The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The Resounding Whimper of the 'Elder Scrolls Online' Release

• Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You post nothing more than a link and expect meaningful responses?

Let me summarize for everyone else:
    "So what’s really missing? Truth be told, its an intangible that separates the online game from the previous titles."

Roughly translates to: "So what's really missing? I don't know."

You posted an article that complains of content not yet released* and the fact that it's different from the standalones...

Very helpful.

Edit: Highlighted in reference to 'missing' DB & TG.
    Edited by Merlin13KAGL on July 21, 2015 11:40AM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • Troneon
    Troneon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Read the article and it's pretty bang on accurate to be honest.
    PC EU AD
    Master Crafter - Anything you need!!
    High Elf Magicka Templar Healer/DPS/Tank
    Trials / Dungeons / PVP / Everything
    Options
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess that's one way to spin it, typical of politicians and civil servants, however, the writer makes some very specific comments on what's lacking:
    Though, for all its upgrades and shiny new options, there is a lot missing from ESO. For starters, the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood are so far missing. The Dark Brotherhood is on the horizon, but no word yet on the Thieves Guild. For those players with sticky fingers, this is a major issue. At least the nefarious-minded get an outlet when the Dark Brotherhood gets uploaded. Additionally, the freedom of choice that made Skyrim a favorite in the eyes of reviewers is also gone. It’s understandable and not very surprising that an MMO would want to lock players into five specific roles. Yet, the absence of choice feels more like a step backwards than anything, especially for a game in the Elder Scrolls franchise.
    Edited by KerinKor on July 21, 2015 11:19AM
    Options
  • Rust_in_Peace
    Rust_in_Peace
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You post nothing more than a link and expect meaningful responses?

Let me summarize for everyone else:
    "So what’s really missing? Truth be told, its an intangible that separates the online game from the previous titles."

You posted an article that complains of content not yet released and the fact that it's different from the standalones...

Very helpful.

Honestly, if I had to tell the average person who hasn't played ESO why it isn't succesful it wouldn't be a simple answer, either.
    Options
  • Somakarma
    Somakarma
    Fair review. States quite clearly that what is missing is (1) the marketing opportunity and (2) the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood.
    Options
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's also this...
    It’s bigger than Skyrim, and has a more expansive weapon and armor library. It has amazing graphics, better than 90% of the competition. The only game that matches up is Destiny.

Generally speaking, the game is enjoyable, extremely so. The storytelling is well done and draws you in. Each faction’s main story is really interesting. The writing is well thought out. The environments are beautiful. It’s a great game. The only time it feels like an MMO is when other players steal kill. Though, you can’t really complain about that, because sometimes you need a random person’s help to kill a bad guy. It’s a situation of give and take. If you’re an MMO person, then you need to own this game.

Hence this conclusion:
    So is it the fact that key elements of the Elder Scrolls franchise are missing from the game, or the absolutely atrocious job the marketing department did that caused ESO: Tamriel Unlimited to sell so poorly out of the gate? Or is it both? When does the game get a serious push, when everything is ready for the actual Elder Scrolls experience? If that’s the case, why wasn’t the game just released when everything was ready? Something tells me the console market would be willing to wait. By the early launch sales, no one noticed it was out for a while anyway. Who’s falling down on the job of making this game a success?

I honestly hope that the PR and marketing departments pick up the pace
    , because this is a game that MMO, fantasy, and RPG gamers should be picking up. Fortunately, word of mouth seems to be doing its job, and sales are climbing. I’m sure someone thought that after the boom of Skyrim, they wouldn’t need to give a major push to ESO, that word of mouth would carry it all the way. It shouldn’t be left solely to that. Not such a well-selling franchise. If Bethesda and ZeniMax hope to compete with the over 12 million sales Destiny has racked up, they need to pick up the pace.
    Edited by tinythinker on July 21, 2015 11:34AM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
    Options
  • P3ZZL3
    P3ZZL3
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ........... and as previously posted in the other thread about this review, he also says the game "Has no PVP".
    CP561 Redguard | Jabsy Templar | Stamina Build
    CP561 Breton | Jesus Beam Templar | Magicka Build Forever!
    CP561 Naked Nord | Tanky DK | Stamigicka Build

✭✭✭ Check ESO Server Status Live!: http://eso.webhub.eu/ ✭✭✭
    Options
  • Lionxoft
    Lionxoft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    P3ZZL3 wrote: »
    ........... and as previously posted in the other thread about this review, he also says the game "Has no PVP".

Do slideshows count though? :smirk:
    Options
  • P3ZZL3
    P3ZZL3
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lionxoft wrote: »

Do slideshows count though? :smirk:

Technically, even 1 person versus 1 person in the whole of Cyrodiil counts as PVP :D
    CP561 Redguard | Jabsy Templar | Stamina Build
    CP561 Breton | Jesus Beam Templar | Magicka Build Forever!
    CP561 Naked Nord | Tanky DK | Stamigicka Build

✭✭✭ Check ESO Server Status Live!: http://eso.webhub.eu/ ✭✭✭
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my take... first, this game is not a Skyrim sequel, and that is what the author of this article continuously seems to imply. Several times he makes a reference to how the game should be more like Skyrim, when obviously this being an MMO, cannot be like a single-player game.

Further, he didn't seem to grasp that the delay of the console wasn't part of the original plan, it was delayed because the PC launch was a disaster, and many console players were quite aware of this and have been WAITING to see how the game debuts on console. It also shouldn't surprise people that many console players are waiting until after the initial release so all the bugs and server overload can be worked out first... I know when I had been talking about getting the console version at launch many friends told me to wait at least a month or so for to allow the launch pains to go away.

In addition, I'm sure the marketing budget on ESO was quite limited due to the fact of how far the game ran over budget because of the delays and issues that needed to be fixed. Delaying the game over a year, along with the addition expense that went into 'fixing' the PC version and continuous re-development for the consoles had to put further strain on an already ballooning budget.

I also had to laugh at his 'Destiny' comparison... because everyone I know that played Destiny no longer plays it and said they stopped because it became unbearably awful at end-game. So not really a game that ESO should strive to emulate.

In conclusion, most of this article's complaints were that it wasn't "Skyrim 2.0", without realizing that this game is NOT part of the "Elder Scrolls series" but simply shares the title "Elder Scrolls" and takes place in Tamriel, hundreds of years before the Elder Scrolls series even takes place.

Finally, here is a quote dated JULY 9, 2015, I just happened to come across when I was trying to locate better information on actual ESO sales. "The US version of the PlayStation Blog has revealed that last month The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited managed to outsell Batman: Arkham Knight and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on the PlayStation Store."
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    I guess that's one way to spin it, typical of politicians and civil servants, however, the writer makes some very specific comments on what's lacking:
    Though, for all its upgrades and shiny new options, there is a lot missing from ESO. For starters, the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood are so far missing. The Dark Brotherhood is on the horizon, but no word yet on the Thieves Guild. For those players with sticky fingers, this is a major issue. At least the nefarious-minded get an outlet when the Dark Brotherhood gets uploaded. Additionally, the freedom of choice that made Skyrim a favorite in the eyes of reviewers is also gone. It’s understandable and not very surprising that an MMO would want to lock players into five specific roles. Yet, the absence of choice feels more like a step backwards than anything, especially for a game in the Elder Scrolls franchise.
    @KerinKor , appreciate you taking a crack at guessing my vocation, but, no.

intangible : not definite or clear to the mind.

This is the summary statement the writer makes after the part you quoted. Here's a mildly expanded version where the writer then counters what you point out above:
    So what’s really missing? Truth be told, its an intangible that separates the online game from the previous titles. It’s not the absence of the Thieves or the Brotherhood, or the presence of the blacksmithing challenges. At the end of the day, there’s a hollowness to ESO that isn’t in the others.

Let's go back to the OP, here. OP, What was your intention with this post?
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, it is 80-90% accurate. Not a lot of the clear bias you might find in an mmorpg.com article.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

Options
  • Flameheart
    Flameheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't say that the article treats ESO badly, it even says it's a great game and that's my opinion too. In fact the article says, that if there might be one fail, then it was Bethesda/Zenimax who failed at advertising, because they could have rolled in much more bucks in a shorter time according the author's opinion.

The article has one mistake though, it compares Skyrim with ESO and treats ESO like some sort of Skyrim sequel. A single player RPG just can not be compared with an MMO...and of course things like the Thieves Guild or the Brotherhood are missing at moment, but I am sure they will find their way into the game (as some sort of DLC content you have to pay for of course...and I would do the same to 100% as a MMO publisher, sorry, but money drives the world).

Edited by Flameheart on July 22, 2015 6:29AM
    Sometimes the prey turns and nips us... it's a small thing.

So let the snow flakes and unicorns dance alone until they melt or vanish from existence, we will finish up with those smart enough to stay in the glowing circle of love.

Selissi - CP 1k+ Redguard Stamina Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Silmerel - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Templar (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sunja - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Suldreni - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sulhelka - CP 1k+ Altmer Magicka Sorcerer (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sylundine - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Warden (Ebonheart Pact)

Options
  • J2JMC
    J2JMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigh. When I get my $53.99 back then you can call it F2P. Also I love how he says on page 2 that it rarely feels like an mmo yet thinks mmo players should be flocking to it. Guys I'm going to buy Battlefield 4 even though I only play racing games because you drive a truck in the first mission of battlefield. I'm also convinced this person doesn't know the difference between Zenimax Media Inc, ZOS and Bethesda.

This is what happens when people who have never played an mmo load up eso expecting it to be skyrim online.

Only thing I agree with in this article is that the Pr for the game is lax. Only reason I bought it at launch was because I had been looking for an mmo as well as a game to keep me busy until Arkham Knight. This satisfied those needs.

Knee Jerk, L2P, Obtuse, Casual, Entitled, All The Best, unnecessary mention of CoD

Battle leveling for pve content defeats the idea of progression. Remove CP

"Apparently the players are more informed than we are"-Richard Lambert

Options
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also suggests that you can still only play as another race if you pre-ordered.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
    Options
  • Pman85
    Pman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of the first page of the article is about how this should be open world because I want Skyrim talk and much of it is really outdated information...in which the article was published yesterday.

"Here’s what I see is the major downfall of this game. Bethesda’s PR department. Whoever was responsible for letting the world know this game was out, dropped the ball in one of the most epic ways possible"

hit is on the head. I remember thinking to myself a week before console launch that I haven't seen *** for this game, on the internet, tv, nothing. There was no HYPE to the console launch at all. Do you guys/gals remember certiain times where all you would see is WoW commericals on TV AND the internet? I do. It was annoying but highly effective in getting their message to the masses. Something I saw from day one, that didn't happen for ESO. :'(

"Which brings me back to the major problem. No one knows its a really good game. It was one of the least talked about games coming out of E3." another great point on the lack of knowledge about this

"ESO should be competing with, should be beating the pants off, games like Destiny." SO MUCH THIS

"So is it the fact that key elements of the Elder Scrolls franchise are missing from the game, or the absolutely atrocious job the marketing department did that caused ESO: Tamriel Unlimited to sell so poorly out of the gate? Or is it both? When does the game get a serious push, when everything is ready for the actual Elder Scrolls experience? If that’s the case, why wasn’t the game just released when everything was ready? Something tells me the console market would be willing to wait. By the early launch sales, no one noticed it was out for a while anyway. Who’s falling down on the job of making this game a success?

I honestly hope that the PR and marketing departments pick up the pace, because this is a game that MMO, fantasy, and RPG gamers should be picking up. Fortunately, word of mouth seems to be doing its job, and sales are climbing. I’m sure someone thought that after the boom of Skyrim, they wouldn’t need to give a major push to ESO, that word of mouth would carry it all the way. It shouldn’t be left solely to that. Not such a well-selling franchise. If Bethesda and ZeniMax hope to compete with the over 12 million sales Destiny has racked up, they need to pick up the pace."

out of the dumb talk in the start of the article, these last two paragraphs seem to sum up the turd pile pretty well.
    Guildmaster - Order of Stendarr [XB1] - Apply today!

Brought to you by Fishy Joe's....Ride the walrus!

Options
  • Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with him on why this game didn't have a better console launch. The marketing on the console release fell somewhere between "embarrassing" and "non-existent." I barely heard anything about it. There was no hype at all. No one (and I mean NO ONE) in the gaming media was talking about it. I never saw a single ad for it on TV or on any non-Bethesda website. If it hadn't been for a very brief trailer at the Bethesda press conference, I doubt it would have gotten a single mention anywhere in the press.

More former Skyrim players probably *would* be playing this game, if they knew it even existed.

The PC release hype, by contrast, was much more extensive. If there had been a day-and-date console release back then, I think it would have sold gangbusters. But to release over a year after the PC hype has died, with almost no marketing to speak of, pretty much ensured that the console release would fall FAR short of the old Skyrim numbers.

It's a shame. But he's right. It's a good game with terrible marketing.
    Options
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A review of marketing.
    Well, that's different I guess.
    Let's go back to the OP, here. OP, What was your intention with this post?

Apparently just to drop this in the middle of the forum and walk away.
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
    Options
  • Sausage
    Sausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is second ESO Forbes article, so is next EA MMO already so close. They try to get more MMO people to the site, so they can bring their next fail.
    Edited by Sausage on July 21, 2015 2:24PM
    Options
  • Pman85
    Pman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sausage wrote: »
    This is second ESO Forbes article, so is next EA MMO already so close.

i dunno what you are trying to say lol

dunno2.gif

Guildmaster - Order of Stendarr [XB1] - Apply today!

Brought to you by Fishy Joe's....Ride the walrus!

Options
  • Sausage
    Sausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pman85 wrote: »
    Sausage wrote: »
    This is second ESO Forbes article, so is next EA MMO already so close.

i dunno what you are trying to say lol

dunno2.gif

Forbes is EA. Believe it or not. Its their financed. That old EA CEO was founder or investor of Forbes.
    Edited by Sausage on July 21, 2015 2:28PM
    Options
  • jluceyub17_ESO
    jluceyub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sales on console have been sluggish because of the bad reviews the PC game got at launch and because they blew their ad budget on the PC release and didn't have anything left for the console release. Second page of the article notes its now sold 800K copies on PS4 and 600K copies on XB1, so I'm not sure that qualifies as a "resounding whimper" unless you're using Skyrim as the comparison. Based on all the complaining, sometimes justified, PC users did the game had a lot to fight through and wasn't going to sell fast, but it looks like momentum is picking up as console players get to play the game.
    Options
  • djyrb
    djyrb
    ✭✭✭
    Additionally, the freedom of choice that made Skyrim a favorite in the eyes of reviewers is also gone. It’s understandable and not very surprising that an MMO would want to lock players into five specific roles.

Do journalists get an extra class that we are not able to access? There are so many inaccurate statements in this article; I know someone who won't be winning the Pulitzer any time soon.
    Options
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All points are dead on. "Yes it is understandable that a MMO would want to lock in 5 specific roles, yet the absence of choice is a step backwards". the step backwards is not the roles, its the lack of roles in ESO. there is one role in ESO it is DPS with a taunt or DPS with a couple heals. CC and actual utility is not evident in ESO in any way and forget about buffing and debuffing all are after effects of a DPS ability and not really needed for any group content aside from a few encounters.

They had a great opportunity here to do something grand and missed the mark in over simplification of group combat. making everything an exercise in situational awareness while maintaining DPS. This crowd or so called crowd of people that screamed for the death of the trinity for last two AAA mmo titles GW2, ESO. Look how it has panned out for them, same for the F2P screamers. Look at the retention of these games compared to the titles that birthed the genre. Retention is no where near the level of those games. Sure they sold copies and retained thirty percent of the players 6 months in. that's horrid, games prior to 2008 would sell almost as many copies but retain 80 % player bases for 9 to 15 months. Developers are making games for Investors now not the players ESO is no different.
    Options
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO has plenty of problems, but that Forbes review is full of holes and misinformation.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
    Options
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    They had a great opportunity here to do something grand and missed the mark in over simplification of group combat. making everything an exercise in situational awareness while maintaining DPS. This crowd or so called crowd of people that screamed for the death of the trinity for last two AAA mmo titles GW2, ESO. Look how it has panned out for them, same for the F2P screamers. Look at the retention of these games compared to the titles that birthed the genre. Retention is no where near the level of those games. Sure they sold copies and retained thirty percent of the players 6 months in. that's horrid, games prior to 2008 would sell almost as many copies but retain 80 % player bases for 9 to 15 months. Developers are making games for Investors now not the players ESO is no different.

I would much rather have combat where every person in the group has to pay attention because the tank can't hold aggro on everything than throw in a "crowd control" role and eliminate all challenge for the rest of the group. Lack of roles != simplier, less engaging combat.
    Options
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    MCMancub wrote: »

I would much rather have combat where every person in the group has to pay attention because the tank can't hold aggro on everything than throw in a "crowd control" role and eliminate all challenge for the rest of the group. Lack of roles != simplier, less engaging combat.

What I don't like is how everything turns into an AOE fest. At least with CC, you need to be careful about which target(s) you are dps'ing in which order so you don't break CC and potentially wipe the group. I think they could find a happy middle ground between the two..
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forbes must have it out for Zenimax.... They seem to hate ESO.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
    Options
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    djyrb wrote: »
    Additionally, the freedom of choice that made Skyrim a favorite in the eyes of reviewers is also gone. It’s understandable and not very surprising that an MMO would want to lock players into five specific roles.

Do journalists get an extra class that we are not able to access? There are so many inaccurate statements in this article; I know someone who won't be winning the Pulitzer any time soon.

he is talking about roles not classes. It seems to me its a general statement about MMO design. saying ESO Failed at that. there is really one role in ESO DPS , with a side of taunt or heal. and an occasional survivablitly skill. the CC design and implementation was so focused on making PVP balanced it completely lost any real must have for PVE in group mechanics. Im not a fan of forbes reviewing MMO's they are to removed from the actual Player base to even make comments. Plus i doubt this guy doing the review has ever played any of them at end game. he is making comments of limited play time what he heard at Gen con or E3 .

But he made some very good points, I don't know WTH he was talking about in advertising though. The good damn game was advertised a wad load on UFC fights, Spike TV and such. is he talking about not seeing it during a episode of big bang? or on the commercial brake?. it's not selling well because they Released the game un finsihed on PC broke their word on content updates while collecting money on subs. then went B2P and did nothing to fix the game the community was screaming for. It's not selling well because they fugged up the PC release , not because they didn't advertise.
    Options
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eso has problems for sure.

But this reviewer clearly just wants it to be Skyrim Online or Skyrim 2. Which it isn't.

Plus Forbes did a lot of negative press towards this game before it was even released. True story.
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
    Options