The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Vice: Drinking, Smoking, Gambling ....oh my!

WraithAzraiel
WraithAzraiel
✭✭✭✭✭
Being as the Elder Scrolls series has pretty much always been more adult oriented, in the sense of murder and adult themed mayhem - shouldn't it stand to reason that more of these things of which are bad for us should hold a staple in ESO?

Wouldn't it be just a little more robust if you could get your character drunk? Have them smoke a cigar or a pipe? Wander in to a nearby inn and lose a small fortune on cards or dice?
Edited by WraithAzraiel on December 31, 2014 6:15PM
Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
#Tamriel_BETA_Team
#BETA_TESTER4LYF
DominionMasterRace
#GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
#SEEMSLEGIT

Vice: Drinking, Smoking, Gambling ....oh my! 163 votes

Yes! Give me the goods! I want screen-shaking drunkytimes, hazy smoke clouds, and the rush of adrenaline from games of chance! Why not, throw in loan sharks too! I'm looking at you, Thieves Guild
75%
IcyDeadPeopleGogog BloodthroatMataatathesilverball_ESOblaineswing_ESOGidorickSlurgjnjdun_ESOSweetroll-Banditeventide03b14a_ESOJahosefatWraithAzraielLtCrunchPsychobunnidaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOderuddb14_ESOdesciviib14_ESOotis67ers101284b14_ESOkatkat42 123 votes
No! My happy funtime games don't need this debauchery
3%
SlayerSyrenaDiviniusOrangeTheCatAnath_QRomoKeiffo 6 votes
No feeling one way or the other
6%
shawtst0p15nerevarine1138PKMN12Heishigdorsettub17_ESOThatHappyCatJKorrRa1neAnvosKBKBTaself 11 votes
Yes! But keep it with emotes, no game systems. We don't need another gold sink.
14%
firstdecanDemiragrimsfieldKhajitFurTraderkwisatzVegarothKorprokRunhentDaraughjanne.makisaloeb17_ESOJermu73elias.stormneb18_ESOBloodystabdroids097kallistiGADAoife32001lordbazukaBBSoonerFlexarHorrum 24 votes
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! Give me the goods! I want screen-shaking drunkytimes, hazy smoke clouds, and the rush of adrenaline from games of chance! Why not, throw in loan sharks too! I'm looking at you, Thieves Guild
    I demand HOOKERS!!!!

More Hookers!! Less Hoarkers!!
  • Psychobunni
    Psychobunni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I don't "need" it per say, but one of my favorite quests in a diff game consisted of running inn to inn to drink all under a timer, while your screen blurred a bit and you ran/horse rode a bit side ways......or getting a drink from that keg only to wake up pantsless in a random location....

fun stuff is always welcome :D
    If options weren't necessary, and everyone played the same way, no one would use addons. Fix the UI!

• Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey, why not? Isn't that part of "play your way"? I like to go to Windhelm from time to time to knock back some drinks with the crowd in the streets.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding! Keep it coming, folks! Gimme why's and why-not's!

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • PSLAnimal
    PSLAnimal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heck yeah! Make it more like real life!
    Animal (Ask me what the PSL stands for. Go on. Ask.)
    @PSLAnimal on the NA Megaserver
    Making people wonder just what the hell is wrong with me since 1961.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please ensure you used the supplied ashtrays :)

Save the baby goats! o:)
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be very happy if I could drink and alcoholic beverage and have it affect my vision. I would even be content with a few emotes.

But I would be even happier if there was some sort of gambling mini-game like poker or blackjack (or a tamrielic equivalent) was implemented at the inns and bunkhouses.
  • Sindala
    Sindala
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO was always aiming for a Teens rating but right at the last minute the 'old gits' whoever gives out those ratings changed it to a Mature due to the fact you can kill people.

Moderator note: Edited per our rules on inappropriate content
    Edited by ZOS_TristanK on January 6, 2015 11:59PM
    Being First is not the prize, it just mean's everyone can stab you in the back.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we're adding drinking, drugs, gambling, and loan sharks, we definitely need to follow through and add women of ill repute. I mean, hey, we had the house of earthly pleasures in morrowind...
    Edited by Lynx7386 on December 31, 2014 8:43PM
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • PSLAnimal
    PSLAnimal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    If we're adding drinking, drugs, gambling, and loan sharks, we definitely need to follow through and add women of ill repute. I mean, hey, we had the house of earthly pleasures in morrowind...

Take a look upstairs in the inn in Ebonheart.
    Animal (Ask me what the PSL stands for. Go on. Ask.)
    @PSLAnimal on the NA Megaserver
    Making people wonder just what the hell is wrong with me since 1961.
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say "yes," but it's wishful thinking. We can't even swear in the forums, without someone coming by and smacking us on the hand with a ruler.... :|

If we have women of ill repute, I'll vote for some men of ill repute. I can get down with a tall, golden Altmer to... uh, fluff my pillows. Yes. That's what I'd use him for.
    Edited by Hanokihs on December 31, 2014 8:54PM
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game is beautiful (visually) and very nice (for lack of a better term), but not enough darkness to contrast the nice. I'd love to see a better balance... add in some of the art from dark souls 2 and sound effects. Then more dark choices and results inclusive of the story, art, animations etc... Liking all the other suggestions too.
  • SlayerSyrena
    SlayerSyrena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind the addition of some emotes (such as smoking a pipe, walking drunk, etc ...) that would be awesome. BUT, I still voted no as I'm really not interested in prostitution being a thing in Elder Scrolls (I mean, look at that first comment. Don't want to go down that slippery slope as I prefer the maturity in ES to stay as it always has been, subtle and, at times, funny.)
    PC/NA, Level 50 * Current Champion Points: 1600+
    Cyndril - Bosmer Vampire Nightblade - Dual Wield Blades and Bow

***Member of the closed early beta group, The Psijic Order***
    Guest on first ESO Live
    My ESO fan art and comics
  • Rezzy64
    Rezzy64
    ✭✭✭
    I strongly agree!

A couple of the MMO's I really liked had gambling related mini games and they were freaking awesome. It was really fun to just log onto my account, set up a mini game on my character accepting challenges, I would afk doing some other things and then a challenge would pop up, the money would hit the table and a "Chess-like" game would start.
    It was great collecting money and rewards from other players, it was like a completely different kind of pvp. The sets that you played the minigames had different looks, and you had to collect very specific materials to build them.
    Mini games with gambling, that's a definite yes out of me.

Alcohol and drugs, that would be pretty neat. I think it would be fun to run around while under the influence of something. I think it would be a little out of hand for provisioning though. I mean there are so many different alcoholic beverages (I think most of them are types of beer), if being drunk was an actual affect would we be applying it to EVERY alcoholic beverage in the game (which is a lot), or are we expected to see a complete revamp of the provisioning line?
    I will admit though, Skooma would actually feel like a huge moral issue if we as players were allowed to see prolonged usage of skooma on a player's character.
  • Psychobunni
    Psychobunni
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, Ebony Flask in Ebonheart.(serves a multitude of tastes upstairs and down) I don't remember quite where but there is a lady cat in AD who talks abt how soldiers aren't quite good enough for her girls....and there is also the "morale soldier" in Eastmarch in a tent.....you can't get your freak on yourself, but they are in the game
    If options weren't necessary, and everyone played the same way, no one would use addons. Fix the UI!

• WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind the addition of some emotes (such as smoking a pipe, walking drunk, etc ...) that would be awesome. BUT, I still voted no as I'm really not interested in prostitution being a thing in Elder Scrolls (I mean, look at that first comment. Don't want to go down that slippery slope as I prefer the maturity in ES to stay as it always has been, subtle and, at times, funny.)

I never suggested prostitution. I suggested smoking, drinking and gambling. 2 of which are already in the game in some form.

It's not the addition of these things will lead to an evolution of the addition of hookers and blow. There's no natural evolution. It's a controlled system.

It's not like a week or two after the devs code this stuff in, random hookers and venereal diseases start springing up of their own accord. It would have to be programmed in.

Saying no for the sake of not wanting it to follow the natural "GateWay" progression that is realistic vices, is unreasonable and unfounded. Nothing can enter the game that the devs don't place there on purpose(with the exception of bugs).

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding! Keep it coming, folks! Gimme why's and why-not's!

We just need a solid idea that benefits end game PvE somehow and this will be as good as done. =P
  • SlayerSyrena
    SlayerSyrena
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I never suggested prostitution. I suggested smoking, drinking and gambling. 2 of which are already in the game in some form.

It's not the addition of these things will lead to an evolution of the addition of hookers and blow. There's no natural evolution. It's a controlled system.

It's not like a week or two after the devs code this stuff in, random hookers and venereal diseases start springing up of their own accord. It would have to be programmed in.

Saying no for the sake of not wanting it to follow the natural "GateWay" progression that is realistic vices, is unreasonable and unfounded. Nothing can enter the game that the devs don't place there on purpose(with the exception of bugs).

Yes, and I regret editing out the part that said, "I know the OP didn't say this." Because, I do know that is not what you were suggesting. I'm just saying that is where the mindset would lead to (again, I will point to the very first reply in this thread).

'It's not like a week or two after the devs code this stuff in, random hookers and venereal diseases start springing up of their own accord. It would have to be programmed in.'

So programming has to be involved first? What a relief! I honestly had no idea that is how games worked! :P (Again, I am saying that this would lead to a call for such content to be added. There was a much earlier thread like this that went exactly in the same direction I mentioned.)

And again, I'm all for the emotes (drunkstagger, smokepipe, etc ...) to be added, as those are harmless (and good for rp for that matter).

TL;DR: OP has good suggestions. Just worried others might push for worse content to go with it.

Guest on first ESO Live
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, and I regret editing out the part that said, "I know the OP didn't say this." Because, I do know that is not what you were suggesting. I'm just saying that is where the mindset would lead to (again, I will point to the very first reply in this thread).

'It's not like a week or two after the devs code this stuff in, random hookers and venereal diseases start springing up of their own accord. It would have to be programmed in.'

So programming has to be involved first? What a relief! I honestly had no idea that is how games worked! :P (Again, I am saying that this would lead to a call for such content to be added. There was a much earlier thread like this that went exactly in the same direction I mentioned.)

And again, I'm all for the emotes (drunkstagger, smokepipe, etc ...) to be added, as those are harmless (and good for rp for that matter).

TL;DR: OP has good suggestions. Just worried others might push for worse content to go with it.

I get your point. There's always somebody that's going to push that envelope.

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • Beowulf_McCallum
    Beowulf_McCallum
    ✭✭✭

The justice system will allow you to murder townsfolk. ....drinking, drugs and prostitution are somehow worse than taking an innocent life??

please explain how your logic led you to this conclusion.
    Edited by Beowulf_McCallum on December 31, 2014 10:18PM
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Include men of ill repute and I'm in. Equal opportunity bordellos dammit! LOL Seriously, male and female hookers should totally be a thing in ESO. They had them in Age of Conan and you could get a nice buff...or a fairly embarrassing debuff from them. It was awesome! LOL
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I nominate this for the best poll of the year award. Now, point me to the hookers and gambling tables please.
  • SlayerSyrena
    SlayerSyrena
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The justice system will allow you to murder townsfolk. ....drinking, drugs and prostitution are somehow worse than taking an innocent life??

First, stop putting words in my mouth. Read my post. I didn't say that I was against drinking and drugs in this game. Hello, there is plenty of that in the game already (sujamma and skooma for example) and I said, clearly, that emotes involving those would be good for rp.

Secondly, I think you know exactly why the Justice system is not the same as implementing Prostitution in the game. It's a different type of darkness, and one that is controversial, and I don't think it'd reflect well on the Elder Scrolls game titles in general.

Guest on first ESO Live
  • Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

First, stop putting words in my mouth. Read my post. I didn't say that I was against drinking and drugs in this game. Hello, there is plenty of that in the game already (sujamma and skooma for example) and I said, clearly, that emotes involving those would be good for rp.

Secondly, I think you know exactly why the Justice system is not the same as implementing Prostitution in the game. It's a different type of darkness, and one that is controversial, and I don't think it'd reflect well on the Elder Scrolls game titles in general.

@Beowulf_McCallum‌
    There's actually a certain point in @SlayerSyrena post‌ . The mere nature of the act (and how people perceive it) is of some concern, and may reflect badly on the game depending on how it was implemented---or even implemented at all. It may be similar in nature, but believe me when I say that even id the deeds were similar, they deeds can hold vastly different values.

For example, would you consider the murder of an adult man to be of the same value as the murder of an infant? Murder is murder, yes. But ask around, say, 5 people and you will get various answers about how one murder is 'more wrong' than the other. (It's part of the reason why many find issue with killing children or implement them as being in a 'dangerous environment'.)

Similarly, while the justice system and its implications may mean one thing, adding in another system which is about another dark deed could very easily mean something worse to some people. Especially if wasn't 'discouraged' somehow in-game.

I could be wrong, but I think @SlayerSyrena‌ is mostly concerned about how the 'controversial themes' (if they increase in abundance) would possibly become so prevalent in-game to the point that it was overdone. Perhaps to the point where the community, or at least the atmosphere, would be degraded. Like, maybe she just doesn't want it to end up where the game is known for its allowance of 'sinful conduct'?[Again, could totally be wrong on the interpretation. Correct me if I'm wrong.]
  • Beowulf_McCallum
    Beowulf_McCallum
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather more Daggerfall and less Skyrim TBH.
    This IP is NOT an innocent devoid of adult themes. Quite the contrary. Do some research on Molag Bal for instance. I'm saddened that the series continues to get watered down in the fear that it might offend some players willing to fill the coffers.

so, aside from that... what would be the issue adding Drinking, drug (Skooma) use, and ....let's say....the lore established House of Dibella???
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep it civil, keep it healthy. NO VD HERE FOLKS!

Happy New Year my loverlies!

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • Liedeke
    Liedeke
    ✭✭✭
    I'm always up for more stuff! :smiley:
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love how people are all for getting drunk (which leads to tens of thousands of deaths per year), smoking (which kills nearly as many from cancer per year), doing drugs (which kills the users and nearby individuals alike on occasion), and mob-style loan sharking (which entails shakedowns, beatings, extortion, and assassination), but the second you mention prostitution... no, cant have a random kid springing up once in a while, or living with an itch for the rest of your life, that's pushing the moral envelope just TOO FAR.

People really have messed up priorities these days. Push the violence and greed, but withhold the love.
    Edited by Lynx7386 on January 1, 2015 3:20AM
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I love how people are all for getting drunk (which leads to tens of thousands of deaths per year), smoking (which kills nearly as many from cancer per year), doing drugs (which kills the users and nearby individuals alike on occasion), and mob-style loan sharking (which entails shakedowns, beatings, extortion, and assassination), but the second you mention prostitution... no, cant have a random kid springing up once in a while, or living with an itch for the rest of your life, that's pushing the moral envelope just TOO FAR.

People really have messed up priorities these days. Push the violence and greed, but withhold the love.

Did you see the people flipping out when they found out some of the NPCs where gay?
  • SlayerSyrena
    SlayerSyrena
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are plenty of love stories in ESO. :) Just another reason why it's an awesome game. One of the saddest stories involved the love of the father for his son. Tanval Indoril, the father of Garyn Indoril, and his heartbreak at his
    son's death.

Another involves a mourning husband that asks you to help gather flowers for his wife's burial. Sad but touching.

Thankfully there are plenty of love stories with happy endings too.

(And, you know the conversation has gotten desperate when prostitution would be equated with love).

Also, @Zorrashi, thank you for understanding the intent behind my posts. I'm going to move on from this thread as I really have nothing more to say on the topic and I also have a lot of work to get done tonight.

And one more thing, Happy New Year! :D

Guest on first ESO Live