The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

@ZOS, Base PVP is the solution.

• Slonekb05
    Slonekb05
    ✭✭✭
    dlepi24 wrote: »
    I feel like a "base" or "standard" type of PvP would be awful. The beauty of the game is the crazy customizable characters you can create. You don't have to have a cookie-cutter build to be successful. Everyone running around with the same handful of builds would be boring (yes, I understand there are FOTM builds but you don't have to use one to be successful). I enjoy coming up against a stam sorc who has found a way to be successful or a DK who isn't using the same build as everyone else. I just feel like making a few universal builds to choose from would be an awful way to go and I doubt they would ever implement it.

Read post again, would not be "Standard builds" you would still choose your build from all skills your class has.
    Edited by Slonekb05 on June 30, 2015 10:08PM
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Slonekb05 wrote: »
    I feel like a "base" or "standard" type of PvP would be awful. The beauty of the game is the crazy customizable characters you can create. You don't have to have a cookie-cutter build to be successful. Everyone running around with the same handful of builds would be boring (yes, I understand there are FOTM builds but you don't have to use one to be successful). I enjoy coming up against a stam sorc who has found a way to be successful or a DK who isn't using the same build as everyone else. I just feel like making a few universal builds to choose from would be an awful way to go and I doubt they would ever implement it.

Read post again, would not be "Standard builds" you would still choose your build from all skills your class has.
    When choosing a new campaign you are prompted to make a build (can not change your class), you get to choose your style of armor (Armor is only for skills associated with said armor) and base weapons. You are given (X) amount of Skills points and full access to all skills/morphs.Thats it, once you allocate your points you are set with that build for the duration of campaign.

This is my least favourite part of your suggestion as it cripples build diversity and creativity.
    Personally change my skills and build around on the fly; have certainly never spent the entirety of a campaign duration with a single build.
    Have even swapped from a Stamina gank build, to a magicka DPS build, to a full healing build in a single evening.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Merkabeh
    Merkabeh
    ✭✭✭

And what about builds that rely on set gear synergies to be effective? Where is you answer to that in your solution? Right there builds are limited; or is it we can now choose any set bonuses we want too?

Then I have to ask, why not just play the game and get there through the systems already provided to give you access to all the abilities and gear sets?
    Crusader of The Knights of the Alessian Order

Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!" - Sallington

#CommunicationEquality
  • sagitter
    sagitter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No ;) What i like about this game is customization and theorycrafting.
  • coryevans_3b14_ESO
    coryevans_3b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Long story short, not everyone is equal. PvP or otherwise. The sooner you come to terms with this, the better.

All im am suggestion is a separate mode where you are on equal ground. Guild wars figured it out, not that difficult.

Yup, guild wars figured it out. I lasted 2 weeks in that game when I realized in pvp I'm not the same character. Kind of ruined it for me. (and others that I'm aware of, no idea how many though).
  • whiteshadow711jppreub18_ESO
    whiteshadow711jppreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO.
    Signed, Kotaro Atani.PS5 NA
    VR16/ CP 160 Khajiit Nightblade of the Aldmeri Dominion, Guildmaster and Assassin of the Queen's Hand guild on NA PC. PvP Officer in the WOLF guild on NA PS5, and of course Master Thief. Currently 3120 CP out of 3600 CP on NA PS5. Currently 810 CP on NA PC (used for PTS testing purposes only). On PS5 I am also a Master Crafter, all traits done and learned, Jewelry crafting done. all Motifs learned on PS5 except for maybe two-three Motifs. Both Companions are Max level as are their Skills.Warrior, Lover, Thief.... Nightblade. Aldmeri Dominion For Life! For the Queen!! Go Dominion or go home ! "I have no hatred for the races of Man, but they are young. Like all children, they are driven by emotion. They lack the wisdom that comes with age. I would sooner place an Altmer infant on the Ruby Throne than surrender Tamriel to their capricious whims. The Altmer, the Bosmer and the Khajiit share the common traits of intelligence, patience and reason. We do not seek riches or plunder. Domination is not our goal, nor is the acclamation of power for its own sake. Today we make our stand. Today we take back the Ruby Throne, which is ours by ancient right and the blessings of the Divines. Stand with us." ―Your Queen Commands, Ayrenn Arana Aldmeri.(All 18 characters are AD only! This one is a AD Loyalist)Member of ESO Since January 29, 2014, started early Access 3/30/14 on PC, currently subbed on NA PS5 and on NA PC. Note- I only use PC for PTS testing purposes, the PS5 is my dedicated Game Platform.Note- for those that don't know how to say Kotaro Atani it's "Ko tar row Ah ta ni" (Ko with a Oh sound, tar which sounds like the sticky black tar stuff, row like rowing a boat, Ah with a AHHHH sound, Ta with a Tahhh sound, Neeee which sounds like knee)"The blowing sands of time wipe clean the footprints of the past...""Moonsugar may be the key to paradise, but it is through a false door...""A perfect society is always elsewhere..."- Unknown book of Khajiiti proverbs.
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I read the OP, my thoughts range from "Nope" to "OH HAIL NO".

W/out knowing anything about your build, class, skills, CP, etc it would be hard to hazard any sort of guess as to why you couldn't kill an AFK player. Certainly, a single thought does come to mind, but that wouldn't be very kind to assume of you.

But your story is pretty much the exact opposite of most everybody's experiences when it comes to attacking a player. TTK is extremely low right now, so your anecdote seems... questionable.
  • Slonekb05
    Slonekb05
    ✭✭✭
    Varicite wrote: »

W/out knowing anything about your build, class, skills, CP, etc it would be hard to hazard any sort of guess as to why you couldn't kill an AFK player. Certainly, a single thought does come to mind, but that wouldn't be very kind to assume of you.

But your story is pretty much the exact opposite of most everybody's experiences when it comes to attacking a player. TTK is extremely low right now, so your anecdote seems... questionable.

Even if you assume im the worst player in all of ESO, still should have killed someone AFK lol. Not that it should matter, but my build is a melee sorcerer. stood behind player and used all dark/lighting magic abilities available to me. plus standard melee atks of course.

• J2JMC
    J2JMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey man you already have battle leveling. You don't realize how powerful that crap is until you watch your character lose 8k magicka and 10k health stats in less than 5 minutes because you went from level 49 to vet 1. I logged out because of the trauma. Almost contemplated making an alt and I haven't even finished coldharbour yet .
    Knee Jerk, L2P, Obtuse, Casual, Entitled, All The Best, unnecessary mention of CoD

Battle leveling for pve content defeats the idea of progression. Remove CP

"Apparently the players are more informed than we are"-Richard Lambert

• Slonekb05
    Slonekb05
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoying reading reply's. Some good points about armor builds with synergy. Im not saying my idea is full proof by any means. Would like to see another option is all.
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if you assume im the worst player in all of ESO, still should have killed someone AFK lol. Not that it should matter, but my build is a melee sorcerer. stood behind player and used all dark/lighting magic abilities available to me. plus standard melee atks of course.

It absolutely should matter, as battle leveling evens out the playing field stat-wise. Thus, if looking for the culprit, one is forced to look at the other factors: build, class, skills, weapons, CP, etc.

I don't know a lot about your build, but it doesn't seem to be very effective damage-wise just from the sounds of it. Melee Sorc is the weakest class build in the game, though this alone should never bar you from killing an enemy (some do quite well w/ it).

Then you go on to say that you used all dark / lightning magic abilities. Is your build focused on spellpower and max magicka, the stats that actually boost your Sorc skills, or on stamina / weapon damage, the stats that boost melee abilities?

Standard melee attacks, is that light attacks?

As I said, what you described happening is questionable at best, so you basically leave us to either try to figure out how something like that could happen w/in the mechanics of the game, or simply discount that it happened outright.
  • Slonekb05
    Slonekb05
    ✭✭✭

It absolutely should matter, as battle leveling evens out the playing field stat-wise. Thus, if looking for the culprit, one is forced to look at the other factors: build, class, skills, weapons, CP, etc.

I don't know a lot about your build, but it doesn't seem to be very effective damage-wise just from the sounds of it. Melee Sorc is the weakest class build in the game, though this alone should never bar you from killing an enemy (some do quite well w/ it).

Then you go on to say that you used all dark / lightning magic abilities. Is your build focused on spellpower and max magicka, the stats that actually boost your Sorc skills, or on stamina / weapon damage, the stats that boost melee abilities?

As I said, what you described happening is questionable at best, so you basically leave us to either try to figure out how something like that could happen w/in the mechanics of the game, or simply discount that it happened outright.

the whole point is i couldn't kill a player who was AFK, I could have been naked with a wooden spoon and should have been able to kill this person lol. build is irrelevant to the conversation really, But since your curious he is 80%magic, 20% melee. Iv only focused on dark/lighting hybrid pure dmg. No points in pet tree, Few pts in "heavy weapon passive" for DMG, one 2h weapon skill on ability bar which is "brawler" not sure of all names of skills but rest on ability bar are dark/lighting dmg spells.
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

the whole point is i couldn't kill a player who was AFK, I could have been naked with a wooden spoon and should have been able to kill this person lol. build is irrelevant to the conversation really, But since your curious he is 80%magic, 20% melee. Iv only focused on dark/lighting hybrid pure dmg. No points in pet tree, Few pts in "heavy weapon passive" for DMG, one 2h weapon skill on ability bar which is "brawler" not sure of all names of skills but rest on ability bar are dark/lighting dmg spells.

Well, the whole point is yes, you should have been able to kill this person. If you couldn't, there is probably something else going on.

If you don't want to give details to what that something else could be, then most are simply going to be inclined to either call you a liar or a terrible player, and even if you were the latter you should still have been able to kill him.

So it seems more like the former. But even however it seems, I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

/shrug

I've never had a problem killing other players even on lv10 battle-leveled toons, though I've been playing this game since Early Access and most of my builds are pretty optimized (well, as much as they can be at lv10, lol).

Could it be that perhaps you are exaggerating how long you were actually beating on him? The only thing that I could think of is that you were just hitting him w/ light attacks the whole time, but you've said otherwise.
  • Slonekb05
    Slonekb05
    ✭✭✭

Well, the whole point is yes, you should have been able to kill this person. If you couldn't, there is probably something else going on.

If you don't want to give details to what that something else could be, then most are simply going to be inclined to either call you a liar or a terrible player, and even if you were the latter you should still have been able to kill him.

So it seems more like the former. But even however it seems, I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

/shrug

I've never had a problem killing other players even on lv10 battle-leveled toons, though I've been playing this game since Early Access and most of my builds are pretty optimized (well, as much as they can be at lv10, lol).

Could it be that perhaps you are exaggerating how long you were actually beating on him? The only thing that I could think of is that you were just hitting him w/ light attacks the whole time, but you've said otherwise.

/shrug

The time is an estimate but not exaggerated, could be off by 5-10 sec at most. The only example i can think of in my head.. and this may be an awful example. In call of duty or battlefield...someone can be max lv with all the perks, guns, etc. I walk into the match at Lv1..yes im at a disadvantage ...but i can still kill that person...my guns work. In the circumstance im talking about, it did not even seem possible. Well i wont say impossible, like i said if i had another uninterrupted 2min, yes he would have died.. but you see my point.

Edited by Slonekb05 on July 1, 2015 12:05AM
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude just make it to v14 and there you have it...
  • Slonekb05
    Slonekb05
    ✭✭✭
    TheBull wrote: »
    Dude just make it to v14 and there you have it...

Then i will have the advantage over anyone who is not VR14.....same problem . would like some actual skill to be involved rather than.. i win because i have played 300+ hrs and you only have 50+

Edited by Slonekb05 on July 1, 2015 12:13AM
  • RIzmyy
    RIzmyy
    ✭✭
    It's all skill or the spam of a button. Just practice and you will be able to kill them eventually. It's be just a lack of knowledge to PvP. (Sorry if I'm sounding rude, I don't intend to).
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [/quote]

The time is an estimate but not exaggerated, could be off by 5-10 sec at most. The only example i can think of in my head.. and this may be an awful example. In call of duty or battlefield...someone can be max lv with all the perks, guns, etc. I walk into the match at Lv1..yes im at a disadvantage ...but i can still kill that person...my guns work. In the circumstance im talking about, it did not even seem possible. Well i wont say impossible, like i said if i had another uninterrupted 2min, yes he would have died.. but you see my point.

[/quote]

This ain't call of duty, there are no head or heart shots.. how do you know that this guy didn't set his build up to be a Tank, what if all his jewelry was extra armor, what if all his armor wasn't Reinforced or even Nirnhoned for max spell resistance.. plus he could have been a ALT of a VR player who has alot of Champion points.. even if your not VR level you still get to have Champion points on a non VR character, you just cant earn them on that character..
    VR16/ CP 160 Khajiit Nightblade of the Aldmeri Dominion, Guildmaster and Assassin of the Queen's Hand guild on NA PC. PvP Officer in the WOLF guild on NA PS5, and of course Master Thief. Currently 3120 CP out of 3600 CP on NA PS5. Currently 810 CP on NA PC (used for PTS testing purposes only). On PS5 I am also a Master Crafter, all traits done and learned, Jewelry crafting done. all Motifs learned on PS5 except for maybe two-three Motifs. Both Companions are Max level as are their Skills.Warrior, Lover, Thief.... Nightblade. Aldmeri Dominion For Life! For the Queen!! Go Dominion or go home ! "I have no hatred for the races of Man, but they are young. Like all children, they are driven by emotion. They lack the wisdom that comes with age. I would sooner place an Altmer infant on the Ruby Throne than surrender Tamriel to their capricious whims. The Altmer, the Bosmer and the Khajiit share the common traits of intelligence, patience and reason. We do not seek riches or plunder. Domination is not our goal, nor is the acclamation of power for its own sake. Today we make our stand. Today we take back the Ruby Throne, which is ours by ancient right and the blessings of the Divines. Stand with us." ―Your Queen Commands, Ayrenn Arana Aldmeri.(All 18 characters are AD only! This one is a AD Loyalist)Member of ESO Since January 29, 2014, started early Access 3/30/14 on PC, currently subbed on NA PS5 and on NA PC. Note- I only use PC for PTS testing purposes, the PS5 is my dedicated Game Platform.Note- for those that don't know how to say Kotaro Atani it's "Ko tar row Ah ta ni" (Ko with a Oh sound, tar which sounds like the sticky black tar stuff, row like rowing a boat, Ah with a AHHHH sound, Ta with a Tahhh sound, Neeee which sounds like knee)"The blowing sands of time wipe clean the footprints of the past...""Moonsugar may be the key to paradise, but it is through a false door...""A perfect society is always elsewhere..."- Unknown book of Khajiiti proverbs.
  • Slonekb05
    Slonekb05
    ✭✭✭
    RIzmyy wrote: »
    It's all skill or the spam of a button. Just practice and you will be able to kill them eventually. It's be just a lack of knowledge to PvP. (Sorry if I'm sounding rude, I don't intend to).

Your not getting the gist of the post. Nothing to do with skill or knowledge of pvp. I couldn't kill someone standing afk cause they were lv 40 and i was 15.

• Slonekb05
    Slonekb05
    ✭✭✭

[/quote]

This ain't call of duty, there are no head or heart shots.. how do you know that this guy didn't set his build up to be a Tank, what if all his jewelry was extra armor, what if all his armor wasn't Reinforced or even Nirnhoned for max spell resistance.. plus he could have been a ALT of a VR player who has alot of Champion points.. even if your not VR level you still get to have Champion points on a non VR character, you just cant earn them on that character..
    [/quote

that was an example that your not understanding . I don't care if your MAX VR ,Max champion pts, i should be able to kill you if your standing AFK for over a min not defending yourself.
  • I55UE5
    I55UE5
    ✭✭✭
    You should learn battle level.
    ✭✭✭✭✭

that was an example that your not understanding . I don't care if your MAX VR ,Max champion pts, i should be able to kill you if your standing AFK for over a min not defending yourself.

Nope, you are not understanding, it ain't that type of game.. the guy must have went AFK, then came back, saw you were trying to kill him and took you down.

I used to know someone that when they went AFK, they set a key on his keyboard to [BLOCK] and then put a penny in it and be in sneak until he came back, but this took effect on a console correct ??
    Edited by whiteshadow711jppreub18_ESO on July 1, 2015 2:39AM
  • Cernow
    Cernow
    ✭✭✭✭

Your not getting the gist of the post. Nothing to do with skill or knowledge of pvp. I couldn't kill someone standing afk cause they were lv 40 and i was 15.

Given the levels, I'm assuming this happened in a non-veteran campaign?

If so, both of you would be Battle Leveled, so your stats would be very similar. The gear you are wearing would be Battle leveled too and wouldn't be a factor. If the level 40 was a 'twink' he might have some nice 5-piece set bonuses which could help, but it wouldn't make a massive difference in the situation you described (beating on him afk).

So there's two possibilities:

1) The level 40 had a large amount of Champion Points and had put lots of them into damage mitigation passives. Also possibly some skill points put into certain damage mitigation passives too.

2) Your build is the problem, causing you to hit like a wet lettuce. You mentioned being 80% magic / 20% melee, but using a 2h sword as your primary weapon. This might be part of the problem. You really need to stick to either magicka or stamina builds, hybrids don't work so well, especially for Sorcerer which doesn't have a lot of synergy with stamina currently. Also, Brawler doesn't hit very hard, it's mostly used for the damage shield.
  • Slonekb05
    Slonekb05
    ✭✭✭
    Cernow wrote: »

Given the levels, I'm assuming this happened in a non-veteran campaign?

If so, both of you would be Battle Leveled, so your stats would be very similar. The gear you are wearing would be Battle leveled too and wouldn't be a factor. If the level 40 was a 'twink' he might have some nice 5-piece set bonuses which could help, but it wouldn't make a massive difference in the situation you described (beating on him afk).

So there's two possibilities:

1) The level 40 had a large amount of Champion Points and had put lots of them into damage mitigation passives. Also possibly some skill points put into certain damage mitigation passives too.

2) Your build is the problem, causing you to hit like a wet lettuce. You mentioned being 80% magic / 20% melee, but using a 2h sword as your primary weapon. This might be part of the problem. You really need to stick to either magicka or stamina builds, hybrids don't work so well, especially for Sorcerer which doesn't have a lot of synergy with stamina currently. Also, Brawler doesn't hit very hard, it's mostly used for the damage shield.

Then the PVP is just broke, if you cant kill someone who is AFK just because they are higher lv game needs fixed.

• Slonekb05
    Slonekb05
    ✭✭✭

Nope, you are not understanding, it ain't that type of game.. the guy must have went AFK, then came back, saw you were trying to kill him and took you down.

I used to know someone that when they went AFK, they set a key on his keyboard to [BLOCK] and then put a penny in it and be in sneak until he came back, but this took effect on a console correct ??

I understand how the game works, and im questioning how it works. This player was AFK for almost a full 60sec and i was able to do very little dmg,Thats just broke. If this is the case then ZOS should put lower lv's into a completely different bracket . 10-20, 20-30, etc. or do some version of my original suggestion.
    Edited by Slonekb05 on July 1, 2015 2:57AM
  • Sledgemoto
    Sledgemoto
    ✭✭
    No. If you want to be effective in PvP, then put in the time and level up, get the gear, get the skills, and learn to play your class like everyone else has.

That makes 0 sense, So your saying.. if im Lv 10 and skill wise im a much better player than my enemy, i mean its not even close, but since hes lv 30-50 i cant win? makes ZERO sense

umm yes it does, can you kill a NPC thats 20 levels higher than you? Why should you be able to kill a player that's 20-30 levels higher than you I don't get your logic.
  • Cernow
    Cernow
    ✭✭✭✭

Then the PVP is just broke, if you cant kill someone who is AFK just because they are higher lv game needs fixed.

PvP is somewhat broken, but not for the reason you think. Level isn't the issue here. The Battle Levelling means it doesn't much matter what your level is, a level 15 will have very similar stats and power to a level 49. So your idea of bracketing it 10-20, 20-30 would make no difference.

What does make a difference are Champion Points and Skill Points. But these aren't really level dependent. It's possible that a level 15 could have lots more CPs than a level 49 if they have powerful alts. And whilst higher levels naturally have more skill points, it's still possible to get lots at lower levels if you do the all the skyshards you can reach, including those in Cyrodiil.

Gear is Battle Levelled too. So someone in white level 15 gear would have the same stats, more or less, as someone in purple level 49 gear. The only things that do matter with gear are certain traits and set bonuses.
  • Slonekb05
    Slonekb05
    ✭✭✭
    Sledgemoto wrote: »
    No. If you want to be effective in PvP, then put in the time and level up, get the gear, get the skills, and learn to play your class like everyone else has.

That makes 0 sense, So your saying.. if im Lv 10 and skill wise im a much better player than my enemy, i mean its not even close, but since hes lv 30-50 i cant win? makes ZERO sense

umm yes it does, can you kill a NPC thats 20 levels higher than you? Why should you be able to kill a player that's 20-30 levels higher than you I don't get your logic.

Thats my point... If i cant kill someone much higher lv than me, for whatever reason. Then why am i in the same pvp campaign as them to begin with? The game has a battle lv system that is supposed to even the playing field, but that's not what is happening.
  • AnAngryGinger
    AnAngryGinger
    ✭✭✭
    What the OP suggested is basically Destiny.
    Xuth!
  • Sharakor
    Sharakor
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe you actually suggested this. Sometimes I wish certain people shouldn't be allowed in Cyrodiil, much less make opportunist suggestions that are bound to be accepted only because they fall into the "balance-nerf" category which ironically destroys great PvP.