The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Champion System Passives - redundancy

Faugaun
Faugaun
✭✭✭✭✭
There are several redundant passives in the champion system I will give one example:

Light Armor Focus - Increases your armor value by x% (where x is between 0 and 12.8) when wearing 5 or more pieces of light armor.
Medium Armor Focus - Increases your armor value by x% (where x is between 0 and 12.8) when wearing 5 or more pieces of medium armor.
Heavy Armor Focus - Increases your armor value by x% (where x is between 0 and 12.8) when wearing 5 or more pieces of Heavy armor.

Currently this take up the space of 3 stars ...but a player will never gain anything by having more than one of these stars at a time (you might argue flexibility...but I can go do a paid respec...so not really even flexibility).

I'm not sure if this was decided because of difficulty of coming up with ideas for alternate passives? Or some other reason?

The effect this choice has is to diminish the value of the system by reducing the total number of points my character(s) can spend while still gaining a benefit...

If you examine the redundancy present across the system then the goal of 3600 CP is not really the goal.

This concerns me because well...I like the idea of a full and robust system.

I think these three stars should be consolidated into a single star:
Armor Focus - Increases Armor by x%
Or alternately
Armor Focus - Increases Armor by x% when wearing 5 or more of the same type (light, medium, heavy).

Then the two freed up stars could be changed to something new:

Pack Rat - Increases the inventory space on your character by 1 for each point in this star.

Fast Traveler - decreases the cost of teleporting to a WS by x% (this would effect both the base level and the increased cost teleport that occurs when you attempt to do this multiple times in a row).

Shadow Mastery - Decreases your stealth radius by x%

Speed Demon - Increases all movement speed by X%

Expert Thief - x% chance of upgrading the quality of stolen items by 1 level. (So x% that a white would be green or a green would be blue...basically a modifier for loot quality).

Explorer - increases exploration exp by x% (this is a great star to increase the speed that alts get to vr1, if that's desired, and has minimal impact on CP generation).

Acrobat - decreases fall damage by x%

Combat Affinity - Increases your out of combat health/stamina/magicka regen by x% (so your back in the fray quicker).

War veteran - increases AP gain by x%

Marathoner - Increases the duration of consumables by x% increasing your body's efficiency at using food and drinks.

Sous Chef - upon crafting a consumable you have a x% chance to automatically upgrade it to the next quality level.

Master Hunter - Decreases the radius that creatures (I'm thinking game animals, mammoths, guar, dwemer, seneche etc... not people, giants, players, bandits etc...).

Lucky - Increases gold looted from enemies by x% (maybe impacts # of items and/or item quality)

Master Vampire - Increases the duration of vampire stages by x% at 30 CP it also unlocks the ability to vomit instantly increasing your hunger level by 1 (example: 3 -> 4)

Master of Disguise - your criminal heat dissipates x% quicker

What I am trying to do is come up with effects that do not add to your character strength but rather open up different play styles or add other beneficial effects to create a more horizontal feel to the skills that fill in these gaps...

What do you think about the current redundant skills?

If you could suggest a passive what would it be?