The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Can we have a One-Handed skill line?

• Slaunyeh
    Slaunyeh
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I would like a separate One-Handed skill line.
    Azzuria wrote: »
    Uh... just dual wield with one weapon?

That doesn't exist right now. If you're wielding a one handed weapon in one hand, and nothing in the other, you default to the '1H and shield' skill line, not dual wield.
  • GnatB
    GnatB
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would be an interesting idea to have some sort of fencing skill line.

Address Target (toggle):
    Increases Dodge chance against target by 30%. Reduces armor by 50%.

Parry:
    The next time you block any melee attack by your addressed target, mitigation is 100%, and target is stunned for 2 seconds.

Riposte:
    After a successful parry, counter attack for significant Damage.

Coup de grace:
    Instantly kill your addressed regular target if below 25% health. If boss, does the 300%.

Flourish:
    Taunt target for X seconds.

Sort of an avoidance/counter attack tank line
    Achievements Suck
  • Jankstar
    Jankstar
    ✭✭✭
    I would also like to see a polearm skill line, so my templar can spear while she spears.
  • AoEnwyr
    AoEnwyr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes because I like playing a mage with a dagger however I don't want to dual wield. In TES games I have always been able to do this but not in ESO :(
  • CPTproton
    CPTproton
    ✭✭
    Voted yes, as the more options the merrier. Could see it working for a single dagger wielding thief etc.
  • Kalann_Pander
    Kalann_Pander
    ✭✭✭
    Aett_Thorn wrote: »
    I, too, would love just a single-weapon line, possibly broken into two different skill lines: 1) A brawler-type line, with skills using the free hand to brawl/grapple the enemy and/or be more evasive, and 2) a weapon/spell combo like from Skyrim, with possibly wards or something, making it a hybrid stamina/magika skill line.

There's enough place in one skill line for all that. :)
    The low level actives/passives should reflect the brawly/dodgy side, while the more exotic mystic stuff would come later on, when you're well experienced in the skill-line.

Opinions are like buttholes : Everybody has one, and they usually stink.

3 things to reduce stamina/magicka imbalance :
    - Use magicka to block abilities costing magicka, instead of stamina.
    - Add % damage reduction to heavy armor.
    - Add block penetration to 2H.
  • Anvos
    Anvos
    ✭✭✭
    No, we should not have a One-Handed skill line.
    Went with no since only the design limitation of having to bind a spell to your hand is why you would want one hand over doing something with the other in ES games.

Plus spellsword is actually sword and board when you don't have to bind your spells to a hand.
  • Cyhawk
    Cyhawk
    ✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Makes no sense to me. What are you using the other hand for? Every weapon line requires you to fill both hand-slots; not doing so is inefficient.
    One-handed is just half-way between Sword-and-Board and Dual-Wielding, and I see no purpose to it.

Like most 1 handed weapon styles in real life, balance. Having this balance allows you to be more accurate with your weapon over having to balance yourself with a shield.

With this in mind, a 1h weapon line would focus on more powerful single attacks and some sort of accuracy skills, like a stun, or a snare attached to it. Kind of a combo between 2h and Dual weapons.
    Samadhi wrote: »
    I just want to see unarmed combat/hand-to-hand become a skill line.

YES! I also want Khajits to get a bonus to this. I WANT MY PUNCHCAT BACK!
    Edited by Cyhawk on August 15, 2014 7:58AM
  • zgrssd
    zgrssd
    ✭✭✭✭
    I totalyl agree this would be nice to have.

We just need to figure out what it's place among the melee styles would be.

Sword&Board is Tanking/debuffs/blocking

Two handed is Knocks, Rush amd AoE.

Dual wield is executes & sparks

The one thing this line could set itself appart, was if it was heavily affected by the specific weapon equipped.

Destroy staff is heailvy affected. Skills change thier effect (both special and secondary effect) based on weapon equipped.
    2handed is averagely affected by weapon. There is passive for it and it is easily acessible.
    Dual Wield is lightly affected. It has a passive reacting to weapon type, but very late in the lines progression.

As a easier alternative, how about giving two handed a Piercing weapon? It is two handed, because you cannot use the other hand for anything.
    It would work like 2 handed (same game effects), using different special effects/animations. The weaponbased passives bonus would be extra Crit (like daggers do for dual wield).
    Elana Peterson (EU), Dominion, Imperial Sorc, Rune & Alchemy Crafting Char
    Leonida Peterson (EU), Daggerfall, Kajiit Nightblade, Tank & main Crafter
    Kurga Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Ork Dragonknight, Provision Mule
    Coldblood Peterson (EU) Argonian Templer, Daggerfall, Healer
    Incendia Peterson (EU), Dominion, Dunmer Dragonknight, fire DPS & healer
    Haldor Belendor (EU), Ebonhart, Breton Sorcerer, Tank
    Fuliminictus Peterson (EU), Ebonhart, Altmer Sorcerer, Electric DPS

Me babbling about PvE roles and Armor, Short Guide to Addon Programming (for Programmers)

If you think anything I or somebody else said violates the Rules of this Forum, you are free to flag my posts. Till I get any notifcaion from this, I just asume you know you have no case against me or Zenimax disagrees with you.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kego wrote: »
    Think Akaviri katana, Kendo, or even Fencing. This is the style that would be nice for this purpose.
    • Katana is often used with two hands or together with a Wakizashi.
    • Fencing is not fighting style for wars.
    • Kendo is fought mostly two handed.

1) The Katana is a sword that could be wielded with one or two hands, and was used in warfare.

2) Fencing was a fighting style used for wars. You are confused. The Olympic sort of fencing used with a foil currently doesn't encompass all that fencing is about. There are many fighting styles that the old European swordsman used, in fact they didn't always use swords. There was in fact training and manuals for single sword combat. Swords couldn't always be wielded, could be broken, could be lost. Additionally, we're only fighting wars in Cyrodil. Most of the time we're being heroes somewhere.

3) You're right, Kendo is mostly two handed, and its a sportive form of kenjitsu which is nothing more than fancy Japanese words for 'sword method/way' or sword fighting style.

Sorry, you're nitpicking over details. If combat were a little more realistic for this era you'd also have Cavaliers, lancers, halberds and any number of other techniques available and appropriate to the cultures involved. Single-sword fighting is legitimate enough for someone to want, and seemingly easy enough for them to code in comparison to something like Mounted combat. I used 'Akaviri Katana' because this weapon style actually played a very important role in Imperial history. I can understand perhaps not wanting another fighting stance in the game, but personally as someone who likes the weapon combat side of things, I'd love to see more variety. I am really hoping weapons get the same interesting options as Spells are getting from Spellcrafting, some day.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Dovel
    Dovel
    ✭✭✭
    Yes!
  • Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter to me.
    The other hand should be able to punch which slowly depletes enemy Stamina rather than taking health. Just like in Morrowind once they run out of stamina punching them should knock them down. no? okay then.
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would lead to people complaining that their single one handed sword doesn't do as much damage as someone with two one handed swords.

"Ermahgerd ZOS, make single one handed swords as powerful as all the other weaponses!"

"My friend's are laughing at me because I only do half the damage of players dual-wielding swords. I'm supposed to be able to play as I want!"

If it's truly a one handed skill line, then technically you can't be doing anything with the other hand. Otherwise it becomes a different form of two handed combat.
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It doesn't make sense not to use a shield, they are easy enough to find, and in real fights a shield is a good idea.

Only in films did people fight with only a sword, even in duels people used a dagger in the off hand, or if desperate a cloak wrapped around the offhand. There used to be some posters I could find for that one.

I know some people want this, but it's silly, grab a shield or an off-hand weapon.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GnatB wrote: »
    Would be an interesting idea to have some sort of fencing skill line.

Address Target (toggle):
    Increases Dodge chance against target by 30%. Reduces armor by 50%.

Parry:
    The next time you block any melee attack by your addressed target, mitigation is 100%, and target is stunned for 2 seconds.

Riposte:
    After a successful parry, counter attack for significant Damage.

Coup de grace:
    Instantly kill your addressed regular target if below 25% health. If boss, does the 300%.

Flourish:
    Taunt target for X seconds.

Sort of an avoidance/counter attack tank line

I don't see this as "interesting" so much as laughable.

Fencing is only useful if your opponent has decided that they are also going to adhere to the rules of fencing. It has zero application outside of a dueling scenario. And yes, before the peanut gallery chimes in, I'm aware this is a fantasy game. But the weapons they use are somewhat grounded in reality. Rapiers are for a very specific kind of combat. They're useless against any kind of armored foe.
    ----
    Murray?
  • mad.ferretb16_ESO
    Maybe It could increase dodging or something?
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would need to be a dodge and parry based skill line. Strong vs. melee but weak versus ranged type of deal.
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sallington wrote: »
    It would need to be a dodge and parry based skill line. Strong vs. melee but weak versus ranged type of deal.

There is no reason for it to be strong against melee.

Two handed would dodge as much, but have another weapon to hit with.
    A shield would mean you can block, and get less damage.

Having a sword (or axe, or hammer) and nothing in the off-hand has no benefit.

Only in Duels did this happen, and even then they usually had something in the off-hand. Outside of a rigid set of rules it's plain stupid, forget what you see in the movies, you just die quicker.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Only in Duels did this happen, and even then they usually had something in the off-hand. Outside of a rigid set of rules it's plain stupid, forget what you see in the movies, you just die quicker.

I 100% agree that it wouldn't work in ESO, just because of how the classes/stats work. There's no agility or dodge stats to stack, so it would just be a gimped version of other weapon skils.
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
  • mousekime111rwb17_ESO
    With regard to 'what do you do with your empty hand' questions. Well you could grab your opponent, punch them in the face and knock them off balance, you could use it to reinforce a big swing that allows for a very quick follow up attack, you could use it to balance yourself (think reduced effectiveness of cc/reduced cost of cc break) You could use it to cast spells, you use it for feign attacks (feign a thrust with your right arm,quickly hop the weapon to your left hand and hamstring your opponent.)

That's enough cool things to make a weapon skill line I think...
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And a skull in the off-hand for necromantic purposes. :#

Seriously, if they implement one-hand style, they should detach shield and make it it's own tree and add others (eg foci, gadgets, nets) with it.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • Caspur
    Caspur
    ✭✭✭
    This would definitely be worth it once spell crafting comes out. Using a single sword in one hand and magic in another, if that's how spell crafting would work. A skill tree that would benefit this play style would work nicely.
    A place where everything and nothing exists, this is my playground.
  • Lord_Draevan
    Lord_Draevan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pretty much always play the single player TES games with a one-handed weapon in one hand and a spell in the other, so I was kind of disappointed to see ESO did not have that. I hope it gets added eventually.
    Edited by Lord_Draevan on January 5, 2015 1:12PM
    I'm a man of few words. Any questions?
    NA/PC server
  • Bloodystab
    Bloodystab
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes yes yes, and i would love to see Heavy Shield & Light Shield line.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I for one would like to see more weapon skill trees, and among them, an one-handed "duellist" style.

Though I can see how that might perhaps leave the offhand a bit too empty... though perhaps there could be an new type of item (rune focus for the spellsword feeling? hand crossbow for the pirate feeling? Though a bottle of something vile and high-alcohol would do for that as well... ;-p) to be held so the game can better tell it apart from dual wield and S&S...

As for the historical parts...
    ...yes, Katana were indeed wielded either with both hands, or in dual wield with the Wakizashi. Though in true history these blades were a samurais last ditch weapon anyhow (as Samurai in warfare were superb mounted archers, not generally swordsmen), they only gained their fame after firearms spelled the traditional Samurais end and they needed to glorify something.
    ...european styles had a lot of fencing in warfare though... just not the foil fencing you see at the onlympics, but heavy saber fencing - see cavalry. Since the offhand was usually needed to hold on to your horse in battle... or to grab one of those clumsy "fire them once then forget about 'em for the rest of the fight" flintlocks...
    ...and of course outside battlefields, there were many people of more or less noble blood strutting around with swords at their hips, itching for the next duel... well... maybe not as many as Alexandre Dumas would have you think, but still quite a few. Though is it true that a parrying dagger was common to use in your offhand (or, as has been mentioned, a short cloak to wave in your opponents face for surprise value and to obfuscate your simultanous strike...)
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Not quite right, in the era after sabres replaced swords, and the sabre was mostly a back-up weapon for a pike, musket or pistol, no Shields were used.
  • Razzak
    Razzak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apothecy wrote: »
    I probably wouldn't use it myself, but I'm sure there's people out there who prefer not to use the shield.

Same here. Having more options pleases more players, so it's only beneficial.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pretty much always play the single player TES games with a one-handed weapon in one hand and a spell in the other, so I was kind of disappointed to see ESO did not have that. I hope it gets added eventually.
    Interestingly enough, that was a plan during ESO's development. It was called "One Hand and Rune", and went along with a different set of Crafting lines which included Runecrafting.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Drelkag
    Drelkag
    ✭✭✭
    Would love it myself. Make it focused on more DPS or such.
    @drelkag on the NA server
  • kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    kelly.medleyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    emeraldbay wrote: »
    Since the One Hand and Shield skill line now requires...well, a shield, could we have a skill line that revolves around using a one-handed weapon without a shield? This isn't like a super important thing that needs to be done RIGHT NOW or anything, but it would be nice, since there are plenty of mobs who only use a one-handed weapon and no shield.

Keep in mind that this is only whether or not you would want it. If you vote "yes", that does NOT mean you want it done right now, it just means you would like it done sometime in the future.

57% for ZoS to waste precious resource on a totally useless skill line yet 90% naysayers for a revamping of the simplistic dumbed down crafting system?

I mean, I could see asking for polearm or something useful but 1 handed and nothing... really...

Wow, the future of this game looks grim, what kind of super casual have you attracted to you ZoS? I'm surprised some of these people could even enter their parents CC information to play this game....