The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Possible Solution 4 Crashes

Cously
Cously
✭✭✭✭✭
I play ESO since beta and I was impressed of how good looking it was and how it played smooth in my hardware even it being outdated.

ESO Day 1
Athlon II X2 250 3.0 GHZ
Nvidia GT 440 1GB GDDR5 128-Bit
Kingston 2x2GB RAM
Corsair Power Supply 430W
Windows XP Professional SP3 32-Bit
PVE: High ~60 FPS - No Crashes
PVP: High ~30 FPS - No Crashes
Background Software: Internet Explorer; Teamspeak.
ESO Lighting Patch (U3 I think)
Same specs, game unplayable.
Replaced Windows XP with Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit
Game returned to no crashes but could only play in Medium as High resolution textures were disabled for 32-Bit OS.
ESO (U6)
Same specs, game playable on Minimum settings, crashes all time in PVP and PVE. PVE could play around 30 minutes before crash, almost instant crashes when changing zones, instant crashes in Wayrest. PVP unplayable, crashes every 5 minutes. Waited for TU to see if it fixed it.
ESO TU (2.0)
Nothing improved, all cities crash now with the influx of new players, completely avoided Cyrodiil, worst performance I have ever seem in a game. Waited for patches, no fix to my problem.
Replaced GT 440 with a GTX 650 2GB GDDR5 128-Bit and nothing changed. Still played on minimum with *** crashes all the time.
Replaced Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit. Now I also run Steam, Teamspeak and Internet Explorer, 50 addons in ESO.
All crashes gone. High resolution textures enabled again. Playing on Ultra PVP and PVE. Temperatures are great despite I live in a hot country. Power consumption never been so low.

If you find yourself in the situation of crashes and content like PVP unplayable I suggest the following:

1 - Get Windows 7 or other 64-Bit OS. Despite they say run on 32-Bit, all threads I see about crashes, most of people are 32-Bit. I read hundreds of those to try solve my problem.
2- Get a video card with over 2GB memory. Despite they say you can run with less it is also not reliable.
3- Update drivers, make a clean install of ESO, disable all addons as last resort.

I did wait Zenimax fix it for us 32-Bit users but it didn't come. So I decided to try the 64-Bit and solved all my problems. It was a headache to reinstall the PC softwares and set stuff again but was worth it if you love the game. I know many might feel like I did, hesitant to change systems, even more so when all your games runs good but ESO. Yet was the only alternative that worked for me.

Granted people should move forward and keep their systems updated but ZOS did advert it would work with 32-Bit system and my experience and others' I've seem doesn't match what the company said. Even more so when my system ran it without problems and then a single patch crippled it for me.
I have no idea about the technical details for why it work in a system and don't work in other but what I did was make sure I had 64-Bit and 2GB of video ram. So I'd feel better knowing I did what I could, despite I didn't have to since my PC met the minimum specs.

Processor don't seem to make a difference in their game, the strain goes all to video card. I spent less than $200 in the new Windows and video card. The video card itself was rather cheap.

If you play ESO without crashes but have small freezes try this tweak:

Find your UserSettings.txt file at C:\Users\YOUR USER\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\Live then open it, find and change the following lines:

SET RequestedNumJobThreads "-1"
SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads "-1"

to

SET RequestedNumJobThreads "0"
SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads "0"

I also have no idea what it does but it is something I found in this forum since beta and stopped the annoying freezes in town for me. I'd refer to the thread but I don't remember it.

This is a genuine Elder Scrolls game. Full of bugs and we have to use MODS to make our interface bearable and toy with our .ini tweaks. Bethesda, Zenimax...you never learn, but I'm grateful for the wonderful ES games anyways.

Thanks my beloved guildies that didn't let me quit despite the months of performance suffering. If you thinking of ragequit because of it just think of your friends and guildies and try what I said. I hope everyone stops crash and we can have fun together once again.
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I could give both an insightful and an awesome, but I will settle for insightful.
    I have not been crashing, but I have been experiencing stuttering so I will try some of these suggestions. Some I cannot, such as upgrading my VRAM, for I play on a laptop, but can tweak with the .ini file.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
    Options
  • LaughingJack
    LaughingJack
    ✭✭
    2- Get a video card with over 2GB memory. Despite they say you can run with less it is also not reliable.

i cannot agree with that ^. i am still running a HD4870 with only 512MB ram and have had the game actually Crash about twice in the year+ ive been playing. not a video card issue.

slow loading of objects after spawn/porting has not changed(dont bother me really), but the stuttering/freezing was fixed by going from 2GB to 8GB ram.

have only used i7 running on 64bit win7, so i cannot comment on that part of it, but id suggest that using 64 over 32bit is probably where most, if not all issues, dissappear for the majority of people.

the biggest fix for instability, as far as i know - running from the .EXE and Not using the launcher. i am still amazed when peeps are not doing this. the Launcher is only good for updates!

cheers.
    .LJ

Seeker of Shiny Objects
    Vapour Vehiculo De Dolor
    I7-920(2.6GHz), Win7-64, 8GB, HD4870-512, 40-90fps.
    Options
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and have a Geforce 970 GTX video card and still have game crashes. Usually when trying to "Windows Tab" out to the desktop. When I come back to the game it crashes at times. There are also Addons I use that casue it to crash as well. If ZOS would add the things people use common Addons for we would have a much stabler game to play. I've even removed all Addons and had issues with the game crashing, not very much but they still happen.

IMO their game code isn't as clean as it could be.
    NA Server - Kildair
    Options
  • LaughingJack
    LaughingJack
    ✭✭
    you seem to be under the impression that Zos adding these into the game directly will magically fix things - i think not. as long as thier API works correctly and users of the API use it correctly then it should all work fine for the vast majority of users (as is apparently the case). as you have mentioned; you removed your addons and still had stability issues.

yes, i agree, "their game code isn't as clean as i could be".

i also think that regardless of how Other Software runs, "some poeples hardware is not nearly as stable as they like to think it is".
    Seeker of Shiny Objects
    Vapour Vehiculo De Dolor
    I7-920(2.6GHz), Win7-64, 8GB, HD4870-512, 40-90fps.
    Options
  • Cously
    Cously
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robbmrp wrote: »
    I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and have a Geforce 970 GTX video card and still have game crashes. Usually when trying to "Windows Tab" out to the desktop. When I come back to the game it crashes at times. There are also Addons I use that casue it to crash as well. If ZOS would add the things people use common Addons for we would have a much stabler game to play. I've even removed all Addons and had issues with the game crashing, not very much but they still happen.

IMO their game code isn't as clean as it could be.

I'm sorry to hear that. Your hardware should run it flawless. I can't think of other changes I did other than replace the OS and the video card. I did download the game from scratch after I installed the new OS.
    Options