De-Mystical Mounts - A Crown Store Concept

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yinmaigao wrote: »
    Gidorick wrote: »
    Have you seriously not seen the explanation of everyone being the Vestige @Yinmaigao?

Doesn't mean I like our appreciate it for "my immersion".

Anyways, this is getting a little off topic. Just want to say that immersion is cool, but not at others expense.

How would this be at anyone's expense. You wouldn't even know if someone had this toggled.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Have you seriously not seen the explanation of everyone being the Vestige @Yinmaigao?

Anyways, this is getting a little off topic. Just want to say that immersion is cool, but not at others expense.

How would this be at anyone's expense. You wouldn't even know if someone had this toggled.

Because, people using it would never even know that we had an awesome mount, either, which we earned in-game for some of them (what next, "Disable custom mounts" so even my Golden Senche Tiger looks like a basic brown horse?) or paid crowns for. No comments about "Neat, where did that come from?", or conversation or random interactions in town like people joking about how "Shouldn't his hooves have stopped burning after he went through that stream?", just random Skyrim players milling about.
    I find myself dreading the impending addition of the frost horse. I wanted to make a post imploring ZOS not to aff the horse, to maintain the integrity of the atmosphere, but I knew that plea would be in vain. ZOS stands to make money from these Mystical Mounts, so suggesting they not be released is entirely unrealistic. Instead, I'm suggesting something different.

I will more than likely never buy any of the mystical mounts that ZOS will releases. I have no interest in fire, ice, skelton, lava, wood, lightning, or whatever type of mystical or elemental mounts they come up with. I do, however, have an active interest in not seeing these mounts. To me they are almost as bad add if we had glitter unicorns with trailing rainbows. Not quite as bad, but close.

The point is? As silly as this sounds, they directly negatively impact my playing experience. So, I would like a purchasable Mystical Mounts Ignore toggle so that "cool" mounts like the Nightmare Courser and Frostmare appear as "Normal" mounts to me.

So the fire horse would go from this:
    [.img]http://www.indebtedgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Nightmare-Courser-2500.jpg[/img]
    To this:
    [.img]http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o575/luscombe1516b/Andala_On_Black_Horse_zps791565cc.png[/img]

This should change everyone's mount but my own, and only in my perspective. If I have a fire mount, and I'm riding it around and also have this toggle turned on, my fire mount is the only fire mount I'll see. This could be accomplished with a toggle in the gameplay options menu or a trophy type item I could activate.

I would pay the same amount as one of these "cool" mounts for this option: 2500 Crowns. I would probably pay more. I really do dislike these mounts being so commonplace.

This concept can also possibly extend to costumes so players can ignore costumes others have on and see their real armor. I could see PVPers liking that option.

It's also important to note that no player would be able to tell if another player has this option turned on. It will in no way impact any other player's experience.

How about more pressing issues like getting the User Interface fixed up? We've made the same arguments for basics like seeing how much damage you hit for and what buffs or debuffs were applied by/to your character on yourself or enemies, what abilities hit you in a combat log (even addons can't provide any of these things), and optional guild/nametags & title options to see overhead on same-faction players since beta, as well as typical preference options like a minimap, how much health/magicka/stamina are left on your resource bars, etc. since beta.

It cuts both ways. Options should be for everyone, not just roleplayers. And basic features shouldn't cost extra. Cosmetics, new content, minigames, convenience items, zones, classes, or whatnot? Sure, have at it, and I will buy it all up too! But not those.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on June 2, 2015 9:02PM
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Nerio wrote: »
    Part of the appeal of over-the-top mounts to some is that they're over-the-top. The thought is that if I buy a peacock mount, I probably want everyone to see it. Such a toggle would then make me less inclined to buy one of these mounts.

I don't know. I quite like some ridiculous things (not so much the nightmare horse but I love GW2's infamous unicorn bow for example), but for me the enjoyment comes from me having it and being able to see it. I couldn't care less who else can or can't see it or what they think.

I probably wouldn't buy this option myself, but I can see how it would be very appealing to some people. And it would actually give ZOS more flexibility to add these types of mounts in future without fear of alienating other players.

Oh no! I didn't consider this would pretty much give ZOS license to go hog wild on crazy mounts.... eh, if Ican make them look normal to me, what do I care?
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • Yinmaigao
    Yinmaigao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By taking away time/resources/developers from content that have a greater audience.

As @Attorneyatlawl and I said, there are many more pressing issues that need to be addressed, which impact a larger population of the player base.
    Options
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lore appropriate

That bugs the hell outta me. NONE of this game is really "lore appropriate".

If you are going to pick and choose what breaks your immersion, why not worry about stuff like EVERYONE fighting for their souls from Molag Bal and the wonkiness of Cadwell's super-fun-adventure-time-happy-grind?

Seems to me these are greater immersion breaks than being inconveniencedone by seeing a horse that is "not rare enough".

Besides the mounts, most of the game has adhered to the lore pretty well (surprisingly well if you ask me). It's the monetization of the game to include the crown store with increasingly cheesy cosmetics that is generally where the lore disconnects are. It's because of this that we saw ZOS jump the shark almost immediately with the Nightmare and Senche - because it presented itself as an avenue for a quick cash grab - and this is one category that will likely continue to put out non-lore appropriate items.
    Options
  • Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly not sure why people are complaining I'd prefer not to see a million and one lore breaking mounts but it only effects me.
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've got a point @Attorneyatlawl. Just add this to the pile of features we're never going to get. :wink:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because, people using it would never even know that we had an awesome mount, either, which we earned in-game for some of them (what next, "Disable custom mounts" so even my Golden Senche Tiger looks like a basic brown horse?) or paid crowns for. No comments about "Neat, where did that come from?", or conversation or random interactions in town like people joking about how "Shouldn't his hooves have stopped burning after he went through that stream?", just random Skyrim players milling about.

I don't think we could turn one mount type into another. A Senche is a Sence. A horse is a horse. I'm talking about changing the skin on a mount, not the mount itself.

Those of us who don't want to see the mount will never ask you about them and the suggestion that your enjoyment of the mount is dependant on me seeing it is baffling to me.
    Edited by Gidorick on June 2, 2015 9:15PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By taking away time/resources/developers from content that have a greater audience.

As @Attorneyatlawl and I said, there are many more pressing issues that need to be addressed, which impact a larger population of the player base.

I am so incredibly exhausted by this excuse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be, too, were there not more pressing issues to be exhausted by. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's getting old ...

There will always be more pressing issues in an mmo

With more content comes new features and Gidorick is just showing another feature that could be considered.
    I swear some people think that the person recommending the idea want that idea to become the main focus and nothing else........
    Options
  • Yinmaigao
    Yinmaigao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am exhausted by people making epic threads about nothing.

This suggestion is a niche request that is born out of nonsense.

I don't like undead, can I petition that they all replace the models with khajiit since I hate them?
    Options
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like undead, can I petition that they all replace the models with khajiit since I hate them?

False equivalency.
    Options
  • Yinmaigao
    Yinmaigao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BBSooner wrote: »

False equivalency.

How so? If I just replace the skin with a toggle on my client, that is EXACTLY what you guys want.

Just putting it in perspective...
    Options
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

False equivalency.

How so? If I just replace the skin with a toggle on my client, that is EXACTLY what you guys want.

Undead are consistent with the previous titles. Widespread extravagent mounts ridden by a large segment of the population is not. Is that a difficult concept?
    Edited by BBSooner on June 2, 2015 9:29PM
    Options
  • Yinmaigao
    Yinmaigao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Previous titles are all single player.

This one is not.

Is THAT a difficult concept?

You are talking in circles for something that has nothing to do with the rest of the thread.

I guess if we want this to be like previous titles, everyone should stand around town as NPC's...
    Options
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Previous titles are all single player.

This one is not.

Red Herring.
    Options
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood." - Emerson

TLDR - ZeniMax should just tell the lore-huggers to *** off.
    signing off
    Options
  • Smiteye
    Smiteye
    ✭✭✭

Heromofo wrote: »

It's getting old ...

With more content comes new features and Gidorick is just showing another feature that could be considered.
    I swear some people think that the person recommending the idea want that idea to become the main focus and nothing else........

Except its true. This game really does have a ton of more important things that are MUCH MORE desirable and have been on the back burner MUCH LONGER. Nothing wrong with suggesting this stuff but jeez, acting like it is important...
    Options
  • Wayoverpowered
    Wayoverpowered
    Soul Shriven

False equivalency.

Exactly.
    Options
  • Ajaxduo
    Ajaxduo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the toggle option is a decent idea as a compromise. The Nightmare Courser is out now, they won't stop adding new themes mounts and while I understand seeing a bunch of these riding past you could be seen as immersion breaking it is pretty futile kicking and screaming about it. Anyone thought of contacting a addon creator on ESOUI.com or posting a request in the relevant forum? :p
    - - -
    GM of Verum Aeternus, PC EU
    - - -
    Options
  • Nerio
    Nerio
    ✭✭✭
    Smiteye wrote: »

Heromofo wrote: »

It's getting old ...

Except its true. This game really does have a ton of more important things that are MUCH MORE desirable and have been on the back burner MUCH LONGER. Nothing wrong with suggesting this stuff but jeez, acting like it is important...

This is absolutely true, but there is still plenty of room for us to talk about new ideas. Ideas can be dismissed because the idea itself has flaws, but shouldn't be dismissed at this level because there are existing concerns that need to be addressed. Doing so would stifle the generation of new ideas.

Rather than steering threads away from the intended discussion, let ZoS worry about the prioritization of fixes and new features. Forums threads are lightyears away from final implementation, so they're a safe place for these kind of discussions.
    Options
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Acrolas wrote: »
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood." - Emerson

TLDR - ZeniMax should just tell the lore-huggers to *** off.

A wonderful quote. Very much the profound and thought-provoking statement.

You do realise that it has nothing to do with the current conversation though, right?

The defense of great minds and personalities with regards to their ability and freedom to state opinions and make changes that stand against the grain of society and that can fundamentally alter its nature... has nothing whatsoever to do with maintaining a coherent constructed world in which you are attempting to present a narrative.

For the record, I think @Gidorick's idea is a fantastic one. Those who love these horses can buy and show them off to their hearts' content. They get on my nerves every time I see them, so the ability to not see them, while still allowing others to have them, will make me a very happy monkey indeed.
    Edited by Iluvrien on June 3, 2015 12:00AM
    Options
  • ZedalisDesign
    I try to respect other players' opinions/wishes, I really do. But I can't help but sit here and think that a lot of these people should be playing a different game...maybe Skyrim?

Are we seriously talking about immersion here? In an MMO? All MMOs are inherently flawed in so many ways when it comes to this. It was part of the reason I was hesitant to play ESO, a series that had traditionally been so single-player.

We are talking about an MMO, ESO being the example that...

-Has creatures sitting in caves that are strong enough to wipe out an entire city but choose to sit there until a raid of people decide they want to kill it.
    -Has you defeating Molag-Bal and stopping the end of the Plane-Meld/world, but if you stand still too long, you may get killed by a mudcrab.
    -Has you believe that 'YOU' are the Vestige, when in reality you are just #385643 of #2392745
    -Can launch you across the map if you hit the terrain or a rock at the right angle while riding a horse
    -Many others...

I absolutely LOVE the game, but if we really try to cater to every player's version of immersion, the game will inevitably fail because more development time will be spent on toggles that add a negligible % to the game's value, rather than to new content, features, and/or fixes.
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I KNOW there are other issues with ESO. I don't care to discuss those issues because there are a multitude of threads on those issues. It's really frustrating arguing with the same shortsightedness and responding to the exact same handful of objections.

Yes I know we need actual content
    Yes I know the are issues to be fixed
    Yes I know there are other missing features
    Yes I know there's lag

Do I need to start all my posts with those admissions so I won't have to deal with the tantrums Every. Single. Time?

I really wish you guys could judge a concept for the concept itself and not in the context of what else we don't have or that ZOS should devote resources to this or that.
    Edited by Gidorick on June 3, 2015 5:23AM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • ZedalisDesign
    I wasn't arguing the validity of the concept. Sure, it's neat, and I like to have as much personalization in a game as humanely possible. That's part of what makes the mod system in this game so great. But it's sort of like talking about owning a Ferrari when you don't have a job yet (not you personally). I'm not saying you are doing this, but I have seen others do it...essentially demanding that something be done to cater to their needs/wants, when in reality it isn't very feasible. Or if it is, it's so far down on the list of things to accomplish, I'm not sure if it's even worth mentioning.

Props for anybody who tries to get concepts & ideas to the guys over at ZOS though. Fresh concepts & ideas to the game only benefit everybody! (when they are implemented)
    Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Yinmaigao if you honestly don't like zombies and wish them to be khajiit, by all means make a thread suggesting a way for that to be accomplished.

But that is not an apt comparison to what I'm suggesting. There is NO narrative reason for flaming horses and ice horses. If there were a quest that rewarded the fire horse, I wouldn't be suggesting this.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol! Sorry @ZedalisDesign. That wasn't aimed at you at all. Sorry if it seemed like it was. :smiley:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Options
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iluvrien wrote: »
    A wonderful quote. Very much the profound and thought-provoking statement.

You do realise that it has nothing to do with the current conversation though, right?

Of course it does. ZeniMax doesn't have to justify their version of their lore to anybody, much less give them a paid option to toggle it on and off. Nobody's a special snowflake when it comes to what should or should not exist in the game.

It's commensalism. The owner of the mount is happy, and everybody else neither benefits nor is harmed. Saying that a custom mount intentionally added to the game is harmful is more about elitism than actual harm.
    signing off
    Options
  • Yinmaigao
    Yinmaigao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Yinmaigao if you honestly don't like zombies and wish them to be khajiit, by all means make a thread suggesting a way for that to be accomplished.

But that is not an apt comparison to what I'm suggesting. There is NO narrative reason for flaming horses and ice horses. If there were a quest that rewarded the fire horse, I wouldn't be suggesting this.

There is no narrative as to why players can have a pet fox either.

I am not trying to be confrontational, nor am I saying you shouldn't have the right to voice your opinions.

I am simply stating that I disagree with them, especially when people pick and choose what immersion breaking aspect they focus on.

Hopefully I have not been rude, it is not my intention.
    Options