Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Official Discussion Thread for "Ready for War: Orc and Redguard Armor"

• Pxx
    Pxx
    ESO folks, I'm glad you posted this, as I hadn't realized the armors were updated along with so many other things. I look forward to seeing the comparison for the other races as well.

Thanks for continuing to polish this awesome game!
  • Rial
    Rial
    ✭✭✭
    Well clearly they can forge metal, just look at their other weapons :P
    As the Spaniards vs the Aztecs showed us, stone vs metal armor/weapons =metals wins, always.
    Plus... paddle. It's a paddle.

Aren't all the other racial styles conventional enough for you that you can't stand one more exotic one? We have different styles to have different styles, not to have the same style in minor variations.
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    And as for argonians being "like native americans" that's about as helpful as saying "like native eurasians".

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Mayincatec , if that is specific enough a description for you.
    Edited by Rial on February 10, 2015 5:38PM
  • kimboh
    kimboh
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I logged into PTS on an alt (full medium Redguard armour) I was not very happy with the new appearance.
    I can craft any style of armour currently in game and I specifically chose Redguard medium for the look to suit my character, however, now it has a horrible shiny gloss and the dyes I used look completely different.
    Also I liked the old style because It was the only style that didn't have a flappy bit at the back, but now it does... /sigh
    I'd rather you spent the time to develope a new motif than changing an existing one.
    <l Cygnus X|VR14|Sorc l>
    <| Romulus Prime|VR12|Temp |>
    <| Qwoptus |lvl30|DK|>
    <| DC|EU |>
  • gradius_ESO
    gradius_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It cracks me up how many views and dislikes there have been on the PTS forum. Then they go and write a article saying 'look how good we did!'
  • Zabernat
    Zabernat
    ✭✭✭
    Rev Rielle wrote: »
    Re redguard light armour:

It's nice that you changed the floating shoulders, that was something (really the only thing) that required attention on the light armour.

It would be nice if development took on board what basically everyone has said about the redguard light armour to date on the PTS forums. After all, that's exactly what putting it up on PTS and giving us a forum to respond to is all about, is it not so?

Additionally when you have a look at the before and after on all of them it's clear that the redguard light armour appears very half-done. There's a distinct lack of texture detail in many areas, especially the main part of the lower robe. Finally, for a desert people to no longer have their facial protection is just ludicrous.

Other than that the armours look quite nice I think.

I completely agree and would love if we could at least keep the light armor helm redguards already have. Everything else (maybe minus the orc boob window maybe not, that one doesn't affect me) is awesome and if love to see more of!
    Kahjit main in the Aldmeri Dominion.
    Templar of the Knightly Orders
    Herald of Justice to all of Tamriel
  • Lynnessa
    Lynnessa
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rial wrote: »
    Finally that horrbile boob window is gone. Of all the races of Elder Scrolls, the orcs would be the last to even consider having them.
    and yet, in Elder scrolls games they did. Also, in real life women warriors also wore armors that showed cleavage because it distracted many male warriors.

"In real life, women warriors also..." ... I don't believe that. I thought that cultures such as the Celts that 1) included women in actual combat and 2) wore revealing/little/no armor did so not to "distract" the enemy with sexual charms, as you suggest, but because of either beliefs/traditions or lack of technology/resources to make enough gear for everyone.

As for the armor changes... meh.
  • Lord_Draevan
    Lord_Draevan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't all the other racial styles conventional enough for you that you can't stand one more exotic one? We have different styles to have different styles, not to have the same style in minor variations.

There's always a minor difference between swords and greatswords, except for Argonian which is jarringly different.
    I know, it's a personal preference, but they didn't need to change the Redguard or Orc ones, but they did anyways.
    I'm just asking them to change the Argonians greatsword to be more in keeping with the sword style.
    Edited by Lord_Draevan on February 10, 2015 6:11PM
    I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
    NA/PC server
  • UPrime
    UPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nooooooo, my boob window. I really liked the orc armor, was one of my favorites.
  • UPrime
    UPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Finally that horrbile boob window is gone. Of all the races of Elder Scrolls, the orcs would be the last to even consider having them.
    and yet, in Elder scrolls games they did. Also, in real life women warriors also wore armors that showed cleavage because it distracted many male warriors.
    In which Elder Scrolls game did Orcish armor have a boob window?

In the Online game, it had it up until patch 1.6. Since it was in there, it's now lore.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about you bring the old styles back as costumes in the Crown Store? I'm sure you'd make a few bucks off that.
    You can't dye costumes, so that won't solve much.

Just make new motifs and have two versions. Redguard Motif I, Redguard Motif II. This will open things up in the future for you to make alternate Daedric armors or something.
    Detector wrote: »
    Need 2 rare motifs (new+old) for each race. Don't destroy old style.

Yes on the PTS that idea was given voice too. It really seems to be the option that makes the most sense: They take nothing away, and only add more variety. It's honestly a win-win.

Ideally what I would ask the art department to do now, is continue with all the racial mofit armours and 'polish' a second motif for each one.
    Edited by Rev Rielle on February 10, 2015 8:36PM
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • PWNNWBS247
    PWNNWBS247
    Soul Shriven
    REDGUARD LIGHT ARMOR IS NO GOOD. The helmet of the previous light armor was one of the coolest in the game. It was almost Arabic and gave such a cultural element to the redguards wardrobe. PLEASE revise your decision ESO or at the very least switch the helm to include a mouth cover!!
  • charley222
    charley222
    ✭✭✭✭
    all my character are orc and every mmo i play i`m using orc
    and dont feel anything orc on this armor , pepole who are not agree np just google, image, you will see very quick is very not the same style , i will dont use 1 item of orc armor or weapon :( , maybe a mix of barbaric and bosmer and primal
    Edited by charley222 on February 10, 2015 9:59PM
    the wall of the covenant
  • BlueViolet
    BlueViolet
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to start by saying I think its great what the devs are doing. I really like it when they shoot for plausibility, and move away from some of the unrealistic armors out there.

I think a lot of people esthetically enjoy the cleavage view on armor in quite a few games. The issue for me in all of these instances is that it just defies believability. ... [snipped bits]

I'm fine with light 'armor' having exposed skin, but I have problems with the heavy set exposing the heart, lungs, face and neck. Like I stated previously I can understand the desire to add a feminine quality to your ensemble, I'm just not sure heavy armor is the place to do it necessarily.

P.S.: I also think a lot of shoulder pads get out of control in games. For some reason they are all to often the size of a truck fender.

I can completely understand believability issues for some people, and you're probably right, heavy armour isn't necessarily the set to add those qualities on, but, I never really worried too much over just a low cut neckline, considering you can shoot elemental spells from your hands, or a bit of wood, and other generally unbelievable things in the ESO universe.

That said, I do also understand your point, because despite rather liking the feminine qualities of flattering necklines, etc, I've always had a bit of an issue with things like chainmail bikini's. While I wont say that the female Orc chestplate was exactly subtle, it wasn't exactly the same as fighting a dragon in nothing more than a chainmail bra and knickers. I just felt that was going a little overboard.

Anyhow, back on topic, I agree on the shoulder pads thing. I don't know why some of them simply have to be so enormous, to the point where they almost ruin the look of the set. How would someone manage to swing a sword in the first place with those gigantic things in the way?
    I don't like "flappy bits" either.
    EU / NA / PC
  • Majeure
    Majeure
    ✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion the new Redguard Medium is terrible (especially the head piece) compared to what we had before, just saying. There's hardly any face/neck cover anymore, while the old Redguard medium was one of the only decent craftable medium armor sets in the game, now I'll have to make a whole new set of legendary gear and glyphs just to switch to a different style, transmog anyone? :neutral_face:
    Edited by Majeure on February 10, 2015 10:47PM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blue Violet, you raise a good point - the imperial pauldrons overbalance just about anyone who wears them.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Djeriko
    Djeriko
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ @ZOS_GinaBruno‌

Seeing as there is no new content (dungeon, story, etc.) in 1.6, the only thing I had left in this game was playing characters that I think look nice. The change to the Redguard heavy armor ruins that for me. I have unfortunately had to cancel my account over this because, again, this was the only thing keeping me here. I want to have a reason to play this game. I do not want to have to quit.

Please reconsider this change - at least fix the Redguard heavy armor as described below or offer both versions.

hkhd3npg7dez.png
    eyzjo1kpxyki.png

Actually the flap on current redguard armor is cloth as well. My complaint of the cloth portions of current redguard armor has this dusty look that makes any color you put on it different than the metal portions. Thanks for letting me know they didn't change this in the new models too. So unfortunate. I have told them this from pretty much day one to look at the colors of the cloth portions of the redguard greaves. Also why so much exposed leather on the thighs in the newer models?! If one is wearing heavy armor, the legs are a constant weakness because it has the femoral artery. This is unrealistic (which I am aware is odd to mention in a fantasy game) more so when you compare all of the other heavy armors who have plate metal on their thighs. Put the metal back on their legs. It kinda needs the protection. And on to the boots! Why did you change the redguard boots overall look to the foot hugging style? At least the older style looks like the character is wearing a boot. Now it looks like they are wearing stockings that hug everything. Are we running around barefoot now? Breton style boots have the same problem. Basically the armor just changes the skin on our toon's legs but not actual layers of clothing. Its odd. It wouldn't affect me so much if it wasn't my favorite style of armor! You left orc heavy alone but just added fine detail and completely started from scratch on redguard! NOT COOL!
    Edited by Djeriko on February 11, 2015 1:38AM
    "When in doubt, kill it with fire."
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    charley222 wrote: »
    all my character are orc and every mmo i play i`m using orc
    and dont feel anything orc on this armor , pepole who are not agree np just google, image, you will see very quick is very not the same style , i will dont use 1 item of orc armor or weapon :( , maybe a mix of barbaric and bosmer and primal

You're aware that the Elder Scrolls "Orcs" are just a more tribal/savage form of Elf rather than some "Ey, look! Dem stunties! Get da boyz'n gunna bas dem gud!"? There's a reason they've also got an Elven name: Orsimer.
  • Latin
    Latin
    ✭✭✭
    I am strongly against the proposed changes made to Redguard' light and heavy armours as well as Orcs' light armour. The other new designs are rather mediocre at best, relative to the old models.
    While it is welcoming to see the design team seeking to 'improve' armour styles among other things, 'watering-down' the uniqueness of the aforementioned types of armours is a step in the wrong direction. Please do not implement the new designs.
  • Flexar
    Flexar
    ✭✭✭
    To be quite honest, the only thing I like about any of the redesigns is that the stupid cleavage window on female Orcish heavy armour is gone. I liked the bulkiness of the Orcish armour, which has completely been done away with. The new Redguard heavy isn't that bad, but we don't need another pair of heavy greaves that don't actually have any plating on them. The new Redguard medium and light armours are just bland and unexciting. I wouldn't mind seeing these in game, but they ought to be introduced via separate motifs instead of replacing perfectly good armour.
  • cote-bmsb16_ESO
    cote-bmsb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    They ruined Redguard Medium armor on female characters. Its flat! Its glossy and looks like plastic, instead of leather. The new medium looks bumpy, not smooth, it looks like a piece of shiny poo--Unfinished, half assed. It does not highlight any feminine highlights or curves. The previous medium redguard armor was badass, it looked like it was designed for a woman. It had cool belts and layers along the sides and the back piece was just as intricate as the front (the only issue was the shoulder pieces floated too much), the textures were more like soft leather. The redguard medium had red buttons, they arent on the new medium. I wasted my resources on redguard medium chest piece, ZOS just ripping the carpet from under my v14 in 1.6.
    See here for my comparison picture. http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/148868/redguard-and-orc-new-armors/p3
  • Branovices
    Branovices
    ✭✭✭
    As seems to be the consensus; overall I like everything except the changes to Redguard light armor. I'm happy to see things tightened up and made more realistic looking, but the Redguard light set has lost its unique flair. I really liked the buckles and face-wrap.

Also, I will join in the chorus of thanks for getting rid of the ridiculous 'boob window' on the Orc heavy set.
    Edited by Branovices on February 11, 2015 5:07PM
  • Naivefanboi
    Naivefanboi
    ✭✭✭✭
    oh thank goodness they polished some armor sets....
  • Greeniewolfub17_ESO
    Branovices wrote: »
    Also, I will join in the chorus of thanks for getting rid of the ridiculous 'boob window' on the Orc heavy set.

It seems like only the mysogonists and the "omg she would die because i know everything about armor when I really don't" are actually glad to see the orc neckline disappear. far and away most people hate the new look.

Me: "Okay lets run to Alessia. Mount up and follow me!"
    Me five seconds later: "Um yeah... totally forgot about that cliff..."
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't look like anything is mentioned about the armor sets in 1.6.2. Can anyone confirm by logging in?

I don't even know why I'm still hopeful for a change.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    FlyAnkle wrote: »
    Please, change the vizor of the Breton hevy helm...the black texture on this vizor there can be see the part of characters face and eyes...its just terrible, its really not a good work...and its spoils such a nice armor.

Breton-Quicksilver-Male-VR7-Normal-Front1.png

Breton-Quicksilver-Male-VR7-Normal-Right1.png

If I have to nitpick, my biggest problem with the way the visor looks is that it doesn't seem to lock into place and the neck is very exposed.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Lord_Draevan
    Lord_Draevan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get why all the visored helms except Imperial Heavy Tier 3 just have a black strip instead of letting us see inside... seems bit odd.
    I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
    NA/PC server
  • Maverick827
    Maverick827
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get why all the visored helms except Imperial Heavy Tier 3 just have a black strip instead of letting us see inside... seems bit odd.
    It probably looks weird or creepy the other way. I know in past games I've always prefers opaque visor slits because it looked weird otherwise. Just eyeballs almost poking out or something.
  • Izze
    Izze
    Soul Shriven
    Almost all of the changes look fantastic! Love the way the new heavy boots look especially, they're less pointy-flat and more like real feet are in there.

Also, I know it's been said a thousand times, but thank you thank you thank you for removing the boob window. Anyone who's fighting for it: Why do you want it so bad?? Just get the Seducer costume, or google "sexie titties" if you need to see em so bad. Armor is not the place, lol.
  • Narttu
    Narttu
    Soul Shriven
    I'm really not happy with the more covered up Orc heavy armour. I love everything else about the new look, it looks fantastic. That whole set has been my favourite since day one of the game, because it was different from the others and was just overall very pleasing to my eye. (I'm a 26 year old female, not into the armour just because of boobs.)
    Now there will be no heavy armour sets I actually really like in the game, which isn't really that big a deal over all, but still sad for me.

The only other peeve I have is with the Redguard light armour helm. Why remove the face protection of a desert dwelling people?
    Edited by Narttu on February 12, 2015 11:54PM
  • FlyAnkle
    FlyAnkle
    Soul Shriven
    FlyAnkle wrote: »
    Please, change the vizor of the Breton hevy helm...the black texture on this vizor there can be see the part of characters face and eyes...its just terrible, its really not a good work...and its spoils such a nice armor.

Breton-Quicksilver-Male-VR7-Normal-Front1.png

Breton-Quicksilver-Male-VR7-Normal-Right1.png

If I have to nitpick, my biggest problem with the way the visor looks is that it doesn't seem to lock into place and the neck is very exposed.

yeah, some changes for this armor will be really cool..make it heavier and tougher..cos I really like this armor..one of my favorites