Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Targeting spiders.

kimboh
kimboh
✭✭✭✭
I've been levelling an alt since 1.5 and I've been having real trouble targeting spiders, especially while they are feeding.
I am using a bow and DW, I never had this much trouble before but now I am regularly dying in delves because I can't target the spiders.
It seems it maybe the corpses of the dead spiders are obstructing the targeting which means I cannot interrupt them while feeding.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Edit: just did a little experimenting, it's definitely the dead spiders blocking my targeting.
Edited by kimboh on November 21, 2014 6:07PM
<l Cygnus X|VR14|Sorc l>
<| Romulus Prime|VR12|Temp |>
<| Qwoptus |lvl30|DK|>
<| DC|EU |>
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yup.

Can't interrupt a spider while feeding because it seems to prioritize targeting a dead mob over a live one.

Every group of spiders ends up with at least one which has to effectively be killed twice because it fed on a corpse all the way back up to full health.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Tonturri
    Tonturri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Press tab while hovering the targeting thinger over the living spider to have your attacks go to the living target.
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    Tonturri wrote: »
    Press tab while hovering the targeting thinger over the living spider to have your attacks go to the living target.

I think he may have just solved our problems...
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tonturri wrote: »

I move around or to the spiders or use Invasion to interrupt these things. While they are feeding, they are not going to attack you. So, for those moments they are benign. Unless of course there are other mobs around you are also dealing with, then adjusting the target would be the best tactic in that case.

I have also determined that the character's line of site has something to do with this, like when your Invasion does not trigger like you think it should, or the Pets to not attack the target you want. It has to do with the character or the pets line of site, not your camera's line of site (which for me is usually above the fray, not in line with the character's head) So, for those who don't like to use the Tab, then move to another position and you can probably target the normal way.

What irks me is when I fire off an expensive spell at a mob and it hits a rat even though the target clearly indicates the mob. It's not intuitive to use the Tab at that time.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• kimboh
    kimboh
    ✭✭✭✭

Nestor wrote: »
    So, for those who don't like to use the Tab, then move to another position and you can probably target the normal way

Yeah, I had to walk 360 around the feeding spider until I found the right angle to target from.
    <l Cygnus X|VR14|Sorc l>
    <| Qwoptus |lvl30|DK|>
    <| DC|EU |>
  • Kreetar
    Kreetar
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, I understand this frustration. I often use the two-handed Uppercut to sort of interrupt it and knock it back, which makes it easier.
    dip me in the blood of mortals and throw me to the Dremora

• McLukos
    McLukos
    ✭✭✭
    Cos they are Spiders... evil... in such a small package...
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm from Australia, Spiders in game are fine just the way they are.

Or to put it another way, they are much better than facing the alternative of real life spiders...

r979003_10690868.jpg

Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• whiteshadow711jppreub18_ESO
    whiteshadow711jppreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just use the Block stun to stop them from eating and gaining health and use TAB to target them..spider dead..
    Signed, Kotaro Atani.PS5 NA
    VR16/ CP 160 Khajiit Nightblade of the Aldmeri Dominion, Guildmaster and Assassin of the Queen's Hand guild on NA PC. PvP Officer in the WOLF guild on NA PS5, and of course Master Thief. Currently 3120 CP out of 3600 CP on NA PS5. Currently 810 CP on NA PC (used for PTS testing purposes only). On PS5 I am also a Master Crafter, all traits done and learned, Jewelry crafting done. all Motifs learned on PS5 except for maybe two-three Motifs. Both Companions are Max level as are their Skills.Warrior, Lover, Thief.... Nightblade. Aldmeri Dominion For Life! For the Queen!! Go Dominion or go home ! "I have no hatred for the races of Man, but they are young. Like all children, they are driven by emotion. They lack the wisdom that comes with age. I would sooner place an Altmer infant on the Ruby Throne than surrender Tamriel to their capricious whims. The Altmer, the Bosmer and the Khajiit share the common traits of intelligence, patience and reason. We do not seek riches or plunder. Domination is not our goal, nor is the acclamation of power for its own sake. Today we make our stand. Today we take back the Ruby Throne, which is ours by ancient right and the blessings of the Divines. Stand with us." ―Your Queen Commands, Ayrenn Arana Aldmeri.(All 18 characters are AD only! This one is a AD Loyalist)Member of ESO Since January 29, 2014, started early Access 3/30/14 on PC, currently subbed on NA PS5 and on NA PC. Note- I only use PC for PTS testing purposes, the PS5 is my dedicated Game Platform.Note- for those that don't know how to say Kotaro Atani it's "Ko tar row Ah ta ni" (Ko with a Oh sound, tar which sounds like the sticky black tar stuff, row like rowing a boat, Ah with a AHHHH sound, Ta with a Tahhh sound, Neeee which sounds like knee)"The blowing sands of time wipe clean the footprints of the past...""Moonsugar may be the key to paradise, but it is through a false door...""A perfect society is always elsewhere..."- Unknown book of Khajiiti proverbs.
  • kimboh
    kimboh
    ✭✭✭✭
    just use the Block stun to stop them from eating and gaining health and use TAB to target them..spider dead..

That's the problem, if you can't target them you cannot interrupt them with block stun.

The dead spider takes priority over the feeding one.

Edited by kimboh on November 21, 2014 11:06PM
    <l Cygnus X|VR14|Sorc l>
    <| Qwoptus |lvl30|DK|>
    <| DC|EU |>
  • kimboh
    kimboh
    ✭✭✭✭
    Valymer wrote: »

Thanks for the link, I did a search earlier but didn't see this thread, cheers.
    <l Cygnus X|VR14|Sorc l>
    <| Qwoptus |lvl30|DK|>
    <| DC|EU |>
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »
    Yup.

Can't interrupt a spider while feeding because it seems to prioritize targeting a dead mob over a live one.

Every group of spiders ends up with at least one which has to effectively be killed twice because it fed on a corpse all the way back up to full health.

"Scatter Shot", "Uppercut", "Destructive Touch (Fire)" all do knockback which stops them feeding. If you can target them then "Fiery Grip" will drag them away and "Piercing Javelin" will do knockback.

All of these work to intterupt a Spider feeding. My sorcerer always does DT(F) to them using a Destruction Staff. Hmmmmm.... I guess I do have reason for my Healer Templar to get Piercing Javelin and put it on the bar....
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Lord_Kreegan
    Lord_Kreegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Similar problem, but different... since the last patch I'm getting lots of mobs and objects I can't interact with even though they have the golden glow... Sometimes after I wait a while that changes; sometimes I have to move around and select them with the mouse from a different angle; sometimes I have to fire off a skill and then I can target the object... a lot of times I just say "screw it" after about twenty tries and get on with my life.

Seeing as how I submitted feedback on the hitboxes being too large (thus the dead spider dilemma), maybe ZOS is now punishing me...
  • Valymer
    Valymer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Similar problem, but different... since the last patch I'm getting lots of mobs and objects I can't interact with even though they have the golden glow... Sometimes after I wait a while that changes; sometimes I have to move around and select them with the mouse from a different angle; sometimes I have to fire off a skill and then I can target the object... a lot of times I just say "screw it" after about twenty tries and get on with my life.

Seeing as how I submitted feedback on the hitboxes being too large (thus the dead spider dilemma), maybe ZOS is now punishing me...

Well, it's not a matter of them being too large...dead mobs don't need hitboxes at all. There is seriously no reason to target them.
  • wafcatb14_ESO
    wafcatb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Not supposed to target anything , thats why the game is area of effect based , just pull a bunch of them and aoe them down .
  • Valymer
    Valymer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not supposed to target anything , thats why the game is area of effect based , just pull a bunch of them and aoe them down .

Then why do we have single-target abilities?
  • Lord_Kreegan
    Lord_Kreegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it's not a matter of them being too large...dead mobs don't need hitboxes at all. There is seriously no reason to target them.

Not targeting them, trying to target things behind them... or behind other live mobs (e.g., kill the healer keeping up the health of the tank who is charging me... only the tank's hit box is too large for me to click on the healer for a ranged attack).
  • Valymer
    Valymer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not targeting them, trying to target things behind them... or behind other live mobs (e.g., kill the healer keeping up the health of the tank who is charging me... only the tank's hit box is too large for me to click on the healer for a ranged attack).

Let me be clearer.

The reason that you sometimes can't target things behind dead mobs is because mob corpses can actually be "targetted."

There is no reason that they should be. You don't need to attack a dead mob.

But if you are saying that living mob hitboxes are too large, I guess I could agree a little there. I have found that soft-targetting (with TAB) helps me hit mobs that are really close together or behind other living mobs, etc.

It does seem to help avoid casting on mob corpses as well.

However, this does not change the fact that mob corpses should not be targettable at all.
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have been sending feedback about the crappy targeting system for a while. I constantly end up targeting a dead body if an enemy is standing on one. I also end up accidentally targeting critters instead of enemies and sometimes it's gotten me killed. Tab targeting helps a lot there, but I feel like targeting critters should only be possible through tab in order to save the trouble of accidentally attacking them instead of the mob that's attacking me.

rip decibel
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh so it's not just me. Woot. I suppose. Keep getting that on spiders in Fungal, annoying beyond words. "Oh it's feeding, now I'm just gonna interrupt it with my Crushing shock! ...interrupt...wait, wth..."-.-
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ita on the spiders, they disappear behind their dead mates most of the time.

i'm going to have to set a key or mouse button for targeting, tab is my inventory goto key.

• Helluin
    Helluin
    ✭✭✭
    But for spiders, the feeling is that they changed something about targeting and in a worse way than before: looting sometimes gives problems and especially critters during many fights are terribly annoying because you simply waste resources and time.
    "... and the blue fire of Helluin flickered in the mists above the borders of the world, in that hour the Children of the Earth awoke, the Firstborn of Ilúvatar."
  • Crusism
    Crusism
    ✭✭
    To be honest, I can't ****-ing stand the spiders corpse eating heal thing. It's worse when you're fighting 6 spiders and all of them decide to do it when they're all spread far away from each other (so AoE knockbacks don't help unless spammed with enough magicka) and you only have stamina to knock back two.

This self-healing nonsense either needs to be removed from the game or have the spiders' max health decrease or have the healing toned down. It's stupidly absurd to have to stay in a dungeon longer just because every mob can heal itself after one of them dies.

Why do they even have a self-heal?
    They have a range attack, a heavy melee attack, an AoE slow and a damage dot with decent hp and usually in groups of 4 spiders. That and dungeons usually have a lot of groups of them rather than just a few. Why have all of them have a self-heal? They're completely capable to be a challenge without.

And why do they tank more than other mobs like ghosts, wolves and bat people? They actually have more health than all of those three types of enemies at the same level. I actually checked out of annoyance.

Fighting them is a complete waste of time, and I'm just glad that spiders aren't everywhere.
    Edited by Crusism on January 1, 2015 3:16PM
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Crusism wrote: »
    To be honest, I can't ****-ing stand the spiders corpse eating heal thing. It's worse when you're fighting 6 spiders and all of them decide to do it when they're all spread far away and you only have stamina to knock back two.

This either needs to be removed from the game or have the spiders' max health decrease or have the healing toned down. It's stupidly absurd to have to stay in a dungeon longer just because every mob can heal itself after one of them dies.

Why do they even have a self-heal?
    They have a range attack, a heavy melee attack, an AoE slow and a damage dot with decent hp and usually in groups of 4 spiders. Why have all of them have a self-heal? They're completely capable without.

Yeah, that's one of the worse ones.

Mind you It's also annoying when you have two Healers who reinforce each other, or the one where a Necromancer sacrifices himself to summon a Soulshriven (especially if you've gotten him down to a slither)
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crusism wrote: »
    It's worse when you're fighting 6 spiders and all of them decide to do it when they're all spread far away from each other (so AoE knockbacks don't help unless spammed with enough magicka) and you only have stamina to knock back two.

There's a morph for one of the Templar Morphs of Restoring Aura called Repentance which would consume the bodies I think, but honestly, the other morph always seems better. As a sorcerer I use the Destruction staff "clench" to stop them. With Templar it's simple to use Piercing Spear. The DK can use chains but the NB has to rely on melee things. Bow, 1HS and 2H all have something that will work but DW doesn't. So if you are a NB DW person you are munted fighting large groups of spiders while feeding.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Karnus
    Karnus
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is still a nerd rage inducing problem.
    Formerly Karnus, the Marauder in Warhammer.
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Corpses are targetable by skills and light attacks.
    Corpses obscure interactables that should have a higher priority (e.g. bonfires in vet DSA).
    Critters seem to always be a preferred target during a fight, despite their tiny size.

Nope, no problem with targeting in this game. Move along now, nothing to see here.
  • smokes
    smokes
    ✭✭✭
    i've noticed i actuallynedd to be closer to spiders in order to hit them than any other mob type.

generally, i'll stealth up behind a mob and cleave 2 of them to death in 1 shot with a 2H greatsword - but i noticed, that i'd sneak up behind a spider, let go of my strong swing and completely miss, then alerting the spider to my presence and having to fight him.

this is from same distance i would attack other npc's from behind and slay them without a problem.

i then noticed this was happening every time i was sneaking up on a spider, so my only course of action was to sneak closer than i usually would, and bang, dead spider.

looks like their hitboxes have been shrunk a little. just get closer to them then you would any other mob, try and stamp on the hairy leggy critters