Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Consider Increasing Lightning Splash Damage And Radius?

Vis
Vis
✭✭✭✭✭
As Eric himself admitted, it will not increase our burst and people will just side step it in pvp. The confusing thing is that you think increasing its duration will somehow increase sorc pve dps. How so?

May I humbly suggest significantly increasing its damage and slightly increasing its radius so that it is actually worth using (considering the cost nerf especially)?

How many other class aoe would you shrug standing in? Only lightning splash makes me laugh when casted. Why can't it become something serious?
Edited by Vis on February 15, 2015 12:19AM
v14 Sorc Vae Exillis
v14 DK Costs
v14 NB 'Vis
v14 Temp Fiat Lux

• Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree. They should definately increase the damage and also give it a base radius of 6 meter.

I believe, ZOS does not want Lightning splash to be viable in pvp, that's why they are not going to make it viable there. This is not that bad in my opinion. No matter if it's a 4 meter, 6 meter or 8 meter radius is. PvP players are going to leave it either way. (It's not that the damage could become dangerous or something :D but also I would kick an insect off my shoes)

Edited by Dracane on February 15, 2015 12:27AM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

My debut album on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@Gleandra/videos
    Options
  • Aimelin
    Aimelin
    ✭✭✭
    No, they either need to make it alteast a 12m radius, or 6m and add a soft cc on it on cast, its a *** pool of lightning, it should shock you, not tickle you, if not remove it all together and give us a real lightning spell

Just a bolt of lightning, insta cast, moderate dmg, morph to atleast chain to 3 other targets
    Options
  • Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're designing it as a single-target, ground-targetted PvE spell, which is a bit of an odd duck.

The DPS will be worthwhile if it's significantly more Damage Per Cast than another Force Pulse. It will have to be significant, as it's not only competing for GCD's and Magicka, but also a spot on the bar. As reliant as sorcs are on toggles, an ability has to be moderately fantastic to knock something else off.

I like the idea of taking a little-used spell and turning it into a staple, and it's odd nature as a tiny radius ground targetted, long duration (useless in PvP) probably make it easier to balance, without upsetting our DK/ Templar overlords in Cyrodiil. But.. it'll have to have a big damage increase to be worth it.
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

Options
  • Aimelin
    Aimelin
    ✭✭✭
    Snit wrote: »
    They're designing it as a single-target, ground-targetted PvE spell, which is a bit of an odd duck.

The DPS will be worthwhile if it's significantly more Damage Per Cast than another Force Pulse. It will have to be significant, as it's not only competing for GCD's and Magicka, but also a spot on the bar. As reliant as sorcs are on toggles, an ability has to be moderately fantastic to knock something else off.

I like the idea of taking a little-used spell and turning it into a staple, and it's odd nature as a tiny radius ground targetted, long duration (useless in PvP) probably make it easier to balance, without upsetting our DK/ Templar overlords in Cyrodiil. But.. it'll have to have a big damage increase to be worth it.

nothing they do to splash is going to make any sorc slot it, nothing ..
    Options
  • Gorthax
    Gorthax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I slot it. Have since early access. Now with the cost of dodge and block in 1
    6 my shattering prison liquid lightning combo will be devastating ;)
    Options
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As I suggested in the 1.6.2 patch notes thread and others they should change this spell to Fireball from TES Destruction school. It'd be basically the same thing but with fire damage, animation would be different. Maybe increase radius and damage a little and boom. For those who don't know what that is and/or never played Skyrim:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8I5ifBB_XXc
    Options
  • Reilech
    Reilech
    ✭✭✭
    Damge is not so bad, IF someone is using synergy.
    Options
  • Lussura
    Lussura
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree. They should definitely increase the damage and also give it a base radius of 8 meter.
    Options
  • Digiman
    Digiman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I thought Eric Wrobel was joking, but that's probably my Autism. Really don't see why a increase in radius and damage will effect DPS of the class.

Unless people in it are close to death when the effect ends they will just shrug it off.

I don't see them even doing that with the balancing they are doing to AoE damage.

Quite frankly I feel they have put themselves into a corner where their utter neglience has put them into this grasping straws position. It's not hard to realize but 1/4 armor mitigation compared to heavy does nothing, and light armor neither provides proper damage or appealing reasons to wear it outside of using it cast more healing spells.

Sickening I am seeing a class broken for a year again in an MMO, first warlocks, then sith sorcerers, bam ESO sorcerers. What a waste of resources and money.
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Digiman wrote: »
    Honestly I thought Eric Wrobel was joking, but that's probably my Autism. Really don't see why a increase in radius and damage will effect DPS of the class.

They are not even increasing the radius and damage, only the duration. many of us would be abit more optimistic, if they would increase the radius and damage.

Lightning splash looks so cool. But it is too underwhelming at the moment.
    I hope, the lightning splash change and the passive change are not going to be the only changes to Sorcerer in 1.6. Sadly, Eric did not even mention, that there could be other changes.
    Edited by Dracane on February 15, 2015 4:18PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

Options
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too found it odd that Eric kept mentioning this as the salvation of the Sorcerer class. It just seems... odd.

I would LOVE to see this changed into a Fireball though.
    Templars are 'just slower... by design'
    Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
    VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
    Options
  • ItsRejectz
    ItsRejectz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too found it odd that Eric kept mentioning this as the salvation of the Sorcerer class. It just seems... odd.

I would LOVE to see this changed into a Fireball though.

Damn right a fireball would be cool.. Personally I would love for the sorcerer class to have a few skills that are some of the other elements (ice/fire) and not limited them to just lightning. Especially ice though, as I don't think it's present enough in game currently
    Xbox EU - GT: o69 Woody 69o

VR16 Sorc: Vlad V Impaler
    VR16 Sorc: Yes it's Woody
    VR16 NB: Prince of Wallachia
    VR16 Templar: Sir Lancelot the Brave
    VR16 DK: I'm Better Than You

Options
  • Voltos
    Voltos
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the damage needs to be increased, but that still leaves the problem of mobile enemies leaving the affected location.

Instead of increasing the radius, why not just make Lightning Splash targeted to a specific player/enemy. You would basically turn your target into a lightning rod, and the aoe damage would affect them and anyone within the radius. This would solve the mechanics issue in PVE, and PVP players would be able to either roll-doge or breakout of the effect. Rename it -- Lightning Storm -- Win-Win imo.
    Edited by Voltos on February 15, 2015 10:37PM
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voltos wrote: »
    Yes, the damage needs to be increased, but that still leaves the problem of mobile enemies leaving the affected location.

Instead of increasing the radius, why not just make Lightning Splash targeted to a specific player/enemy. You would basically turn your target into a lightning rod, and the aoe damage would affect them and anyone within the radius. This would solve the mechanics issue in PVE, and PVP players would be able to either roll-doge or breakout of the effect. Rename it -- Lightning Storm -- Win-Win imo.

I agree. Would be so cool.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

Options
  • ItsRejectz
    ItsRejectz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voltos wrote: »

Never thought of that, I really like the sound of it being cast on a player
    Xbox EU - GT: o69 Woody 69o

VR16 Sorc: Vlad V Impaler
    VR16 Sorc: Yes it's Woody
    VR16 NB: Prince of Wallachia
    VR16 Templar: Sir Lancelot the Brave
    VR16 DK: I'm Better Than You

Options
  • Exstazik
    Exstazik
    ✭✭✭✭
    Suggestion:
    1 morph-increased radius+initial hit deals ++ additional damage.
    2 morph-if the target run out from AoE,it will be debuffed for [x] sec by dot+snare
    Options
  • Aimelin
    Aimelin
    ✭✭✭
    Exstazik wrote: »
    Suggestion:
    1 morph-increased radius+initial hit deals ++ additional damage.
    2 morph-if the target run out from AoE,it will be debuffed for [x] sec by dot+snare

or, just remove the skill ... have you been on PTS? i made a glass cannon template .... 50 points magicka, full LA, all jewelry + magicka, food buff, + surge morph with incr spell dmg ..... lightning splash ...... 730 (give or take) dmg per 0.5s ........ in a 4m radius .... the current initial hit morph doesnt even get it above 2k .... the synergy dmg is only around 4.3k ? by the time you press "use synergy" everyones out of the aoe allready, even with an increase in radius its not gonna do anything
    Options
  • Digiman
    Digiman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't help that they are also addressing AoE damage as well. Honestly really thinking that Eric was just joking on Live!

Really I think they should focus on making light armor deal more damage and healing for each piece worn, increase the spell penetration so it will ignore a flat 75% of heavy armor spell resistances and finally instead 1/4 mitigation 2/4 of heavy armor would suffice much more so they have more leg room for addressing shields.
    Options
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They should replace it with that "Shock Turrent" spell the NPC Tower guards use in PvP.

2 second cast time, with a 10m radius and 2k damage ticks. Non spammable, but extremely deadly if well placed.
    Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
    Options
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lord_Hev wrote: »
    They should replace it with that "Shock Turrent" spell the NPC Tower guards use in PvP.

2 second cast time, with a 10m radius and 2k damage ticks. Non spammable, but extremely deadly if well placed.

2k damage ticks O_o ?

That doesn't sound very deadly at all.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had the same idea. A cast time and giving it a huge radius. But 2000 damage ticks is a bit harsh ;) remember our poor Dragonknight friends. They are very very sad, if they can't reflect 90% of the ranged abilities in the game.

However. I want Lightning splash to be our DPS support. A 2 sec cast time ability is poison for dungeon DPS. I think, increasing the tick damage and the radius by 2 meters should be good.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

Options
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It may find minor use as an anti-melee defense (if you're standing in the middle of it yourself)

Liquid Lightning's initial hit bonus is laughable, especially at the cost of 50% reduced area.

Lightning Flood has more potential. Add Weakness to shock by x% with each tick, so the longer you stand in it, the harder it hits.

Give it a disorient/knockdown proc chance...something. (Think Vet Darkshade Grobul's stun...)

There has to be more incentive for the enemy to get the heck out of the way. Longer duration doesn't do that by itself.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
    Options
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, that reminds me of Storm Gust in Ragnarok Online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMh77c059Io

Quite nostalgic. But if Sorcerers could get a skill like that, I'd be veeery happy.

Storm Gust
    - 2 Second cast time. For 5 seconds, creates a storm that deals x shock damage every 0.5 seconds.
    Blizzard
    - Also deals x frost damage every second with a chance to freeze targets.
    Thunderstorm
    - Every piece of Light Armor reduces cast time and increases duration.

/dream
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
    Options
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »

2k damage ticks O_o ?

Bat Swarms do around 2 - 3k.
    PC NA
    Options
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

2k damage ticks O_o ?

Not only is Batswarm not even a hard hitting ability, it also has no cast time and is not static. It also is an ultimate ability, so you can't balance the damage with that one, really.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
    Options
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

2k damage ticks O_o ?

Not only is Batswarm not even a hard hitting ability, it also has no cast time and is not static. It also is an ultimate ability, so you can't balance the damage with that one, really.

That's the point I was making. On it's own, the turrent won't hit hard. But with those damage ticks + your sustain DPS would melt melee opponents that stay in the AOE. This would be a great defense against wing spamming melee DKs. But with that cast time, you have to plan and execute accordingly. Thus, the balance of it.

Specifics aside, Lightning splash should serve the same threat and utility "Shock Turrent" does for those NPC Tower mages.
    Edited by Lord_Hev on February 17, 2015 1:16PM
    PC NA
    Options