Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Grinding Etiquette

Sacadon
Sacadon
✭✭✭✭✭
> Aside from the fact that ZOS creates significant anti-social situations such as reduced XP for a groups of more than 2 combined with a new vertical progression system and no new content.

> And regardless of whether or not you think grinding is acceptable

> In the event you are grinding mobs with another player and another one shows up and rapidly starts tagging your pulls (leeching XP) and also jumping in front of mobs and killing them when you pull them. Several attempts are made to communicate with this player to no avail and they are clearly not just ignorant to their actions but intentionally dismissing the impact to your quality of game-play.

Should you (poll options)?

Defined: Griefing is the act of chronically causing consternation to other members of an online community, or more specifically, intentionally disrupting the immersion of another player in their gameplay.
Edited by Sacadon on July 5, 2015 7:13PM

Grinding Etiquette 171 votes

Report them for griefing and leave
9%
AttorneyatlawlRook_MasterHalkeSavinavladimilianoub17_ESO1NatjurFfastylpeacewishesMoezillaYinmaigaosymonatorvonScuzzmanWolfgangArmadeusdrakeos99FanaticlucidJoejoebagginSedoUmbra 17 votes
Immediately leave and do nothing more
13%
michaelb14a_ESO2JandoLisaDanikatMuizeranitajoneb17_ESOMarsgodofwarpitkanencomplexeb17_ESOChuggernautDerNachtfaltertheroyalestpythonnub18_ESOVisMashilleWorstluckRa1nephairdonsadownikdabulls7491LordBurlTennetty 23 votes
Call on your grinding buds to out-grind them so they do nothing but waste time
24%
jnjdun_ESODiviniusPerphectionseratinEuckenWodwoJunipusObservantpatrykplawskib16_ESOAshannegjmgamesub17_ESOGregX_NOVIA_Xadriant1978dlepi24Darklord_TiberiusKeriokodsalterF7sus4DDuke 42 votes
Other
52%
GloryStorm_knight22Koopak9mousekevlarto_ESOSlurgCaligamy_ESOFissheventide03b14a_ESOPsychobunnicoryevans_3b14_ESOMajiinxNotSoStalwart385CallunaTalconAmsel_McKayXantariaGaldorPTeiji 89 votes
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    e965339ef2f7ec69cd723354f029a41d30c64e75d91374cb6f7900631386feaa.jpg
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Nobody has the the only rights to any given mobs in any given area. I recognize that you asked about etiquette, but obviously everyone has different lengths they are willing to go to in order to earn cp.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • Akavir_Sentinel
    Akavir_Sentinel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    blmWWrj.jpg?1

So, if you are there by yourself grinding a group of mobs it's fine, but if someone else shows up to do the same it's griefing? No.

This is not a single player RPG. The mobs are not yours. You have to share the zones and popular grinding spots with everyone else. If someone else shows up, either keep on grinding for reduced XP or find another spot.
    Edited by Akavir_Sentinel on July 5, 2015 7:17PM
    Can't find the items you are looking for? Need a place to trade? We welcome ESO players of all platforms at ESO Trade, the home for trading of goods and services in the lands of Tamriel.
  • RavenSkylord
    RavenSkylord
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Calling griefing over someone else playing the game? That is absurd, if you want to play a game by yourself there are plenty of options, expecting the entire player base to conform to your expectations is pretty arrogant, even by MMO standards
  • Chaos0720
    Chaos0720
    ✭✭✭
    blmWWrj.jpg?1

So, if you are there by yourself grinding a group of mobs it's fine, but if someone else shows up to do the same it's griefing? No.

This is not a single player RPG. The mobs are not yours. You have to share the zones and popular grinding spots with everyone else. If someone else shows up, either keep on grinding for reduced XP or find another spot.

I second this.
  • ColoursYouHave
    ColoursYouHave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh wow, I didn't realize that people could claim mobs in this game that other players aren't allowed to kill...
  • VincentBlanquin
    VincentBlanquin
    ✭✭✭
    Grinders will destroy the game. Wake up ZOS
    Irwen Vincinter - Nord - Dragonknight
    Irw´en - Bosmer - Nightblade
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    blmWWrj.jpg?1

So, if you are there by yourself grinding a group of mobs, but if someone else shows up to do the same it's griefing? No.

Love the pic, please re-read the poll though. The scenario is that 2 people are grinding (3 is crowd) and another shows up and intentionally tags the mobs your group is killing.

Clearly the mobs are not mine or anyone's for that matter. That's why this is about etiquette. If I see two players grinding, I know that If I start it detracts from their XP. So I will go elsewhere or wait till only one person is there. This is basic courtesy IMO, but I don't see that many share this belief. And was curious to hear from our overly-friendly forum community.

FWIW don't like single player RPGs.
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    You could try bargaining with them. For example if you just popped an XP scroll you could try something like "hey man, mind coming back in 15-20 minutes when my XP pot runs out?

If that doesn't work deal or log and try again later. Having multiple characters might help.
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Nobody has the the only rights to any given mobs in any given area. I recognize that you asked about etiquette, but obviously everyone has different lengths they are willing to go to in order to earn cp.

Are you sure. I thought I owned the mobs around my personal play space. LOL. Yes, clearly no ownership.
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Oh wow, I didn't realize that people could claim mobs in this game that other players aren't allowed to kill...

Learn something new every day don't you. Clearly no one can claim mobs.
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Nobody own any particular spot, and there's no system in place to "wait your turn". All that remains is to not be a [snip].

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Cursing & Profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on July 5, 2015 10:41PM
    Gar'Sol the Wanderer VR14 Khajiit Sorcerer Spellblade
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    You could try bargaining with them. For example if you just popped an XP scroll you could try something like "hey man, mind coming back in 15-20 minutes when my XP pot runs out?

If that doesn't work deal or log and try again later. Having multiple characters might help.

Agreed, and sincerely appreciate you not assuming I was naive enough to believe I owned mobs.

Yeah even more so with people paying a lot for the scrolls or even the pots, only to have 1 and many times more show up and just take over the area. Just not very cool. I know it's going to happen and I deal with it just fine. Just thought it would be interesting to hear others perspective on this.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    I've been on the end of this where I am farming, minding my own business, and someone does what the op states, but calls me the griefer.

Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I've been on the end of this where I am farming, minding my own business, and someone does what the op states, but calls me the griefer.
    Wow, I've not had that one yet... that's craziness
  • Chaos0720
    Chaos0720
    ✭✭✭

See in honestly the way I see it is, if someone is fighting a mob (I don't know where the grind spots are and I honestly don't care, I'm gaining xp just find), I feel like a *** for not helping them. So what I end up doing is sitting back and checking the health bars to see who's winning and step in if necessary, or rez them if they die.

Etiquette is a gray area because what is defined as good etiquette for one person could vastly vary for another. I personally don't care if I'm killing something and people join in. More people = faster kill = more time to go kill something else. So to me its not that important.

Except for dark chains... if i haven't completed one, my etiquette goes out the door. Lol.
  • Akavir_Sentinel
    Akavir_Sentinel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    This is just one of those things you are going to have to deal with when thousands of other random, anonymous people are playing the same game as you. I've seen posts like these a hundred times on this forum. Someone stole my mobs, someone keeps killing this boss, someone stole my ore node while I was fighting the mobs around it, etc....

Long story short, anonymity does not lend itself to civility or courtesy.
    Can't find the items you are looking for? Need a place to trade? We welcome ESO players of all platforms at ESO Trade, the home for trading of goods and services in the lands of Tamriel.
  • ColoursYouHave
    ColoursYouHave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience playing this game, its the grinders' etiquette we should be questioning. I've had people grinding yell at me for killing the mobs that I need to finish a quest. While I've certainly run into some courteous grinders, who have politely asked me if I could go somewhere else (in which case, I usually do), most of the time I just get whispers akin to "STOP KILLING MY MOBS!!!!!", in which case I usually stick around longer than I normally would and politely tell them where they can shove those mobs.

When leveling I usually just do solo questing, but when I find a spot with a lot of mobs that respawn pretty quickly, I'll stick around for a while and grind them. But then I run into someone who thinks they have more of a right than I do to kill mobs in the game, and it just kinda makes me chuckle.
  • Stalwart385
    Stalwart385
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I have been leveling through areas and people were gathering all the mobs grinding them. Im not going to miss out on my xp while in the area. I proceed to aoe the mobs they gather while going between my quest markers. They've complained but I dont give two *****. I have just as much right to get the xp as they do. They have to deal with me till I'm finished in the area. Your foolish if you think you have some claim in an area and everyone should stay out. Im going to get my xp while I level through the areas. Im a passer by while I quest, but even if someone stays in your spot, tough luck move on. Its not like your playing the game the way it is supposed to.

Ive grinded dungeons and when someone comes through I take a min and let them get their run. If they want to kep running it also, I accept it or move on.
  • Chaos0720
    Chaos0720
    ✭✭✭
    This is just one of those things you are going to have to deal with when thousands of other random, anonymous people are playing the same game as you. I've seen posts like these a hundred times on this forum. Someone stole my mobs, someone keeps killing this boss, someone stole my ore node while I was fighting the mobs around it, etc....

Long story short, anonymity does not lend itself to civility or courtesy.

My advice... Prioritize lol. You run into an area with a locked chest, rune stone, and ore deposit. Decide what you want the most, because there are people, both just stumbling around doing missions and grinding alike, that have just as much right as anyone else. There is no "dibs" system. I don't like how it works, but I know it's a traditional mmo thing.

One of the few saving graces with Destiny (I'm sorry people) is that there was a window of time that every person in the area could farm the same material before disappearing. But I guess they did it that way cause they don't claim to be an MMO.
  • VincentBlanquin
    VincentBlanquin
    ✭✭✭
    still think its troll post, always look for better things in people.

otherwise, this is prime example why we cant have nice game
    Irwen Vincinter - Nord - Dragonknight
    Irw´en - Bosmer - Nightblade
  • Yinmaigao
    Yinmaigao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Report them for griefing and leave
    It is still really damn annoying if you pull 3 or 4 to aoe down and someone comes and drops aoes on your pile or worse, pulls them off of you while you are clumping them up.

The big problems are two-fold: ZoS making you hate other players for ruining your efficiency, and people having no [snip] to give for other people's quality of life.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Cursing & Profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on July 5, 2015 10:53PM
  • Chaos0720
    Chaos0720
    ✭✭✭
    Yinmaigao wrote: »
    It is still really damn annoying if you pull 3 or 4 to aoe down and someone comes and drops aoes on your pile or worse, pulls them off of you while you are clumping them up.

The big problems are two-fold: ZoS making you hate other players for ruining your efficiency, and people having no f*cks to give for other people's quality of life.

Quality of life.... are you serious? If people taking a kill for you in a massively MULTIplayer ONLINE role playing game effects your quality of life, then you have more problems in the head then I do.

I will not argue that it's annoying... but give me a break... quality of life.
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    still think its troll post, always look for better things in people.

otherwise, this is prime example why we cant have nice game

Definitely not a troll post. Agreed on always looking for better things in people... Of course easier said than done sometimes. But still important to focus on.
  • Psychobunni
    Psychobunni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Other = suck it up buttercup :D

Yes, the xp set up sucks, but you are no more entitled to any mob than anyone else is in Tamriel
    If options weren't necessary, and everyone played the same way, no one would use addons. Fix the UI!

• Sithisvoid
    Sithisvoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Other=QQ
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    In my experience playing this game, its the grinders' etiquette we should be questioning. I've had people grinding yell at me for killing the mobs that I need to finish a quest. While I've certainly run into some courteous grinders, who have politely asked me if I could go somewhere else (in which case, I usually do), most of the time I just get whispers akin to "STOP KILLING MY MOBS!!!!!", in which case I usually stick around longer than I normally would and politely tell them where they can shove those mobs.

When leveling I usually just do solo questing, but when I find a spot with a lot of mobs that respawn pretty quickly, I'll stick around for a while and grind them. But then I run into someone who thinks they have more of a right than I do to kill mobs in the game, and it just kinda makes me chuckle.

Agreed on the impact to questing. I don't grind in areas that impact quest lines for this reason. Sometimes the mobs are just there and are not critical to the quest line, but still a key part of the area. And since I've done Cadwells more times than I care to admit, I also know that if you don't kill these mobs and just turn in quests you will fall behind on XP. So when I see someone in such an area I always ask them to let me know if they want me to stop until they're done so I don't jack up what they're trying to do.

Yeah, sucks that some grinders are so rude. After all there are real people at the other end of that toon.
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Other = suck it up buttercup :D

Yes, the xp set up sucks, but you are no more entitled to any mob than anyone else is in Tamriel

This made me LOL. How you read entitlement from the post is not clear, but I'll never pass on a chance to be called buttercup. awesome for you.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    I would be seriously surprised if reporting players you think are griefing, especially in this example, was taken seriously by ZOS. And just how long should someone who comes upon you grinding be expected to wait before it's 'their turn'?
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Uh... Im the Vestige. Any time I want to grind other people should leave.