The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Grinding Etiquette

• Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    UTG_Zilla wrote: »
    Does it really matter? The other person joining in isn't taking your loot so it's not ninja'ing.

I do this.

When I see a caster or a low level attempting to kill higher mobs (idk how because isn't last main quest at level 50? But I've seen a few level 40s in auridon veteran zone for DC) and they need help then yea I'll join in and help them kill so they don't have to kite, most of the time I just ambush and take a big Chunk of health off the enemy and leave. Am I doing a wrong?

Please tell me so because I don't see any wrong in helping someone not die while also not taking their loot or xp (they still get xp)

This is about taking the experience from killing not loot. But FTR, the hard part about helping is that you never know what the other wants, so IMO you can't get it wrong. When it comes to XP, if you are the 3rd person joining in, then you just took XP from 2 people. Why ZOS does this in a game that should promote playing with others is just crazy.

Edited by Sacadon on July 5, 2015 10:43PM
  • CriD
    CriD
    ✭✭✭
    I CLAIM ALL OF GLENUMBRA AS MINE.
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please log out until I am finished grinding. Thank you for your understanding.
    PS4 Pro NA
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Tholian1 wrote: »
    Please log out until I am finished grinding. Thank you for your understanding.[/

I will... Soon.
  • Ace_of_Destiny
    Ace_of_Destiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I am The Imperial Vestige...please do not enter My Imperial City upon it's release.

Thank You.
    EQUALIZE ALL PLATFORMS!
    IF ONE HAS IT...ALL SHOULD HAVE IT!
    !

)==================================================(
    ~MegaServer~>PS4 (NA) ~PSN~>Ace-of-Destiny
    )===================================================(
    I don't care what platform it is on...an MMORPG without Text Chat is NOT an MMORPG!
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I have no trouble others arriving to grind spots. Everyone has equal rights to grind mobs. I believe politeness pays off and that has been actual experience most of the time. It is usually unclear who comes when and people jump away to sell&repair and back. There is no "we were first here". But if a grind spot already has three or more, i go away.

Only really bad etiquette is those who tag and run ahead to next mobs, leaving others to do killing. If that happens we (regardless if i am alone or grouped) stop killing those mobs. One of us follows the tagger, tags same mobs without killing and keeps whispering. The other(s) keeps killing mobs further ahead. Tagger gets zero xp while we still get some until they usually quickly submit.

Questers are sometimes hard to spot, especially when i have fallen into grinding "zone". That has caused some whispers to me - like "don't steal my xp", "give me a chance", or "aargh, take them away". I think questers have a priority over grinders. I try to apologize and ask if they need help. If not i just go to sell&repair. Especially on lower levels when leveling an alt, surprisingly many gladly accept my offer of help, and i have often quested together awhile or did dolmens or WBs.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Heruthema
    Heruthema
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have had the problem where I am grinding a spot by myself and a group of grinders come and hog everything. Where's the etiquette in that?
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    Still not sure of all the terminology yet, but having a guess, is this where a player is fighting things to get xp and another player jumps in the fight to get xp as well?

I have jumped in when I have seen a player fighting some thing but only to help, maybe I should not have then.
    Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
    -Johnny Depp
  • snackrat
    snackrat
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Other: I deal with it.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need more spots to get XP, especially for V11+ and this issue disappears completely. The entire concept of grinding mobs for max xp/min while also destroying the xp rate if more than 2 people are present is entirely on ZoS. The design of that xp system is extremely short sighted and produces animosity among players.

If someone comes to an area where I'm mob grinding, I consider it a form of pvp and a fight has just started for control of that area. I may choose to leave, or fight for the spot. I may even call upon a number of guildies to come and attempt to scare off the new players that have shown up. Yes they have every right to be there as I do, but I don't have to make it easy on them and they don't have to make it easy on me either.
    Edited by redspecter23 on July 5, 2015 11:39PM
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leave my mobs alone !

Nosferatu-the-Vampyre-010.jpg
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chaos0720 wrote: »

See in honestly the way I see it is, if someone is fighting a mob (I don't know where the grind spots are and I honestly don't care, I'm gaining xp just find), I feel like a *** for not helping them. So what I end up doing is sitting back and checking the health bars to see who's winning and step in if necessary, or rez them if they die..

Yup.

I don't grind. I find it mind-numbingly boring. So if I'm anywhere and I see someone jumping into a mob, I figure 1-they are in a hurry, and 2-I keep an eye on them (health bar wise) to see if they might need help. I usually won't throw in much more than a light distance attack or a heal. I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder, but we've all needed a tich of help on occasion.

The one exception to this is if I see someone running from guards. Then I just sit back and cackle.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • danovic
    danovic
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    The grinders are usually the only ones who qualify as griefers if they interfering with others completion of quests. They are griefing game wide especially on areas of the main quest. The worse ones are the grinder/griefers in delves who run buy kill the boss wile i'm stuck dealing with there trains before you can get there then you stuck waiting for respawn. This happens way to often. Just play the game and show a little courtesy. I will always wait a few if I see someone else that needs to kill boss then give them the chance with the kill.
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    If I am grinding in an area, and some one shows up, I invite them to the party, I am not entitled to the mobs they are there for everyone, and if they refuse to join my group, past experience has been I will out last them, and they leave, and if they don't oh well, so what if I got a little less experience on this outing, there are ways to make it up..:)
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Other: Invite them into a group and ignore them if they don't join you.

Personally, I try to avoid other grinders when I'm grinding, but sometimes the field is very crowded, and they can't be avoided. On those occasions, I never say anything, but I step up my game and do s--tloads of damage all over the place to make sure I get my XP. On those rare occasions someone is clearly trying to annoy or is actually dumb enough to send a hate whisper, I'll even slot "Inner Fire" and taunt all the mobs away from them, LOL.

I never, ever, ever curse at anyone or even argue with them, however... you don't want to give some turd ammunition to report you!
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    helediron wrote: »
    I have no trouble others arriving to grind spots. Everyone has equal rights to grind mobs. I believe politeness pays off and that has been actual experience most of the time. It is usually unclear who comes when and people jump away to sell&repair and back. There is no "we were first here". But if a grind spot already has three or more, i go away.

Only really bad etiquette is those who tag and run ahead to next mobs, leaving others to do killing. If that happens we (regardless if i am alone or grouped) stop killing those mobs. One of us follows the tagger, tags same mobs without killing and keeps whispering. The other(s) keeps killing mobs further ahead. Tagger gets zero xp while we still get some until they usually quickly submit.

Questers are sometimes hard to spot, especially when i have fallen into grinding "zone". That has caused some whispers to me - like "don't steal my xp", "give me a chance", or "aargh, take them away". I think questers have a priority over grinders. I try to apologize and ask if they need help. If not i just go to sell&repair. Especially on lower levels when leveling an alt, surprisingly many gladly accept my offer of help, and i have often quested together awhile or did dolmens or WBs.

Finally someone gets it.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sacadon wrote: »
    [If that happens we (regardless if i am alone or grouped) stop killing those mobs. One of us follows the tagger, tags same mobs without killing and keeps whispering. The other(s) keeps killing mobs further ahead. Tagger gets zero xp while we still get some until they usually quickly submit.

What is tagging? And what is the point of it?

Just curious, 'cause I have no real idea what you are talking about.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call on your grinding buds to out-grind them so they do nothing but waste time
    helediron wrote: »

Afaik, None of the grinding spots only have quest specific NPCs in them which would affect the abilities of someone questing to complete that quest. They all have core quest mobs which tend to be out of the way of the main grind collection spots so that those grinding and those questing rarely have to fight for the same XP if they stick to their respective roles.

Some questers might want to get extra XP by killing mobs that I grind, which I usually don't mind since they'll be there for 1, maybe 2, pulls before going on their merry way. If they stay and grind some more however then I'll either out-dps them or try and get them to join a group to avoid needless competition.
    The Legendary Nothing
  • WolfgangArmadeus
    WolfgangArmadeus
    ✭✭✭
    Report them for griefing and leave
    I feel like the author of this post (he or she) failed to adequately describe the given situation, or the majority failed to understand his/her explanation. What i got out of it was that he/she considers it to be pretty darn rude and on the line of griefing when another player(s) show up and go out of their way to interrupt your xp grind. In some instances it is quite obvious they had no intention of xp grinding until they saw you doing it and just wanted to interrupt your enjoyment. In that case, yeah, report them and move on. :Note: It is also proper etiquette to take a step back and see if they are really trolling you or are they really just trying to grind too.?.
    These type of issues exist in other instances as well, for instance: someone brings an enemy to you while you are opening a treasure chest, the enemy attacks you and stops you from looting said chest, the other player then steals the chest from you. Or like the prisoner of jathsogur quest, there is always 1 or 2 people messing it up for everyone else. Report these players everytime i see one, if you dont report them they will continue spoiling the fun for yourself and others...
  • Yinmaigao
    Yinmaigao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Report them for griefing and leave
    I feel like the author of this post (he or she) failed to adequately describe the given situation, or the majority failed to understand his/her explanation. What i got out of it was that he/she considers it to be pretty darn rude and on the line of griefing when another player(s) show up and go out of their way to interrupt your xp grind. In some instances it is quite obvious they had no intention of xp grinding until they saw you doing it and just wanted to interrupt your enjoyment. In that case, yeah, report them and move on. :Note: It is also proper etiquette to take a step back and see if they are really trolling you or are they really just trying to grind too.?.
    These type of issues exist in other instances as well, for instance: someone brings an enemy to you while you are opening a treasure chest, the enemy attacks you and stops you from looting said chest, the other player then steals the chest from you. Or like the prisoner of jathsogur quest, there is always 1 or 2 people messing it up for everyone else. Report these players everytime i see one, if you dont report them they will continue spoiling the fun for yourself and others...

This was the impression I got as well, and voted accordingly.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    ... oh, just like WoW ?
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Yinmaigao wrote: »

This was the impression I got as well, and voted accordingly.

Yes, both of you have a grasp on what I was trying to convey.
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    Find another spot... go to one of the hundred or so caves in Cyrodiil.

I may be wrong about this but I've been operating under the belief that one other person tagging kills does not reduce exp.
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • mtwiggz
    mtwiggz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call on your grinding buds to out-grind them so they do nothing but waste time
    Typically my grinding buds and I will jus out grind any unwanted company.

The fact that you get reduced XP per player tagging mobs, or in group, is a terrible mechanic for an MMO. The point of an MMO is to social interact with other players and play the game with others, not be upset that they have shown up to where you are trying to play.

I've posted many comments about this silly system in place. They've been continuously overlooked by ZoS. I really believe they were not ready to handle an MMO. As many aspects of this game are single player based. Very few things other than content made for groups is at all group oriented.
  • BlueViolet
    BlueViolet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    As someone who was once told to "get out, this is MY grind" in a dwemer ruin where I was doing a quest, as far as I'm concerned "grind etiquette" can be stuffed fully and firmly where the sun doesn't shine.

No one owns mobs in this game. It's not "your" mob. Or anyone else's. And after said incident I mentioned above, I now no longer shift for anybody. And I'll kill or do whatever I need to, to finish my questing. I see some people say here they've run into polite grinders. I must be missing them all, because all I ever seem to run into are rude jackasses.
    EU / NA / PC
  • reclaimervii.sierra117ub17_ESO
    I don't get it, why can't ZO$ offer max level like WoW does?
  • Cernow
    Cernow
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Did you really use the word "immersion" in this context. LOL. It's a MMO not a single player game. Deal with it.

And if you want to have a serious discussion about etiquette in grinding spots (and I agree that barging in on another player is poor etiquette) then you really shouldn't be using terms like "griefing".
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Cernow wrote: »
    Did you really use the word "immersion" in this context. LOL. It's a MMO not a single player game. Deal with it.

And if you want to have a serious discussion about etiquette in grinding spots (and I agree that barging in on another player is poor etiquette) then you really shouldn't be using terms like "griefing".

No I didn't. That word is just part of a definition I copied from another website. Also why it's at the bottom. Grinding in certain areas could certainly ruin someone's immersion I suppose, but even though it's relevant, it had nothing to do with the post.

The context of griefing in this case is when another player has clear intentions to negatively interfere with another's gameplay. Gameplay beng defined as repeatedly killing mobs for XP.

Others may create polls to qq, but I wanted to hear what others thought about it. Instead I get to hear others qq, it's so backwards. So no it's not about me and therefore nothing to deal with as you say. My stance on it (as stated earlier) is to try to communicate first, then just leave if they continue and come back later.
    Edited by Sacadon on July 6, 2015 2:42AM
  • Halfwitte
    Halfwitte
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Go play FFXI where people train entire zones onto your party and have you wiped out, because it takes an entire party to kill 1-2 mobs at once or they run in a tag the mob before your tank pulls and they get all the xp for you killing it. You could stand around and camp a rare mob that spawns once in a blue moon and the first person to tag it gets credit for killing it and the loot. Oh when you die from the pain train that got pulled onto your group you could lose xp and level down and the gear you're wearing would unequip because you no longer meet the requirements. The best was in WoW when a rogue could be sleathed next to your group while you kill a world boss and after it is dead appear and steal all the loot while your raid leader was congratulating everyone. Don't know how this can even be considered grieving comparatively. In the early days of Ulitma Online people could steal other players blind while they were standing at the bank and literally take everything on their person and immediately deposit in their own bank.
  • FilthyMudcrabs
    FilthyMudcrabs
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Reporting someone for killing things more quickly than you? Seems a bit harsh. Makes me wonder/hope that people who over-report can face the ban hammer as well.
    Saw a mudcrab the other day. Dreadful creatures.