The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Nirnhoned Research

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cgipervert wrote: »
    One more question. Do you have to know the Nirnhoned trait before nodes in upper Craglorn will drop nircrux?

No, you can farm before knowing the trait. The only requirement is getting there.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One more question. Do you have to know the Nirnhoned trait before nodes in upper Craglorn will drop nircrux?

No
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • ashlee17
    ashlee17
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I can make the 20k more reliably and in less time then it takes to farm nirncrux.
    Administrator of More Than Fair Guild- North American Server- Come and Join us for a fun and friendly experience - 480+ members and great trader location- all factions welcome - mail me @ashlee17 in game for an invite.
    Join the crusade for better guild management tools!
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/145742/help-we-need-more-guild-management-tools/p1
    Please comment and support this cause!
  • Valymer
    Valymer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ashlee17 wrote: »
    Honestly, I can make the 20k more reliably and in less time then it takes to farm nirncrux.

And get experience to boot (at least in many methods)
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah but this is why the price of nirncrux is increasing, because people can't be bothered to spend time looking for it. Give it a few weeks with no-one farming for it and nirnhoned items will have gone up in price so much that you'll have to find a lot more than 20k. You think crafters should both make the item and be the only ones farming for nirncrux to supply their customers? Good luck complaining about the prices in a few weeks :)
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • Valymer
    Valymer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Epona222 wrote: »

Yeah but this is why the price of nirncrux is increasing, because people can't be bothered to spend time looking for it. Give it a few weeks with no-one farming for it and nirnhoned items will have gone up in price so much that you'll have to find a lot more than 20k. You think crafters should both make the item and be the only ones farming for nirncrux to supply their customers? Good luck complaining about the prices in a few weeks :)

Not sure if you have been to Upper Craglorn lately, but it is farmed 24/7. People are literally tripping over each other to steal node spawns, even swooping in to ninja them from other farmers trying to clear mobs to reach them.

I don't think we have to worry about a lack of nirncrux anytime soon.
  • deadlock007
    deadlock007
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    You can only farm Nirncrux in Upper Craglorn. Wood and Ore nodes are the main sources. Some say the Alchemy/Enchanting nodes also drop them, but I have not seen a consensus on that. I certainly have not found any from Alchemy/Enchanting Nodes and I have farmed a ton of those. Welwa's also drop them, so perhaps other critters up there do.

In other words, if you can't get to UC, then you have to buy them.

Now, you might be able to find Nirncruxs in the Guild Stores for about 17K (I have never seen them, but Master Merchant tells me that is the average price so they must go fast at that price) and then ask someone who knows the trait to make something with it.

I had no idea they could drop from Welwas. Good to know, thank you. Explains how I ended up with one once when I wasn't farming lol.
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can confirm nirncrux stones to make the stuff also drop from alchemy nodes. Since I found one with a whitecap mushroom the other day.
    Not sure about enchanting, but I reckon if it drops with ore, wood, cloth and alchemy plants... who knows, they might even wash up with collecting pure water...

Yep, I've looted a few from alchemy nodes, and I'm almost 100% positive I've gotten one from water to (does that fall under alchemy node?).
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guildies have found nirncrux from bosses, and nirnhooned items from random mobs in upper craglorn - however veeery rare. Not worth grinding mobs to get nirn items at all.

I have found nirncrux all over craglorn, not just upper craglorn after I finished the main quests and got my first nirnhooned item.

I tend to find 3-4 nirncrux through surveys a month - where I get 3-4 nirncrux a week, if I just randomly farm materials in craglorn.

I also farm materials in the last gold areas, but I tend to find more nodes in Craglorn. I don't go for farming nirncrux, it is too rediculous, I just don't mind if I get any :P
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Valymer wrote: »

Not sure if you have been to Upper Craglorn lately, but it is farmed 24/7. People are literally tripping over each other to steal node spawns, even swooping in to ninja them from other farmers trying to clear mobs to reach them.

I've never actually noticed but then I'm only there for the alchemical writs which I would expect to be farmed out nearby anyway. :)
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Valymer
    Valymer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never actually noticed but then I'm only there for the alchemical writs which I would expect to be farmed out nearby anyway. :)

Most if not all of the alchemy survey maps are in Lower Craglorn which does not drop nirncrux as far as I know, so you wouldn't see it
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Locke_ESO wrote: »
    What is the cheapest way to research Nirnhoned items? They sell on average for 30,000 gold (too much for my purse). Can you farm mobs for them, and if so where? I don't have access to upper Craglorn yet.

Seeing as no-one clarified it for you unless they have changed something then only Ore, Wood and Cloth nodes drop Nirncrux. Enchanting and Alchemy nodes do not. I'd also strongly recommend installing the Harvest Map Add on if you want to farm nirncrux.

Just to clarify.. You are WRONG.

I have picked up Nirncrux from Water Hyacinths, Water nodes, Ta nodes, and even got one out of a barrel.
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No.. but the Champ trait for extra harvests seemed to increase my sucess rate. Maybe because I had a 10% chance of an extra item anyway ? </shrug>
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭

Most if not all of the alchemy survey maps are in Lower Craglorn which does not drop nirncrux as far as I know, so you wouldn't see it

LOL I was referring to the "Upper Craglorn being farmed 24/7" comment not about Nirncrux. I have exactly one of those, which I picked up while looking for the Wood Writ Survey location :). What I essentially meant was that I expect that the areas around Writ Surveys to be farmed out.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darlgon wrote: »
    I have picked up Nirncrux from Water Hyacinths, Water nodes, Ta nodes, and even got one out of a barrel.
    Hey, that was mine! I put it in that barrel for safekeeping and came back to find it gone! You jerk! :p
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the cheapest way to research Nirnhoned items? They sell on average for 30,000 gold (too much for my purse). Can you farm mobs for them, and if so where? I don't have access to upper Craglorn yet.

Seeing as no-one clarified it for you unless they have changed something then only Ore, Wood and Cloth nodes drop Nirncrux. Enchanting and Alchemy nodes do not. I'd also strongly recommend installing the Harvest Map Add on if you want to farm nirncrux.

There is a difference between theory and practise here. Nirncrux may drop rarely from other sources. But maybe 99% of them drop from ore, wood and cloth nodes in upper Craglorn.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Maybe this is true, but I tend to be skeptical. How do we know you are not jerking our chains in an effort to get Blessed Thistle and Wormwood nodes harvested, improving the odds for Bugloss, etc. I have farmed a lot and gotten my share of nirncrux, but never any from Welwas or alchemy nodes or runes, or other random containers. I did get one from a heavy bag. Call me doubting Thomas, but post a pic of nirncrux from any of these other sources you claim. Or post some official source that states nirncrux has a chance to drop from these sources, however minuscule. If it's not in game code, it isn't gonna happen.
    Edited by Ourorboros on May 26, 2015 3:20AM
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • PatchMax
    PatchMax
    ✭✭
    I'm confused, too. Zenimax themselves have stated:

"Nirncrux is not found from alchemy and enchanting nodes in Craglorn, as those tradeskills do not use it."

But I do see people saying they found nirncrux when harvesting alchemy nodes etc. So maybe it's a bug?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the amount of Alchemy and Enchanting Nodes that are left for me to farm, they can't be dropping Nirns. Those are the only nodes I see in the UC.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of our guild members claimed he got Nirncrux from an Alchemy node but it turned out to be an add-on issue.
    When you have the passive that gives a 10% chance of looting an extra item from nodes, some loot add-on do not show this correctly and instead report the extra harvest from the NEXT node.

So it appears you looted a Nirncrux from an Alchemy node when you really looted it from the ore node just before.

This was proven when they kept there inventory open the next time they went farming and saw they got the Nirncrux from an ore not but the addon did not show it until they finished harvesting the next node (which this time was a enchanting node)

So I believe those who are reporting getting Nirncrux from Alchemy and Enchanting Nodes are using loot add-ons which are having display issues.

But I am looting everything now, just encase its true anyway!
    Edited by Natjur on May 26, 2015 8:55PM
  • Valymer
    Valymer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL I was referring to the "Upper Craglorn being farmed 24/7" comment not about Nirncrux. I have exactly one of those, which I picked up while looking for the Wood Writ Survey location :). What I essentially meant was that I expect that the areas around Writ Surveys to be farmed out.

I know what you were referring to, my response was poorly worded.

You said that you are only in Craglorn for the alchemy writs. By this I assume you mean the alchemy survey maps. The alchemy survey maps are in Lower Craglorn. Nirncrux does not drop in Lower Craglorn.

Ergo, you would not see the heavy farming because people aren't farming Lower Craglorn.
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭

You said that you are only in Craglorn for the alchemy writs. By this I assume you mean the alchemy survey maps. The alchemy survey maps are in Lower Craglorn. Nirncrux does not drop in Lower Craglorn.

Ergo, you would not see the heavy farming because people aren't farming Lower Craglorn.

I wasn't arguing.

I have noted across all 8 characters that areas in the vicinity of, and on the way to, writ survey locations are always lacking in nodes because of the heavier traffic. Your logic regarding the location of the Alchemy writs means nothing in light of the heavier traffic. Yes, I would not have noticed heavy farming because they are in lower craglorn, but someone who is only there for writs in upper craglorn is likely to be slightly more ignorant of it anyway, simply due to the amount of traffic one would expect to be getting the survey materials, that would grab convenient stuff along the way. For trade reasons I farm multiple regions for raw materials and I will easily get four times the amount of nodes in lightly trafficked areas than I would ever get near or on the way to Survey Locations.

You can take that as some sort of argument that had the survey been in Upper Craglorn I might have noticed, if you want, but having gotten an Enchantment Survey, Wood Survey and Metal survey up there I will still say that travelling to them and back I expect to see few, if any, nodes simply due to greater numbers of people going to them. There's no point in further discussion of this since both points are actually valid.

• Valymer
    Valymer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I wasn't arguing.

I have noted across all 8 characters that areas in the vicinity of, and on the way to, writ survey locations are always lacking in nodes because of the heavier traffic. Your logic regarding the location of the Alchemy writs means nothing in light of the heavier traffic. Yes, I would not have noticed heavy farming because they are in lower craglorn, but someone who is only there for writs in upper craglorn is likely to be slightly more ignorant of it anyway, simply due to the amount of traffic one would expect to be getting the survey materials, that would grab convenient stuff along the way. For trade reasons I farm multiple regions for raw materials and I will easily get four times the amount of nodes in lightly trafficked areas than I would ever get near or on the way to Survey Locations.

You can take that as some sort of argument that had the survey been in Upper Craglorn I might have noticed, if you want, but having gotten an Enchantment Survey, Wood Survey and Metal survey up there I will still say that travelling to them and back I expect to see few, if any, nodes simply due to greater numbers of people going to them. There's no point in further discussion of this since both points are actually valid.

k
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    In addition to what @Nestor says, the actual Nirnhoned items don't drop, period. You get one for completing a questline, but you'll never have one drop from mobs. The only way to get any for research (beyond your initial one that you get from that questline) is to get them from other players who have already researched them and can craft them for you. As @Nestor says, though, if you can find Nirncrux (again, only in Upper Craglorn - but you can get there any time from VR1 on) you may be able to get people to make you stuff with the Nirncrux. Friendly guildies perhaps?

I heard there's a small chance that "Rewards for the Worthy" items will have Nirncrux as well. Could be bad info tho...
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bouvin wrote: »
    In addition to what @Nestor says, the actual Nirnhoned items don't drop, period. You get one for completing a questline, but you'll never have one drop from mobs. The only way to get any for research (beyond your initial one that you get from that questline) is to get them from other players who have already researched them and can craft them for you. As @Nestor says, though, if you can find Nirncrux (again, only in Upper Craglorn - but you can get there any time from VR1 on) you may be able to get people to make you stuff with the Nirncrux. Friendly guildies perhaps?

I heard there's a small chance that "Rewards for the Worthy" items will have Nirncrux as well. Could be bad info tho...

Been pvping for months, both before and after Nirncrux was introduced. I avg 2-300 of those "rewards" per week. Just Alliance pieces and green junk, not a sniff of Nirnhoned.

Edited to add: Not one member of my two pvp guilds has ever mentioned getting one either.
    Edited by Xendyn on May 28, 2015 3:30PM
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bouvin wrote: »

Yeah.. i heard that t00.. and after opening 2000 rewards per week for the last three months, with none output, I call that a lie.
  • Haxnschwammer
    Haxnschwammer
    ✭✭✭✭
    I heard that too, but it's not from the normal reward mails, it came from one of the special rewards when you are in the top 2% of ranks at the end of campaign.

Still don't know if it is really true...
    Once I was a healer. Then I took a Wrobel to the knee.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • kylerjalen
    kylerjalen
    ✭✭✭

Nope. Anyone can get it as long as they can get into upper C