inbalanced to play, you'll notice soon!
    Edited by Francescolg on July 30, 2015 6:37PM
    Answer ✓
  • danthedon4
    Thank you so much for your awesome replies.

I have changed my skill bar now to mirror above and I can see the benefit already. I have visited the shrine in Elden Root to reset my Morphs as a couple I had done wrong.

Your advice is really appreciated, thanks again guys :)
  • whodat2eso
    Try Not To Have Same Skills On Both Bars Dont Listen to him. Maybe Bolt escape Or Hadrned ward but to have 3 skills on both bars is plain noobish no offense
  • Jar_Ek
    Jar_Ek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't be a stamina sorcerer until zos give them some actually useful class morphs.
  • Sozzy
    Sozzy
    Do you guys not use Power Surge? Given how popular Rally is with two handers I thought it would be a neccesity.
    Erg- VR2 Orc DK DC Azura's Star
    Davesh- Level 26 Altmer Sorc DC Blackwater Blade
    PS4 EU
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sozzy wrote: »
    Do you guys not use Power Surge? Given how popular Rally is with two handers I thought it would be a neccesity.

On my Overload bar... won't use it in the next update most likely...
    You know why Rally is so popular, right? The damage buff is almost a secondary effect of that skill.

• CN_Daniel
    CN_Daniel
    ✭✭✭✭
    keep it simple hommie:

crushing shock > frag > entropy > inner light > streak

healing ward > hardened ward > mines (proxy det if you have it) > inner light > streak

Use soul assault as your anti DK ability and dawnbreaker as your AOE (combined with proxy)

This is a great 1vX setup. Not effective for group play. But the simplicity will allow you to focus on mastering your class and rotation more than which abilities to use.
  • stekspade321
    Learn how to be Quick on bar swapping its really good.
    I use

Bar 1: 2 torugs blades for spell damage( got bad spelling so feel free to correct me :smile: )
    Endles fury ( finnisher move)
    Crystal fragment ( only use when proct )
    Entropy
    Velocius curse
    Magicka detonation ( use from stealth as a starter and follower up with the curse)
    Ultimate Devoring swarm

Bar 2 : Resto staff
    Ward ally ( always use when engaging or fleeing )
    Deadric mines ( drop em down if they coming for u and place yourself so they have to walk through )
    Hardned ward ( keep it on at ALL time )
    Strike ( use as escape and offensive if u have a bunch grp up strike in pop devoring swarm and The mines good way to kill a few)
    The last slott u can use as u please i have caltrops on it but u can also have harness magica on.
    Ultimate Devoring swarm.

And you also need to train up your skills a bit aswell it always Comes down to that .
    But yeah do not abandon it 8f u enjoy the sorc it is an unstopible element of destruction in the right hand
    I am a happy esotu gamer and i also use twitch i do heaps of pvp and i dont have a sending schedual but it will come later one peace out.
    http://www.twitch.tv/mr_stekspade/mobile

• Xael
    Xael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danthedon4 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I am a level 48 Sorcerer playing on PS4 and I am really struggling in Cyrodiil. I'm not sure if I have levelled up correctly or I am doing something wrong but I seem to just get thrashed. I want to be able to hold my own and have some input with my group.

Does anyone have any tips on what works best on my ability bar for Cyrodiil or any other advice? I was thinking of just abandoning my Sorcerer and starting a new character but I really enjoy the play style during the main game.

Ok.. I find it sad that out of all the advice given nobody told you about Boundless Storm.

Boundless Storm is hands down the best Sorcerer skill in the game. It is cheap to use, provides 40% move speed and gives you crazy Armor/Spell Resist for the duration. This is your bread and butter for staying alive (despite shields) and breaching things like towers, keeps, etc.

I recommend keeping it simple and easy. I can make you a decent beginner build so you can get comfortable. There are obviosuly much better builds for damage etc, but these also require skill and time invested. I am not going to recommend you stuff you can't access at your level. This is basic and will work around proccing Frags while you have good mobility and the ability to absorb damage. Keep the HW/BS up all the time and you will be fine in most situations.
    Bar 1 - Destro Staff Crushing Shock (or Force), Vel Curse, Endless Fury (execute), Crystal Frags, Streak - Overload (or Soul Assault)
    Bar 2 - Resto Staff Healing Ward, Hardened Ward, Boundless Storm, Structured Entropy, Efficient Purge (if you have the rank, otherwise use Harness Magicka) ult doesn't matter, try and get meteor it's much easier than getting Fighters guild to 10 right away.

If you are having trouble with stealth (I don't know what PvP on console is like) you can always drop Streak from bar 1 and add Radiant Magelight, put streak on bar 2 by replacing Harness, and add Radiant to replace Entropy (if you don't have Might of the Guild it's really not a big deal). Considering you are non vet and even lowbie Vet a small spell damage boost won't matter that much. What you will need is survivability. RML stops sneak attacks from doing full damage and removes the stun and it reveals up to 12m anything hidden. I actually recommend you use this regardless as you will gain a decent amount of Spell Crit. Plus you can hunt stealthers.

Edited by Xael on August 15, 2015 6:50PM
    I got killed in pvp, nerf everything...
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xael wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

[..]Bar 2 - Resto Staff Healing Ward, Hardened Ward, Boundless Storm, Structured Entropy, Efficient Purge (if you have the rank, otherwise use Harness Magicka) ult doesn't matter, try and get meteor it's much easier than getting Fighters guild to 10 right away.
    [...]

No addons on consoles. Might not be so easy to get mages guild leveled up, unless they implemented something for that.

• Xael
    Xael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

[..]Bar 2 - Resto Staff Healing Ward, Hardened Ward, Boundless Storm, Structured Entropy, Efficient Purge (if you have the rank, otherwise use Harness Magicka) ult doesn't matter, try and get meteor it's much easier than getting Fighters guild to 10 right away.
    [...]

No addons on consoles. Might not be so easy to get mages guild leveled up, unless they implemented something for that.

No way.... serious? That is rough, reminds me of beta.
  • Methariorn
    Methariorn
    ✭✭✭
    I add a small suggestion based on my PvP experience: 35k magica for a final build is fine...but I prefear some more stamina: it's a big pain don't be able to break free or dodge when in dare need.
    Since I was on holydays past two weeks I could not try the PTS: why are you removing entropy in the next patch Elo'dryel? I belived the damage was nerfed since next patch...
    Methariorn sorc EU server AD
    Acciughina NB EU server AD
    Aiacos Templar EU server AD
    Sevoltan DK EU server AD
  • Reeko
    Reeko
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey Guys,

[...]

http://teso.mmorpg-life.com/lorebooks-locations-map/
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Methariorn wrote: »
    I add a small suggestion based on my PvP experience: 35k magica for a final build is fine...but I prefear some more stamina: it's a big pain don't be able to break free or dodge when in dare need.
    Since I was on holydays past two weeks I could not try the PTS: why are you removing entropy in the next patch Elo'dryel? I belived the damage was nerfed since next patch...

Crap, just saw the first comment.
    So, Entropy I didn't use for months now, so not removing that. Surge I am not useing on my vamp build on PTS, because it has no Overload thus less bar space. But not gonna use vamp again before they get their mistform and vamp weaknesses working correctly. On my non vamp build on PTS, I still use Surge on Overload.
    Reeko wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

[...]

http://teso.mmorpg-life.com/lorebooks-locations-map/

Right, that should make it much easier.
    Edited by ToRelax on August 16, 2015 8:29AM

• leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Guys,

Ok.. I find it sad that out of all the advice given nobody told you about Boundless Storm.

Boundless Storm is hands down the best Sorcerer skill in the game. It is cheap to use, provides 40% move speed and gives you crazy Armor/Spell Resist for the duration. This is your bread and butter for staying alive (despite shields) and breaching things like towers, keeps, etc.

I recommend keeping it simple and easy. I can make you a decent beginner build so you can get comfortable. There are obviosuly much better builds for damage etc, but these also require skill and time invested. I am not going to recommend you stuff you can't access at your level. This is basic and will work around proccing Frags while you have good mobility and the ability to absorb damage. Keep the HW/BS up all the time and you will be fine in most situations.
    Bar 1 - Destro Staff Crushing Shock (or Force), Vel Curse, Endless Fury (execute), Crystal Frags, Streak - Overload (or Soul Assault)
    Bar 2 - Resto Staff Healing Ward, Hardened Ward, Boundless Storm, Structured Entropy, Efficient Purge (if you have the rank, otherwise use Harness Magicka) ult doesn't matter, try and get meteor it's much easier than getting Fighters guild to 10 right away.

If you are having trouble with stealth (I don't know what PvP on console is like) you can always drop Streak from bar 1 and add Radiant Magelight, put streak on bar 2 by replacing Harness, and add Radiant to replace Entropy (if you don't have Might of the Guild it's really not a big deal). Considering you are non vet and even lowbie Vet a small spell damage boost won't matter that much. What you will need is survivability. RML stops sneak attacks from doing full damage and removes the stun and it reveals up to 12m anything hidden. I actually recommend you use this regardless as you will gain a decent amount of Spell Crit. Plus you can hunt stealthers.

problem with boundless storm is the fact when you have shields up they don't use any armour, so hitting a shield means the shield has 0 spell and physical resist so it's a waste of a skill.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Methariorn
    Methariorn
    ✭✭✭
    Most sorc use boudless storm not for the resist bonus but to conceal the animation of skills (when a sorc is in "thunder" mode is hard as hell see what he do). I've not considered going back to vamp...I removed it a long time ago when I saw the damage of the dawnbraker :cold_sweat:
    Since my main build use a drink for regeneration and not food (I'm the bait for my two nightblade friend) begin a vamp was a death sentence in far too many encounter :dizzy:
    Methariorn sorc EU server AD
    Acciughina NB EU server AD
    Aiacos Templar EU server AD
    Sevoltan DK EU server AD
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most sorc use boudless storm not for the resist bonus but to conceal the animation of skills (when a sorc is in "thunder" mode is hard as hell see what he do). I've not considered going back to vamp...I removed it a long time ago when I saw the damage of the dawnbraker :cold_sweat:
    Since my main build use a drink for regeneration and not food (I'm the bait for my two nightblade friend) begin a vamp was a death sentence in far too many encounter :dizzy:

seems like a waste of a slot though, what would you switch for boundless storm? , animation cancelling can also conceal the animation of skills as you won't do them.
    PS4 EU DC

• Xael
    Xael
    ✭✭✭✭✭

seems like a waste of a slot though, what would you switch for boundless storm? , animation cancelling can also conceal the animation of skills as you won't do them.

Boundless Storm gives Major Expedition for 7.5s. This is hardly a waste of a skill slot. More importantly it gives you spell damage, procs disintegrate, and lasts 15s. Even when your shields pop you can still have the protection from this buff. I have executed countless people just by being near them with this spell. It's also good against stealthers. It's amazing.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Boundless Storm gives Major Expedition for 7.5s. This is hardly a waste of a skill slot. More importantly it gives you spell damage, procs disintegrate, and lasts 15s. Even when your shields pop you can still have the protection from this buff. I have executed countless people just by being near them with this spell. It's also good against stealthers. It's amazing.

But what would you swap from a typical set up for it?
    PS4 EU DC

• danthedon4
    Thank you again for everyone's input.

I am now veteran level 1 and I have been to the shire in grahtwood to reset everything. I put the majority of my skill points on Magicka and I seem to be doing better in PVP because I have enough Juice to sustain a fight and also escape if I need to.

I have now got the following set up:

Destruction Staff:

1. Crystal Fragments
    2. Bolt Escape
    3. Boundless Storm
    4. Force Pulse
    5. Velocious Curse
    Ultimate - Soul Strike

Restoration Staff:

1. Blessing of Protection
    2. Bolt Escape
    3. Annulment
    4. Hardened Ward
    5. Grand Healing
    Ultimate - Power Overload

I am currently working on unlocking Daerdric Minefield so that will go in the place of Boundless Storm I think.

Any comments on this set up would be really appreciated.

Cheers
  • Francescolg
    Francescolg
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you play your sorcerer mostly from distance, I'd always choose rapid maneuvre in pvp, as you will rarely be in melee distance. If you prefer a "melee" sorcerer, to spam area effects in a larger group, for example, you'll prefer boundless storm, as the speed buff will stay up and for the desintegrate-passive.., but remember that to keep up boundless storm you use your magicka, and keeping up hardened ward / healing ward, while at the same time teleporting left and right, while at the same time doing some damage, will already cost most of your magicka..! So for PvP it is good to have 1-2 skills which work with stamina, this is when Rapid Maneuvre comes into play. (group play = no rapid maneuvre needed as stamina classes will do it)

For PvP: Nightblades like to use their "gap-closer" with a root effect (unmorphed teleport strike), and Dragon Knights like to spam Talons. That means: Each time your streak/bolt, the nightblade ports after you and ROOTs you for free/with one click. If then, you finish your magicka, you become "free AP". Area Effects as Caltrops and siege weapons further use slow/root, and the current PVP is full of Caltrops!
    Boundless Storm won't help you at all vs Calltops/slow effects. Sometimes you'd like not to teleport but just to move faster for 20 secs! In many situations, you'll prefer the speed buff instead of teleport.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Boundless Storm will not help you, if you have a Nightblade hunting you. Each time you teleport, he'll use Teleport Strike and catch you. If you finish your mana, you'll be stuck on the ground, not being able to escape/move/.... And believe me, there are more and more Nightblades coming in PvP...
    On the other hand, Boundless Storm will help, if you are hunting a Nightblade ;-)
    The armor buff effect is not so important, as dmg through shields is un-crit and un-mitigated, so having much armor is not soo important, if you keep hardened ward up.

Nonetheless, 20 sec speed + softCC-immunity for "travel mode" and for "get away" are worth more than a lackluster AoE that costs too much magicka and which graphic effects hurt your eyes (!)
    Edited by Francescolg on August 17, 2015 2:52PM
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you play your sorcerer mostly from distance, I'd always choose rapid maneuvre in pvp, as you will rarely be in melee distance. If you prefer a "melee" sorcerer, to spam area effects in a larger group, for example, you'll prefer boundless storm, as the speed buff will stay up and for the desintegrate-passive.., but remember that to keep up boundless storm you use your magicka, and keeping up hardened ward / healing ward, while at the same time teleporting left and right, while at the same time doing some damage, will already cost most of your magicka..! So for PvP it is good to have 1-2 skills which work with stamina, this is when Rapid Maneuvre comes into play. (group play = no rapid maneuvre needed as stamina classes will do it)

For PvP: Nightblades like to use their "gap-closer" with a root effect (unmorphed teleport strike), and Dragon Knights like to spam Talons. That means: Each time your streak/bolt, the nightblade ports after you and ROOTs you for free/with one click. If then, you finish your magicka, you become "free AP". Area Effects as Caltrops and siege weapons further use slow/root, and the current PVP is full of Caltrops!
    Boundless Storm won't help you at all vs Calltops/slow effects. Sometimes you'd like not to teleport but just to move faster for 20 secs! In many situations, you'll prefer the speed buff instead of teleport.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Boundless Storm will not help you, if you have a Nightblade hunting you. Each time you teleport, he'll use Teleport Strike and catch you. If you finish your mana, you'll be stuck on the ground, not being able to escape/move/.... And believe me, there are more and more Nightblades coming in PvP...
    On the other hand, Boundless Storm will help, if you are hunting a Nightblade ;-)
    The armor buff effect is not so important, as dmg through shields is un-crit and un-mitigated, so having much armor is not soo important, if you keep hardened ward up.

Nonetheless, 20 sec speed + softCC-immunity for "travel mode" and for "get away" are worth more than a lackluster AoE that costs too much magicka and which graphic effects hurt your eyes (!)

Oh my... don't listen to this person.
    Using stamina skills without softcaps and Immovable nerfed is a fatal mistake, you need the little stamina you have and should not invest more into it than you feel is needed. It's far more efficient pushing your magicka regen and using only magicka skills. Boundless Storm is a good skill, and while not really needed, it's certainly far more useful than slotting Rapid Maneuver.

Besides that:
    You can place skills on your Overload bar, use it. That's the place I would put my Mines on as long as you use Overload.
    Edited by ToRelax on August 17, 2015 5:37PM