The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Grinding Etiquette

• Yinmaigao
    Yinmaigao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Report them for griefing and leave
    Chaos0720 wrote: »
    Yinmaigao wrote: »
    It is still really damn annoying if you pull 3 or 4 to aoe down and someone comes and drops aoes on your pile or worse, pulls them off of you while you are clumping them up.

The big problems are two-fold: ZoS making you hate other players for ruining your efficiency, and people having no f*cks to give for other people's quality of life.

Quality of life.... are you serious? If people taking a kill for you in a massively MULTIplayer ONLINE role playing game effects your quality of life, then you have more problems in the head then I do.

I will not argue that it's annoying... but give me a break... quality of life.

Something annoying that detracts from your fun is a quality of life concern.

But as I said, while annoying, you get over it and move on.

As this post is about etiquette , I feel it is on point.
  • Chaos0720
    Chaos0720
    ✭✭✭
    Uh... Im the Vestige. Any time I want to grind other people should leave.

No... sir. You are mistaken. I am the vestige.

Oh ***... deja vu as to why people had an issue with an elder scrolls-eque mmo.

*sits in a corner and cries*

(And I guess I'm not done humoring you yet. Stop making irresistible comments. :P)
  • Pangnirtung
    Pangnirtung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually turn around and leave the grinders alone. I tried grinding and found it more boring than it was worth doing to get the XP.

My beef against the grinders who purposely pull creatures away from you and continue to do so until they have a large enough group to bomb, etc.

Grinders... meh. I can always find somewhere else to have fun.
  • Drazhar14
    Drazhar14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I go play another game until real content is released so I won't have to grind.
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    I would be seriously surprised if reporting players you think are griefing, especially in this example, was taken seriously by ZOS. And just how long should someone who comes upon you grinding be expected to wait before it's 'their turn'?
    Been thinking this through... So if you join a group of 2 none of you get worthwhile XP. So the only choices in that scenario are to find another spot (at this point there are many at least as good that don't take from others), Or go do something else and check back later to see when the 2 players are done. Staying not only gives you low XP, but takes it from the other 2, yet many choose this option. Are they ignorant/misinformed or what?

Yep, never reported anyone let alone for this. I was curious to know if anyone believed it was behavior significant enough for it.
  • Chaos0720
    Chaos0720
    ✭✭✭
    I usually turn around and leave the grinders alone. I tried grinding and found it more boring than it was worth doing to get the XP.

My beef against the grinders who purposely pull creatures away from you and continue to do so until they have a large enough group to bomb, etc.

Grinders... meh. I can always find somewhere else to have fun.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    They should pay you 10 gold for each XP leeched, such behavior is outrageous!

Oh wait, you dont have more rights to kill mobs and earn XP than any other player..
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Chaos0720
    Chaos0720
    ✭✭✭
    It is still really damn annoying if you pull 3 or 4 to aoe down and someone comes and drops aoes on your pile or worse, pulls them off of you while you are clumping them up.

The big problems are two-fold: ZoS making you hate other players for ruining your efficiency, and people having no f*cks to give for other people's quality of life.

Quality of life.... are you serious? If people taking a kill for you in a massively MULTIplayer ONLINE role playing game effects your quality of life, then you have more problems in the head then I do.

I will not argue that it's annoying... but give me a break... quality of life.

Something annoying that detracts from your fun is a quality of life concern.

But as I said, while annoying, you get over it and move on.

As this post is about etiquette , I feel it is on point.

The fact that etiquette and quality of life are even being discussed about a video game is laughable. It's one thing if your at the store and someone jumps in front of you and takes that last snickers... but being upset about something that there is no reason to be upset about is just sad.

If you want to play ESO without having to worry about people taking your mobs, I suggest: Baldur's Gate, Champions of Norrath, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim... all of those would be a good start. But don't play multiplayer with someone in the same room... they might kill your enemies too...

If people would stop crying about mine mine mine (and this isn't to you directly) and realize the opportunities presented for team work, the game would be a better place. I quite enjoy having a group of random people running through solo dungeons. It makes it easier and quicker which lets me move on to quests.

Like I said... if you don't want to worry about people killing "your" enemies. Play something else.
  • Aneima
    Aneima
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Sacadon wrote: »
    > Aside from the fact that ZOS creates significant anti-social situations such as reduced XP for a groups of more than 2 combined with a new vertical progression system and no new content.

> And regardless of whether or not you think grinding is acceptable

> In the event you are grinding mobs with another player and another one shows up and rapidly starts tagging your pulls (leeching XP) and also jumping in front of mobs and killing them when you pull them. Several attempts are made to communicate with this player to no avail and they are clearly not just ignorant to their actions but intentionally dismissing the impact to your quality of game-play.

Should you (poll options)?

Defined: Griefing is the act of chronically causing consternation to other members of an online community, or more specifically, intentionally disrupting the immersion of another player in their gameplay.

I befriend that person. Get to know them. Take several months gaining their trust. Get their phone number. Then I'll post on Craigslist that I have 10 IPhone 5s that I'm giving away for free. All that's required is a small donation of any amount.
    Edited by Aneima on July 5, 2015 8:34PM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Immediately leave and do nothing more
    I agree with all the people saying everyone has equal right to kill mobs, harvest resources etc. etc.

I don't do grinding, but sometimes I get a similar effect from other people doing the same quests I am. For example I'm carefully sneaking into an enemy camp preparing to take them out with stealth attacks and a couple of people come charging through and AoE everything in the area, take a few swipes at me because they can't tell the difference between an NPC and a player and then run on.

Sure it's annoying but it's never once occurred to me to report them for griefing because they choose to kill enemies in a different way to me.

As far as I'm concerned I have precisely 2 choices: Shrug it off and continue with what I was doing or wait for them to respawn and start over. Which one I choose varies depending on my mood, but there is never a case when someone else playing normally is griefing you.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    What I do after a few failed attempts to communicate is just leave and do something else. Anything else just isn't worth my time or energy.
  • dennissomb16_ESO
    dennissomb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    players simply do not own mobs, especially for no other reason then being there first. Certainly it is not a reportable offense if someone else comes along
  • phairdon
    phairdon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Immediately leave and do nothing more
    Happened to me a couple of times. Farming a certain area. Another player comes along, see's where you're heading, sprints past & tag/pulls the mob away.
    Just head elsewhere on the rare occasion
    Your immersion is breaking my entitlement. Buff Sorc's. Darkshroud the cremator Death by furRubeus BlackFluffy knight BladesThe Fat PantherPsijic Fungal SausageFlesheater the VileCaspian Rafferty FernsbyArchfiend Warlock PiersThe Black BishopEvil Wizard Lizard (EU)Neberra Vestige Fajeon (EU)Salanis Deathstick (EU)Blood Mage Alchemist (EU)
  • Steelshiv
    Steelshiv
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Go find somewhere else to play.
  • UTG_Zilla
    UTG_Zilla
    ✭✭✭
    Does it really matter? The other person joining in isn't taking your loot so it's not ninja'ing.

I do this.

When I see a caster or a low level attempting to kill higher mobs (idk how because isn't last main quest at level 50? But I've seen a few level 40s in auridon veteran zone for DC) and they need help then yea I'll join in and help them kill so they don't have to kite, most of the time I just ambush and take a big Chunk of health off the enemy and leave. Am I doing a wrong?

Please tell me so because I don't see any wrong in helping someone not die while also not taking their loot or xp (they still get xp)
  • UTG_Zilla
    UTG_Zilla
    ✭✭✭
    Drazhar14 wrote: »
    I go play another game until real content is released so I won't have to grind.

Have you played an mmo before? Grinding pretty much goes hand in hand with mmo's to some degree
  • mrskinskull
    mrskinskull
    ✭✭✭✭
    In no way should you report griefing on any player for playing a game as designed. Zos made the dungeons open and not instanced. My advice to you is to grind single player missions that have copious spawns.

If that doesn't work try to share.
  • Psychobunni
    Psychobunni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Sacadon wrote: »
    Other = suck it up buttercup :D

Yes, the xp set up sucks, but you are no more entitled to any mob than anyone else is in Tamriel

This made me LOL. How you read entitlement from the post is not clear, but I'll never pass on a chance to be called buttercup. awesome for you.

The idea that 2 (however many) people are deserving of etiquette, that you should "report them" or call on other players to come help you chase players away in an open world game....is entitled. Quite a few of the places people grind criss cross right through quest'ing.

I am not against grinding at all, I'd give anything to have the multi-boss grind in Crag back. But the only way you could discuss etiquette on a grinding location is if it were officially sanctioned and away from bothering normal play and players. ESO doesn't have that :(
    If options weren't necessary, and everyone played the same way, no one would use addons. Fix the UI!

• GaldorP
    GaldorP
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Make a forum post like this one to make sure the developpers are aware that there is a strong competition for the few good good grinding spots that currently exist and ask for more zones/content that allows for grinding :)
  • Storm_knight22
    Storm_knight22
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    What an extraordinarily puerile, arrogant and fatuous post. No you do not have a claim to mobs or dungeons. Also grinding in popular locales and expecting such exclusivity (Lipsand Tarn, Cracked Wood Cave, etc) is beyond laughable. Players who are interrupting "your" grind may not be aware that they are depleting the flow of xp, they may think they are helping. New players join regularly. Finally telling someone to leave, as though you have special claim to an area is most likely to irritate them and exacerbate the situation.
    Edited by Storm_knight22 on July 5, 2015 10:21PM
    I want spell crafting.
  • Chaos0720
    Chaos0720
    ✭✭✭
    GaldorP wrote: »
    Make a forum post like this one to make sure the developpers are aware that there is a strong competition for the few good good grinding spots that currently exist and ask for more zones/content that allows for grinding :)

I doubt that will happen. If they give more spots for people to level up it won't be a challenge. Same thing with other mechanics in the game... Like wolves/bloodfiends for instance... No matter how many posts are posted having anything to do with these npcs, we will never see increased spawn rates.

Things are how they are because I guess we're supposed to earn the levels and dealing with competition is part of that process.
  • Grampa_Smurf
    Grampa_Smurf
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    When grinding I try to stay out of others areas, but if they continue to run over and try to take then I just simply follow them all over and tag there mobs as well. Good old eye for and eye till they get the hint or they send a friendly group invite. Also if I turn up to an area been farmed I ask for group before destroying every thing in sight.

Life isn't measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
  • Chaos0720
    Chaos0720
    ✭✭✭
    When grinding I try to stay out of others areas, but if they continue to run over and try to take then I just simply follow them all over and tag there mobs as well. Good old eye for and eye till they get the hint or they send a friendly group invite. Also if I turn up to an area been farmed I ask for group before destroying every thing in sight.

Good way to get yourself banned too. Whether or not the people were purposefully taking your mobs would be hard to prove. Openly boasting that your solution is to follow them around and ruin their experience is against the rules. Think before you speak. We cannot say whatever we want. There are rules.
  • BurtFreeman
    BurtFreeman
    ✭✭✭
    grinding in eso will finish once we'll have:
    tamriel unlimited tournament: a pve and pvp fighting places, all over tamriel, the rise of the gladiators arenas, with great xp gain, dashboard, duels, group events.
    every city should have a place like this, with ultimate fighting championship every day and a montly dashboard with te top ten classified: great loot and great reward will make this entertainment even more taste
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other

Good way to get yourself banned too. Whether or not the people were purposefully taking your mobs would be hard to prove. Openly boasting that your solution is to follow them around and ruin their experience is against the rules. Think before you speak. We cannot say whatever we want. There are rules.

The first rule of Follow them Around and Ruin their Experience Club is...

XD
  • Tolmos
    Tolmos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Call on your grinding buds to out-grind them so they do nothing but waste time
    The way I figure it, they are likely trying to make grinding in that location uncomfortable for you so that you will leave.

Time to swap over to a high burst damage spec, get a couple of friends involved, and play the same game. Give them a reason to want to move to a new location :)
  • Chaos0720
    Chaos0720
    ✭✭✭

The first rule of Follow them Around and Ruin their Experience Club is...

XD

....the same as fight club? Don't talk about it? XD
  • Tolmos
    Tolmos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Call on your grinding buds to out-grind them so they do nothing but waste time
    grinding in eso will finish once we'll have:
    tamriel unlimited tournament: a pve and pvp fighting places, all over tamriel, the rise of the gladiators arenas, with great xp gain, dashboard, duels, group events.
    every city should have a place like this, with ultimate fighting championship every day and a montly dashboard with te top ten classified: great loot and great reward will make this entertainment even more taste

The would be one of the most amazing things I've seen in an MMO. So amazing that I'm certain it would never get implemented, just because every time I think to myself "Holy crap, that would be AWESOME" in an MMO, its chance of happening dwindles to 0. :-P
  • Chaos0720
    Chaos0720
    ✭✭✭
    Tolmos wrote: »
    The way I figure it, they are likely trying to make grinding in that location uncomfortable for you so that you will leave.

Time to swap over to a high burst damage spec, get a couple of friends involved, and play the same game. Give them a reason to want to move to a new location :)

:( We're not allowed to play that game. Why are you people happy about being d bags. It doesn't make you cool and there is no justification to being an a** in game just because you feel entitled to something and think that someone is screwing you over.

I would ask if we were a bunch of children on here, but I think I already know the answer.
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    What an extraordinarily puerile, arrogant and fatuous post. No you do not have a claim to mobs or dungeons. Also grinding in popular locales and expecting such exclusivity (Lipsand Tarn, Cracked Wood Cave, etc) is beyond laughable. Players who are interrupting "your" grind may not be aware that they are depleting the flow of xp, they may think they are helping. New players join regularly. Finally telling someone to leave, as though you have special claim to an area is most likely to irritate them and exacerbate the situation.

I've helped many that were trying to get to VR14 lately. Most of these don't know about some of the XP specifics. If you would read a little more closely you'll see that I'm not of the belief that anyone owns or is entitled to anything. Funny how so many assume that the few options I provided accurately reflect my stance. I made it easy and voted, but you just had to read it. On the contrary, I prefer that until ZOS provides better areas for all, that we work together. My post is about those who are not interested in being considerate of others based on the actions that they project.
    Edited by Sacadon on July 5, 2015 10:39PM