Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [EXTENDED] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 4:00PM EDT (20:00 UTC)

Help with current build?

theghost133
Hey all, quick question:

I've been a long time player of Elder Scrolls games but never really quite played an MMO before until this one. That being said As far as my build goes...well....it kinda sucks to say the least. I tried experimenting by re-alloting my skill points and attribute points but even though I pooled more into stamina than I did before it seems my bow abilities lost a lot of damage output. Being level 32 you'd think I'd get the jist of it by now but unfortunately I'm still learning; anyway, could someone recommend where to align my attribute points if not skills (I have enough money to redo this again if need be) for someone who does a lot of pvp?

My character is a dunmer nightblade-archer who typically travels in a group for PVP. I'm looking for something that offers good survivability in PVP and good/great DPS output
Current loadout and attributes are:
    Attr:
  • Health: 10
  • Stamina: 18
  • Magicka: 4
    Skills:
  1. Magnum Shot
  2. Snipe
  3. Poison Injection
  4. Crippling Grasp
  5. Swallow Soul
  6. WW ultimate
Thanks for any help!
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    My personal preferences are:

1. Draining shot. As an archer snares are your best friend. That and your less likely to bounce yourself backwards into a group of enemies or off a cliff. A well timed dodge roll and the passives Athletics and Hasty Retreat will serve you better than the knock back from Magnum Shot.
    2. Lethal Arrow. Considering the amount of healing abilities that get thrown around in both pvp and pve, I feel it's the better investment.
    3. Venom Arrow. That interrupt can save your life and pairs well with the Opportunist CP ability.
    4. Bombard. Immobilizes multiple targets better choice over Crippling Grasp.
    5. Swallow Soul. Not a particularly great heal but passable for keeping your hp up while you wait out the cooldown on your potions and the bonus healing is always nice.
    6. Soul Tether. Low cost AoE stun that actually heals pretty well.

I'd also recommend investing most if not all of your points into health rather than stamina. Yes more stamina means more damage but more health means better survivability. Not to mention the returns for each attribute point spent on health are better. You can make up the difference by enchanting your gear with stamina glyphs.

Other skills that might also interest you:

Power Extraction for increased damage.
    Relentless Focus for the stamina regen.
    Leeching Strikes. Reduced damage but restores hp,mp and stam.
    Dark Cloak for obvious reasons.
    Edited by Fruitmass on July 1, 2015 5:13AM
    Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...
  • theghost133
    Thanks I'll give those a try! But any idea why since resetting my skill points even though I pooled more points into stamina the damage and range of my bow skills reduced so drastically?
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    Off the top of my head I can't think of a reason for that to happen.

Changes to your equipment maybe? Are you keeping your weapon runes charged?
    Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the list for testing is kinda long.... here is a short version:

Have you tested that on a specific npc? You need to do that because: If you are only testing your dps in pvp, other players can wear armor that protects them to a degree toward your attacks, or they have higher veteran ranked chars, and have used champion points to protect them from your kind of attacks.

-Have you changed armor since then? If yes, have you changed the trait or do you wear glyphs on your new armor?
    -Have you changed weapons since then? If yes, have you changed the trait, or do you wear glyphs on your new weapon? Do you remember to recharge your weapon enchantment?
    -Have you changed jewelry since then? If yes, do they have new enchantment on them?
    -Have you changed your mundus stone?
    -Have you changed the skills you normally use? Some skills provide a passive bonus - some other skills provide bonus if you have used skillpoints in the passives of the specific skill line.
    -Is your armor damaged and need repair?

When you did a respec of your attributes, did you remember to also use skillpoints on the passive skills of your race, class, armor, weapons and mageguild/ fighters guild/ undaunted guild?

Is your home campaign beneficial to you, or is it taken over by another faction and you no longer have your good pvp buffs?

Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on July 1, 2015 8:15PM
  • theghost133
    It just fixed itself, it looks to be a result of the skill respec...I have a theory that since skills get better the more they are leveled up it's possible that the respec changed the DPS and range back to what it would've been provided I hadn't leveled up the ability....again, just a theory. I just reached the next level in one of the abilities and it would appear the damage is back to what it was before. Thanks for all the help though!
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes a spell can be close to be lvl'ed, then when you use a skillpoint on another skill or passive, then the skill goes a little back. The skill does not go back, once it is fully lvl'ed though.